Iowa Review

artist: slipknot date: 11/02/2011 category: compact discs
slipknot: Iowa
Released: Aug 28, 2001

Genre: Rock

Tones: Hostile, Angry, Volatile, Visceral, Fiery, Aggressive, Menacing, Raucous, Angst-Ridden

Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal

Lyrics: 9.8
 9.1
 9.7
 8.4
Iowa Reviewed by: calvinthecanadi, on february 23, 2006

Sound: The sound on this CD is amazing. Mick's BC Rich custom guitar is blaring away in all the songs and Joey's drums beat out the rhythm steadily along with a few quick drum solos. Corey's lyrics on this CD are great with songs about Bully's, girlfriends and songs about our generation. Mostly these styles are metal and a bit of rock in there to. // 9

Lyrics: 01. People=Shit - when asked why "People=Shit" Crahan says "We are what we are, we just waste and we ruin and we corrupt, and we destroy," so People=Shit basically because we are our own worst enemy, we are going to be the end of the earth and no one seems to give a shit. The message trying to get across is that of the human race is depleating itself of the simple pleasures in life and that everyone is now fake. Fake meaning people, society, everyone, is now pretending to be someone else. Not caring about others, and just themselves. In this act, they are a disease put on earth and we must show them the reality of life. They kill themselves, and or others, because they do not know what is going on in the real world because they are so wrapped up in the world politics and media, they hide reality from people because it will scare them. People need to know. People are the #1 cause of destruction on this earth and this needs to change, but the sad fact is, we can't. That is what they are trying to get across. 02. Disasterpeice - the interpretation for this song is that Corey is reminiscing about a former bully that used to pick on him. He has finally snapped from the aggression due to the bully and now wants to kill him. He is also feeling down, because of the fact that he's been on the receiving end of the bullying and he's fed up with all the stuff he's forced to deal with. The person who used to pick on him did not believe in him at all, and now Corey is laughing in his face to prove that he was wrong in the end. 03. My Plague - Corey is pissed and fed up from posers. The quote "Kill you f--k you I will never be you" is directed to followers. People who are not being themselves, and trying to fit in by acting like someone else. The quote "I know why you plague me" basically means that he knows why people are messing with him and he is sick of it and of all the posers in this world; people doing things for popularity and so on. The quote "I'll reach in and take a bite out of that shit you call a heart," is just warning everyone not to push him any further or else he will snap and kill him. The quote "I know why u plague (yourself)" is informing the person that he knows why he is messing around with him, and that he has had enough and he cannot be pushed around any longer. 04. Everything Ends - the song is about a relationship with a woman that has gone sour. The incident was very extreme and Corey is talking about slitting his wrists because of it, and not caring. He is saying that he doesn't care for anyone or anything anymore. He is too unsure of himself and the state he is in to care about anything. The woman he was with thought she was too good for Corey, and began to cheat on him (the quote "And found my whole life was a lie, mother f-er"), and now Corey is extremely mad about this breakup and is snapping and moving into the state of suicide. 05. The Heretic Anthem - my favorite song. The Heretic Anthem is about Corey standing his ground of becoming the exact opposite of what people want him to be, to prove a point. The point of not selling out, not following people, not taking orders from people. With lyrics describing man as 555, Satan as 666, and God as 777, the theme of hate once again prevails. It is also a large 'F--k You' to the music industry and bands that have sold out. It also states that now, Corey is teaching the young of our race (teenagers) which refers to showing them the truth of life. That it's not all pink and happy, that it can be a brutal and scary place at times. 06. Gently - Gently is a song that first appeared with Anders on Slipknot's debut outing, MFKR. This was Anders' interpretation of the song, using his lyrics, "Gently is about stepping into the "Umbra" or "Spirit World." It's accomplished with the help of any reflective surface." 07. Left Behind - in Left Behind, there is alot of metaphors of Corey attempting to explain what is happening to him. The basis of the song is that a dear friend of Corey was never actually there. The person was always trying to be someone else, and never said what they wanted to, did what they wanted to, etc. Because of this, Corey cannot deal with it and is ending their relationship. He is extremely depressed and is not too stable of himself and is giving the statement that if the person tries to get close to him again, that he will take drastic actions. 