9.0: Live Review

slipknot: 9.0: Live
Release Date: Nov 1, 2005
Label: Roadrunner
Genres: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Rap-Metal
Slipknot will cap off a year of touring by releasing their first-ever live CD, a double-disc set called 9.0: Live.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 8.4
 9.1
 7.7
9.0: Live Reviewed by: CerebrusX, on october 27, 2005

Sound: The first thing I am going to say right off the bat is; and sorry for anyone who was at this show or is some hardcore Slipknot fan thinking they could do no wrong; this is one of the worst live performances I've ever heard. When I got this album I was expecting a lot more than what was thrown at me. The drums and guitars are handled with precision as is expected of this band. They sound extremely well for live, which is good. This wasn't my problem. My problem was Corey Taylor's performance; put down the mic man, game over. I do realize that he screams and this is taxing on one's vocals but this is way too dead to be live. Through out the whole album his voice is muffled slightly through the mask, but that is expected. Not much of a problem, if that happened to be the only one. Through this entire barrage of splendid noise; Taylor's vocals just sound like they've been used way too much. He sounds worn out. 5 because the guitars and everything was good (performance is based on half/half instruments/vocals). // 5

Lyrics: I like the lyrics. Of course we've all heard them, so nothing new. The first tracks I went to on the album were the titles I consider my favorites. I was hoping of course that they would sound awesome. They sure did! Except for the vocals. I first listened to Wait And Bleed. I love the song but I physically cringed when I heard this live version. Just wow Corey, could you ruin it anymore for me? Then came Purity and Everything Ends. Equally unimpressed with the vocal quality. Before I Forget was all right, as was Duality and The Nameless was pretty good. Oh, yeah, there's also a drum solo on the album. I wasn't too impressed with it. It wasn't great. It was pretty much just a lot of rapid hits. Thumbs down on that. But kudos; because I could never drum that quickly in that amount of time and/or for that long. // 5

Overall Impression: As for my overall impression with this live album; I wouldn't recommened it to anyone. I would rather just listen to the albums themselves since they sound so much better. Again, this is the worst live album I've heard. The worn out vocals get annoying to listen to. If I was a hardcore Maggot, I'd just buy this album to support the band, and leave it wrapped and on my shelf. If you have yet to hear the album go ahead and go buy it or whatever. I will tell you now it's not even worth your money. If I had this album stolen, nevermind, I'd probably trade this one in, or just give it away. I'd leave it on a bus or just let it get stolen. I wouldn't buy it again. // 1

9.0: Live Reviewed by: darthballs, on october 31, 2005

Sound: First off I would like to say that this is a great album the guitars are awesome the drums rule and Corey is still good. As the first guy said Corey is begging to lose his voice, but if you listin to Three Nil, Duality, The Blister Exists, Vermilion, The Nameless, Before I Forget and Pulse Of The Magots Corey sounds awesome. I think it is just on the old songs that he isnt as good but on Skin Ticket, Purity, and Surfacing Corey sounds great. Mick and Jim are really awesome live. THey always sound great. Joey Clown and Shawn are really good too. Joeys drum solo is awesome. Clown and Shawn are good with their background singing. Sid and 133 are two of the best people in the whole band. It's just the same old Slipknot just live. // 10

Lyrics: Well this is just the same songs but live so I'm gonna give it a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: In some ways this is better then the other albums in some ways it's not. On Pulse Of The Maggots the solo is complety different, they have a 7 minute version of Iowa a drum solo. The best songs off the album are Three Nil, Vermillion, The Nameless, Purity, and Duality. The only dissapointments I have with the album are People=Shit and Spit It Out. I purchased Disasterpieces a while back and they sound almost completly diferent. If it were stolen I would definatley buy it again. // 10

9.0: Live Reviewed by: Gopher636, on november 07, 2005

Sound: Live Slipknot. By now any fan should've heard that they have a great live show. The sound is like the albums; aggressive and mean. The instruments are practically dead-on, and sound good. Joey has a drum solo, and it's pretty damn sweet. The bass stands out a bit more then on the albums, but it's not overpowering. S'all good. Except the vocals. I don't agree with the first guy on all aspects, but a good amount of them. His voice being muffled thru the mask isn't a bad thing, as the mask has a mouth hole, but Corey's voice is just like a little f--king girl in most songs when he screams, like The Blister Exists, Sic, Disasterpieces, etc. Although I like whoever does the backup vocals, 'cause they sound pretty evil, especially in Get This. // 8

