Skid Row Review

skid row: Skid Row
Release Date: 1989
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Pop-Metal, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Hair Metal
Though their debut is the most radio-friendly and least musically mature of their albums, it does have some excellent songs on it.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.8
 8.9
 8.6
Skid Row Reviewed by: AxlRose54, on january 10, 2006

Sound: This is probably one of the best hair metal CD's ever. It came out late, at the end of the hair metal era, (1989) which is why many people may not have heard of it. Skid Row's CD, Skid Row, is by far their best CD. Most of the songs on the album are great, my favorites include: Big Guns, Sweet Little Sister, 18 And Life, Youth Gone Wild, and I Remember You. The band has great talent, Sebastian Bach is a great singer and David Sabo is amazing on lead guitar. If you have not heard of this album, your missing out on something. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are great, just listen to "I Remember You" and you'll know what I mean. Sebasitan Bach can hit the high notes, and has great range, can be compared to Axl Rose. The lyrics fit perfect with the music, this is just a great CD. // 8

Overall Impression: if you like this, you might also like: Guns N' Roses, Pantera, Ratt. The most impresive songs are: 18 And Life, YGW, and I Remember You. This is probably the best hair metal band of the late '80s, and they continued to produce music well into the '90s. // 9

Skid Row Reviewed by: les_paul_01, on august 06, 2007

Sound: This album pretty much characterises the glam metal scene that was of peak popularity for a large amount of the '80s. Skid Row were more towards the heavier sides of this, as opposed to bands like Poison and Def Leppard who definitely had a stronger Pop sensibility. This album was released in 1989, which was in effect the last year this kind of music would have been so accepted on the airwaves. speaking typically, artists of the Glam Metal weren't too far removed from one another in terms of sound, as in it isn't too much of a big leap from, say Poison to Ratt, whereas for example Nirvana and Soundgarden (2 of the very biggest acts from the outbreak of Grunge) have a vastly different sound. You could say this is a kind of slicker Appetite For Destruction. It contains fairly standard Glam-metal fare, as in for the most part it's a hard rocker with lyrics about girls, sex, alcohol, violence, sex, girls, alcohol, and so forth. And like most of such albums, it contains a power ballad (in this case "I Remember You"). // 9

Lyrics: Sebastian Bach is in top form for this album. his voice is kind of a less harsh Axl Rose (sorry for the constant GN'R references, I just can't help it). His voice suits the music perfectly, ranging from tough boy, growling songs about rebellion ("Youth Gone Wild") to tender songs about the opposite sex and longing after of aforementioned gender ("I Remember You"). The latter song demonstrates a pretty remarkable range, hitting some fairly spandex-shrinking high notes. He uses his voice in a really engaging way. it's hard to imagine him in the studio recording these without him grasping the mic stand, eyes tight shut and clenching his fists. In other words, it sounds like he's really feeling the songs, which comes off rather well. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I mentioned earlier, this album is kind of like a slicker Appetite For Destruction. I won't compare them as in this one sucks and the other one rules or vice versa, they're both just brilliant in their own seperate ways. If you appreciate any 80s Glam/Hair Metal (is there any difference? ) you should really appreciate this. songs like "Youth Gone Wild", "Big Guns" and "I Remember You" should be the most well-remembered of such music. Personally, my favourite song is "18 and Life". It toes the line between moderate rocker and Power Ballad, probably avoiding the latter as it avoids corniness a fair bit (which I hate to say, "I Remember You" kind of fails to avoid). Unlike many other of such albums, after the first few (usually brilliant) songs, this one doesn't descend into mindless filler. Songs are tightly constructed, and although perhaps use the same formula a bit too much, it doesn't become stale. I would be more than happy performing any song from this at a Battle Of The Bands, or some such. I'm currently into my 3rd copy of this album. It may seem a bit stupid, but I love having a physical copy of the album, and mine tends to get scratched rather quickly. So, if you have any respect for such '80s rock/metal, give this record a listen. It's pretty engaging for the whole way through, which makes for an enjoyable listen. // 9

