Live Undead Review

slayer: Live Undead
Release Date: 1985
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Recorded and released as a follow-up to the Haunting The Chapel EP, Live Undead shows the band still coming together in ways.
 8.2
 8.7
 7.6
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Live Undead Reviewed by: steveCFH, on march 10, 2006

Sound: This is Slayer's 1985 live album, Live Undead. It features tracks from their debut Show No Mercy and a couple of tracks of the EP Haunting The Chapel. Slayer's sound has changed over the years, but personaly I enjoy their early sound more than their new one. This album is full of obvious influences such as Venom, Iron Maiden or Judas Priest. However, this album is live so the sound quality isn't as well as I would have hoped, but it's clearer than Venom albums or Misfits album. The bass and drums keep the songs in good rhythme. Over all this is a all around good thrash/speed metal album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this ablum aren't that bad. Pretty much all the songs on here are about Satan or black magic etc. but it's Slayer, and you know what? It's good. If that's the style of music you're into then chances are you won't care about these lyrics. Tom Araya's voice really isn't that bad. His voice sounds waaay better on this album than it did on Show No Mercy that's for sure. He goes from a high pitched scream (the Antichrist) to a dark growl (Captor Of Sin Or Die By The Sword). His voice on this album shows what is next to come on such albums as Hell Awaits or Reign In Blood. Tom's voice fits in with the guitar, bass and drums perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that this album is a pretty good live album. It's not as good as Decade Of Agression but thats mostly because of a lack of material. There are only 7 songs on this album by the way and it clocks in under 25 mins. I can gaurentee you that if you're into Slayer that you will like it. I think the best song of this album is Die By The Sword. It's so much better than the original. The only song I don't really like is Agressive Perfector. It just doesn't conclude the album well enough. Show No Mercy would have been better as the last song. If someone stole this album I wouldn't bother buying it again because all the songs are on my mp3 player and computer. I think that this album could have been better considering song listing. It would have been better with Chemical Warfare or Crionics on it. Still though this is a good buy for any Slayer or metal fan out there. // 8

More Slayer reviews rating latest review
+ Undisputed Attitude 7.2 01/18/2012