08. The Shape - in The Shape, Corey is experiencing a huge problem. He is too confused to actually come out and say it, because hes not sure how to deal with it. He uses alot of metaphors trying to get out his feelings, but its so hard that he can only mannage to "beat around the bush" for say. 09. I Am Hated - in this song, Corey's basis is that he hates the people who jump from band to band, followers, teenyboppers, and they hate him. It's a tic for tac situation. He states that he will never become like them and try to become someone they are not, and that he is proud to be himself. Even if that means being fat, ugly, and not popular. He is proud even with all those things holding him back, and isn't going to let it hold him down and will fight it and become more popular as time goes on. He states that boybands and such are just 'dragged and raped for the love of a mob' which means that they will become the fans play-thing as long as they keep buying their records. They only care about the money and not about the image they give out to their young fans about society and self esteem. They let themselves get pushed around, but no, Slipknot is showing them the exact opposite. They are showing themselves to stand their ground, to prove a point, to get a message across, to reach in to grab the souls of the festering society of todays world, and show them the true reality of their world. 10. Skin Ticket - in the song Skin Ticket, Corey feels as though a lot of people in our generation are greedy spoiled bastards with no care for anything but themselves. People have the desire for themselves, and nothing else. They have all these wants, such as possessions, and even more phsycological things. They really do not care how they end up getting it. They just want it. They want for these things, wether it be material or emotional, is incredible. They want and want and never give anything back. These people do not deserve what there wanting though they keep running towards it, thus pushing it back even further. 11. New Abortion - with the quote "I'm ethereal, my children are legion, serial They stick to my skin like beloved cysts" Corey is getting across that all of us maggots stick together, we are one, and Corey feels like we are all his children, and he is the guiding light to show us the way. With the quote "Everywhere you look, it's like they know, their fingerprints are hidden by control." He is stating that these parents/authority figures, think they know every little thing about everything. The reality is they have no clue what the younger generatoin is capable of, and they fail to realize this, with all these rules and restrictions. With the quote "You can't take my soul away from me" Corey is saying you do not control me, and you never will. Meaning I am for me. Not for you, get the f--k out of here, I am not your puppet. With the quote "What do you need to see? Ya feel the impact?" He is saying do you need to be shown what we are capable of? Your not going to take our word for it because your stubborn and think your right. The basic overlay of New Abortion is we maggots need to stick together to survive. We will not stand to be pushed around any longer. We will not be looked down upon anymore because there is so much more depth, so much more then what these a$$holess see. They look, they judge, and that's the end of it. They don't bother to wander beneath the surface of things. They think they're right and really they're so wrong it's pitifull they do not realize we maggots are done with the be-littling. Time to take control. 12. Metabolic - in Metabolic, Corey is trying to get across that he isn't perfect. This song is a little phsycotic because with the quote "The hardest part was knowing that I could never be you" he is saying he knew he wanted to be like his father but he was to imperfect to fill his shoes. The quote "My demise - I took a life worth living and made it worth a mockery" is powerful because he took his life, which was in the begining worth living, and he screwed up so much, he turned it into shit. The quote "I wanna dress in your insecurities and be the perfect you" means, I wanna wear your flaws, and be the ultimate You. The perfect man. But it won't happen because I am to imperfect. The quote "Here we go - the ultimate irony " is that he wanted to be his father but now he is no-where, and he is known by so many, he is important, and his father still hasn't changed. You're in the same place you've always been. The irony factor is if he chose to be exactly like him, he'd be know where I would be too. So, his messed up life, and the shit I was forced to go through, has turned out to be worth it in the end. 13. Iowa - ok here it is the 15 minute showstopper. The meaning is basically the same as the one from MFKR. The song is about someone who kills women and recreates them in his own image, like a living doll type thing (Corey was butt-naked and all cut up and bleeding during the recording of this song). Corey is probably the best metal singer I've heard just beacause he can make his voice go from quiet to loud as he can go. His throat must be killing him form all the shows and the recordings too! // 10

Overall Impression: This album without a doubt is the best metal album in years. Notihng can compare to it, nothing at all! I think the most impressive songs about this album are where Corey is singing about his life with Bully's and girlfriends because it's just sometihng most people can relate to because they've gone through it. // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 24, 2003

