No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Review

5.6
 6.2
 4.9
No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: GuitaPlaya, on june 06, 2005

Sound: First of all this CD I think is really good and is as good as Good Charlette or even Blink 182! But seriously, I found this CD in a trash can (I kid you not). So I took it home and listened to it. It was crap. To any one who thinks this thing is punk, you are an idiot. This does not even deserve to be in the cattegory of pop-punk. It's more of an Avril Lavigne (or however you spell it) type of music. But at least she can almost play the guitar. // 2

Lyrics: The singer sucks, the lyrics are whinny and stupid. // 2

Overall Impression: If this CD was stolen I'd probably call the person, laugh at them and say, "Jokes on you dip s--t!" I would recomend burning this CD for a friend (litteraly burn it w/fire and flames). This is what happens when the popular kids try to be punks-it doesn't work. I bet these assholes can't even stand on a friggin skate board. From the time you look at its retarded name, to the time you're stomping on it with rage, this thing sucks. // 2

No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: stjimmy1810, on november 25, 2006

Sound: This album, like 'Still Not Getting Any...' has a different tune, beat and sound for each song. From the fast rock of ' I'd do anything ' to the slow but just as good ' Perfect', Simple Plan has produced a great album. Great job they have done. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album, like their second album, Still Not Getting Any..., is mostly describing the lives of some kids, especially teenagers. Take for example, the song 'Perfect'. It is about a child telling his dad that he sorry, no matter how hard he tries, he can't be perfect, like the way his dad wants him to be. It can also be applied to our lives today. For some kids, their parents always want them to get the best. Anything less is not acceptable. This results in the kids experiencing too much pressure and not being able to take it. The songs 'I'd do anything' and ' Addicted' talks about a guy being deeply in love a girl and would do anything to have her again. The song 'I'm just a kid' talks about everyone being able to fit in perfectly and you are the only one left out and you are complaining that your life is a nightmare. // 10

Overall Impression: As usual, when I compare this album with others, people say that it is not a great album, just another album. Nothing special about it. But in my eyes, this album is one of the best ones I have ever known because not only dose each song have a different tune, it also speaks truly of a teenagers life. If it was lost/stolen, I would most definitely buy it back. // 8

No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 08, 2003

Sound: Uhhh... the sound was okay, I expected more out of these guys. I really hadnt heard any of thier stuff outside of shows I saw them in. I went to a show that featured them and they had a decent live show so i bought their album. All i can say is that I expected more. // 6

Lyrics: Really juvinile, which really isnt always a bad thing. Kinda makes you hanker towards a blink 182 cd. I enjoyed some of these things. But mostly I was left feeling like an immature kid. Some things I didnt enjoy, like thier attempt at a tear jerker "perfect." It really sounded, not as a cry for help, but as a story of a kid who never got that power ranger toy that his dad "promised" he'd give him...c'mon, these guys really arent that young. // 4

Overall Impression: Well...I have never really been a fan of this new-wave pop-punk movement sweeping this god-forsaken nation of ours. And this album has got to be the biggest pussy sounding pop-punk cd I've ever heard. I expected more from these guys. It sounds they were influenced by Blink 182 or green day (don't get me wrong those are great pop-punk pioneers, the last of the good ones) but I wanna say good try, you've made alot of junior high and freshman really happy. One more thing...They do have a pretty kickass live show. // 6

No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 23, 2004

Sound: I discovered Simple Plan totally by accident through another band's website (I don't remember which band) and ended up getting their album. I had only heard 10 second clips of their songs on the internet at first, but when I heard the album I was pleasantly surpised. They're unmistakeably pop/punk with catchy guitar riffs and lyrics with Blink-182-style singing. Mark Hoppus (Blink-182) even makes a small appearance in 'I'd Do Anything'. The bonus live track on the CD ('American Jesus' by Bad Religion) is fantastic also and shows the band are capable of making all kinds of neato music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly good and fit into the song nicely except for maybe 'I'm Just A Kid' where it goes "nobody cares 'cause I'm alone in the world is having more fun than me"?!? well, it doesn't make sense to me. The lyrics are very 'Blink-182 style', again, theres songs about being dumped and even songs about 'Alien girlfriends'('My Alien'), which really shows the bands influences. The singing is loud and at times quite uh, 'whiney'? and fits the music and the style perfectly. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of the 'must-have' albums of any music fan, but is best-suited for fans of Blink-182 and New Found Glory. However, the album doesn't come close to Blink-182's 'Take Off Your Pants And Jacket' but it sure has a good old go. The best songs on this album are probably 'I'd Do Anything', 'I'm Just A Kid' and 'Addicted', the worst being 'Meet You There'- its a good song but 4:15 is just a bit too long. If it was ever lost or stolen, I'd probably be really, really upset but I'd just get one of my friends to copy me a new one and buy Gob 'Foot In Mouth Disease' or something instead. // 10

