Juju Review

Label: Polydor
 4.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Juju Reviewed by: swave75, on june 28, 2011

Sound: Siouxsie and the Banshees released Juju in 1981. This album features some of the most inventive guitar work by the late John McGeoch. He left his band, Magazine, who the critics loved but sadly couldn't obtain the fame he wanted. With the Banshees he did achieve fame and this is one their best albums. McGeoch's riff are all original and wonderful and I think this album best represents this. "Juju" is one of Siouxsie and the Banshees dark/gothic albums. Songs like "Arabian Knights", "Night Shift" (which has an excellent bass riff by Steven Severin), and "Halloween" totally show the dark themes Siouxsie and the Banshees are known for throughout their long career. // 9

Lyrics: Siouxsie Sioux and Steven Severin are the main songwriters. "Night Shift" is one of those dark, moody songs that not a lot of other bands could write. It's one of my favorites. "Arabian Knights" is the hit off this album and features some excellent guitar playing by McGeoch. He is so underrated and I think anyone who hasn't heard of him and loves listening to some different ought to give him a chance. I read somewhere that he is called the New Wave Jimmy Page. "Into the Light" is another example of this. Siouxsie and the Banshees have had many guitar players (including Robert Smith) and they all were great but McGeoch was her favorite and on this album his playing totally runs off of what she is singing about. // 9

Overall Impression: I would say that this album best represents the Banshees music. Though they did dip into the pop side of music a few releases later and I really like most of their albums, this would be the one I recommend. My favorites are "Arabian Knights" (which has a cool video too) and "Night Shift". I guess the only thing I don't like is the album cover. It's lame but I didn't buy it for the cover. If it were stolen I would buy the remastered one to replace it. // 9

More Siouxsie And The Banshees reviews rating latest review