Decade Of Aggression: Live Review

slayer: Decade Of Aggression: Live
Release Date: Oct 22, 1991
Label: American
Genres: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
While the double-disc Decade of Aggression couldn't be expected to capture all of the unparalleled aggression of Slayer's live shows, this set comes pretty damn close.
 8.3
 7.8
 8.8
Decade Of Aggression: Live Reviewed by: Gopher636, on november 07, 2005

Sound: Ah, good old Slayer. Some kick ass, old school thrash. This is a double disc live album, and it rules. I bought this album thinking it was a greatest hits and not live, but I was mistaken. But it was a good mistake. This might as well be a greatest hits, as it rules. It's gonna kick your face in and piss on it. Why? Because it's Slayer. // 10

Lyrics: Slayer's lyrics usually deal with going to hell, killing, the holocaust, sending things to hell, worshipping satan, etc. But it's all good. It's not mindless 'Ooohragh kill Christians oooooh die f--kers die ooohhh' stuff, it's intellegent. I'm a Christian and I still listen to songs like Jesus Saves and The Antichrist. Just stomach it, and you discover some fucking good music. Some songs deal with war (War Ensemble, Chemical Warfare, Expandable Youth, Mandatory Suicide), demons and such (Spirit In Black, Captor Of Sin, Born Of Fire) and of course, hell (Hell Awaits, Blood Red, Seasons In The Abyss, Altar Of Sacrifce) and some about random, evil stuff (Dead Skin Mask, Hallowd Point, Die By The Sword, Black Magic). All in all, good stuff. Nine, just 'cause I'm a Christian and not too fond of the satan lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: The fast rhythm, evil vocals, and intense drumming add up into one intense package that is Slayer. If I lost thes CD, I'd easily buy it again. Everything about it is good, I don't think theres one bad thing about it. // 10

Decade Of Aggression: Live Reviewed by: Hematovore, on september 23, 2006

Sound: The Decade Of Agression was more than just any live concert, and based on the music technology they had in the '80s, this album is more than a performance, it's a masterpiece. The sound and the perfection of the instruments were incredible. Not many Band are that great live, and it all explains the concept of thrash. It not about adding all kind of effects and overdubs to create a kick ass album, it's about you and your instrument. Performing live defenitel shows which bands have talent an which don't, despite the fact of stage fright. // 9

Lyrics: Well Salyer's lyrics are very meaninful and understanable, and even though they have satanic accent, thiers meaning to it. Slayer empasizes the detriment of war and the chaos it has on the world, and that cristianity is a religion of hypocrtyical outlooks and views. And back then the exposure of Satanism didn't have as much publicty as it has now, so egaging in the meaning of the songs they expressed in the lyrics was a major standup and a risk they took for a succesful Career. And that's what's metals about: Having the Balls to stand up for what you believe in, and not giving a f--k if critics or society thinks bad about you. And I must include, most metal bands today call thier selve satanic and portray satinic imagery in thier lyrics just to sell an album and fit in with the crowd, and that's not what metal is about. // 10

Overall Impression: Does it compare to other albums? F--k no. Slayer is to original to compare with any band. Bands like Killswitch Engage, just blow ass live, so on the other hand it is comparable in that perspective. Every song on the album was impressive to me, and with the smalls breaks in between every song, the atmosphere of a Live Slayer concert is evident. I did happen to lose the Decade Of Agression, and I went right back to the record store and bought another 26$ copy. // 10

Decade Of Aggression: Live Reviewed by: ShadowsThatMove, on october 09, 2007

Sound: Decade Of Aggression sums up some of the best songs off of Slayer's older albums, definetely something to give a listen to. However the sound quality on this album is incredibly poor. Every time Kerry King or Jeff Hanneman does a mind blowing solo, it wails and tears at you just for listening at it, it drowns out everything else that's going on in the song. It does seem like that gig was mind-blowing, however if Slayer were going to record a live album they should've got better recording equipment, as even though there are amazing songs on this live album, you can't help but eventually switch it off and just listen to the original song itself. The sound itself was very chunky and off-putting, you can hear easily when King or Hanneman messes up and when they hit the wrong notes, it's no fun whatsoever listening to it. // 3

Lyrics: Slayer have been and still will be one of my favourite bands of all time, but this just wasn't an album they should've made. You can barely hear Araya over the terrible sound quality, and when you can he just seems like he's putting no effort into singing at all. What I've never liked about the lyrics is how Slayer do it all for publicity (which Araya admits in the DVD "Metal: A Headbangers Journey") So I don't like any of the Slayer lyrics as it's all fake. However that doesn't mean that Araya isn't a good performer or that he's not good at making lyrics. I didn't really enjoy listening to Araya off of this album. // 5

Overall Impression: The worst possible album to buy from Slayer if you're new to Slayer, it would just put you off them. The best part about the whole album is the introduction before Hell Awaits and the opening 2 minutes to the actual song. After that prepare for nothing good. They ratings aren't what I think of the songs normally, but it's how I felt about the songs being recorded by poor recording equipment. This album hasn't done it for me at all. If you want a really good listen at Slayer at their best, give a listen to the albums Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven, Seasons In The Abyss, God Hates Us All. // 4

More Slayer reviews rating latest review
+ Undisputed Attitude 7 01/18/2012