Comatose Review

skillet: Comatose
Release Date: Oct 3, 2006
Label: Lava
Genres: Alternative CCM, Christian Rock
This is a melodically stunning record in which instrumentation strikes the disc's first chord.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.4
 9.5
 9.2
Comatose Reviewed by: xcrunner1, on december 12, 2006

Sound: Most people describe Skillet's latest effort, Comatose, as a fusion of their last two CDs: Collide and Alien Youth. But it's so much more than that. This symphonic rock album will blow your mind with it's sheer professionalism and crystal clean sound (that they keep live w/the best show ever). Think Metallica vocals and bass meet Evanescence sound effects meet shred guitar. If you're trying to picture it, don't rack your brain, just by the album. But don't let the generalizations fool you, no two songs on the album sound alike. From symphonic metal to pop-rock to punk rock to Bon Jovi-esque ballads, this album has a song for every rock fan. To be critical, this album is softer than Collide, but has 10x better production value. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Rebirthing - massive! 1st single off the album. Think Metallica's S&M with the San Fransisco Symphony orchestra. Strongest song of the album. 02. The Last Night - haunting, Christmas Carol-ish duet between John Cooper and his keyboard-playing wife Korey. Song that deals with the issue of teen cutting: "You come to me with scars on your wrist, this will be the last night feeling like this." Has an awesome bass line during the verse. only giving it this rating because at times the music doesnt't seem to match the lyrics. 03. Yours To Hold - soft acousic ballad, passionate lyrics, a little repetitive, but it suits the song. 04. Better Than Drugs - best guitar parts and most creative lyrics ("You're my addiction, my prescription, my antidote. you kill the poison, ease the suffering, calm the rage when I'm afraid") of the album. Think of a Breaking Benjamin intro giving way to a chorus like Dashboard Confessional's "Vindicated", complete with a solo. Insane right? 05. Comatose - title track, on par with Rebirthing for best song of album, ridiculous violin riff with pounding Linkin Park-like bass. 06. The Older I Get - about John's childhood, sounds just like Nickelback's "Photograph" for some reason, but it's still it's own song. 07. Those Nights - suprise! Relient K piano-punk sound coming at you with a skater-punk breakdown. Who would've thought? 08. Falling Inside The Black - dude, this song is off the chain. Think Linkin Park's "Breaking the Habit" but 5x heavier. The album gem, the most original and creative song of the album. 09. Say Goodbye - this song really bothers me as a Skillet fan, but a lot of people love it. It could easily be a Bon Jovi song. 10. Whispers In The Dark - the second single of the album. This song is ten parts metal and one part punk. Has the best solo of the whole album (guitarist Ben Kasica's sound is very Van Halen-like). 11. Looking For Angels - very ecletic, piano-driven rap track on global issues. could it get any weirder than Alicia Keys meets nu-metal riffage meets Matt Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold (chorus)? That's the only way I know how to describe it, it's the weirdest, boldest closure of any album I've ever heard. // 10

Overall Impression: It's symphonic metal ballad meshed like Linkin Park, Metallica, and Evanescence, but with real guitar solos. Definitly download: Rebirthing, Better Than Drugs, Comatose, Falling Inside The Black, and Whispers In The Dark. I loved everthing about the album except The Older I Get and Say Goodbye. If this album were lost or stolen, it's already ripped to my hard-drive, beacuase it's that worth it. All rock fans; buy it and you won't regret it 'cause it's a stellar production. // 10

Comatose Reviewed by: Griffer38, on january 30, 2007

Sound: Skillet has been a huge name in Christian rock for several years. After three long years, they've finally released their seventh album, Comatose. It's also their most diverse, experimental, and just plain rockin' album yet, adding a lot of strings, Korey's female vocals, and some music that you wouldn't think Skillet would play. Skillet tries a lot of new things in Comatose. Korey Cooper is added as a second vocalist for the band, and she adds a lot of diversity to it. It kind of mixes things up and changes a lot from Collide. They still rock out like crazy, and Korey isn't singing the whole CD long, just enough to keep it from being boring. In "Those Nights", they kind of play the song in a punk style. It's kind of weird hearing these hard panheads we know and love to stray this far out their boundaries, but it does actually work really well. The song, like most all of the songs, appeals to you. // 9

Lyrics: They've grown real mature since their last couple of CD's. "Rebirthing" is all about having a new life in Christ. "Better Than Drugs" talks about how God can be more satisfying than drugs. "The Last Night" is an interesting song where John and Korey are singing back to each other like a conversation. It's all about how you don't have to feel lonely in this world. After Skillet joined a major label, a lot of people thought they would water down their message quite a bit. Not so. Not so at all. // 9

Overall Impression: So what am I trying to say? Get this CD. It's a terrific CD. It's not too hard to scare away some of the people who like their music on the softer side, and is just filled with great music. It may take a few listens for it to sink in, but after that, this will be a CD that you won't want to stop listening to for a long time. // 9

