Show No Mercy Review

slayer: Show No Mercy
Release Date: 1983
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Thrash, Speed Metal
Show No Mercy proved to be only a small step toward Slayer's domination of the extreme metal scene, basically amounting to a cleaned-up version of black metal stalwarts Venom.
 8.4
 7.9
 8.9
Show No Mercy Reviewed by: njustice4all, on may 07, 2007

Sound: Slayer is one of the best 80s metal bands, with much reputation for ear splitting guitar riffs and solos. Most people would say that the other great 80s metal bands would have to be: Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax. This album was not just the beggining of Slayer but heavy metal itself. All of the the songs have a fast paced heavy guitar riffs, followed by amazing one of a kind solos going all over the fret board. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very dark and satanic. But in every song in this album you can find a bit of harmony in the words. The evil lyrics go hand on hand with the satanic guitar playing for one reason. Because it sounds so great. That has been the foundation of metal for the past 25 years. Most of the lyrics have something to do with: satan, hell, death, sacrifice, violence, torture, hate, pain, evil, etc. But every Slayer is is about that kind of stuff, and that will never change. Because that is what Slayer is all about. That has been proven because millions of people love Slayer. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album is much like Slayer's albums to follow. Bit it still after 25 years has much uniqueness and originality. The best song on this CD would have to be Metal Storm and Black Magic. I love the intence guitar solos, so much. Kerry king is very awesome, at what he does. But the only thing to hate about this album is that the songs are too short. About the average running time of a song from this album is only 3 minutes. All togther this album only lasts half an hour. But anybody who is into classic metal really should get thier hands on this cd.I have this album everywhere I go on every format. On a cd, in my computer, on my ipod, on a cassete. I bought this album when it first came out in 1983. And I still like every song on it. I never get tired with this CD. Rock on! // 10

Show No Mercy Reviewed by: 9DDevil9, on january 18, 2006

Sound: This is Slayer's first album. I got to say the gituar work is magnificent but the vocals are shaky, and don't flow well whith the other instuments. Deacent bass, wonderfull drumming by Dave Lombardo. Songs like "Black Magick" really bring out the bass. While "Evil Has No Bounderies" proforms wonderfull gituars. // 8

Lyrics: As I said up above the vocals are bad. Acutualy I'm giving them to much credit the vocals are crap. The lyrics would be good if the vocalist had preformed beter. But unfortuanly Tom Araya pretty much kills the lyrics because of his terrible vocal skills. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall I think this is a great album. Deafinitly disreves a spot on a Slayer fans collection. To new fans of Slayer: try buying Riegn In Blood or Seasons In The Abyes before considering buying this. A verry good carer starter for Slayer. // 7

Show No Mercy Reviewed by: teenrocker, on april 30, 2007

Sound: Soon the chants would come, as a new band released their debut. Basically unknown to this point, Slayer had chiselled away a unique sound and were ready to record. What came out was 'Show No Mercy', Slayer's first ever recording achievement. Slayer's first goals was simply to play faster and heavier. 'Show No Mercy' is that sound. Not something that I would quite call Death Metal, not essentially Thrash Metal, just a mixture of the two. While a far shy away from 'Reign in Blood', this album is definately the same sort of sound, just not quite there. Sometimes there is a bit too much echo on the guitars and drums than what I would like, not as sharp. Tom's vocals are ok, but they are very sharp, and it clashes with the echo of the other instruments; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And although each song is individual, by the end of the CD, you can't actually pick out any song that really stuck out at you, none of the songs are bad, but none of them are particularly outstanding, either. // 8

Lyrics: Tom Araya doesn't do too bad on 'Show No Mercy', but there is definately room for improvement. On some songs, such as 'Black Magic', they really let him down. I assume that is to make the band sound heavier, but it's a bit of a hit and miss issue. Some, such as 'Crionics' and 'Die By The Sword', I really enjoy his vocal work, but on others such as the afformentioned 'Black Magic' and 'Tormentor' and most dissapointingly, the title track. It just isn't as good as they could be. Average, but hey, it just leaves more room for improvement. // 7

Overall Impression: 'Show No Mercy' was a very good start for Slayer. It didn't take long after this album when they started to get noticed and their fan base grew after it's release. As usual for most artists, it is the groundwork for what Slayer were to become, and why they will become the greatest underground act in the world. I love the guitar work. Kerry and Jeff are just amazing. Generally a good album, but the vocals and some aspects of drumming just let 'Show No Mercy' down. Still, a very good album that I do not regret buying. // 8

More Slayer reviews rating latest review
+ Undisputed Attitude 7 01/18/2012