Hyaena Review

artist: siouxsie and the banshees date: 06/29/2011 category: compact discs
siouxsie and the banshees: Hyaena
Released: Jun 8, 1984
Genre: Post-Punk
Label: Polydor (UK), Geffen/Warner Bros. (USA)
 4.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Hyaena Reviewed by: swave75, on june 29, 2011

Sound: This is a more mature Siouxsie And The Banshees. "Hyaena" features piano, keyboards, and some wonderful lyrics written by Siouxsie Sioux and Steven Severin. It also has Robert Smith from the Cure on this album. He joined after John McGoech left. It is hard for me to knock Robert Smith. I think he borrowed some ideas from McGeoch to keep The Banshees sound alive and it works well for this album. This is clear as day on songs like "We Hunger" and "Bring Me The Head Of The Preacher Man". But, this album features some cool keyboard playing I assume by Smith and Severin. It really carries some of the songs like "Take Me Back" and "Swimming Horses". And Budgie is a great drummer. He really carries the songs on this album. // 9

Lyrics: Siouxsie Sioux and Steven Severin's lyrics usually dark and mysterious. Though on this release they are also very arty. Just listen to "Swimming Horses". "He gives birth to swimming horses" is the hook in that song. Very mind boggling but kinda cool as well. And the piano for that song really flows well with it as does Budgie's drumming. And I love their cover of "Deat Prudence". I really think they do this Beatles classic justice. It shows Robert Smith isn't that bad of a guitar player and Steven Severin and Budgie bass and drums really groove along well with this song. I could listen to the opening riff of "Bring Me The Head Of The Preacher Man" over and over again (and I have). Siouxsie Sioux has a nice voice and is underrated as far as women of rock go. // 9

Overall Impression: I would say that while it doesn't represent their sound as much as "Juju", it is still a great album. Without McGeoch, they had to pursue different kinds of sounds like the piano and keyboards but it work well on "Hyaena". My favorites songs are "We Hunger", "Swimming Horses", "Bring Me The Head Of The Preacher Man" and their cover of The Beatles song "Dear Prudence". Not a big fan of the song "Running Town". It's a weak song on this album. If it were stolen I would get the remastered version. For some reason on the regular copy, it doesn't contain "Dear Prudence" but the LP and remastered CD does. // 9

More Siouxsie And The Banshees reviews rating latest review