Show And Tell Review

artist: silvertide date: 03/25/2008 category: compact discs
silvertide: Show And Tell
Released: Jun 8, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Post-Grunge, Alternative Pop/Rock, Garage Rock Revival
It's all about having a good time and it comes out in every song.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.8
 9.6
 9.9
Show And Tell Reviewed by: Vinny_Barberino, on september 30, 2004

Sound: Straight from the 70's are Silvertide. It's beautifully written classic style rock for this decade. It's all about having a good time and it comes out in every song. This is what music is supposed to be, lengthy guitar solos, hard rock riffs, it's like the second coming of Zeppelin sometimes. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics are pure rock and roll. Sex, Drugs, Love, and loss of Love, are the main topics on hand. A lot of rehashed fare in tracks like "Devils Daughter", "You Want it All", "Blue Jeans", but there are some real shining tracks towards the end lyrics wise. "Heartstrong" and "Nothing Stays" are beautiful balladish songs, meanwhile "Foxhole J.C." is a great rocking anti-war song which sounds like nothing much else on the album. The lyrics really make it meaninful and a gem. "War, war, what is it for?" brings chills to me at the end of the song. The lyrics always fit the music, almost excusively about having a good time, which is what this album is. Walt the lead singer, sounds great on lots of songs, even if he isin't the most unique. He morphs from Black Crowes' on "Ain't Comin Home", "Devils Daughter", to Steven Tyler on "You Want It All". But its old style rock music, it deserves that type of voice. // 10

Overall Impression: This blows away anything written in the last 20some years if you like real rock music. How can you compare this to Nu-Metal? or Nickelback or something? This isin't watered down, this is heartfelt fun music made from guys who knew how to play their instruments first. You can only compare it to the albums and artists it draws from like The Who, and Led Zeppelin, and whether it comapres favorably I don't know, but it sure belongs in the same class. I love it all, I hate none, this album makes me happy to own a guitar again. Please give this music a chance, because this is the direction we need to go. It is amazing. I would buy it again in a second. // 10

Show And Tell Reviewed by: Dukefan25, on june 20, 2006

Sound: This is the ultimate classic rock band playing in the modern day era. It's kind of like Led Zeppelin in the '70s, they're just amazing! Silvertide's smash single "Ain't Comin' Home" was the first to get them radio air time. Things only have gone uphill. Every song on their CD has that classic rock vibe with its own unique voice, flat out amazing solos, and ear pleasing riffs. It's the kind of CD that you can play over and over and over and over again and not get sick of it. // 10

Lyrics: Love, sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll, what else is there to sing about? Mainly love and lost love and drugs. The music is what gets you to listen to the lyrics and the lyrics are what will keep you listening. Great job. Lead singer Walt Lafty has a unique voice which will keep you focusing on what comes out of his mouth. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my all-time favorite CDs. As I said before, you can listen to it over and over and over again and still want more. Best songs from the album are: Ain't Comin' Home (which makes a great ringtone for when your parents call), Devil's Daughter, California Rain, those were just picked out a little better than the rest of the cd because everything is just so good. If I ever lost this thing I'd buy 2 more in case it got stolen again so I would still have one. // 10

Show And Tell Reviewed by: ZososoZ, on october 26, 2004

Sound: These guys are geniuses. They are helping the classic rock revival and in my opinion are going to make it big. The combination of singer Walt Lafty and lead guitarist Nick Perri are remeniscent of the great duos in rock history, Perry & Tyler, Rose & Slash, Mick & Keef and even the great Plant & Page. The extended solos are just superb and there is fantastic variation between songs. // 10

Lyrics: Very uplifting lyrics although I'm not too keen on S.F.C. which is probably the only song which I'm not too keen on. There are some great ballads in Heartstrong and Nothing Stays, the latter being my favourite of the two. Aint comin home is just agreat uplifting party song and obviously not wanting to come home. Lafty's lyrics try to create a double entendre and his lyrics are basically about sex drugs and rock n roll. Lafty has an incredible voice which suits the bands sound perfectly, he also has a great rnge of vocal talents. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been waiting for this album for over a year as the release dates have kept being put back and now that is has been released I am not at all disappointed. This album creates a sense of 70's rock which has been restructured to suit the modern world. The band have all the elements of a historic band, an incredible singer, a virtuoso guitarist and a solid rhythm section. The best tracks are Ain't Comin Home, California Rain, Blue Jeans, Nothing Stays and Foxhole Jesus Christ. I adore this album and the only downside is the song S.F.C. but 10 brilliant songs out of 11 aint bad is it? If I lost this album or if it got scratched I would buy it over and over again. These guys are amazing. // 10

Show And Tell Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 20, 2004

Sound: Silvertide has a fresh sound from the opening song of "I Ain't Coming Home" til the last track "Foxhole JC". The riffs are awesome. The solos are just flat out amazing. The whole cd has a rocking vibe that makes you want to get up and move. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to me are the only let down of this cd. They're nothing great but they could be alot worse. He has a great unique voice and both the vocals and lyrics fit the music perfectly. // 8

