Bookends Review

simon and garfunkel: Bookends
Release Date: Mar 1968
Label: Columbia
Genres: Folk-Pop, Pop, Folk-Rock, Singer/Songwriter
Bookends is a literary album that contains the most minimal of openings with the theme, an acoustic guitar stating itself slowly and plaintively before erupting into the wash of synthesizers and dissonance.
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Bookends Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2006

Sound: This is Simon And Garfunkel's best album, and I would recomend it to anyone anywhere. This is where they grow into who they are. I first heard Simon And Garfunkel when I was home sick and I found an old record in my house and put it in the turntable. The more you listen to them, the more they grow on you. In this album, the duo expands from just Garfunkel's voice and Simon's acoustic guitar and use whatever sounds they need to make their vision real. It is truly an experience to sit down and listen to this album. // 10

Lyrics: These are the best lyrics in any Simon and Garfunkel album. Take the line from the song Overs - "No good times, no bad times, theres no times at all, just the New York Times." Garfunkel also uses his voice to contribute to the mood of each piece, and Simon writes lyrics varying from a child contemplating suicide in "Save The Life Of My Child" to an upbeat journey to the Zoo in "At The Zoo," to the strange yet captivating lyrics of "Punky's Dilemna." Garfunkel's voice is at its best on this album, and his best vocal work is featured on this album, except, of course, for the incredible song "Bridge Over Troubled Water," which is on another Simon And Garfunkel album. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is that is is one of my two favorite albums: it is tied with the album "Surrealistic Pillow" by Jefferson airplane. I cannot really compare it to any other music that happens now, perhaps the closest relation is Iron and Wine's version of the song Such Great heights, which is midly reminiscent to early Simon and Garfunkel. I love everything about this album and it is truly amazing. If I lost it, I would buy it again the next day. // 10

More Simon And Garfunkel reviews rating latest review