Diabolus In Musica Review

slayer: Diabolus In Musica
Release Date: Jun 9, 1998
Label: American
Genres: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Diabolus In Musica sounds like no other piece of work from Slayer, which makes for a bit of a queasy and uncomfortable experience at first.
 6.1
 8.2
review (1) 42 comments vote for this album:
Diabolus In Musica Reviewed by: oh... THAT guy, on november 29, 2006

Sound: As I write this review, I am listening to the album on my computer. I bought it, heard it and immediately refunded it and got another cd. As I listen to it, I don't regret doing it. The solos are good, the riffs are good, some good lyrics, but nothing works. 01:33 minutes into it, when the riffs change it just sounds strange. The vocals on many tracks like those in the chorus on 'Skeletons of Society' on the Seasons In The Abyss album are overdone, and just horribly clash. NOT Slayer's best effort. // 3

Lyrics: Well, the lyrics are good on paper. Before the vocals kicked in on Bitter Peace I had a flick through the pages to check it out, and they weren't bad. Don't get me wrong, I love Slayer, but Tom slaughtered those vocals. once again they definatley went the wrong way with the dual vocals thing. lots of tracks on this album are skippable, mainly due to Araya's vocals and the clashing riffs, but that's neither here nor there. Tom's a good singer, and he didn't live up to his potential in sme of thses songs, but some of them were alright. // 5

Overall Impression: I suppose it's not that bad, just bad vocals, clashing riffs, and too many slow tracks for a thrash band. If you are looking for a good slayer album to start with or something do not buy this, because it might put you off. Every other slayer album is pretty good (except for south of heaven really and there's something about undisputed attitude I don't really like) so buy reign in blood or divine intervention or just do it the good old fashoined way, starting with show no mercy and ending with christ illusion (or whatever new ones they put out). // 4

More Slayer reviews rating latest review
+ Undisputed Attitude 7.2 01/18/2012