Overall Impression: To me this is with out a doubt the best cd of 2004 so far. The standout tracks are "Ain't Coming Home", "Devil's Daughter", "Heart Strong" and "California Rain". I am in love with the album and have been listening to it non stop since I got it. It's very addicting. If it were lost or stolen I would cry all the way to the record store to buy another one! // 10

Show And Tell Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 22, 2005

Sound: Great sound. Incredible vocals. Amazing guitar playing. Reminiscent of many vintage vocal/guitar groups. This isn't crap music, it's no bulls--t straight on rock n' roll, just like it should be. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't the best but they are real, especially compared to a lot of the crap we here nowadays. The flow very well with the music. This is the way music should sound and it hasn't sounded this way in a while. Walt is a great singer and has a lot of presence. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is just amazing. It's the best thing to come to rock n' roll in a long time. After the '80s rock music basically went down the drain music hasn't sounded this good in a while. Aside from such recent bands as Velvet Revolver and The Darkness which are trying to bring back that real rock n' roll back to these new generations. // 10

Show And Tell Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2005

Sound: This album and band in general include a part '70s sound mixed with a bit of today's usual rock. They have a few original riffs that had me interested at first but overall I found the sound too bland and a bit boring in the end. None of the songs really grabbed me in the end and there was nothing really memorable on this disc for me. // 8

Lyrics: I would say that the lyrics weren't bad at all, just again a bit boring and nothing very memorable here. For me, even though I thought the singing was very good sometimes the lyrics seemed to lack any real emotion making them seem like 'just another band.' // 6

Overall Impression: Overall this CD thankfully has a very different sound from most of the crap that's out there today, especially in their inclusion of guitar solos within the songs which add a great vibe to the whole album. If I had to choose one song that was most impressive I would definitely have to say 'Foxhole JC." Basically I like this album because of its true rock feel, however it still doesn't compare to any of the great classic bands like Led Zeppelin, but for what music is available today it's not a bad effort. If it were stolen I don't think I love this album enough to go out and buy it again though because it's just not memorable enough. It's really only worth buying to hear some new talent for once and more so if you've never listened to any real classic '70s rock before, but maybe it would be just better to go out and buy any Led Zeppelin or Iggy Pop or AC/DC album instead. // 8

Show And Tell Reviewed by: ac/guns n zep, on may 10, 2005

Sound: This band is awesome. They are the best band since the old Guns N' Roses. They bring back real rock from the '70s and not just power chords. // 10

Lyrics: Walt Lafty as a lead vocalist is amazing. His voice goes well with the music and he has a great vocal range. The lyrics are also very good. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said they are the greatest band since Guns N' Roses. If you are a classic rock fan (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC etc) and are tired of the new rock bands that all they do are power chords and one finger power chords. My favorite songs are "Ain't Coming Home" and "California Rain." "Blue Jeans" is also a pretty good song. If I lost it I would definitely replace it and buy another one so that I would never have to be without it. They are so awesome. // 10

Show And Tell Reviewed by: GuitarJunkie, on october 17, 2005

Sound: If you like classic rock, then you will cream your pants when you listen to Silvertide. These guys are layin' down the best Rock sound on the market today. This stuff just screams amazing when you listen to it. They really show their versatillity as a band on the debut album with harder rock and classic rock sounding songs, and then easily tone it done on songs like "California Rain," "Heartstrong" and "Nothing Stays." And when was the last time you heard a good anti war song? Well the song Foxhole Jesus Christ is the best anti war song written in the past 2 and a half decades. // 10

Lyrics: Walt Lafty is the ultimate frontman. If you took the best qualities from Steven Tyler, Robert Plant, and Jim Morrison you have Walt Lafty. The lyrics on the album are absolutely poetic. This was not just an album made just for the sake of selling records, this was an album written from the hearts of the 5 members of Silvertide. // 10

Overall Impression: This album blows any rock album released after 1980 out of the water, that's right, if I had a choice I would pick Show 'N' Tell over Appetite For Destruction, or any Van Halen album. The most impressive, or rather my favorite songs on the album are, "Ain't Comin Home," "California Rain," "Foxhole Jesus Christ" and "You Want It All," however every song on the album is worth a listen. I can't start listenting to this album, and not listen to the whole thing from beginning to end, it feels like a sin to interrupt this album while its playing. I'm a very critical person and the only thing I hate is the fact that Silvertide is not getting enough recognition for this amazing album they have realeased. If it were stolen or lost, hell yessi would buy it again, I already have bought two copies of it, just becasue I went to one of their concerts (I already had bought the album) and the only way you could buy the silvertide poster at the merch booth was to buy the CD as well. So hell yea, I bought it twice, and then got my ticket signed by the members of Silvertide, who are probably the coolest rockers in the word to meet. // 10