Overall Impression: I think IOWA was a huge leap for Slipknot. After the 99' release of self-titled Slipknot, IOWA was simple incredible. On IOWA you can tell how Slipknot had become better musicians using alot of fast technical work, and way heavier riffs. Slipknot members did mention how IOWA would be darker and heavier than the self-titled album and boy! Were they right. Dark songs such as "Skin Ticket" and the remake of the classic origional Slipknot song "Gently" from M.F.K.R (Mate, Feed, Kill, Repeat, Slipknot's 1995 demo) were amazing dark, scary, bone chilling songs. Also songs such as "People = Shit" and "The Heretic Anthem" were perfect examples of the fact that IOWA was heavier than the self-titled album. I love the technical work Mick and Jim (guitarists) use on this album. The creativity, speed, and accuracy Jim and Mick have in their guitar playing on this album is amazing. In concusion IOWA kicks ass and any Slipknot fan or metal fan or person searching for some good hard metal, my advice to you is get IOWA! // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2004

Sound: This is an incredible cd! Obviously the best of the three Slipknot albums (four if you include M.F.K.R.) It's sound is far superior to the previous self-titled album, their are alot less annoying high pitched squeals, ie: Eyeless, Surfacing. More chunky, metal guitar riffs. The sound has become more mainstream, but maybe it's for the better, plus, both guitarist have more alternate parts instead of both playing the same thing. // 8

Lyrics: The only word I can think of to describe Corey's lyrics is amazing. He is an incredible song writer, songs like the heretic anthem and my plague show how good his lyrics are. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely a worthwhile buy, I always have it close by to listen to. The best songs from this album are My Plague, Poeple=S--t, New Abortion, The Heretic Anthem, Everything Ends. The only part of this cd I didnt enjoy was how their were songs that were incredible and songs that I wouldn't stoop low enough to listen to. How can Metabolic compare with incredible songs like New Abortion? But I still say this is one of my favorite cds. // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: ADarkerBreed, on february 11, 2005

Sound: Slipknot put their full force behind this album, a mix of hardcore/nu-metal/grind/rap and even industrial. One may think that this mix of genre's would sound something like and audible bomb, but Slipknot pull this off not only with the best sounding CD since the release of their self-titled album. Joey Jordison's drumming is not only fast, visceral, and even ambient. With each song the drumming has a new distinct, true (being the only word I can find to describe it) sound. IOWA is one of the biggest showings of this, IOWA's ethereal sound, the dark drumming. Guitar, both by Mick Thompson and James Root are completely awesome as guitarists on this album, their fury in Heretic Anthem, I Am Hated and People=Shit prove Slipknot is one of the heaviest and best bands of our time. Left Behind shows that the heaviest guitar can be rolled over into slightly simplistic yet undeniably powerful intro and chorus riffs. Corey Taylor's vocals are beautiful, and awe-inspiring, dark, and visceral. IOWA shows his darkness, as he whispers, moans and roars his way into one's mind. The change between singing and screaming on Left Behind is streamlined and slightly mainstream. Pual's bass is dark, and furious, though less abundant than the guitar, drums and vocals. Sid Wilson and Craig Jones' work on the album, though less than on the selftitled album, still add ambient, ethereal, dark, industrial, and spastic feel to each song they touch. // 10

Lyrics: The writing on this album works, it is good, sometimes great. Corey uses his vocabular knowledge is put to good use throughout the album. The writing though will win no awards for Slipknot, as it is otherwise simplistic and either too blunt, or too encrypted at times. The lyrics are perfect for the music, and a complete feeling fills the songs. Corey does an almost perfect job as the words are sung beautifully. // 10

Overall Impression: Another one of my favorite albums ever. Left Behind, Heretic Anthem, People=Shit, I Am Hated and IOWA are all must hears. Every part is filled with the energy that made Slipknot, Slipknot! The only thing I don't like is the lack of lyrical prowess. I need to buy it again, or even burn it from a friend, IOWA was my fav CD, and I did lose it, I gotta get it again! // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: tulsa29, on august 27, 2007

Sound: The Iowa album's sound was magnificent with the combination of the crowd pleasing People = Shit and The vicious Heretic Anthem. Joey's (the main drummer) fast ass drumming went into James and mick's riffs like butter on toast. The last Track (Iowa) dragged on way too long, fifteen minutes altogether. I am Hated was a fantastic song yet they nine members could have made the ending a lot better but they made up for it for that by the following melodic track Skin Ticket. In my opinion Gently and Iowa are the only bad songs on the entire album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to many of the songs wern't very inspiring for anything yet the way corey sang them, as always, makes the audience scream louder when they hear the songs on this perticular album such as, My Plauge, The Heretic Anthem, People = Shit, Everything Ends, Left Behind, Disasterpeices and Skin Ticket. The Lyrics to most of the songs fit in Perfectly along with 133's (the dude with the spikes in his head) samples and coreys ecstatic roars. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to The Subliminal Verses and Slipknot(clean) this is probably the best album to date besides 9.0 live because that album had everything you could want from slipknot. The most impressive song on this album, in my opinion, would be either The Heretic Anthem or People = Shit, I'm sure you'd agree. The only thing I hate about this album was that the intro to Iowa(the song not the album), it was boring and it made me want to sleep, to this day I still havn't listened to the song all the way through. I'f I lost this album, I would either steal it off someone else or go and buy it and I advise all the maggots out there to do the same. // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: Shabalaba, on september 12, 2007

