Slipknot Review

slipknot: Slipknot
Released: Jun 29, 1999
Genre: Nu-Metal
Label: Roadrunner
"Slipknot" is the debut studio album by American metal band Slipknot.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 8.7
 9.1
 8.3
Slipknot Reviewed by: havok666, on april 12, 2004

Sound: This album reigns over anything else released at the time. Ross Robinson was a genius the, and he's a genius now. Joey did a really good job on "Spit It Out". In some songs, the band incorporated rap style vocals (Spit It Out, Only One, middle of Liberate) to please Shawn, who grew up on hip-hop. They did really well in terms of this. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics on this album, as well as the singing. Corey has an amazing voice, whether he's screaming his lungs out or whispering in the background of the music. I was pretty disappointed when I found out that Corey only wrote "Prosthetics", "Liberate", and "Eyeless". Apparently Joey, Mick and Paul write most of their songs. Joey wrote the highly underrated masterpiece "Scissors", one of my favorite songs, along with "Prosthetics" and "Surfacing". Not many people know that "Eyeless" was written a few years before Slipknot even got together. It started out as a poem about Corey's dad, whom he never met. The lyrics all together make a great listen and blend in with the music really well. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd shocked me. I first heard Slipknot on the Resident Evil DVD, you know, the "My Plague" video. I fell in love with that song, but over time, I forgot about it. One day after school, a friend asked me to watch his Cd player while he was in basketball practice. I did, and after a few minutes, I decided to see what he'd been listening to. Inside the Cd player was Iowa, and I listened to it for an hour or so, but because I was also watching the practice I wasn't exactly listening to the songs. I was hearing them, but not listening. Then "My Plague" started, and I was overjoyed at having remembered it. I went out the next day to buy that cd, but at my local cd store, they were only carrying this CD. I had heard from some other friends that the Self-titled Cd blew Iowa out of the water, but I didn't believe them. Little did I know that by buying that cd that day, I was starting a new musical style for myself. At school, everybody knew me as the "sissyboy who likes Blink-182 and New Found Glory". After they heard me mumbling these lyrics as I walked through the school halls, I was known as the "poser". Now, they've calmed down a bit as they saw that I only got myself in deeper by falling in love with Killswitch Engage, Cradle of Filth, and Avenged Sevenfold. Feel happy for me, imbeciles! Since I'd never be dumb enough to lose this, if it got stolen I'd find whoever did it, beat them senseless, and get it back. (Little joke there) :) // 10

Slipknot Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 05, 2007

Sound: The sound of this album was not at all interesting. it's your average angry men jumping up and down in boiler suits. There is a serious lack of skill with the guitar, which is a great disappointment. Hearing all over that Joey is one beast at the drums, He really was not that great, and he has 2 other thrown in members of the band to back him up in percussion. Mick thomson constantly re-uses the first fret and open notes through out the entire album, making me believe that he is one overrated guitarist. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics to the songs are meaningless nonsense. They have no point and an angry 6 grader can write those kinds of lyrics. "enemy, show me what you wanna be, I can handle anything, even if I can't handle you". Who is going to take that seriously? These lyrics were written to appeal little boys. The singer Corey Taylor though has skill in vocals, and he really should be using his clean vocals and not those constant annoying yells. // 3

Overall Impression: Overall impression was a bunch of masked men who wear cheap suits and have a more dominating fanbase for kids then for grown adults. There were no impressive songs on the album at all, and I cannot believe most of my peers enjoy these artists. If this CD were stolen or lost, I definetely will not want to buy it again, and if I could, I would go back in time and make sure I never did buy it. // 1

Slipknot Reviewed by: (sic) Breed, on february 24, 2004

Sound: The style is relativly new when compared to many Nu-Metal bands, Slipknot take the Rap Metal thing to a new level with Black Metal Vocals, Drums and Guitars combined with a set of turntables. Slipknot have been ever changing since MFKR (Mate, Feed, Kill, Repeat) which was their first album but what I can closly compare them to is Slayer (like it or not metallers) Kerry King himself loves the band to pieces! // 10