No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 30, 2003

Sound: The sounds are pretty damn good on this CD. The guitar beats can be short and sweet, and it can go all the way up to some kick ass solos. The bass is played very well and works awesome with everything. The drums are awesome too and are played very nicely. My favorite instrument song of the whole CD would have to be "God Must Hate Me". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics smoothly went through nicely throughtout all the songs. Some of the lyrics are about girls, however they are from different points of view. And the rest of the topics lead from parents, to however night when your lieing in your bed feeling sorry for yourself. Good stuff. The best lyrics I think were I'm Just A Kid. // 10

Overall Impression: Hey, great songs. Great music. Great everything. Rock on. // 10

No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: shingouki2000, on february 09, 2004

Sound: The sound was great. The riffs are basically easy to play, but it's all in the chords and changes that they use that make the sound unique. It's not exceptional, but it still stands out in my head. // 8

Lyrics: This is where you get the most controversy. One writer put that the song "Perfect" sounds like a kid who didn't get a toy he wanted, and that this is young highschooler's music. Honestly, if you listen to the words of "Perfect", I get the impression of a kid who will never live up to his father's expectations. The cd also has other songs of that nature, about moving out and so forth. Then there's the songs that are just there, such as My Alien and My Christmas List. Overall, the diversity of lyrics and types of songs are great. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great cd that I'd recommend buying to anyone who listens to punk music. Granted, it may seem a little odd for those who aren't quite as in to the type of music, but it's a great album nonetheless. If you're into Good Charlotte, New Found Glory, etc., then Simple Plan will fit right in to your collection. // 10

No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is punk, and more no less. If your into heavier rock or metal, don't get this. Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with punk, but I personally feel this album really cheapens the image of punk. It does have some good sounds and cathchy riffs on it but as one of the other guy said. It has a really immature fell about it, and most of the songs sound the same. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are nothing special. Most of the lyrics are about trivial things, nothing really deep or detailed about it. Again the lyrics are about subjects that would mean something only to a person who has no social life. The singing quality is anything you can expect from a punk-rock band and isn't too bad. // 6

Overall Impression: In my opinion this album has nothing on other kick-ass punk/rock bands such as Green Day, NFG and Blink 182. I would definetly not buy it again. Don't get this album if you are into hard rock and metal. // 4

No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: kjohnson08, on december 16, 2004

Sound: This album has some pretty catchy riffs in them, but the over all sound of it just plain sucks. The singers voice is really whiney, I would say this band is best suited to the kids that are getting into the "punk" trend. // 2

Lyrics: I personally don't like the lyrics, if these guys didn't have guitars and drums, I would probably mistake them for the Backstreet Boys. In other words, all the songs are either about are getting dumped someone or how bad life is. The singer's voice has to be the most whiney voice I have ever heard. // 2

Overall Impression: If I would compare this band to anyone it would be Good Charlotte because they came out around the same time, but compared to Good Charlotte, Good Charlotte is better and less whiney like. I noticed how people compared Simple Plan to Green Day and Blink 182 and other bands like them, I personally wouldn't do that because to me the way this album sounds, makes Blink 182 seem heavy compared to them. I didn't find any songs on this album impressive at all and I hate everything about it. If it were lost and or stolen, I wouldn't care because I alread traded it for Drowning Pool. // 2

No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 16, 2005

Sound: Musically, there is nothing special about this band. Their pop-punk sound is similar to Blink 182 and their singer sounds similar as well. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are filled with cliches and normal punk topics like girlfriends, growing up, partying, and anything else a teenager goes through. Still nothing special. // 6

Overall Impression: This band does have some catchy songs and nice riffs, but overall they're not very good. Don't get this CD unless you're a person who likes popular music where you can already figure out the lyrics and they sound like any person could write them. These are just another pop-punk band that you don't need to get. // 4

No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: ClashRocker66, on june 24, 2005

Sound: Ok, now just so everyone does know. I have bought this album to listne to, so don't think I'm a raving "Classic Rock Freak." Now that we've got that settled. The album's sound is nothing original. Very repetitive lyrics, all about girls and teenage problems, go figure right? Well I suppose if you wanna completely stereotype yourself and join this mob of just about every teenager in becoming a "punk" then sure go ahead and buy this. But realize, punk is nothing new and started way back in the '70s, this is pop with influences of those '70s punk rock bands. I suggest you check them out and see what punk rock really is. // 4

Lyrics: Lyrics were, again, repetitive. Absolutely nothing special. On par with almost any song by Blink 182, and Green Day after their album: Kerplunk. And whoever wrote a review saying their lyrics are about all the usual punk topics obviously has no idea what punk is. Girls was not a "punk" topic to sing about until the late '90s. '70s and '80s punk lyrics were more in your face, this is reality, be a rebel sorta lyrics this sadly is not fail. // 2