Sound: Slipknot is one of my fave bands, it has a uniqueness about it, the vocals aren't screamed, they are rough vocals and also Corey can sing melodies. The varitity of Slipknot doesnt't show on this CD as much as Vol. 3 but it is still fabulous. This album is very heavy, the heavyest they have done to date. I love the riffs on this CD especially Left Behind. // 10

Lyrics: Corey is a very versitial vocalist, if you listen to his other band Stone Sour, there is a lot more melodic vocals than in Slipknot. The lyrics are very good with a meaning usually behind them. On this album there is a lot of harsh vocals and some rapping aswell. The main reason I like Slipknot is the vocals work so well with the heavy Crunching riffs. // 9

Overall Impression: I play this album a lot on my computer and in my CD player, along witht the other Slipknot CDs and Trivium. It is one of my favourate albums. My favourate songs are "The Heretic Anthem", "Disasterpice", and "Left Behind". I would definately buy this album again if I lost it. // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: rebornmaster9, on march 16, 2010

Sound: first thing I would like to say is that I love slipknot they are one of my favorite bands, and I would listen to them all day non stop. IOWA is most likely my favorite album. This album is a must if you call your self a maggot. Compaired to there self titled album this album is heavier and darker. Slipkot is well known for there heavy guitars and insane drums. Many of the songs are tuned to Drop B, this time around about half the album is on drop A. Mick Thomson and Jim Root's guitar work on this album is amazing. The two work together perfectly when playing songs like the heretic anthem and disasterpeice. // 8

Lyrics: Corey Taylor lets it all loose on this album. Using every word in the book to describe personal struggles, depression, and everything in between. Many of these themes you can relate to in some way. Though my favorite song has to be the heretic anthem, just because of how well its screamed and lyricly it gives one the sense of impending doom. Corey has laid down some sic lyrics on this album and holds nothing back. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is a great buy and is a must for any Maggot, saying you like slipknot and not having this album is hypocritcal. Though if you new to slipknot I wouldn't recomend starting here. Start out on volume 3 and work your way back. Some of the bands most memorable songs come off this album, imagine a whole crowd of maggots screaming at the top of there lungs, "IF YOUR 555 THEN I'M 666" after hearing the heretic anthem you will find yourself singing or screaming that everywhere you go. Though I did not like the last song IOWA due to it being about 15 minutes long. Other then that one song the rest of the album is a great listen, especially before church on sundays. // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on april 24, 2006

Sound: Definatley a younger Slipknot. This is easily way before they seemed to calm down music-wise and wrote Vol. 3: Subliminal Verses. This album cross over not only nu-metal, but rap/grind/heavy metal. This album is the musical equivalent to a nuclear bomb. The Drumming on this album is mind-blowing. Never have I heard something so heavy, so angry. Not is it there to keep the beat, it, in my opinion, is there to remind the listener what the hell they are listening to. Had it been fast, talentless it would not be Slipknot. Jim Root and Mick Thompson are fantastic guitarists. The work is heavy, fast, intimidating, and angry. The effects pedals are pushed almost over the limit where no effect pedal should. The Heretic Anthem is a good example of the ability of the guitars. The bassist, Paul, is finely tuned to his maximum potiental. The bass riffs are deep, angry, and set a good amount of the angrieness in SlipKnot. In fact, so deep that they must be sent to a factory to be tuned (I think). Though less than the self-titled album, the tables are used in the right moments, and when used, are spun into full potiental. // 9

Lyrics: Meaningful and amazing. Just two words that describe Corey's abilities. This is one of the things that makes them Slipknot. They cover many topics, from girlfriends, to self-destruction, none of which are happy. Though the F-bomb is dropped several times in several songs, it is worth listening to. Corey also has some of the widest vocabulary I've seen yet, and he oncorporates that into many of his songs. I'd goves examples, but that would mean listing lyrics to every song, and straying off topic. Corey is one of the most talented singers today, and he will forever remain in years to come. // 10