Lyrics: We all know the lyrics. No need to go over them too much. There's the s--t (People=S--t, The Heretic Anthem, Disasterpieces) and the good stuff (Purity, Vermillion, Three Nil). // 7

Overall Impression: This is essentially a greatest hits album, only live with s--t singing. All of the songs are good (except Skin Ticket and Iowa) and I love how corey interacts with the crowd during and between the songs, saying stuff like 'yeah, put you f--kin' hands up in the f--kin air you crazy bastards'. The only bad thing is the vocals, which isn't too bad when you get used to it. If I lost it, I'm not sure if I would buy it again. I got it for 13 dollars on sale at Sam Goody, I wouldnt pay 20 for it though. // 7

9.0: Live Reviewed by: memoryremains50, on november 03, 2005

Sound: The instumental parts are amazing whether it is Jim or Mick's shredding guitar parts to Joey's godly drumming even Clown and Chris's bass drumming/floor toms the sound just gets better by the song. Sid does an amazing job with the turn tables etc. All and all the sound is flat out amazing. The only thing I could have used more of is Paul's bass. // 10

Lyrics: Coreys lyrics are dead on when the slow part in "Before I Forget" comes along the only word to describe his voice is absolutley sensational. He then goes on to sing "The Heretic Anthem" in which he starts out with the line "If you 555 then I'm 666" then once the song gets going he gets in the mode and does not miss a beat demonstrating that he is the best singer in the business today. "Duality" is amazing even with the crowd singing certain parts of the song. And finishes on "Surfacing" witha breath taking performance. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I am amazed by this album usaully live CD's are not of high quality but this one is just as good as a studio recorded album. The only other thing I could have wanted is a bonus DVD of the concert. Slipknot will never die. // 10

9.0: Live Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2005

Sound: I find the sound to be really well done, except for coreys voice. I think he needs some times off to recouperate but this album is amazing. The drum solo is one of the best ones I have heard joey play it makes you wonder how the hell he is playing soo fast without missing a beat. I love the song skin ticket and I was soo glad that they finally decided to play it live. // 10

Lyrics: Well the lyrics are fine but again I think Corey needs to take some time off. His voice has changed significantly since disasterpieces and even since The Subliminal Verses. I give they lyrics a nine 'cause Corey's voice just isn't that great anymore. // 9

Overall Impression: This live CD is amazing and if it was a video it would be even more amazing so we can see how they do all their shit now. I am very impresses with Skin Ticket because they pulled it off nearly perfectly and in the beginning of the album the dude phyics out the croud by saying "Slipknot will not be preforming tonight." If this CD was lost or stolen then I would denfinatly buy it again. // 10

9.0: Live Reviewed by: Irish Bassist, on november 18, 2005

Sound: It's Slipknot! 9. 0 of them. Live! So that's the title outa the way! Anyways I'm a huge Slipknot fan so this review may be a little biased but oh well. Anyways I purchased the DVD Disatsterpices when it came out and I loved it I purchased this when it came out and loved it. I've been to see the band live but for those fans who havent been as lucky as I have been the this is a damm good way of hearing them live. Being a nine piece will obviously have implications sound wise on a live CD but all the boys sound good, Mick and Jim sound CD perfect as does Joey, Paul shines through on this recording which I was very pleased with. // 9

Lyrics: All old songs here but they all rock! Two or three un-relased tracks made it onto the CD which is cool, Purity being my faveourite. Wait And Bleed, Spit It Out, Surfacing, Heretic Anthem etc. - they are all here, my only let down being My Plague I love that song but sadly it was left out. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album! If you love slipknot then you should love it too, hopefully this won't be the last live recording Slipknot release. Can't wait for the new album (whenever it arrives) but this should keep me and every other Slipknot fan happy until then. // 10