Lyrics: Pure hate, aggression, despise at the world. The lyrics are clever and sheer bliss! Corey has some expert black metal style throating of words however he just doesnt compare to Max Caverlera of Soulfly or true black metal bands! // 10

Overall Impression: Of all my albums I love it to peices, I have all the albums including MFKR and no song is a let down, This album is a must for many but it is a required taste, you either love them or hate them. Lastly, Slipknot is not a satan worshiping band so do not listen to them If you are after abit of stuff like Manson however they are not for the light hearted and ill faithed! // 10

Slipknot Reviewed by: thezohan, on april 20, 2009

Sound: For me, the sound I like the best is raw, unedited, very heavy, and musical. Slipknot's first album totally fit the description, and it is my favorite album in my collection. Some music styles used on the self-titled CD include Death/Heavy metal(whatever you want to call it), Rock(Corey does sing), Thrash Metal, and Rap(Which is quite surprising). This album really had no flaws, because if you listen to the first song, it's hard to stop listening until the album is over. // 10

Lyrics: I think Corey is a good lyricist(did I spell that right? ) because he writes about things that have happened to him, and their very real lyrics. The only problem is, this album is Very explicit, 140 swear words(I counted) most of them being F*** and Sh**. His lyrics really fit well with the songs because they are angry and the music is very heart pounding. Corey is great at screaming, but when he needs to sing, he's very good at it. He's even good at rapping. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't compare it to any other artist but what I can say is that Slipknot is much heavier than most bands you will hear. There's nine people:Two guitarists, a singer, a bassist, 3 drummers, a DJ, and a sampling guy. Now here is each song and what I think of it. 01.724617000027: this is just an intro, not really a song, so it's hard to rate. You'll see what I mean by intro. It's a weird song. That number is the bar code on the album Slipknot released before they had Corey. 02.(sic): every maggot should know this song. It's very fast paced, and it's like the song that gets me pumped before like a baseball game. With a awesome riff with a wah pedal and the famous lyrics "You can't kill me cause I'm already inside you" you're guarenteed to like this song. 03.Eyeless: this song is beast, but the guitar intro might scare the crap outta you. The chorus, which is "You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes" is what Corey (or some other band member) heard some hobo screaming. Definately a memorable song. 04.Wait And Bleed: well, this is the famous song off the album, and you should know it from the chorus. Corey sings in this, and the guitars have more melodic riffs. My favorite part is the verse, with a very catchy guitar riff and skillful drumming. 05.Surfacing: wow. This song curses so much, but that's the best part! This should be like the Slipknot national anthem, and it's one of my favorite songs. The guitar lick at the beginning of the song is fast, and using some of the higher frets and is overall awesome. The chorus is the best part. Here it is "F*** it all, F*** this world, F*** everything that you stand for, Don't belong, Don't exist, Don't give a Sh*t Don't ever judge me!" 06.Spit It Out: this track is one of their singles, but it didn't stand out to me as much as other songs. Corey raps a lot in this song. I have to tell you, I absolutely hate rap, but when Corey does it, it's nothing but awesome. 07.Tattered And Torn: this is the weird song off the album, and for some reason, my friend's favorite.The creepy guitar riffs and Corey singing all weird will give you the chill. Beastly song. 08.Frail Limb Nusery And Purity: purity and it's short intro were taken off the album after like the first year becuse of legal reasons. This is how it goes:Corey went on some crime website and read a story about a girl who was put in a box and buried alive. He wrote a song about it called Purity because that was the girl's name. Now the author claimed that he made that story up and he threatened to sue Slipknot if they didn't take if off the album. This song is still available on Disastererpieces and 9.0 Live. I personally like this song best off the album. 09.Me Inside: a good replacement song for Purity, and it is probably the hardest to play(from a guitarists point of view). Some singing near the end was the part that really caught my attention. Overall great song. 10.Liberate: this songs got everything from rapping to screaming to insane drumming. This is one of the songs Corey wrote on this album. The raw sound of this song really rocks and sounds awesome. 11.Prosthetics: no doubt the most impressive song on the album. Let me name everything good on it. Singing, Screaming, sort of depressing guitar riff in the beginning, All drummers did great, some DJ, and the bassist had creepy riffs. rocking song. 12.No Life: my favorite song off the album. This demonstrates Corey's singing, screaming, and rapping skills all in one song. Cool bassline after the chorus. There's like a drum solo at the beginning of the song not to mention a spectacular guitar riff for the chorus. Best Song. 13.Diluted: this shows the weirder side of Slipknot, which I like. Very basic song on the guitar part and there is like a short solo with harmonics which you will probably not realize. Only stuff to say here is be prepared for the weirdness. 14.Only One: this song really shows off Corey's rapping skills. This song was taken off the album when they had Anders as singer and redone so it was faster, and in my opinion, way better. It's like the only song out there that stops all other instruments and there is a drum solo. Oh yeah, during the rapping part, there is a smoking bass line. 15.Scissors: a long epic, weird song with a part where there is just feedback, and near the end, Corey just improvises with the lyrics. This song is definetely a great way to end an album, since it's the last song, but there's still another song... 16.Eeyore: Scissors is 20 or so minutes long, but the song only goes out for about 8 minutes. Then the is blank silence for about 7 more minutes. Then Slipknot watching some movie and you hear them commenting on it. Finally, after that, the talking gets interrupted by this song. This is the most fast-paced, raw, heavy song on the album. It's like a secret track, because it's still on track 14 with Scissors. I love everything about this album, and the only thing I hate is that Purity was taken off of it. If it were stolen I would kill the guy who stole it, if it were lost, I would buy a new one // 10

