Reign In Blood Review

artist: slayer date: 03/04/2011 category: compact discs
slayer: Reign In Blood
Released: 1986
Genre: Rock
Tones: Bleak, Visceral, Aggressive, Manic, Reckless, Provocative, Malevolent, Nihilistic, Menacing, Intense, Harsh
Styles: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
 Lyrics: 8.6
 9.2
 8.9
 9.4
Reign In Blood Reviewed by: acknowledge_me_cas :(, on october 05, 2005

Sound: Reign In Blood is one of the best thrash CD's up there. I won't claim this to be Slayer's best; I like most of their CDs a great deal (yes, I even enjoyed Diablus In Musica). Anyway, the CD itself is revolutionary however, think about it. I wasn't around in 1986, but it seems to me that with the lyrics that are in "Angel Of Death," "Raining Blood," "Post Mortem" and practically the whole CD, they are some of the, if not the most brutal lyrics for 1986. And not only that, but the extreme riffage of Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman absolutley are unmatched at the time. Slayer also manages some of the weirdest BPM changes, especially in raining blood. It goes from 178, to 214, then back down to 188, then they launch into 247 at the end. Peice By Peice, track #2, also has one of the coolest riffs I've heard. // 10

Lyrics: Well, it's Slayer. Brutality Plenty. Agnel Of Death starts, which describes the experiments by Josef Mengele on Aushwitz Prisoners, followed by Peice By Peice, which I interpet as manical killing. Necrophobic is one of the most brutal songs made, ever. Followed is Altars Of Sacrifice, the average Slayer song lyrically wise. Jesus Saves is another highligt of the album, basically bashing the church, and the Christianity religion in itself. Crimanlly Insane comes after, which lyricslly (and musically), I do not enjoy this track. It's just off. To me, anyway. Reborn isn't my favorite either, but it's still pretty damn cool. Again, very Slayer-esque with witches and revenge. Epidemic and Postmortem are two songs I normally don't listen to, actually. By this point, you want to hear Raining Blood, the song that defines thrash metal. Honestly, I find the lyrics stupid, but the song just kicks utter ass. As I mentioned earlier, the riffs and speed just make you want to kill something. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is up there with Slayers' best. This is claimed to be the CD that defines thrash metal and revolutionized the thrash metal scene. Overall, in my opionion, "Angel Of Death," "Necrophobic," "Peice By Peice," "Jesus Saves" and of course, "Raining Blood" are the 'shining' tracks on this album, however it's extremely awesome in its entirety. If this CD was stolen, I would probaly hunt down whoever stole it, reinact Necrophobic, and get my CD back. // 10

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 06, 2006

Sound: I was already into metal when I bought this album, and I bought it because it has a reputation as the 'best thrash metal album' ever done. Man I was disappointed. What's all the fuss about, this album is awful. It's extremely samey from start to finish, the riffs, chord progressions, solos, verses, choruses. There is nothing distinctive about the album. And if it's not repetitive, it's still all horrible sounding rubbish. The riffs are all way too minor sounding even for thrash metal, and you can hardly call anything catchy. The guitar solos wind me up. I hate their guitarists Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman. They play insane guitar solos, but it seems all they care about is playing it as fast as they can and squeezing in as many notes as physically possible. This is a great idea for half of a solo, not all the solos in every song. Seriously, they are all the same and these guitarists are the most distasteful musicians I have heard. The best thing about the music is the lyrics which is what I least care about when it comes to music. // 2

Lyrics: I will not comment on the Lyrics because all bands write lyrics personal to them (although I do think they suck). But Tom's voice, argh, it gets so boring and annoying. And repetitive, like everything on the album. Lyrics, why wont it let me submit this unless I say lyrics! // 2

Overall Impression: I don't know what my favourite thrash metal album is but it is not this. Master of Puppets deserves the thrown for the best thrash album, over this. There are no standout songs on the album, they are all the same, and not any good at that. I hate everything about the album. I hate the music the vocals the lyrics, the best thing is the CD cover. What's more, this album is undoubtedly responsible for most other death/black/whatever you call it metal that I occassionally hear these days. Thank fcuk there is more decent metal music around as opposed to this. If I lost this album, then that was no acident. It is more likely that I gave this album to the one who tries to steal it and I'd be standing there thinking 'sucker!' Bad bad album, I'll give it a 2 to be generous. // 2