Comatose Reviewed by: chickrawker, on april 05, 2007

Sound: The music on Comatose is full of elaborate melodies, compared to the somewhat monotone melodies of past endeavors. They have full rock ballads, like Yours To Hold and Say Goodbye, and even a maniac metal song, Better Than Drugs. It has swirling guitar, powerful drums, and an addictive riff near the end. Skillet has an almost unique ability to combine strings and rock. And the title track does just that-the song start out with a very fast paced, high string section (the LA Symphony none the less), a drum fill, then the guitar comes in with a very hard riff. The first time I heard it, I was thinking, Ok-did Skillet go soft all of a sudden? But that thought didn't last long- musically, it's one of my favorites on the record. About the only disappointing thing on Comatose is that they seem to take off of the typical Christian song-it sounds really good and hard in the beginning, but then calms down with a simple drum beat and/or piano when the verse starts. But when it picks back up again with churning guitar, you almost forgive what happened before. It seems larger than life from the beginning violin of Rebirthing to the fading out of Looking For Angels. For Comatose, they enlisted the help of producer Brian Howes (Hinder, Hedly), and mixers Chris Lord-Alge (Green Day, Hoodastank) and David Bottrill (Tool, Staind), who I think have done a marvelous job. And another highlight for me is that they added a few guitar solos which Ben Kaisica, who I think is the best Christian guitarist ever, pulled off oh-so-well. The solo in Whispers in the Dark is the most memorable. Another asset that Skillet has, which is more unusual than a chick guitarist, is the chick drummer, Lori Peters. She isn't necessarily the best, but she is the coolest-anytime she plays, you can see energy radiating around the drum set, with her hair whipping around; even getting it stuck in a drum stick. And because the music can be classified as arena rock, it isn't necessarily the most original. But the point of arena rock is to let people rock out-not being original. // 10

Lyrics: When it comes to lyrics, John Cooper (lead vocalist, bassist) knows what to do. The lyrics seem to get deeper with every release. Their lead single off of Comatose, Rebirthing, speaks of new life. I want people to take away the impression of starting over, summed up Cooper, There are a lot of people who feel like they've been let down or that they don't deserve a second chance, but starting over is okay. It can apply to a lot of areas of life-a relationship with your wife [or husband], a friendship or your walk with God, which will hopefully lead people to make things right. That view is expressed with the visual scenery and fashion accents of the music video. Through the windows of a white room where they're playing is lush, green vegetation, and a butterfly spreading it's wings for the first time. They're all dressed up, which one may not expect with heavy guitars, but it very beautifully accents the lyrics. And Cooper's wife Korey (keyboards, programming, BGVs, guitar) is back on support vocals, after (unfortunately) keeping quiet on Collide. Her voice adds a wonderful, almost gothic touch, to the music. On the song The Last Night, it could be considered a duet with John and Korey trading off on vocals. The song is about suicide, which is a very touchy subject-if you don't do it well, it can be taken the wrong way. And Skillet does this very well. You come to me with your scars on your wrist/You tell me this will be the last night feeling like this/I just came to say goodbye/I didn't want you to see me cry, I'm fine/But I know it's a lie. It seems exactly like something a person contemplating suicide would think. I think it's the strongest part of the song, after the bridge-The night is so long when everything's wrong/If you give me a chance/I will help you hold on. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, Skillet did an excellent job. I don't think they could go wrong with lyrics even if they tried-Cooper is always honest with his feelings, and wants to put out only the best of lyrics. And as for the music, it gets better every time! As John J. Thompson wrote in his review, It's honest; it's real; and you can bang your head to it. And I agree! Because Skillet changes their sound every time, it's hard to know if they'll keep it this way. But no matter what they try, their fans, or panheads, will always greet it with open arms. This is one of those albums that that requires being played at full volume! // 9

Comatose Reviewed by: DJRobi1993, on june 20, 2008

Sound: The great guitar licks from Ben Kasica along with Korey Cooper. John's lyrics and voice along with Korey's deliver an un-matchable sound to other bands. The bass is loud unlike most basses and his voice isn't to high or low all matching the overall sound. The violins and solo's are awesome btu you'll just have to see. // 10

Lyrics: Great songs and lyrics that are attatchable to christians and non-christians just talking about the hardships in life. 01. Rebirthing - talks about a new life and how you were nothing and God made you perfect in his eyes. 02. The Last Night - relates to many people and how with God you will never be alone again. 03. Yours To Hold - incorporates Korey's lyrics with love and passion. 04. Better Than Drugs - how God's love is better than drugs (self-explanatory). 05. Comatose - waking up to the world and seeing what is going on and trying to do something about. 06. Older I Get - another love song. 07. Those Nights - about getting away from the world to a place where you feel safe. 08. Falling Inside The Black - how we our fading away and nobody really cares unless we don't go at life alone. 09. Say Goodbye - love song. 10. Whispers In The Dark - my fav. but it talks about how someones always there for you even when you think you aren't. 11. Looking For Angels - talks about the issues in the world and how we try to find someone or something good to turn to. // 9

