Roots Rock Riot Review

8.7
 7.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Roots Rock Riot Reviewed by: vppark2, on august 22, 2012

Sound: Newport metallers rock out on this release. If you think nu-metal and reggae is your thing, then these guys are a must! Lead vocalist Benji Webbe rocks the mic with his roaring and singing. Instrumentation is pretty damn good as well. I love their drummer; he has quite some skill. // 9

Lyrics: Judging that this is nu-metal meets nu-metal meets reggae, your thoughts on this are most like ummm what? Most of the lyrics from this album show a typical reggae force, but at the same time, there's moments of heaviness, so it can go either way. In "Alright", lyrics are definitely comprised of a reggae-type deal. "I know it's gonna be all right. Turn it all around and make it right. Yer I know it's gonna be all right. Get up off the ground you'll be all right." Need I explain why this sounds reggae-ish? The title track, "Roots Rock Riot" is by far the heaviest track off this album. Right off the bat you can tell. The heaviness in the guitars, and the in your face screaming really show here. But Skindred doesn't stray in their comfort zone when it comes to their reggae-like lyrics. Zzzzzzthe singer can scream like a madman, and he's pretty good at singing. // 8

Overall Impression: Other artists? Maybe 311 for that reggae meets heaviness type vibe, or even an Ill Nino or P.O.D. type feel, showing nu-metal, but in a meaningful way. I like this band, and I would like it see more music from these guys. // 9

More Skindred reviews rating latest review
+ Kill The Power 6.5 01/28/2014