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: boyan89, on december 15, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album just blew me away, it was just absolutely amazing with the fast tremelo picking, solos, double bass drums it was astounding. Jeff and Kerry do such an overwhelming job on the guitar, they can make solos in short songs, they can pull off really long ones in pretty good lenght songs and they are just amazing at what they do. Dave is an amazing drummer and he uses the double bass drum really well on this album and his drumming in songs just blew me away. Tom is a pretty skilled bassist and he sings and does that too so that's pretty cool and he has really good riffs on the bass. So yah the sound overall was just amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, wow, the lyrics blew me away, I mean they put so much thought and energy into their lyrics it is just plain incredible. Tom is a skilled a vocalist he is really, really fast at singing too it is absolutely unbelivable. I think the lyrics in this album are about pain and death and stuff like that. So the lyrics were just astounding. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to other albums because Slayer did their own metal sort of thing, if there's a band that sounds exactly like them, then show me. I don't have any faveourite songs on this album all of them kicked complete major ass, the solos kicked major, the drumming and just about everything on this kicked ass. I love everything about this album and I hate absolutely nothing about it, I mean Slayer are such an intelligent band that what is there to hate about it! If it were stolen/lost hell yah I would buy it again. Slayer are one of my favourite bands at the moment and I hope they have more good album in the future (I know about Christ Illusion). // 10

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: hxcmetalhead, on may 21, 2007

Sound: this album goes beyond brutal, and way beyond awesome. This album created what we know as thrash today. And therefore what we know as metal. All "metal" bands ow their existance to the sound of this album. This album sounds like it came from the boules of hell. No joke it's not for the faint of heart. Pregnant women and young children, and old people should stay away from this album if at all possible. THe first time I heard the intro to rainning blood I almost cryed. I was 7 but the next time I heard that I couldnt help but headbang to the kick ass riff. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album sum it up in a few words. They have contributerd to the lyrics of modern death metal. They reflet the whole band. Death, Satan, Blood, Rain, everything you would expect from a band with a name like Slayer. Tom Araya is a genius. His vocals blend so well with the brutaslity of the music and lyrics that it's almost like they were written by satan himself. I can't say enough about the vocals lyrics and overall sound ot this classic metal album. You heard me classic metal. // 10

Overall Impression: This album can't be compared to anything else from this genre. This is the diffinitive thrash album. Without it there wouldn't be any thrash, at all. The obviously most impressive song on this album is Rainning Blood. When you say Slayer you think Rainning Blood. The simplicity of the songs is their genius. The speed and power of the songs in this album make it one of my all time favorites. If it was stolen or lost. If it was stolen and I saw who took it I'd chase their ass down and take it back. If it was lost I'd be at the nearest music store as quickly as I could to buy a new one. I have my own underground metal band and my first song (other than stairway to heaven) was Rainning Blood. If it weren't for that album where would metal be? I'd rather not know // 10

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: jamesyboyy, on january 14, 2004

Sound: Alot of people would call Metallica the greatest metal band ever. I wouldn't. Slayer always puts out great heavy music and this is probably their best album. 10 songs of violent graphic and extremely heavy music. It's big, loud and angry, offensive and it doesn't let up for a minute. Screeching guitar solos, expert shredding, perhaps one of the best drummers ever and a fantastic frontman. Every part of Slayer's sound is tight. This album sounds like it could have been recorded in 10 years after it was, fantastic sound. // 10

Lyrics: I'm not gonna deny that Slayer have crap lyrics, I don't know why they give the main duties to Kerry king but hey It's not my fault. But Tom Araya has a great voice, he could sing happy birthday and make it sound like a death sentence so hearing lyrics about nazis, satanism and murder has a very powerful effect. They get a 4 just cos of the feeling you get when you listen to those words being yelled at you like that. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a classic metal album, it's completely over the top brain-mleting music that makes you want to kill things. Go pick it up it's very much worth it. Sure it's only half an hour long but that's half an hour of great music. But hey if you'd rather pick up Meteora by Linkin Park and listen to a pair of Kids crying while some guy is still trying to learn the guitar in the back-ground that's fine by me. // 10

