World Painted Blood Review

slayer: World Painted Blood
Released: Nov 3, 2009
Genre: Thrash Metal
Label: Columbia
The reigning overlords of metal Slayer, in case you live under a rock on the ocean floor- offer up a fast n furious slab of metal. Did you expect anything less? Of course you didnt.
 Lyrics: 8.6
 7.9
World Painted Blood Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 06, 2009

Sound: Slayer split the recording of World Painted Blood between October 2008 and January and March 2009, which meant that the band had a chance to record with all the songs already written and rehearsed. Does that matter in the overall scheme of things? No. Because World Painted Blood picks up where Christ Illusion left off, with Slayer continuing to play faster, harder and louder as they get older. There's not carpal tunnel, no lack of passion and no lack of heavy artillery riffing as the band celebrates another year together. The title track has a venomous, almost punk rock aggression to it, while Snuff is a blast that could blow your kneecaps and knuckles to kingdom come. Human Strain is dark and doomy and a wee bit slower and choppier than the rest of the album but it's still the Slayer we know and love. The album is relentless enough to rip the follicles out of your scalp and epidermis. Psychopathy Red eats its young and is destined to become a Slayer classic as the years pass and this album settles into the band's catalogue. // 8

Lyrics: Tom Araya once again touches on familiar Slayer topics: you know, things like war, destruction, religion, death, serial killers, the apocalypse. Nothing Araya says will go down easy and that's always been part of Slayer's almost anarchic appeal. They're the Howard Stern of metal: they say what everyone is already thinking, without sugar-coating it. Americon is another chunky track, written by Kerry King, who, despite the recent problems plaguing our country, is proud to live in this country. It's not Slayer's version of the National Anthem, that's for sure, but it's a left-of-center, more mid-tempo song that delivers a sufficient boot to the Adams' Apple of its listener. // 9

Overall Impression: Slayer does change tempos a bit on the album fast to really f--king fast, for the most part- but they never let up on the gas pedal. World Painted Blood will get the blood coursing through your veins, no matter how lethargic you may be at any time. Slayer's sole mission is to keep producing the heaviest metal they can and they do not disappoint in the slightest here. It's more grist for Slayer's metal mill. // 9

- Amy Sciarretto (c) 2009

World Painted Blood Reviewed by: OCDeity, on november 06, 2009

Sound: My only concern leading up to the release of World Painted Blood was the fact it was overseen by the same production team behind Metallica's recent Death Magnetic. I enjoyed Death Magnetic, however it was mixed poorly in my opinion. Fortunately, after listening to World Painted Blood for the first time, I was greeted by the same furious head-popping metal that Slayer has always delivered. Araya, King, Hanneman, and Lombardo pull out absolutely everything for this album. Of course you get traditional face-melting thrash songs (Unit 731, Snuff, Hate Worldwide, Public Display of Dismemberment, Psychopathy Red), but I was pleasantly surprised to find slower, moodier songs that remind me fondly of the South of Heaven and Seasons era (World Painted Blood, Beauty Through Order, Human Strain, Playing With Dolls). Also, though most find it unimportant, I'm very pleased that the majority of the album is tuned to Eb rather than drop B (or whatever it was they used on God Hates Us All and Christ Illusion). It's vintage Slayer, and I f--king love it. // 10

Lyrics: Tom Araya actually sings a lot on this album, again hearkening back to the South of Heaven and Seasons days. I loved it - Araya can send chills down your spine when he wants to. There is no shortage of balls to the wall yelling, though. In particular, Psychopathy Red is one of the most impressive Araya performances I've heard in years. Lyrically, I'll break it down song by song. No surprises here really, just typical Slayer fare. It's all very, very metal. 01. World Painted Blood: written as a quasi-sequel to Final Six, this song essentially describes the horrors of the Mayan apocalypse. Mix of slow parts and thrash. Lots of tasty gore. 02. Unit 731: this is essentially the Pacific version of Angel of Death. Unit 731 was a Japanese Imperial Army special ops unit that specialized in chemical/biological warfare and disturbing human experimentation. The scream of "What are your final thoughts" at the beginning of every chorus has already become iconic amongst my friends. Pure thrash song. Describes atrocious acts and warfare. 03. Snuff: pretty straightforward. The song describes the grotesque nature of snuff films. Pure thrash - even more gore. 04. Beauty Through Order: written about Elizabeth Bathory, a medieval countess whom is generally recognized as the first prolific female serial killer. Mix of slow parts and thrash. Expect buckets of blood and bit of religious mockery. 05. Hate Worldwide: strictly an anti-religion song. Unfortunately, it really fails to stand out lyrically against legendary songs like Disciple and Cult. Still fun to listen to, though. Pure thrash. 06. Public Display Of Dismemberment: semi-political. Mostly thrash. This songs feels like an excuse to show off every stupidly difficult thing Dave Lombardo can do on a drum set, rather than a lyrically invigorating piece. 07. Human Strain: describes an unnamed super-disease that wipes out mankind. Slower, moodier song. Very haunting. 08. Americon: Slayer's attempts at political music have never impacted me too greatly, but this one's alright. Still a little too ambiguous though. Hard to describe genre-wise...it's almost industrial metal, really. 09. Psychopathy Red:written about infamous Russian serial killer Andrei Chikatilo. Pure thrash, horrifying and gruesome - an instant classic. 10. Playing With Dolls: I can't really pinpoint exactly what this song's about, but it's absolutely demented. It's seemingly about a mortician who indulges in deviant behavior with his bodies. More of a slow, creepy song. Very disturbing. 11. Not Of This God: another anti-religious song, which as previously stated fails to stand out among Slayer's back library of God-hating music. Not that there's anything wrong with some good old-fashioned soul crushing, God-hating metal. // 9