Overall Impression: No other artists can be compared to Skillet and no matter how much their sounds (and looks) change they will still be them. The best songs in my opinion are Whispers and Comatose but listen and find out for yourself. There is no downside to Skillet even though some may believe it's the girls. They just make it better! I would buy this CD ten times just to say (and prove) I love Skillet but you can be the judge of that. Hope this helps (the deluxe edition is so awesome for the record). Sorry it's 2 years. late but better late then never right? // 10

Comatose Reviewed by: bwingler1, on july 10, 2008

Sound: Skillet is a revolutionary band in the Christian field. It leads most of the market's rock for a reason, and that's because they can pull off a sound that appeals to the mainstream, but lyrics that apply to positive lifestlye. Skillet has a good way to bring some solos and hard brain-beating bass notes into their songs. John Cooper the lead singer has an amazing voice. Ben Kasica and Korey Cooper (John Cooper's wife), show off their musical genius. The drummer Lori Peters has left the band, but while the CD was being made, she did an awesome job. They don't call her Lord Peters for nothing. Overall Skillet takes home one of the best sound awards of Christian Rock today. // 9

Lyrics: Skillet's lyrics are very heartfelt. Their hit song "The Last Night" is talking about a girl who cuts herself at night and has her own secret life and that if she decides to let God take control that this will be the last night alone and the last night spent hurting. Almost every song by Skillet has some sort of meaning to it, which is very nice to have for any band. Overall Skillet has some of the best lyrics, but I still feel they're lacking a little bit. // 9

Overall Impression: Skillet just finished off a tour with Decyfer Down and Thousand Foot Krutch. Decyfer Down is a new band so they are not up to Skillet's strength but they are still an awesome band, while TFK is a little bit more varied in their music style. Overall Skillet wins versus these two bands, for now anyways. Overall Skillet is a very good band and appeals to a lot of people. // 9

Comatose Reviewed by: Lemurs4mangos, on august 18, 2009

Sound: I though the sound and balance of this album was AMAZING, you can hear all parts the way you're meant to. Most of the songs seem to be focused on falling away from yourself, yoru family, your friends, your life, the world, and falling into a Coma, thus the name Comatose. Coming up here in a couple weeks, they're releasing a new album "Awake" essentially a sequal to Comatose, sen as waking up, from the Singles "Monster" and "Hero" the Idea seems to be finding and admitting problems, and coming out of the coma of denial, and fear. The use of delay, reverb, wah, and ofther effects creates an even better tone, and feeling to the album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics all have meaning, and as many of you know, this is a Christian band, but the music doesn't have to be seen from a Christian stand-point. The lyrics seem to be designed to make it attractive to all people, not JUST christians. The tone of the music and the lyrics fit well together, but thats hard NOT to do when your singer is your bassist. Essentially it's a huge tie between the heart of the rythm and the foreground of the music. John seems to have a good range, although he does seem a bit wobbly on the high notes, but hey, there aren't many guys that have a perfect range. // 9

Overall Impression: I found that the songs on the album that I listen to the most are The Last Night, basically a story about a girl that has had a secret life of cutting, for years, and is going to kill herself (Voice of Korey Cooper) and Her voice fo reason (John Cooper), Telling her she doesn't have to be alone; Falling into Black, I believe the meaning is something along trying to be saved before you've fallen so far down you can get back up; and Looking For Angels, now this one is one that may not be seen from different points during the chorus, but the verses are hard hitting, and full of meaning (i.e. "After all the wars, after settling the scores, at the break of dawn will we be deaf to the answers?" "On the rise, teen suicide, when we will realize we've been desensitized by the lies of the world") I love the vocl styles, the only thing I don't really like about the album is the ammount of songs, I WANT TO HEAR MORE! If it were stolen or lost I'd have to buy another one, even if it is on my iTunes now, I love being albe to listen to it in the car and such. // 10

Comatose Reviewed by: Caleb Weyant, on june 16, 2008

Sound: My first impression of the music was it is really complicated. What I mean is it has such a complex guitar a bass sceam that it sounds so good and not like it is so complex you can't understand it. The guitarist one of the best in christian music today. He can pull of so many tricks that sounds so well in the music. He is just the lead guitar the rythm guitarist also plays the keyboard. Usually she plays the guitar in the chorus and bridge but she also plays the keyboard in the verses. The bassist is very talented too the five string bass and it sounds great. The meaning of the title track on the record Comatose, means unconcious. I think the meaning is we are living like everyone wants us to live, we should live the way that god wants us to live. // 9

Lyrics: The singing on this record was amazing. the blend of the male singer and the woman singer is perfect in the record. The lead singer's skills definatly increased this record. He has stepped up his screaming aand soft singing a lot. I think the lyrics fit in well with the music.But in a few of the songs his singing capability doesn't show. // 9

Overall Impression: For me this album doesn't compare to any of my Kutless albums but overall it is a really good album. the miost impressive songs on the album were: Rebirthing, The Last Night, Yours To Hold, Comatose, The Older I Get, Say Goodbye, Looking For Angels, Whispers In The Dark, and on the special edition live free or let me die. If this albu, m was stolen I would just burn it of my computer again and not waist the money but if I didn't have it on my computer I would by it again. // 10

More Skillet reviews rating latest review
+ Rise 7.2 07/09/2013