Overall Impression: It can't compare to any other artist, simply because Slipknot is Slipknot. They don't follow any trends. They stand alone when it comes to nu-metal. There is no other band heavier and more musically talented at they same time. The most impressive songs on the album are My Plauge, People=Shit, Diasterpiece, Heretic Anthem, Gently and Iowa, the 15-minute showstopper. This album is for metalheads everywhere. And if your no become one and buy this album // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: boyan89, on august 29, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is a metallic masterpiece and it is one of the most heaviest albums I have ever heard. The guitars on this album are absolutely incredible, Jim and Mick are probably one of the best guitar duos today with Mick's furious leads and Jims amazing style of Rhythm they make it all worthwhile. The drums on this album are really good, Joey is one of the best drummers in the history of heavy-ass metal. Paul is a really good bassist and he keeps on impressing with his bass riffs in the songs. The rest of the instruments do their job and it really cool to see a band would have a DJ, turntables, and percussion. // 10

Lyrics: Corey Taylor is one amazing songwriter and man has he been through a lot of shit in his life and I'm kind of going through the same things he's going through right now. He has been bullied, his dad left him before he was even born and he was betrayed which really sucks but he got revenge on almost everyone and took out his anger. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other albums because it is like nothing you have heard before and it is really cool. I don't have favourite songs on this album because all of them kick ass and just are amazing in their own way. I love everything about and hate nothing about it sure they didn't have guitar solos but that's because their label wouldn't let them. If it were stolen/lost I would beat the living shit out ofa anyone that stole it. I would recommend this album to almost anyone and oh yah if your looking for soft stuff just don't even touch this album touch Vol.3 where they are more calm. If you are looking for really heavy stuff then touch this and you will be amazed by the sound of this album. // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: mobius90, on august 13, 2007

Sound: This was the first Slipknot album I ever bought. I'd been told by many friends that Slipknot would be my type of music, since I love metal. Well they were damn right! I saw the shiny reflective cover of Iowa and just had to buy it, to check it out. When I heard the first song, (515), I kinda freaked out, wondering what on earth I had bought. Then People=Shit started, and I thought "wow, I didn't realise how pissed off you can get". From that moment on, I loved Slipknot. It is probably the heaviest music I have ever heard. It's really catchy death/nu metal, if you can call metal catchy. This album is the one album that totally changed my view of music, and I moved away from the conformist style music to metal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are all about anger, hatred and violence (self-evident). But the lyrics seem touch a little deeper, if you listen to them carefully. They are about subjects many a musician wouldn't dare go near, let alone express in such a way that Slipknot does. Sometimes, the lyrics do stray a bit from their topics, but generally they are great and to the point. The singer (or screamer, cause he hardly ever sings) has fantastic vocals, despite the fact it's not really singing. It adds a fair bit of depth to the music, and makes the whole album just that much more surreal. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't really compare Slipknot to any other band or musicians that I know. The best songs on this album are probably People=Shit, Disasterpiece, and My Plague. These are really catchy songs, that just get in your head and you can't get them out. To finish, slipknot and their music are something to be reckoned with. I seriously would not want to cross these guys path, particularly after they've done a recording. Top stuff, give it a shot, and if you're a metal fan, it's a must buy. // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 28, 2008

Sound: Slipknot's heavy and extreme yet beautiful sound truly comes to head on this album. Guitars, vocals, drums and sampling/scratchng are at their best. The songs stay consitent in style but maintain their own identity instead of molding together like a lot of very heavy albums. Slipknot were intent of staying different from a lot of bands in the nu-metal scene and I must say that they became a definite stand-out with IOWA. // 9