Overall Impression: To put it simply, Slayer knows how to deliver. This, just like every other album with the original Slayer lineup, is an unabashed thrashterpiece. Beauty Through Order is my personal favorite song on the album - Human Strain and Psychopathy Red being close behind. But it's all f--king metal, and it's all f--king awesome. Final Verdict. I cannot stress enough how much of a Slayer album this is - as in, if you've never liked Slayer, World Painted Blood will do nothing to change your mind. But for hardcore Slayer fans such as myself, this is as brilliant as it gets. A must-buy. // 9

World Painted Blood Reviewed by: jonathan_5150, on november 10, 2009

Sound: My impression of Slayer is one of an honest musician. Quite frankly, I disagree with every aspect of Slayer's sound. The random screaming unmusical vocals speaking of destruction sound horrible to me. The lyrics can be good, but the way they are sung is just unappealing to me and my opinion. The bass is unnoticeable, the guitar work is what is mostly appealing. The drums have simple beats that in my opinion don't work with the song. The guitar work on this album may have some good riffs but quite frankly they're recycled from previous albums or have no musical significance at all. And the solos... Random shredding. Trash. Kerry King does not win me over in the soloing department at all, but to each his own! // 3

Lyrics: Like I said, the lyrics on this album are pretty good, Playing with Dolls features some creative writing on his part. They're dark but that's what Slayer's image is about. But the way Tom sings them? Not so great. The way he screams is horrible. I know this is how he has done with every Slayer album, but this one is no exception. // 7

Overall Impression: It definitely anything close to Endgame or Black Gives Way to Blue, but it's just another Slayer album. If you love Slayer, you'll like it, if you're like.. Eh... Not much of a fan, you'll hate it along with every other album they've done. If I were to lose this album, I would actually be kind of happy, maybe feel some pity for the person who will eventually find it, but overall I'd be very happy. Just my opinion, folks. // 2

World Painted Blood Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 11, 2010

Sound: One of Slayers best. This album is crafted with a great sound that is not as heavy as God Hates Us All but delivers some very distorted, dissonant riffs that require a 7 string guitar. THe album is looking at the main themes Slayer looks to. God, death and some crazy effing people who did effed up experiments, reminiscent of the Joesph Mengele inspired "Angel of Death". Styles used in this album are THrash metal, heavy metal and death metal delivering a sparkling tribulation to pain, death and destruction (the only things we could wish for). Slayer use the normal psycho inspired guitar solos as well as riffs containing the sort of disonance, diad, p.m.in you'd expect. Innovations would probably be with "not of this God" which is a lot of dissonant tremolo picked guitar parts that lead into a 7 string duet of ungodliness. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics as always are very inventive in destroying gods hold on humanity. "Playing with DOlls"is a standout with its lyrical uniqueness. Lyrics are extremely in tune with guitar. ranging from normal talking to classic screams from Tom Araya, blending beautifully together. Singing skills are still top notch with Tom staying above all the commotion of the dueling guitars and bass as well as though kick ass drums. My fav line has to be "all alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, theres just got to be something wrong with me" in playing with dolls. Brilliant absolutly brilliant // 9

Overall Impression: This album is my top 2 album for Slayer with God Hates Us All as number one. I love about this album the most is the title track "world Painted Blood" which has a ungodly brilliant start that really opens you up to what the albums gonna be like. My other fav is "Playing with Dolls" which has a very dissonant start that very minor in tonality I love Slayers overall dissonat tonality and effects that are added to the songs they play with the vocal ability of Tom. I just wish they would be more creative with their solos. // 8

World Painted Blood Reviewed by: TST2469, on may 10, 2011

Sound: The Latest album from Satanic Thrash legends Slayer is "World Painted Blood"! It is an insanely dark thrashy album And their deffinently the legends of thrash! Their sound is more agressive and it sounds like Christ illusion all over again. The sound is very chainsaw sounding fast thash. If you buy any slayer album for your first I think this album shows slayer at their best. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are dark and satanic as you would normally see from Slayer which gets abit old but classic Slayer. Tom's Vocal range has increased incredibly since Their 1st album where he was a singer now he is a yeller! He finishes the power of the music with his legendary yell! Although its hard to understand the lyrics when he yells as fast as the guitar is going but its still an amazing sound. // 9

Overall Impression: The most impressive song on the album is a toss up between the title track/intro "World Painted Blood" and the slower more heavy song "Playing With Dolls"! But every track on this album is amazing. I love the thrashy-ness of the album the speed the power the agression! What I hate about the album is the lyrical satanic theme's they just seem to be the same all the time and the guitar solos also annoy me they don't seem to be thought up real well or in the key of the song musically just sound like a bunch of random notes. This album compared to the other latest albums from the Big Four is just as amazing as "Death Magnetic" - Metallica and "Endgame" - Megadeth. This is a stand out album from a stand out band! If it was lost/stolen I would deffinently buy it again! can't wait for the next installment from Slayer! // 10

More Slayer reviews rating latest review
+ Undisputed Attitude 7 01/18/2012