Slipknot Reviewed by: aaronmcm99, on may 28, 2012

Sound: Slipknot are a nine piece death metal band, comprised of 2 percussionist, drummer, bassists, guitarists, and vocalists, but this album has a sound to it most metal bands can't get, because rather than just shouting and heavy guitars, it has an innovation to it, best shown with "Wait And Bleed". // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics don't particularly try to get a specific point across but it is really interesting to listen to what Corey Taylor, with his brilliant singing voice sings very passionately, the man is clearly enjoying himself, like all singers should. // 9

Overall Impression: Its my favorite album of its kind, in my top 5 albums, along with "Toxicity", "Lest We Forget", "Appetite For Destruction" and "Nevermind". My favorite song being "Wait And Bleed", so if you like metal and haven't bought this, you owe it to yourself to buy it. // 9

Slipknot Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2003

Sound: The style of Slipknot isn't usually something somebody would want ot listen to, but I felt this album Slipknot came out with was awsome. Corey Taylor showed fans that in this record he could sing heavy metal music, and do it very well. I think this was a trial run for Corey Taylor to see if he had wat it took to be able to handle how hard core Slipknot wanted to be and he polled away nicely! // 10

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were prittey self explannatory. He wrote wat he wanted to write and did on hell of a good job of it. I thought the music fit very well with the guitar, bass, and drums. He sang at the rate that all the instruments were playing so that is pritty good tallent. He can also use his voice in ways most other singers wouldn't be able to. // 10

Overall Impression: I thought this album was my favorite album I have ever bought. When I bought the album nowing nothing about Slipknot. Then after listening to it I fell in love with thier music. Their were excellent songs on the album like Wait and Bleed, Spit it Out, and my personal favorite Only One. The thingi love about this album is Slipknot disided to put a "secret" song on it that was very cool. The music never got any lighter then from when it started. The thing I hated about this album was that their wasn't any guitar solo's but that didn't matter to much. I would buy this album lots mre if I lost it or something that is how much I love it. I would tell you people that like hard core metal to buy this record if they don't already have! // 8