9.0: Live Reviewed by: obey_yourmaster, on may 20, 2006

Sound: The band is a post-Korn nu-metal band, de-tuning guitars to drop-B. I personally got attached to the band because of their scary, yet mezmerizing masks. I recommend them to any Korn fan, and any guitarist who wants some diversity in their arsenal. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are really hard to understand, and not just in the "deeper meaning" sense. Just in the literall sense they're hard to make out sometimes. The lyrics fit in very well with the guitars, drums, and bass (even though they were hard to make out). The lyrics (after I looked them up on the net) had a deeper meaning than what I thought. The singer doesn't really sing much, but when he does sing, it's pretty good. I give him a lot of credit. I can't even scream half as good as he can. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums, it ranks pretty high. It's like a Greatest Hits CD of Slipknot, only it's all live. I highly recommend it. The songs I enjoyed most were: The Blister Exists, (SIC), Surfacing, Wait and Bleed, The Heretic Anthem, The Nameless, and Eeyore. I loved the entire CD. The only thing I didn't like, was that some songs weren't whole, such as Iowa. But still, I loved it anyway. If stolen/lost, I would definetely buy it again. // 10

9.0: Live Reviewed by: leikenmaster, on november 07, 2005

Sound: The sound is great, they left everything as it was played at the concert giving you a more "realistic" live sound, I've heard people saying that Corey Taylor's voice is really bad in this album but I dont think it is, he gets off to a bad start but after the first song his voice comes into its own once again. the guitar played by Mick Thompson and James Root is amazing, and this is their first live album/dvd to feature a solo! // 9

Lyrics: I have always been a fan of their lyrics aswell as the overall sound, they use a wide range of vocabulary and using it in a very powerful way getting their message across to the listner with ease. They even do it in subliminal versus songs with out swearing too! // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album, it has all the best songs from all three albums live. If it was stolen I would hunt down the person who did and kill him, if I lost it I would buy another three just incase I lost another! I love all the songs on this album and it is great to hear an un-edited live show. It has an amazing 4 minute drum solo by Joey Jordisson too! The most impressive songs on the album are Before I Forget, People=Shit, Surfacing. // 10

9.0: Live Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 29, 2005

Sound: This sound is just amazing. I first got a little disappointed by the live version of the Nameless, but then kind of love it. All the instruments sound as weel as they can, except for #0 turntable performance, which was the worst I ever heard. Even #8 voice is good, considering the fact that he sings for hours and its natural that his voice gets irritated, and that in studio every voice sounds as perfect as they can. Although he demostrated again that he has one of the best voice in music world. I would just love it if #0 had a better performance. 9 just by this. // 9

Lyrics: I was just amazed by get this lyrics, which I've never heard before. But for the rest, they are as good as Slipknot is. Keep writing that well, Corey! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is as good as the previous three were. The live performance makes a good difference to hear, and I think I'm hearing them at their concert when I hear this album. Oh, it's so great! The best songs of this album are spit it out (specially when Corey sings "Not until I say jump the f--k up"), (Sic), Eyeless, Eyeore, Get This and The Heretic Anthem. Lucky for me, this album doesn't have the songs I hate from Slipknot, like gently. // 10

9.0: Live Reviewed by: lambofgod4750, on november 30, 2005

Sound: The sound is as always amazing as hell. The guitars are amazing. Mick and James really know how to tear it up guys. I love it live because they add new stuff in that's not on the albums themselves ya know. It's just really freaking awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Slipknot's lyrics have always been the best. The writing is so unique and so deep. Very in your face to I might add. It is the perfect mix of meaningful and powerful, they are amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: I like each of their albums for their own unique qualities. They all are SIC but I really love live Slipknot because it is so unique and powerful. I mean did you hear on the first track how pissed the crowd was when they said Slipknot wasn't going to play, man I wouldn't want to be that guy. All Slipknot rocks! // 10

9.0: Live Reviewed by: talirak, on january 06, 2006

Sound: Slipknot always impressed me with the pure sound of metal they make and I went to see them live a couple of times and even if slipknot is great on CD nothing is like seeing them live. On 9:0 Live if you already went to see them you will have a lot of great memories. And if you never went to see them it will make you want to go see them. And with Mick and Joey the band cannot be bad. // 9