Lyrics: Overall the lyrics are generally of the same topics as on the first album. The only differences are: Corey being able to dig deeper into his childhood and his entire past life and give us a bigger view of his early troubles. Corey also being able to give more vocal changes from screaming and singing to give more emotion when needed. Individual songs: 01. People=shit - Slipknot's signature saying become one their most brutal songs. The lyrics seem to speak of Corey just slowly becoming more psychotic due to people he can't stand anymore. 02. Disasterpiece - the opening lyrics are just gruesome but they convey the message saying "Don't f--k with me" and Corey adds a haunting singing bridge that makes you feel like you are trapped in an insane asylum. 03. My Plague - this song is a good take on Corey being able to switch between screaming, rapping and singing. I find the lyrics saying that Corey knows the innermost secrets of someone and compares himself to that person. Near the end he begins to scream that he will never be them. Speaking as to a mentor or parent. 04. Everything Ends - Slipknot's take on a relationship gone bad. The opening lyrics say it all as Corey speaks to someone who has completely betrayed him. 05. Heretic Anthem - a giant middle finger to the music industry and record companies. Using references of God, humans and Satan as labels, Corey tells how Slipknot will not allow themselves to be used. 06. Gently - this song is a remake from their independent release. It has been reconstructed well, musically. The lyrics are the same but they seem to bring the listener into the mind of a killer or someone who has lost all sanity. 07. Left Behind - one of the singles from the album, Left Behind is another song where Corey transitions from screaming verses to singing chorus. The lyrics are of someone being abandoned by his friends/relatives. 08. The Shape - this song is being sung from the point of view of someone like a serial killer who as become completely insane as he speaks of losing his only way and seeing "The Shape." 09. I Am Hated - lyrics brought to the listener by rapping of "fast-talking" the lyrics are kind of garbled but are very important the mindset of the album as Corey restates how people make him feel. 10. Skin Ticket - this songs gives the impression as to the mind set of someone like Charles Manson or any psychotic killer who has just completely snapped. 11. New Abortion - this is Corey talking to the fans, calling them "... beloved cysts." This song also seems to talk to the Slipknot haters as Corey screams "You can't take my soul away!" 12. Metabolic - not a real standout track, lyrically. I find it to be more of a transition between New Abortion and Iowa. 13. Iowa - the title track is more of a story at it's climax than a song. The lyrics tell the tale of a man trapped in a desolate, isolated place who has become obsessed with someone. He speaks as he tortures this person, playing as a narrator. The character seems to slowly become more insane and vicious as the song progresses. The song itself is a monster at 15 minutes. Near the end, odd vocal sounds can be heard such as: psychotic laughing, demonic gurgles and heavy breathing. This song is the masterpiece of the album and definately should be saved for last. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is so far Slipknot's most brutal and heavy and it is full of lyrics concerning with hate, pain, depression and psychosis. If you love brute force and power, then this is the album for you. First time listeners for Slipknot should hear the first album before this one to get an idea as to where the topics and ideas come from. I love the power and aggression the the entire band displays on this album. I am not a fan of I am Hated because musically it doesn't seem to fit the album. The best songs are "People=Shit" "Left Behind" "Disasterpiece" "New Abortion" and "Iowa." I would buy this album over and over again! // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: mchugh92, on april 15, 2008

Sound: Lets recount what happened with Slipknot before this album, they released their self-titled major label debut, they were categorised as nu-metal, and there were unmistakable elements of it example: Corey's rap-style vocals, and many so-called metal purists dismissed them as just another nu-metal band. The one thing that you cannot deny is that Iowa was an evolution for Slipknot, it was their heaviest, rawest and most twisted effort to date, guitarists Mick Thompson and James Root play chugging uber-heavy riffs (the heretic anthem), twisted leads (disasterpiece, skin ticket), bassist paul gray has two haunting riffs on here (gently, iowa), drummer Joey Jordison is just unbelievable, his drum solo on "People = Shit" is like "WOW!", percussionists Shawn and Chris help create this wall of sound that makes you wanna punch someone in the face, on turntables is Sid Wilson, he isn't as prominent on here as he was on the self titled, and sampler 133 fills in the gaps, the best example of his genius is on the title track where there are samples of corey laughing maniacally, people screaming in agony, and all matter of twisted sounds, while the bass plays that haunting riff I mentioned before. // 10