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: IX_Equilibrium, on january 14, 2004

Sound: Magnificient, brutal, eerie, fast as hell! This is Slayer at their very best. I think they broke the sound barrier a few times during the recording! // 10

Lyrics: Evil, foreboding, gruesome, satanic! The subject matter of the lyrics is great, from the sadism of Auschwitx doctor, Josef Mengele (Angel of Death) to dismemberment (Piece By Piece), and they're pulled off excellently by Tom Araya and his signature broad-chested vocals that leave you struggling to keep up with such songs as "Reborn". // 10

Overall Impression: Reign In Blood is the greatest album ever. Every song on it is absolutely amazing. It clocks in at just under a half hour but the spped at which it's delivered leaves you exhausted. It's worth buying on CD, cassette and vinyl so you'll be able to listen to it anywhere and in doubles so it won't matter if it's stolen or if you've loaned it to a friend. You must buy this album if you even remotely like thrash or if you've never heard thrash or Slayer before it is mandatory (suicide lol) to buy this. // 10

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: Hostile87, on april 20, 2004

Sound: Many people consider Reign in Blood to be Slayers best work as well as a Metal Classic and I have to agree 100%. Reign is Blood was considered ahead of its time because of the insane speed of the songs on this album and since Reign in Blood came out nobady has really matched this sort of speed. Whenever I listen to this CD I can feel the adrenaline race through my veins and I shed my civilized characteristics as it they are replaced with a visceral, predator's instinct. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Reign in Blood perfectly complement the music. The lyrics deal with evil Nazi doctors, cannibalism, Death, Hell, Madmen..the usual stuff you can expect from Slayer. The lyrics to Jesus Saves (track 5) also have a lot of attitude in them. Tom Arayas vocals are a perfect match for the lyrics and music and doesn't sound to crazy to the point that you can't understand what he's saying and it doesn't sound too "light". // 10

Overall Impression: Slayer's Reign in Blood is one of the most vicious, awesome cds I have ever heard and very few can catch up to their level. Since Reign in Blood, Slayer has made many others great cds, however I feel that none of them can surpass Reign in Blood. The only legitimate gripe that I have is that it was not long enough but it doesn't bother me too much because many bands write albums that last an hour or more and they don't sound good. // 10

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2005

Sound: On this record Slayer got faster and more aggressive. They took thrash/speed metal to a new level of speed and it is one of the greatest thrash/speed Metal albums ever. It may not be heavier than Metallica but it is pretty damn heavy. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics and the way lead singer Tom Araya screams them out is just awsome. The lyrics for Angel Of Death and Rainning Blood couldn't be more suitible for the music it is a very good combanation of vicous lyrics and vicous music. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is one of the greatest albums of all time and the 7th heaviest album ever made. The highlights are Angel Of Death, Rainning Blood, Piece By Piece, Alter Of Sacrifice and Jeasus Saves. I love how they can put toghter a heavy metal expereince all in 29 minutes. You better buy this album or else. This album is a 10/10 album. Buy it now! // 10

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: 666slayer666, on june 01, 2005

Sound: The band's music is the best man they are the best thrash metal band. They also have punk like drums by dave lombardo and dave is the best drumer. But I think that the punk-like mixed with thrash rithims drums and guitars on "Postmortem" are from Jeff Hanenman. All I have to say about this album is that its the best thrash metal album made by the best thrash metal band. // 10

Lyrics: Tom Araya is the best vocalist ever man the way on "Angel Of Death" how he does that high tone scream that kix ass man not even my mom can do that and I don't mean that in any bad way. The lyrics that he writes are kick ass they are so f--king violent I love that. // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare to any one its the best. Slayer kinda is like usurper but Slayer is still the best. The most impresive songs on this album are "Raining Blood," "Jesus Saves," "Criminaly Insaine," "Postmortem" and "Epidemic." I love everything about this album I don't hate anything about it or maby at the end of "Raining Blood" the sound fx at the end when its raining it could be shorter. If this album were stolen I would burn it on a blank CD I always have good albums on my pc. // 10