Overall Impression: It will compare with any other "punk" (again with the quotes) band on the radio. No songs impressed me at all, mostly cause they're all the same. I suppose, if you're one that can relate to these lyrics, and if it helped you through some rough times, all the more power to you. Just realize this is pop, music made for the masses. Trust me I know it hurts, I hate to categorize music like this but it seems so necessary in the situation. I suggest other bands in the punk genre like: The Clash, Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, The Ramones, and Nofx. I really suggest Nofx cause they were able to keep their punk roots while conforming slightly to the pop image. // 4

No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: groupbreaker101, on march 19, 2010

Sound: Well, I found the sound to be very entertaining, though to some it may sound the same, but when you really pay attention to the music you'll know that there's much difference between the sound song like "Addicted" and "Perfect". Its simple pop/punk with a bit of punk in at least one or 2 songs that are in this album. The music is fun, like singing about being a teenager without the whole self-loathing faze that Nirvana or The smashing pumpkins had brought back in the 90's. Simple Plan definitely gave their all with the music in this album, and it is not bad at all, sure it's pretty simple, but that's not bad, I mean there are hundreds of songs that are extremely simple and yet still are mentioned as great, and the songs in this album are no exceptions. // 8

Lyrics: Ok, the lyrics are straight forward, which is great for anyone who doesn't need deep lyrics. Really punk if may so myself, punk has always been about being straight forward, no deepness or anything which what makes punk great and simple plan sticks to that. The best is how anyone can easily relate to this, whether you are a teenager or an adult, some teenagers can hear songs like "Perfect", "I'd do anything" and have something where they can let out the difficulties of having parents who want perfection or in love with a former lover and adults can hear this and look back at those days of heart-break and hardness growing up. The lyrics are easy, simple and very well done. Pierre does not sing bad at all, but to me a singer doesn't need to have great voice (example: Johnny Rotten the sex pistols) but a charisma that backs up the music and the songs that he or she sings and Pierre sings well and backs up the music perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: Well compared to other pop/punk albums, like blink 182's take off your pants and jacket or sum 41's all killer no filler, this is the only album in which I actually enjoyed every single song that appeared in here. Best songs would be Perfect a great song about the hardships of over demanding parents and I'm just a kid a song about being either the school loser or geek, I love those two specially due to the fact that the lyrics are not deep and they put the meaning out there. I love every single riff lyrics and song in this album, fun immaturity and I have nothing I dislike about this album. If I ever lost once, I would buy it because this album is the album that got intrieged in rock music. // 10

No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2005

Sound: The sound of this band is really great. They aren't like Good Charlotte, but then again they kinda are. The music is punk/rock and I love the sound. The songs to me are very catchy probally because they are my favorite band. They also got me through some hard times like when my 'rents got a divorce. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics got me through the most hard times. And then the music fits in with the lyrics. I think the singer (Pierre Bouvier) is really talented, I mean it's like he was born into this world just so he could rock out with Simple Plan. // 10

Overall Impression: Comparison to Good Charlotte, Green Day, Papa Roach, and Letterkills this is the best band ever to hit this planet! The most impressive songs on this album are "God Must Hate Me," "Addicted," and "I'm Just A Kid" because they really got me hyper! I love the whole thing. I hate nothing about this band and their music. I would get the album again if it got stolen or lost. // 10

No Helmets, No Pads... Just Balls Reviewed by: Jaded7, on april 08, 2010

Sound: Simple Plan: a band whose plan was to simply be the next big punk band. And it worked for a while. The album No Helmets... was a huge hit and a few of the songs on the album became big radio-friendly hits. But the hot topic question remains: does this make the album any good? Quite frankly..........no, The overall sound sounds as if the Ramones met the Backstreet Boys and somehow merged their music, which does sound like a bold and ballsy move on paper. Hearing it is a different story; it sounds more like a complete mess with the traditional three-chord formula gone horribly wrong. There are times where the guitars sound hard and heavy during songs lime "Perfect", but in the end sound more like something heard from rehearsal sessions than actual recorded music. Other times, the album will be over-the-top poppy, such as in the intro for "Addicted", which sounds more like a strange wannabe "Sweet Child O' Mine". // 1

Lyrics: Now normally with a bad album, it is the overall sound that is the worst part. But to my surprise, it's not. The lyrics are definitely the worst part with their whiny, over-the-top, nobody-likes-me attitude that sound better on some angst-ridden high school student's diary. And to top it all off, the lead singer's vocals are just plain horrendous. Forget Chad Kroeger or Sanjaya; Pierre Bouvier is one of the worst singers of all time. Period. // 1

Overall Impression: I don't have much to say about this album, but that's the "beauty" of it; there's not much on this album to talk about and the most basic things on any rock record are screwed up beyond belief. In fact, I have to give this album the honor of being the worst album of all time. Worse than Fall Out Boy's Infinity On High, worse than Nickelback's Silver Side Up, and worse than anything Ringo Starr has ever made. // 1

More Simple Plan reviews rating latest review