Slipknot Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 04, 2005

Sound: Slipknot has a sound all of there own. Each member outs something great into the band. It's a very heavy cd that is up there with slayer. The band uses the metal stuff combined with effects and blues riffs over hard distortion. The front cover was created in clown's (Shawn) grandmother's garage. Also three days after they started touring for this album, Jim Root changed masks to the jester mask. This is such a hard album. My band does a few covers from it but we can never rock it as hard as they do. Amazing CD! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. Cory Taylor has a ttue talent when it comes to writing lyrics. Not to mention the fact the he has the most horrifying scream I have ever heard in my life. He can go from singing meloticlly to screaming his little 5'1" heart out. His ideas for words are so amazing. In the song eyeless, he was walking into the recording thinking of what to put in that song and then he heard a bum say 'You can't see california without Marlen Brando's eyes'. Then that was the main line for that song. Shawn and Chris do amazing backups too. Great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a no comparison album. Nothing that I have had can compare to its forocity. It just blows people way. I mean, I've playing guitar for 15 years and I'm no where near as good as Jim Root or Mick Thompson. Joey kicks ass on the drums as does shawn and chris. Paul does a f--king amazing job on the bass. Sid is sick on the turntables and 133 does a good job of filling in the holes. Amazing band, check them out! // 10

Slipknot Reviewed by: Flashback4, on october 01, 2005

Sound: The first track is 7426100007. Weird isn't it. But like all the Slipknot albums it starts off with a little intro. Iowa has the first track as (515). Vol. 3 The Subliminal Verses has the first track as Prelude 3.0 so all of them are intros to the album. This album is a wicked album, because it is by Slipknot and it just has basically great songs. Like guitar riffs and great drum fills. This album includes the classics, Wait And Bleed, Spit It Out, Surfacing, SIC and Liberate. // 9

Lyrics: This CD is explicit of course. Most of there songs in this album start of with a guitar riff then it comes in with the drums then the singing. I actually was litening to this album for about a month non-stop! Corey puts together some good lyrics in most songs. The very last song is 20 minutes long! Well the songs goes on for about 5 minutes then it stops for 10 then comes back on as a hidden track. In the hidden track you can hear them talkin' and stuff. The last 2 mins it comes back to the song. // 10

Overall Impression: I have listened to Iowa, Slipknot and The Subliminal Verses. To be honest the best one is The Subliminal Verses, but then 2nd I would say is Slipknot. Overall It has good lyrics, good guitar riffs, and wicked drum beats. // 9

Slipknot Reviewed by: talirak, on january 09, 2006

Sound: On this album they are alot more violent it is some of the most hard intrumental that they can do it sounds great. For this album to the guitar they came out with a great performance and Joey is trully impressive with his 2 bass drums. // 10

Lyrics: Tracks such as "Left Behind" demonstrate Corey singing talents, while other cuts further reveal his ability to nail thunderous screams in succession. Although it was not originally written as material for Iowa, "Gently" is an excellent addition to the CD. This second time song may come from Slipknot's early days, but the lyrics fit perfectly in this masterpiece. // 10

Overall Impression: Everyone thought that slipknot couldnt do better then there self titled album but somehow they found a hole and sliped in it because it is as good or more. One of the most impressive song that I think is Skin ticket from the lyrics and left behind and gently are great too. I love the hate that we can feel in the album the violence that it contains, and seriously there isnothing that isnt good on this album. So if I get stolen this album I'd go buy another one even if I have only 1 hand left and I would have to walk on my haed. // 10

Slipknot Reviewed by: reverseblade101, on february 16, 2006

Sound: There are so many genres of music these days, and Slipknot seems to fit into alot. I've seen them put in the catagory of metal, heavy metal, rock, grindcore, rapcore, and even classic rock for some reason. No matter what genre they fit in, they have a really unique and cool sound to them. This album is a heavy blend of powerchords with some melodic parts. All in all, good heavy sound with a mix of fast and slow singing. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics overall are pretty cool too. In the song wait and bleed, the opening starts off as, 'I felt the hate rise up in me, kneel down and clear the stone of leaces, I wander out where you cant see, inside my shell I wait and bleed'. This refers to a dream that Corey (the singer) had when he was high one day. He dreamed that he was in a bathtub bleeding from his wrists and slowely dying. // 8