Lyrics: Corey Taylor is one of favorite songwriters, his lyrics are cryptic and make you think, I relate to most of the topics presented on this album, his volcabulary is what makes this album a more theraputic listen. 01. (515) - there are no lyrics on this, it is just an intro for the album personally I don't see the point of it being on here. 02. People = Shit - this track will scare the hell out of you if you aren't used to heavy music, my interpetation of this song is that it is about how corey hates people who judge him for his mistakes in life, and how it is his business and not theirs. 03. Disasterpiece - this song is about being bullied and getting revenge for it and then killing yourself afterwards, my interpetation is that it is about someone Corey got bullied by and how this person never learnt to deal with his own problems so he took his anger out on people smaller and weaker than him, I can relate to this topic, because I suffered a lot of bullying in school. 04. My Plague - this was the second single, it is about posers who do terrible things to others to prove that they are "cool", of course Corey says it much more cryptic. 05. Everything Ends - this song is about a relationship that has failed, and how Corey wants to end it all by killing himself, it can also be interpeted as an unrequited love, and how this has affected him, at first you would think this sounds emo, but the music actually captures the angst of the feelings being described. 06. The Heretic Anthem - any true slipknot fan has at least heard this song, this song is about how people hear the story of God and Heaven and are so desperate to believe in something, they are easily convinced, but this song also explains that the band are not going to give in to commercialism or conformity. 07. Gently - this was on their album Mate Feed Kill Repeat, it is slightly different from the other version, my interpetation is that it is written through the point of view of someone with an addiction, and it makes them forget about their problems for a short time, and then it wears off and they accept the inevitable, this doesn't have to be a drug or alcohol addiction, it could be a sexual addiction, OR it could be about a rapist who forgets about his problems through hurting others, there are so many ways to interpet this song. 08. Left Behind - this was the first single and is the song everybody knows, I interpet that it is about being decieved over and over again by the same person and how Corey ignores it, and how every time he sees this "friend" he feels like killing them, this song is good but it gets kind of old after a while. 09. The Shape - this song is about breaking off some kind of relationship, this does not have to be a girlfriend or boyfriend, it could be about a friend or a family member who wronged you, I think that it's about being friends with somone who does harmful things to himself and others, and how this is interfering with their relationship with Corey, and Corey decides he doesn't want to fraternise with them anymore because he is sick of trying to convince them that what they're doing is wrong. 10. I Am Hated - this song is about the band hating people who follow trends and change their personality, choice of clothes etc. to fit in with the popular crowd, and they will never be truly free and they also judge others who are different which is a big mistake. 11. Skin Ticket - this song is pretty twisted, it is about feeling like the entire world is against you, this is caused by being decieved through your entire life, and how you thrive off other people's sympathy and how this mentality drives you to insanity. 12. New Abortion - this was dedicated to us maggots not the posers, the people who really understand the band and music there are mentions of if you mess with one of us we will unite and destroy you, this song isn't a personal favorite of mine, but it's still a great listen. 13. Metabolic - I think when Corey wrote this he had his father in mind, I interpet this as how he always wanted to be like his father despite the fact he never met him at this point, this messed with Corey so much he felt like killing himself sometimes, there are also mentions of how Corey had a great life anyway but he wasted it trying to be like his father, this song shows Corey's vulnerable side in the best way. 14. Iowa - this song was also on the MFKR album, it was originally called "Killers Are Quiet", and the lyrics are slightly different from the older version, though they still keep to the same topic, which is through the point of view of a killer who would rape, murder and then cut up women and shape them into dolls, it kind of takes the exploits of killers like ted bundy and ed gein to the extreme, the song itself is over 15 minutes long, and is possibly one of the most twisted songs I have ever heard. Corey's voice is amazing, he screams, sings, mumbles, and laughs his way through the album, and if you listen closely you can tell he is wearing his heart on his sleeve on every single track, the lyrics and music fit together so well it makes it hard to tell which was written first. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of my favorites of all time, the passion and soul put into it showcases Slipknot are not into being typical rockstars, and out of all the nu-metal bands they stand out the most. Although this style of music is not for everybody, if you're not into heavy music this album isn't for you. I would say that this and Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses) tie for best Slipknot album. The only flaw on this album is in the song "I am Hated" the vocals are hard to understand during the verses, although the song is still pretty badass. // 9

Iowa Reviewed by: execution_666, on june 09, 2008

Sound: Iowa takes you through the darkest parts of life in general and shows you how much it can affect any one person. This is done by intense and brutal sound; low tuned and crushing guitars and bass, speedy drum beats, and scary uses of samples and turntables. The intro (515), for example, is creepy samples work and a person shouting "death" over and over. This is similar to Slipknot's self titled album where the intro is "the whole thing I think is sick" said over and over. It gives you a creepy vibe and that's exactly what it's set to do; along with intordoucing you to the rest of the album. The sound is simply amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics this time around are brutal and "in your face". With songs such as Disasterpiece, showing a great amount of hate towards one person; to songs such as I am Hated, showing self respect and not caring what others say or think about you. Everything is pretty straight forward (I.e. "people equal shit", you can't get any clearer than that). Each song has a certain reason and meaning behind it. Corey Tayler does his best to represent that through his lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best Slipknot albums, and hell, to me, one of the best albums out there. Every song will make you feel differently and will trigger certain emotions maybe even memories and you'll have something to say about them. There is no "one song is better than the other", each of them are amazing in their own way. This album is killer, if I lost it I would have to make another purchase. If it was stolen, I would have to make a kill. // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: SicMaggot133, on october 19, 2011