Skid Row Reviewed by: Rock&RollCentre, on april 21, 2011

Sound: Make no mistake. This album rocks aloud with screaming guitar licks and powerful vocals from frontman Sebastian Bach, singer of Skid Row at the time of this albums release in 1989. The album contains eleven hard rocking tracks that have a borderline heavy metal feel particularly some of the guitar solos by lead guitarist Dave "The Snake" Sabo. From listening to all the tracks on this album it's clear to see the talent of the band line up at the time being Dave "The Snake" Sabo, Rachel Bolan, Sebastian Bach, Rob Affuso and Scotti Hill. These guys really do deliver and put their all into this album. There is an aggressive feel and attitude put across especially through Sebastian Bach's gruff and powerful vocals. "Skid Row" is different to most other rock and glam metal albums released at the time like Poison and Whitesnake albums and delivers an aggressive feel to this album, not to dissimilar to Guns N' Roses. // 9

Lyrics: The tracks on this album all have a strong focus on teenage struggles and life on the city streets. The main song focusing on this intriguing topic is the single "18 And Life". This song is an amazing hard rock song with emotional lyrics and musical composition about an eighteen year old boy named Ricky who accidentally shot his friend and was sentenced to life imprisonment. This song has an almost haunting guitar intro before the moving lyrics of the song begin. // 8

Overall Impression: The highlights of this album are "18 And Life", "Youth Gone Wild", "Big Guns" and "I Remember You". However there is not a song on this album that can really be put down as of poor quality. "I Remember You" is a great power ballad that you will not forget. It's guitar solo has enough emotion to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and the almost growled like voice of Sebastian Bach adds an overall amazing feel to an already great song. Overall this is a great album, even if at times some of the power ballads can be a bit generic to others at the time but nevertheless they are emotionally and masterfully written. "Skid Row" is a hard rocking late 1980s album that is a must for rock fans worldwide and therefore earns itself a rating of: 9/10. // 9

Skid Row Reviewed by: a real DEAD one, on january 10, 2006

Sound: Thsi was Skid Row's debut album, people looked at it and porbably thought it too be typical hair metal (which they loved anyways). When they listened to it ther heard it was ore than hair metal, it was a mixture of high flying vocals not of a whiney hair metal vocalist but it even has a hard core sound to it. The guitars are really distorted nicley with a touch of artificial harmonics. Skid Row was based in New Jersey with influential bands such as Motley Crue, Bon Jovi (Dave The Snake Sabo formerly played for him), and Kiss. The fact that Skid Row wasn't just a chip off the old black hair metal band caused Skid Row to become popular with heavy and hair metal fans. // 9

Lyrics: Skid Row's self-titled album isnt as well deveoped as Slave To The Grind but their are some songs that showed great potential for the up and coming metal band. The name Skid Row comes from the '30s implying to places near bars and brothels which was a place were vagrants, drunks, and addicts hung out. Skid Row's songs even comply to thier band name. 18 And Life, a ballad about a young boy in jail for killing his best friend in a drunken slump, shows a soft yeat hard and heavy side of bachs vocals and Dave and Rachel's guitars. Songs like Youth Gone Wild show a stick it to the man metal sound with high vocals and raunchy guitars ceating a defiant sound. Bach is just an amazing singer, one of the golden voices in rock and roll. // 10

Overall Impression: Skid Row is hard to compare with other bands but any other hair metal band doesnt stand much of a chance, Skid Row was one of the monsters of rock, unseated in thier popularity by Nirvana in the early '90s they fall down will the other hair metal bands, tragic. The most impresive songs on the album would be 18 And life, Youth Gone Wild, Midnight/Tornado, Piece Of Me, Big Guns, I Remember You, and Sweet Little Sister. I love the vocals and I love the guitars the only thing I hate is that thyer only made 2 albums with Bach, I hate Nirvana. Yea I got it stolen so I did buy it again, great CD. // 9

More Skid Row reviews rating latest review