Overall Impression: Slipknot is a very cool band with a nice heavy sound with very unique singing and guitar. This was my first metal CD I ever owned and it is still a favorite of mine. // 9

Slipknot Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on february 27, 2006

Sound: Slipknot's second album puts the tyrntables to the test, especially in 742617000027, which is all turntables. With their usual griding heavy metal sound, they established a following amongst metal-heads. Although one heavy metal band sounds like the next with the over-the-top screaming and screaming guitars and sick drum solos, Slipknot stands out. The 9 people are used to their full potiental. 2 guitarists set the stage for a vicious sound, 1 bassist gives it a deep snarling sound, 3 drummers and 2 turntables set a background and Corey gives it all a voice. // 10

Lyrics: This may be their most foul-mouthed album, but they use swearing to their advantage. They make it sound natural, sorta like the way Ted Willams used to swear. Though loaded with "F--k you!"'s and not for young audiences, it still gives it a voice, like I said. And you can understand it, a plus. // 9

Overall Impression: Slipknot may seem like every other cookie-cutter nu-metal band, but true fans will differ. You can always pick out the real band from the wannabe's. // 9

Slipknot Reviewed by: mfkr, on march 31, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is fresh, new and explosive. I ended up getting this (the [clean] version) last year after hearing lots of different Slipknot tracks, and I found it awsome. They combine so many new and different sound, for instance "Prosthetics" (track 10) uses alot of sounds in the background etc. that make the song really great. Coreys voice sounds great and it reallys works with this album. Jim, Mick and Paul have done great on the guitars and bass and the drumming from Joey is awsome, with help from Shawn and Chris on percussion. The Dj-ing from Sid On Eyeless and other tracks are amazing and Craig did some great Sampling. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, really meaningful and they give alot of feeling. The song "Purity" was on the original album and that song is amazing, alot of feeling from Corey and the rest of the band. Corey can really sing as we can see on Wait and Bleed etc. But he can also bring fast lyrics, such as in Spit It Out and his always brilliant screams. The lyrics give you something to think about but also they are just something great to listen to. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably my favourite album from Slipknot seeing as it brings the fresh new Slipknot from '99 out of your speakers. I like all of the songs but some that are probably the best are (Sic), Eyeless, Surfacing, Me Inside, Eeyore, Wait And Bleed and Spit It Out. I love this album for it's great lyrics, sound and just the overall feeling from the whole album. // 10

Slipknot Reviewed by: thejosh, on april 18, 2006

Sound: I dont think I've ever heard anything quite like Slipknot. This band manages to mix the best of metal with screaming, angry, screaming vocals, blast beat drums, heavy guitars, and turntables? That's right, Slipknot not only shows its extremely heavy metal influences, but it's rap influences. Many of the verses of their songs on this album have verses that are rapped and screamed. In the last ten years, I don't think the music industry has heard any thing quite like Slipknot. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are near incomprehensible when the singer screams, but don't take that as a lack of talent, not at all. The lyrics convey an incredible sense of anger which blend perfectly with the heavy guitar parts and the drums. The singer not only can scream very well, but also has a very nice singing voice and can suprisingly rap quite well on several verses throughout the album. // 9

Overall Impression: I think nothing can quite compare to the uniquness of Slipknot. They manage to blend the best elements of metal and rap into one masterpiece album that every fan of heavy, headbanging music should listen to. The most impressive sons from this album are in my opinion, Liberate, Diluted, No Life, and Eyeless. That's not to say that the others arent good though. The songs Prosthetics and Surfacing definatly need to be checked out. I think that if this album were stolen from me, I would buy two more copies so that if one gets stolen again I'll have another. // 10