Sound: Slipknot's sound is very different than any other band I know. In this album, every space of each song is just filled some crazy shit that sounds good. Its a very dark album. When I listen to this, I don't just "listen to it" like nothing. It definitely changes the atmosphere, its just very dark & heavy sh-t. The intro track "(515)" prepares you for what's to come on this album, its the sound of insanity, the sound of sadness, the sound of anger & hate. In each song, you can hear the emotions in Corey's vocals. His vocals are one of my favorites in metal. His screams & vocals are simply amazing. I'm surprised he can sing in clean vocals as well, you can hear it in the choruses of "My Plague" & "Left Behind". The drum & percussion work are pretty good in this one. You can really hear it in "People=Sh-t", "Skin Ticket", & "Iowa". Craig & Sid's samples are great. Without them, this album wouldn't be what it is. They really change the atmosphere in each song, its beautiful in a dark, twisted way. Mick & Jim's guitar work is great. They play on drop b tuning, so it sounds dark & weird/trippy in a good way. You can hear the trippyness in "Skin Ticket". Paul's bass are pretty good I'd say although you don't hear it as much as in their previous. Sometimes you'll hear this clanking noise that comes from his bass strings. You can really hear what he plays in "Gently" & "Iowa". Overall I just really love the dark twisted sound from this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in each song has ALOT of meaning. Well, at least to me it does. I, personally, can relate to to most of their songs on this album. The lyrics are pretty straightforward & "in your face". Although in some songs, I needed a dictionary to figure out what some of these big words meant. Lol. there's alot of swearing in this album, so be prepared. The lyrics that have alot of meaning to me personally would be in "People=Sh-t", "Disasterpiece", "The Heretic Anthem", "The Shape" & "Everything Ends". Basically, every song is about hatred, anger, depression, & sadness. But overall, these are great, dark, relatable lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely the darkest & heaviest slipknot album & also my favorite one from them. Its somewhat similar to their previous debut album, but its just 10 times as heavier & 5 times as technical. Every one of these songs ARE my favorite. There isn't one song that didn't hit a home run for me. I love everything about this album, there's nothing I dislike about it. If this CD were lost, stolen, or somehow broken, I would definitely buy another one, but I would make sure its the original art cover because I have the alternate cover. I like both, but I'd much rather prefer the original. // 10

Iowa Reviewed by: sykest70, on november 02, 2011

Sound: There really isn't anything different in "Iowa 10th Anniversary Edition" from the original "Iowa", so I will be rating the actual original album itself. From "(515)" where Sid screams his lungs out to the daunting mammoth that creeps up on you known as Iowa, this album is hatred, calamity, chaos, malice, and sickness in the form of audio. All songs have been remastered, but that's it. Don't get me wrong, Slipknot's gotten me through middle and high school, but that's really a sum up of the album. Iowa is the darkest Slipknot record to date, and this album shows it. The album also includes a bonus track: "My Plague (New Abuse Remix)". The second CD, is an audio rip from their 2002 DVD "Disaterpieces". I wanted something a little bit more rare and deep within the Iowa Era like they did with "Live 9.0". // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are in one word - disgusting; but in a good way. "Contagion-Sitting on the side of Satan" - "People=Shit" "I wanna slit your throat and f--k the wound" - "Disasterpiece" "Your impossible ego f--k is like a megalomaniacal tab on my tongue" - "My Plague" "Fix my problems with the blade" - "Everything Ends" "I'm a pop star threat and I'm not dead yet" - "Heretic Anthem" "All my friends have pictures made to make you cry" - "Left Behind" "One less propaganda nightmare fixture" - "The Shape" "I'm fat and I'm ugly and proud, so f--k you" - "I Am Hated" "Cancer and people conspire together" - "Skin Ticket" "Fields of dejected morbid progeny" - "New Abortion" "I wanna dress in your insecurities" - "Metabolic" "I fill your mouth with dirt" - "Iowa" // 10

Overall Impression: This also comes with a DVD, which shows a day in the life of Slipknot. 60% live show footage and 40% behind the scene footage. Overall, a closure on the mystery of what is known as the "Iowa" era. A sick, disgusting, cold, heartless, time in Slipknot's career. I feel as if "Iowa"'s story has been told. // 9

More Slipknot reviews rating latest review
+ Slipknot 8.7 05/28/2012