South Of Heaven Review

slayer: South Of Heaven
Release Date: 1988
Label: American
Genres: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
The group's sincerity is the thing that makes South of Heaven so disturbing and powerful.
 8.8
 8.3
 9.2
South Of Heaven Reviewed by: Mr.Moss, on december 17, 2005

Sound: The impression given off by the band during this record is that simply of being pissed off with the world, the people, and religeon. Like I will mention in a minute, these are the obvious themes behind the music, but if you listen carefully there is a story being told here, I wont tell you what that is because that would ruin the album! This album and Seasons In The Abyss are very similar, in the way the songs have been written and composed, the feel about them, in my opinion, this was the best era for Slayer. // 9

Lyrics: Tom Araya's singing styles have never bothered me, not growling all the time, he has a decent melodic voice as well. On this album I get the impression that the riffs weren't completely ment to go along with the lyrics and the story being told, more so just cook sound riffs and licks, some parts during the album, like during Behind The Crooked Cross, the guitar screaming half way through a verse, before the solo, is following the direction of the lyrics, but on the chorus and intro front, they dont bare much relevance on alot of the album. The lyrics on this album are powerful beyond first hear, as is with alot of meaningful music, you really need to listen to it, there is an obvious meaning of course, but this goes much deeper. // 8

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before, in my opinion this was the best era for Slayer, the tone they use, the feel this album produces. By far the best songs on this album are Behind The Crooked Cross, the music and lyrics, really match each other, great song, but all around this is a quality album, the only bad thing I can say is that some things during the songs seemed forced and unnatural, especially some of the solos, or even just some squeals, it doesnt quite suit and sounds forced, but theres not alot of that, so apart from that absoloutly awesome album, if it was stolen I would buy it again, only, along with a few other of Slayer's, need to get my collection up a bit. // 8

South Of Heaven Reviewed by: South-of-Heaven, on june 06, 2007

Sound: Yeah, Slayer were pretty much the big guys in Bay Area in the late Eighties and very early Nineties along with Metallica. They were the fastest band on the planet, and so heavy they could break into a bank. Or, were they? Where "Reign in Blood" was the speed metal album to have, filled with solos and riffs which were so fast it was barely possible to distinguish each note from another, "South of Heaven" is a black piece of art, experimenting with slower, more haunting ideas, namecheck "Mandatory Suicide", "Spill the Blood" and the title track. But what exactlye makes it so terrifyingly scary and eerie? Is it the way the reverb takes effect on the quieter parts? Is it the way that some of the songs deal with afterlife, the apocalypse, insanity and even foeticide? Or is it the pitiful, quiet, weak production? Yes that's right, the production here is pretty poor. Listening to a song from this album right after listening to a song from "Reign in Blood" is like listening to a whisper right after a scream. There is a lower production volume, the guitars seem wry and underdriven compared to the crunch of the guitars on "Reign", and Tom's vocals are more sung on here than his old mediocre growl from the previous album. This effect works in some places, like "Live Undead" and "Spill the Blood", but on songs like "Ghosts of War" it sounds a tad pathetic. But aside from the poor production, some of the arrangements here are pretty mind blowing, "Live Undead" ending up with Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King trading solos after every couple of lines Tom recites, and the fill after the first two solos on "Behind the Crooked Cross". There's even a bit of acoustic on the desolate closer "Spill the Blood" to give it that super eerie feel. Overall though, Slayer have proved they are more than a one-trick pony with "South of Heaven". // 7

Lyrics: As I mentioned earlier, Tom's vocals are more sung here than on his other works, and the lyrics are more evil, dark, and shall I say ruthless than they were on any of their other albums. "Silent Scream" seems to come to mind, with it's cruel tales of the deaths of unborn children. Political correction be buggered, Slayer are holding no punches on their dark fourth album, such as using wierd and wonderful words such as "cunting". "Live Undead" is a trip into the abyss as Tom sings lyrics about insanity. I find the lyrics here quite impressive, because as well as painting horrifying images in your head ("Shredded carcass no spare breath") it also expresses, shall we say, emotion ("A war raging deep inside my head/A split descision that will end with me dead"). "Undead" also shows a range of vocal abilities, such as his original high pitched scream, and a low pitched growl like the one used in the old classic "Hell Awaits". I also want to point out the lyrics to "Mandatory Suicide". I like these lyrics, and they sum up World War I very well, like "Screaming skulls sent out to die" and "Mandatory suicide, massaccre on the front line". The last 12 or so lines are spoke as a poem underneath Kerry's random whammy bar abuse, again giving that eerie feeling. Altogether, apart from the newly adopted singing sounding crap in places, I can honestly say the lyrics side of this album is flawless. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Slayer's "Far Beyond Driven", "And Justice for All", and their "The More Things Change". Their truly experimental side has come out in 1988's "South of Heaven". They knew they could never better "Reign in Blood" doing the same thing, so they did something else instead. This style of descisions would eventually go on to defeat them (check 1994's "Divine Intervention") but for now, it really worked. The obvious album to beat was "Reign in Blood", and I don't think it managed it's goal. "Reign" was just so addictive, but "Heaven" is just one of those albums that you need a mood for. The tracks that stand out to me the most would have to be "Live Undead" (Yes, named after their first live album), "Spill the Blood" and the title track. Don't believe the hype where "Mandatory Suicide" is concerned, the "super eerie" second half is hard to love, and even then it gets boring moderately quickly. The track that stood out the least was the forgettable "Cleanse the Soul". I just can't seem to love that song no matter how much I try. Some other things I would like to mention are the nicely pulled off Judas Priest cover "Dissident Aggressor", and the amazing introduction to "Ghosts of War". A lo-fi steamy inro consisting of supreme drumming courtesy of Dave Lombardo, and the main riff being played underneath a well done solo, which then bursts into action with a quick chord progression. One of the "Woah shit, I need to hear that again!" moments. Also I want to say that the bridge riff for "Ghosts of War" and the main riff for "Read Between the Lies" sound almost exactly the same. Was this done on purporse? I'll never know, and I don't really need to either. All I need to know is this album, and it's brilliance. Flawed? The good bits more than make up for it. // 8

More Slayer reviews rating latest review
+ Undisputed Attitude 7 01/18/2012