Slipknot Reviewed by: MetaltilIm60, on may 29, 2006

Sound: This was actually the second Slipknot album that I heard and looking back it is an in-between album. It is halfway in-between the hodge-podge strangeness of M.F.K.R and the insane mosh-worthyness of Iowa. They are finding themselves on this record and as such their are some experimental things on here. They also use some samples (intro, (sic) etc.) Not quite as heavy as Iowa but a must-buy for any maggot or simply anyone who loves pure friggin' metal. // 10

Lyrics: Corey (#8) is one of the best metal singers ever. He can scream and rant and is still pretty easy to understand. He also shows some versatility on this record. He sings a lot more than he did on Iowa. The lyrics are standard deathmetal anger everone's gonna die stuff but Corey gives the words meaning with his pure metal voice. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, this is an in-between album. It is not as heavy as Iowa but definately heavier than M.F.K.R. and heavier (though not by as much) as Vol. 3. I love how they can effortlessly swtich gears from mosh to gentle and creepy. Definately and excellant album, in fact when it came out it was Roadrunner's best selling record. I am allready on my second copy of this record because I listen to it so much and yes, if something where to happen I would buy yet another copy. // 10

Slipknot Reviewed by: Dancing Fool, on september 25, 2006

Sound: Released in 1999, this is SlipKnot's second disc, and it represents SlipKnot at their angriest. Thier rawest CD to date, it was the loudest, rudest, ugliest, and most importantly, heavy (or angry, depending on how you look at it) nu-metal CD to be released. It combined loud, distortion-ridden down-tuned guitar and the use of sampling and turntables, and the masterwork that is Joey's drumming to create an angry anthem for people all over the world to listen to. Starting with a intro courtesy of the DJ-ing, it falls right into place with the fast-paced (Sic), and ending with a 19-minute spectacle, it is laced with Mick and James' fretwork, creating a forefront for the 6 other musicians (not counting Corey), and a dirty soundscape for Corey. The use of quirky bends and mean powerchords gives this a dark, forbidding feeling. For having 9 guys on stage and in the studio, they are able toplay very well together. Musically, however, this falls behind when placed up against Iowa and Subliminal Verses. And it should, showing that they are improving. But this could be better, like including more creative and original songs (as the songs all sound alike, save Wait And Bleed). // 8

Lyrics: Corey is truley a very talented vocalist. He combines the raw anger and energy of a metal vocalist, and the style and speed of a rapper. However, for those who have heard Stone Sour or Subliminal Verses, his singing voice is much more better, and might have contributed better to this CD. But the majority of this part of the review should be given to the lyrics themselves, and the lyrical content. For one, Corey has an amazing ability to write lyrics, even on this disc, considering that they ar emostly screamed into a mic. They have catchy chorus', and are overall well-written. There is even a poem written by Corey's father among the songs. There is also a lot of language cleverly placed in the CD, and is not for the timid. // 8

Overall Impression: Slipknot is definatlet one of the most unique nu-metal bands. They represent some of the heavyest nu-metal around, like I stated. And they have left a lasting bruise on modern metal as well. Overall, the CD is a mix of metal and rap. Each song is more anger-ridden and faster than the next. The whole band blends in together, considering that there are 3 drummers, and 2 DJs. Slipknot will be around for a long time, and will, if not already, be wearing the crown of nu-metal gods. // 8

Slipknot Reviewed by: beans45344, on july 24, 2007

Sound: In this albun there are many sound effects that make the songs in the albums sound voluminous. All in all slipkont has a great sound on CD but in concert the songs on this album are indisposed. The guitarists for slipknot are great when they are mixed in with Joey but this band does notgive their guitarists enough credit, they barely ever get a half decent solo in this album and when they do it is hardly even noticable. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics themself acutally in my opinion are lacking intendment, but they mix in on the music itself perfectly and Cory is an insane singer. Even though the lyrics in this album don't make any sense at all they, in there own little way, explain a story. The lyrics contain many large words instead of saying basic words, and for the type of music that they play there is hardly any cussing in it at all. // 9

