Divine Intervention Review

8.4
 8.5
 8.2
Divine Intervention Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 11, 2006

Sound: Slayer's sound has experienced a very slow, gradual, and sometimes undetectable evolution over the years. This album, released in 1994, clashed with a music scene that had drastically changed since "Seasons In The Abyss." Grunge was at it's volatile peak, and death metal was experiencing a resurgence. Slayer had been in the studio and/or on hiatus for several years, and the album shows that they were not slacking off. Paul Bostaph really shines with the double-bass drum, and has a greater presence than Dave Lombardo on any of the previous albums. The production values are noticeably better, and the album comes out swinging with "Killing Fields", grabs the listener by the throat, and doesn't let up. Slayer obviously lets a little bit of the growing popularity of death metal influence their album, but adapted the dark, death-centric lyrics to their breakneck speed and menacing style. In terms of innovations, I'd say this is the first Slayer album to allow the drummer greater leeway in shpaing the sound of the album. this is not a Reign In Blood reprise, whatever critics may say. It returns to the nonstop pace of Slayer's breakthru album, but certainly doesn't just offer up lame returns to "Angel of Death", "Jesus Saves", or "Raining Blood." This is all-new, novel material. // 10

Lyrics: King/Araya's lyrics are very strong and dark, and Araya spits them out at breakneck speed. Araya really showcases his trademark commanding yell on the track "Divine Intervention", the song of a man begging for mercy in his darkest hour, seeking help from above or below. Particularly on this track, but really on all of the tracks, the dark, twisted, maniacal lyrics perfectly coincide with the screaming guitars of Hanneman/King. Only weak point may be some perceived redundancy, but Araya shows lyrical and vocal growth. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is arguably Slayer's crowning achievement, set apart from the landmark thrash album "Reign In Blood". Most impressive and infectious songs are "Fictional Reality", "Dittohead", "Divine Intervention", and "Serenity in Murder." Only one song is skippable, and that is the one "slow" song "213". Any Speed metalhead can greatly appreciate the menacing growling, often screaming guitars of Hanneman/King. King's songwriting style obviously prevails here, as he is known for preferring extreme speed. It is truly awe-inspiring how Bostaph synchs up with the rhythm guitar while the lead (either Hanneman or King) whips out a lightning, fast solo. This is the pinnacle of SLayer and the Speed Metal genre. For any thrash fan, it will take 2 listens-through to become truly enamoured of this album. If this were stolen well, I do have it on my mp3 anyway. If I didn't have a backup copy, I'd definitely buy this again. I can't live without it. // 10

Divine Intervention Reviewed by: JPaul17, on may 13, 2004

Sound: Pretty heavy stuff, vocals arent that great but I don't mind I'm in it more for the guitar. Just shows that Slayer are very talented musicians, even if not everyone likes their music. It's all electric, which is nice, but its just not as... well good as the other albums. Solos are great too, and theres a big of effects used. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics are sometimes repetitive, but otherwise good. I'm not a fan of Slayer vocals, but like I said, it's not that big of a deal. // 8

Overall Impression: Would buy it again if stolen for sure. Favorite songs are Divine Intervention, Killing Fields, Circle of Beliefs and Sex, Murder, Art, the latter one being the best on the cd. Other Slayer cds are better, but this is still good stuff. // 8

More Slayer reviews rating latest review
+ Undisputed Attitude 7 01/18/2012