Lyrics: All the lyrics of Slipknot are based on personnal experience and have a personnal meaning for them, so the instrumental is great but the lyrics are even something more and it brings all the greatest songs of each CDs they even played IOWA the 15 minutes monsters of IOWA CD and Corey is great he can scream his head off but as he showed in before I forget his voice if very good. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is something great to listen for every one that loves metal. There're songs that everyone can like as Before I Foget and also songs that people that listen to Slipknot for a long time will love: Surfacing or a song from Mate Feed Kill Repeat. On this album 2 songs impressed me by the implication of te fans they are spit it out and the heretic anthem. I think the only thing I d ont like of this CD is that it isnt longer and that there isnt a video. And if I lost this album I would buy it again in the next 24 hours it is sure. // 9

9.0: Live Reviewed by: scott24, on january 09, 2006

Sound: Well. Surely everyone Slipknot fan has heard what a great live show they have? If you don't believe go listen to 9.0 Live. It is probably one of the most accurate live albums I have ever heard. The guitars, drums and sampling is all perfect. The bass's settings aren't right but Paul still plays exactly like he should. The vocals are slightly mucked up but only when Corey screams. And I know alot of people have been saying Corey should give up, well that's good because they're taking a break all of 2006. So for the next live show Corey should be on top form. // 8

Lyrics: Not much to say about this because nothing can really change form the albums. It would sometimes seem like Corey forgets a few of the faster verses, but only slightly. Chris Fehn definetely seems on form with the backup singing. The same old beautifally crafted; fast, slow, screaming and whispering Slipknot lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably gonna be the only Slipknot album for a year or two. I sure as hell am glad they released before they're break 'cos this album is a great compilation with some of my favourite songs (Wait And Bleed, Eeyore and Purity) along with some of the less music types (most of the Iowa album). It is a Slipknot fan must have and would recommend buying it as soon as possible. // 9

9.0: Live Reviewed by: matster, on february 06, 2006

Sound: Slipknot are so much different to all the other stuff I listen to. I would say Slipknot are the heaviest metal I have heard in ages or maby even the most heavy band ever. This is live and sounds so much different to the normal recordings of the songs. I prefer it when it's normal because there is no screaming in the background and it's alot louder but that has nothing to do with this. But anything anyone can say Slipknot have some of the best guitarists ever and Corey Taylor's voice makes the metal feel go on. Mick serves up some great guitaring like in 'Three Nil' and 'Before I Forget' but my favorite would have to so to Three Nil. The intro is great and I will talk about the lyrics later. Now is a list of songs on each disk. I cannot complain about any of these songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to most of the songs go with the music. In 'Three Nil' the singing is loud in some lines and the next line is quieter. The lyrics from this song as an example are 'Cry for help/It's debatable' and 'The only reason you love me is because/I'm hated by all.' Those lyrics for me are great but all the songs have great lyrics and most of the songs are fom Volume3: The Subliminal Verses. That is my favorite album by Slipknot because the original is great. // 10

Overall Impression: This would compare because its like a greatest hits but live with all the great songs and lots of other songs. I would say the best songs are 'The Blister Exists', 'Three Nil', Befor I Forget' and 'Duality'. I loved basicly everything about this ablum and cannot say I hate anything aboul this album apart from where the f--k is 'Oplum Of The People' that's a great song and I cannot belive it's not on there. If it were stolen or lost I would not buy a new one 'cause it's on my mp3 but if I had no mp3 I would buy a new one. // 9

9.0: Live Reviewed by: GibsonBarracuda, on march 02, 2006

Sound: Slipknot is one of the most perfound live bands to this day and they brought it up a knotch above the rest of the live albums out there. The two disc set comes with the most original opening in history (just try to steal it you bastards). For those that didn't noticed but this band was made in about four to five cities in the states, and for those that didn't know now you do (sound like it was done all in one city). Slipknot has there audience eating out of there palms, no matter how much Corey (singer) yells "f--k you" to the crowd there reply in cheers. // 10

Lyrics: The sing from this CD actually sounds like the original deal. For lyrics Corey was good control of his octive range (that includes his growlish yelling). // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before this band is simply the best live band out there and its hard to find a comparison. The most impressive song on this album is, that's to hard to say personaly I love The Blister Exists to Purity are the best songs on the first CD and on the second CD The Nameless, To The End are the best. If it was stolen id have to go and by another one with out question. And on a last note I would like to say that if you illegal downloaded this cd to go and fornicate yourself with a large jagged object and go out and buy the CD. // 9