Overall Impression: Slipknot overall is golden compared to a lot of heavy metal bands. The most stupefying thing about this album simply has to be the sound affects that they use. I love the way they sound on CD but this album souds a little lacky in concert. A yes I would totally buy this album an infinate amount of times. Like I said The lyrics could use some work but the sound of them will always make my heart cringe. // 9

Slipknot Reviewed by: Page/Rhoads, on december 12, 2007

Sound: This is one of the most intesnse metal albums out there. Slipknot shows why they are a great metal band who deserves respect. It is very heavy and is great for anyone who's mad at the world. You can't listen to any of the songs on here without getting mad. It just doesn't work that way. The band sounds great, but this album doesn't show great talent. But it will still make your ears bleed! Don't buy this looking for easy listening or soft rock. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. Well, what you can understand of them. The album contains a lot of screaming. Not emo screaming, metal screaming. Corey Taylor shows the abilities he has with his voice. He sounds completely different on some songs than he does on others. But these lyrics are not made for great understanding. These lyrics were writen to make you mad. Sometimes, you just don't want to understand. // 9

Overall Impression: This may very well be my favorite Slipknot album. It is the heaviest and will not disapoint any metal fans. The best songs would be, Wait And Bleed, Spit It Out, Surfacing, and Purity. The rest is great too. I love how the album makes you hate. If you ever have one of those days, you know, just go out and buy this album. Listen to it. When you finish listening, you will feel much better. If it were stolen, I'd be very mad and so would the guy who stole it and started to listen to it! // 9

Slipknot Reviewed by: Guynametyler, on june 24, 2010

Sound: Slipknot has a relentless sound of anger and rage. This is one of the greatest heavy metal cd's of the past 20 years, and possibly the best Nu-Metal Album of all time. The style from the first song down to the last minute is just insane. Corey is just blowing you away with his vocal skills and both the guitarist are just shredding non-stop. Sid is just going to town on his turntable and just making the music all it's own. Clown and Joey are doing there things with percussions. Paul is laying down his intense bass lines. // 10

Lyrics: This album is the essence of what is heavy metal, the lyrics are straight forward hate and anger. Corey's song writing ability is great and not to mention how the lyrics fit into ever song. The power of the lyrics fit just along with the power of the instruments. Corey is one of the single greatest musicians of all time. From his aggressive, powerful vocals to his passionate singing in vermillion pt2 and his other acoustic songs. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best Slipknot album and compared to Metal bands at the time they were the kings. They helped ignite the love for metal after a grunge dominated early 90's. I love everything about this cd, it is a great Metal album and sets the standard for nu-metal. The only thing I hate about this album is that it isn't 50 songs longer. If this were stolen I would buy 2 more so if it ever happened again I wouldn't have to wait to get it again. But luckily for me the computer makes keeping this music safe. // 10

Slipknot Reviewed by: boyan89, on december 20, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is absolutely mindblowing. The guitars on this album are amazing and Mick and Jim do such a good job that they don't even need solos but they couldnt have solos because I think someone didn't want to do solos in their label but it's still pretty awesome. The drums on this album, that was a really big part on the album, the drums are just f--king astonishing and Joey is an amazing drummer and he can pull off just about anything when he has 2 backing percussion buddies backing him up song by song and those 2 buddies would have too be Chris and Shawn. The bass is on this album is just pure art and in songs like Sic and Prosthetics have such good bass lines and Paul just amazes me when he plays it. The keyboards on this album are pretty cool and the samples are pretty good too. All the other instruments appealed too me 2 and the DJ is awesome at the turntables. So yah just mindblowing sounds. // 10