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: jim1845, on february 22, 2008

Sound: Slayer have always gave people a punch in the face with the music. With Kerry King's and Jeff Hannemann's machine-gun guitars, Tom Araya's over the top vocals and Dave Lombardo's insane drumming skills is what makes Reign In Blood and every other Slayer album what it is. The sound of this album is epic. It has a sort of melodic approach to Kerry and Jeff's guitar playing. But on the other hand still is insanely fast, usually pointing to Dave's drumming. Every song included in the album has a different sound in its melody. // 8

Lyrics: In every Slayer album including Reign In Blood, the lyrics are everything. The lyrics of pretty much every on the album are pointed to the occult, sex, death Christianinty and satanism and torture. These are the key points of Slayer. Even if you look at the titles of the tracklist they al at least go with each of the points listed. Angel of Death is death and Christianity. Piece By Piece is torture. Tom Araya's voice has got better since their first release, Show No Mercy. Tom voice is different than any other lead singer in the Thrash metal movment. He has a deep voice. // 10

Overall Impression: This album and this band in some way is its own genre of music. It dosen't closely compare to any other type of thrash I have heard. The best and recommended tracks on the album are Angel Of Death, Necrophobic, Epidemc and of course Raining Blood. I love the guitar solos and leads, especially the leads to Raining Blood. I don't hate anything about the album.If this album went missing from my collection, I would buy it again because I have all the Slayer albums and I can't have them all except for one. // 8

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: Jaded7, on april 02, 2010

Sound: Some say that this is the album that set the foundation for thrash metal. And who can argue with them? The sound this album has took the genre to new heights. It may in fact be the heaviest album ever made. Let's start off with the song many consider one of metal's finest: "Angel Of Death". It's fast, it's heavy, and it just plain kicks your ass to the curb. In fact, this is more of a straight-up speed metal song that just happens to be thrashy than an an actual thrash metal song. The rest of the album gets more thrashy along the way, especially with "Altar Of Sacrifice", which sounds like an over-the-top war anthem. There really isn't much to complain about with the sound of this album. It's evil, over-the-top, ridiculous, but oh-so satisfying. // 9

Lyrics: If I could get away with writing only two words for this section, they would be the following: HOLY SHIT. I mean...my goodness. Tom Araya's lyrics are scary beyond all belief, ranging from topics such as the Holocaust to Hell itself. It's as if he took Ozzy Osbourne's early writings and took them to an extreme far beyond comprehension. Araya's singing skills also are beyond belief. His loud, nearly Satantic screams help match the overall tone the sound and the lyrics of Reign In Blood. His vocals are amazingly frightening. In fact, he is a person who, if he read something as innocent as The Three Little Pigs, would probably still be terrifying. // 9

Overall Impression: The only problem with this album is that it is too short, clocking in at only a half-an-hour. In that sense, it's more like a longer EP than an actual album. But despite that, it is truly one of the best metal albums that ever existed. Heavy, loud, and scary; all three things that only Slayer can pull off so well. // 9

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: Azdogga, on may 15, 2006

Sound: Slayer's "Reign In Blood" is something of a phenomenom. Slayer re-wrote the rules of the term 'speed metal' with this album. Everything about it is just quick riffs, nutter drumming, and insanely high-pitched solos. The songs are compact, mostly around 2 minutes long. "Raining Blood" is the track that stands out the most, with it's very well-known opening riff. They don't get much better or faster than this. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are not the strong point of Slayer. Singing is the only bad thing about the mighty band. The lyrics have a rappish feel about them, and there usually isn't a lot of words in the songs, Tom (the singer/bassist) preferring to let the guitars to do the real singing. // 7

Overall Impression: Despite the bad singing, this is an absolute ripper album. You simply can't go wrong. Every song is brilliant, but "Raining Blood" really tops everything. I love the multiple riffs, and the inhumane solos which often end in high decibel-squeals. There are real musicians in this band, with undeniable raw talent. You can't go wrong! // 9