Show And Tell Reviewed by: skeeter510mn, on january 16, 2006

Sound: Wow. That one word displays my impressions of Silvertide's debut album, "Show And Tell." Although Silvertide's sound has been associated with Guns N'Roses, Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith, they have their own unique sound that refuses to fit into any genre. "Show And Tell" is a pleathera of full on rock, accompanied by the occasional ballad. Pure sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. Catchy guitar riffs by the talented Nick Perri head on the charge that builds to the chorus' and the wonderful feel-good solos. Two of the musicians (Perri included) were only 18 at the conception of this album yet it portrays musical maturity well beyond the ages of the members of the band. "Show And Tell" also portrays many varieties of musical advancement from the simple three chord riff to the intriquite technique of harmonies and rhythms. Overall the sound of this album is charasmatically jovial and full of energy with bits of remorse that tie it together beautifully. // 10

Lyrics: Many harmonies are used with multiple members of the band although Walt Lafty is the true main vocalist. Easiest comparisons relate Lafty to the Black Crowes frontman; no Steven Tyler, yet his vocal techniques and voice fit perfectly with the music. He displays some variation yet throughout most of the album his voice is perfect for the ol' down and dirty rock scene. There couldn't be a better choice. As far as lyrics go, themes of sex, drugs and rock n' roll are displayed throughout. Ex, "Devil's Daughter" (sex), "Mary-Jane" (drugs), and "S.F.C. (So F--king Crazy)" (violence). There are also the occasional few about the heart and one beautiful ballad entitled "Nothing Stays." The album ends in a two part anthem - fast upbeat intro to piano laced finale where "War, war, what is it for?" is repeated amongst all the members of the band. // 10

Overall Impression: Unbelievable. It is best described as simply complex. These contradicting terms give nothing away and that is the beauty of this album. Besides the solos and upbeat riviting riffs, there is something amazing lying underneath the the rest. Something you can't put your finger on that will draw you to this album. No track ever gets old and it is a definite must in any rock fans collection, no matter the genre. A definite 12 out of 10! // 10

Show And Tell Reviewed by: Greek Kid, on september 19, 2006

Sound: Nick Perri and Mark Melchiore Jr. do a pretty solid job of creating riffs and their guitar parts match the music and lyrics very well. Nick Perri's solos almost have a Angus Young sound with blues, country, and '70s hard rock influence. // 9

Lyrics: Walt Laffy writes mainly about sex, partying, drugs, love, and breakups. He is an exceptionally well writer. His very best writing on this album is "Heartstrong". His has a good voice, not the best but still good. He also doesn't have very simplistic lyrics. A lot of his stuff sounds thought out while the other little bit seems right on the moment. // 9

Overall Impression: This is their first album. The most impressive songs in the album are "Ain't Coming Home", "Mary Jayne", and "Nothing Stays". I love the retro vibe coming from it, almost like an Aerosmith. I first heard about these guys on a PSP demo disc. They had their "Ain't Coming Home" music video on it and right away I knew I needed to get their album. I don't really like the sometimes country like sound. If I were to lose this album, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Show And Tell Reviewed by: PinkFender_69, on march 25, 2008

Sound: Silvertide released Show & Tell in September of 2004, however I didn't get around to buying until 2005. I only knew their first single "Ain't Comin' Home" at the time, so I had no idea what to expect. Having said that, I was blown away. The band is a great combination between classic rock and more recent musical trends. They sound similair Buckcherry, but with a lot more energy and a more genuine sleaze element. Nick Perri obviously draws influence from many famous classic rock guitarists, will throwing in his own influence. Walt Lafty has a monster voice, and the rest of the band sounds tight. They're one of few new bands coming out with this style, but they're doing it quite well none the less. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't, per se, the most clever or deep lyrics ever written. There are some lyrics that you find yourself repeating in your head or catch yourself singing, and I'm pretty sure that's what the band was going for. They're not poets, they're rock musicians. THe lyrics also are perfect for the medium they're presented on, they keep that old school rock and roll vibe with themes of love, drugs and, of course, rock 'n roll. Singer Walt Lafty has a voice that perfectly compliments the sound of the band, and he presents the lyrics with a lot of convinction and confidence, which you don't see as much these days. He's also obviously taken note from some classic rock vocalists as he does some Scat-singing, clear delivery and even fakes an orgasm (excellent build up to a guitar solo). As a side note, the occasional back of vocals are very well done, so kudos to the other band members for always being there for the perfect back-up when needed. // 9

Overall Impression: This album isn't exactly the first time this genre has been tackled, but standing next to other modern bands within' the same genre (Buckcherry, Black Stone Cherry) they are doing a much more convincing job. The vocals and music kick some serious ass, and the band sounds very tight. I'd say the stand out tracks on the album are, "Ain't Comin' Home", "Mary Jane", "California Rain", "Devil's Daughter" and "You Want It All." I think the thing I like most about the album is the guitar playing, it's a good change from the common radio-rock bands you see far too much of. The only thing I dislike about the album is the occasional conformity to what's expected of bands nowadays, most prominent in the radio ready single, "Heartstrong." I feel like the band could've been a bit more experimental in those areas, but overall very very good album. If it was stolen I'd hunt them down and burn them a copy, because Silvertide deserves to have everyone hear them. // 10

Comments