Lyrics: Corey Taylor is awesome when it comes down to writing lyrics. Most of the songs on this album are about politics, hate, misery and basically just about beating the living shit out of people and against the world (Surfacing). On this album Corey Taylor didn't write down most of the lyrics but he is still awesome when it comes down to writing down and I was pretty disappointed when I found that out because he can write such amazing lyrics (as on Iowa or Vol.3 The Subliminal Verses). But on the other hand the other people from the band wrote amazing lyrics for this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other albums because it just cant, Slipknot have their own combination of metal sound. I don't have any favourite songs because all of them are unique in their own special way. I don't have any favourite songs on this album but 5 of them really appealed to me and they are Sic, Surfacing, Wait And Bleed, Spit It Out, and Liberate because the lyrics are meaningful and have a really good massage in them and the instruments are very well done especially Surfacing (the guitar kicks ass in that song). I love everything about this album from start to end it amazed me all the way through and I hate nothing about it because this is a metal masterpiece right here. If it were lost/stolen hells yah I'm buying because Slipknot are one of my favourite bands right now and they're music helps me out a lot but on the other hand I'm barely depressed but this album cheers me up when I am. So if your a fan of Slipknot you are not a true maggot until you get this album so get off your asses, calling all metalheads and put your fists in the air for Slipknot! So yah just get this album! // 10

Slipknot Reviewed by: execution_666, on june 04, 2008

Sound: This is, to me, the best Slipknot album. I love the sound it gives off. The members themselves said that is the period where they were pissed off the most. You can hear the intense emotion through all the sound. When I hear this CD I think "This is the REAL Slipknot". I am a hardcore Slipknot fan and I love all their albums. But this one takes the jackpot! Some people say they Slipknot "except for one song". Chances are that "one song" is on this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are simply amazing. Corey Taylor really worked hard to get the voice of Slipknot perfect and it's significant. Every song has it's own little story and it's told by Corey, sometimes with just a few words. (I.e. Scissors). Taylor does everything from shout and scream to melodic vocals and rapping. The creativity used is broad. // 10

Overall Impression: I love every song on the album. Not once have I had to skip a track. Each one brings back memories. This is the ONLY ambum that I will listen to all the way through and not get sick of it. There are nine members in Slipknot and each of them do thier part perfectly to achieve the sound of Slipknot and make it into a masterpiece. If it were lost I'd cry for about an hour then look for it. If it were stolen I'd cry for about an hour and ten min then go kick the thief in the knee. // 10

Slipknot Reviewed by: jake-slipknot, on june 02, 2010

Sound: This is the original slipknot sound and also when Corey's voice was at its best, so this album is definitely worth listening to. This album is much more harder than their 2008 album 'all hope is gone' because of their anger in and aggressiveness that they put into 'slipknot'. Also in this album they use a lot more of of the turntables and the samples this adds to the variety in the songs but not used as much (if not any) in 'all hope is gone'. In my opinion this is the secound best slipknot album (first being 'Iowa'). // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics in this album is that they are amazing. In the song 'spit it out' Corey half raps the lyrics and half shouts them, this gives a really good affect to how the song comes together. Back when this album was made Corey Taylor had the best voice live and recording but when vol. 3 subliminal verses came out his singing changed (in my eyes) to being slightly softer but still aggressive, I do much prefer the older music. If you are going to listen to any slipknot I advise listening to slipknots self titled album (the one I'm reviewing) and Iowa, these two albums are the best. // 9

Overall Impression: Slipknot out stand any other metal band out there because they use a whole range of instruments and just make awesome music. The most impressive songs on the album are spit it out, wait and bleed, sic and eyeless, these tracks are the ones I could listen to and not get bored of easily. The only thing that I hate about this album is that it doesn't have purity on but thats not a big deal because if you buy the 10th anniversary album then this will have it on. If I lost this album I would go and by the 10th anniversary album because its got more tracks on including those of the original. The bottom line is BUY THIS CD stay (sic) // 10

More Slipknot reviews rating latest review
+ Iowa 9.1 11/02/2011