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: jonmwb, on september 01, 2006

Sound: Slayer has never sounded so raw and powerful. Not even in their latest speed metal, headbanging hits, this album still rises up against them all. Critics and fans call this the God of thrash metal albums, and listening to it I can see why. The songs consist of heavy pulse-punding drumming, which is either playing a slow but damaging tune or going full blown speed metal with a sound that is so heavy it sounds like it could knock you out. But the drums aren't the only strong point to Reign in blood. The two guitarists play riifs and solos so fast it seems nearly immpossible to pull off, but infact it's done so well it creates an ear shattering experience. The lead vocalist also plays some mean bass riffs while screaming with pure rage down the microphone it sounds like the mic may explode at any time. All in all the bands music gives a genuine hardcore extreme listen which you will not find in any other Slayer album or any other metal album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics consist of the ideas of pure Satanism, sarcasm about the bible and certain beiefs and any other topic that can be picked out that is bound to either offend, terrify or give tormenting head rushes to all metal fans. The lyrics are very unnerving and quite clevorly thought of, however there are a lot of contradictions and often the most extreme songs get so over the top they become laughable, however this is no reason to say the lyrics are bad as they are still some of the best lyrics ever conjured up in thrash metal for a long time. A certain topic would be picked for a song and then be screamed out whilst barely fitting in with the music or drums, but this is the style and it's one of the features that makes this album so rememberable. // 8

Overall Impression: As been said before, there is no thrash metal band or album that can top this, even if they tried. Slayer didn't create trash metal, they just perfected it to the best they can possibly get. Any thrash bands around today worship Reign in blood and attempt to top it but it's never been done and I doubt they will ever. The song Angel of Death is the opener to Reign in Blood and sets the tone perfectly with a speedy riff, pwerful drums kick in and before you know it, one of the heaviest songs ever made is hitting you hard and the scream from the lead vocalist just adds up the intensity. However good the other songs are on the album nothing can top Rainning Blood. The difinative thrash song and the difinative Slayer song. It starts off with life like storm sounds with a squeek from the guitarists and some heavy short drum beats. Then the thrash kicks in with sheer force. This album is so good because it's so raw and down to the bone. It doesnt't shy away or think it's getting too hardcore, it just does the most extreme and best thing it can do. The backing band do a fantastic job along with the lead singer. If you were to lose Reign In Blood, then that would be terrible, just quickly go out and buy another copy and check out some of their other albums like 'Seasons In The Abbys' or 'Show No Mercy', they are no Reign In Blood but they are a great listen and follow the same musical style, however Seasons goes into more experimental music which is also great. // 9

Reign In Blood Reviewed by: Nirvanafan60, on march 04, 2011

Sound: This probably the most well known Slayer album with the ever so popular song Raining Blood. This one of my favourite Thrash Metal albums ever, Slayer is a unique blend of Black Metal and Thrash Metal, these guys do have satanic meanings but aren't hardcore satanic. The lead singer in my opinion hasn't got a great voice but for his genre it doesn't really matter. The guitar riffs are possibly some of the most insanely awesome riffs ever. The drumming has constantly got a double kick pedal banging away like most Thrash Metal bands. The bass is the typical fast paced rhythm keeping instrument for the band. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are all connected to Satan in one way or another but most of it is meaningful and pretty intelligent, Slayers front man is well known for his vocals whether you enjoy it or not is beside the point becuase it doesn't really matter. The lyrics comply with the lyrics fine because Thrash/Black Metal is all about the dark lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: This is by far one of the most impressive albums by Slayer, they really did well with this master piece songs like Angel of death and Raining blood showcase the guitaring skills this band has. The song Criminally insane is a good song that showcases the full bands potential. I love this album becuase it is classic Thrash/Black Metal and because all the songs are genius I don't think there is a single song I dislike on this album. The only thing that is annoying is that eventually the songs sound abit to similar but honestly I couldn't give less of a hoot. If it were stolen I would be so pissed off and be buying it at the next chance I got. // 9

More Slayer reviews rating latest review
+ Undisputed Attitude 7 01/18/2012