9.0: Live Reviewed by: Mr.Awesome, on september 14, 2006

Sound: Now, I haven't been a fan of Slipknot for very long, I actually used to hate the band, but I must say, this CD (double disc) really changed my point of view towards them. I borrowed this CD off a friend for a couple days, and I actually started to like them, mainly because I was impressed at their ability to play such a great live gig. I've seeb lots of bands play live, and it's become obvious that the hardest gigs to play, are metal gigs, the band just gets tired, and the vocals are usually crap. However, on this cd, it's as if it's a studio album, Corey never misses a note, but the mask kinda muffles the vocals, and makes him sound like he's shooting random gibberish out of his mouth. // 9

Lyrics: Like I said before, pretty hard to understand some songs, but on all the others, he can bealt out the song so powerfully, it's shocking! Like in "Before I Forget". He sings the song so well, and so loudly without messing up one single note, it's enough to put Bjorn (In Flames) to shame. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is like none other, the songs are all well played, especially the drum solo on number 11, and the sound quality is amazing, minus some of the vocals. Probably, the best songs on this album are "Before I Forget", "Skin Ticket", and ooh, lets say "Wait And Bleed", just cause it sounds so awesome on this CD. I really love the guitar best on this album, the drums are alos fantastic, and the only thing I can really complain about are the muffled vocals, sometimes they get really annoying. Mind you, if someone stoll this CD, I wouldn't care, not because it's not mine, but because I don't like it enough, I'd just get it burned or somethin'. // 8

9.0: Live Reviewed by: Shabalaba, on february 26, 2007

Sound: Well I got into Slipknot a couple of years ago when they released Vol.3 The Subliminal Verses, until then I had missed the releases of Iowa with me being young and not really lissenin to music. I've had this CD for a while now and it's fantastic. The songs on it consist of a few taken from each album. It is a double disc CD, my favourite is CD 1 because it as Left behind, Before I Forget and in general my favourite songs. Anyway the sound is amazing, it sounds rawer and more aggressive with it being live. Also a common misconception is that it is from one show, it is from a the whole Vol.3 tour. // 10

Lyrics: With it being live and it taking songs from each album, the lyrics are usually judged on the non live CDs, but ye they are good lyrics.The first review on this page says that Corey Taylors voice was crap, he has the right to say what he thinks but I think that his voice just sounds rawer. // 10

Overall Impression: It's very good, great sound, great songs that have been put on. The spectical of the album for me is the Left Behind then Before I Forget combo, it just sounds fab. I just love the feel of the music, but the only bad thing is sometimes Corey starts talking to the crowd and it can be like 2 minutes but apart form that is really good. // 10

9.0: Live Reviewed by: givemepie, on april 16, 2007

Sound: As you know, this isa live album.The good thing about live albums is that they show an impression of the band that you wouldn't get from something recorded in a studio; you get to see (and hear) thier raw talent. In 9:0 Live, Slipknot do not dissapoint. They all prove that they can do everything that a fully mixed track could show. Great! // 9

Lyrics: Corey Taylor proves to everybody that will buy this album that he can both sing, and quickly change his vocal style in a way that goes with everything else going on in the background. He gets the timing perfect almost all of the time. Now I get to a problem: the vocals can a lot of the time be hard to follow, and it can be hard to understand as well. The fact that most of the songs have a clear meaning makes up for that problem though. // 8

Overall Impression: the album has 2 discs, and a total of 24 tracks including Joey Jordison's amazing drum solo. The track cover their 3 major albums, and all fit in time. When I got this from the local music store, I listened to it 3 times in 2 days, and I still listen to it a lot. The fact with 9:0 Live is that it shows that: not only are Slipknot good in a studio, but they really shine in live performances as well. If you are a Maggot, get this if you havn't already. If you are a metal fan, get it. But if you want something new, try it, you might like it. // 9

More Slipknot reviews rating latest review
+ Slipknot 8.7 05/28/2012