Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Review

slipknot: Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses
Released: May 25, 2004
Genre: Alternative Metal
Label: Roadrunner
It doesn't feel like Slipknot's final statement. It's a satisfying, carefully crafted representation of their career to date.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 8.8
 9.2
 8.4
Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: Mikethepooper, on may 09, 2005

Sound: I love the way they got all the heavy metal sound goin then all of a sudden they go to acoustic stuff. I hate it when people say they don't like Slipknot because all they do is scream. The actually do really food soft shit too. My favorite thing is the Vermilion and the Vermilion Pt 2 thing. It goes from being really angry yet thinkin' this girl is awesome in Vermilion and goes to being kinda sad and regretful about it. // 10

Lyrics: It was kinda weird cause the day I bought it, I was about to ask his girl out that I really, really like still, and as I'm walkin over, I heard that like 30 seconds ago she was asked out and said yes by someone a gradeyounger than us. So I was like really mad and s--t and then I got kinda regretful and sad. Then I bought the album and looked at the lyrics for Vermilion and Vermillion Pt 2 and was like. It's a prophacy or something (but she still likes me alot so score when they break up which will happen no doubt). But otherwise Corey does some kickass s--t in there. // 10

Overall Impression: This album kicks ass more than any album except for the best of Guns N' Roses. Here are the tracks and my ratings: 01. Prelude 3 0 - 8/10 just because it's not much at all. 02. The Blister Exixts - 10/10 that's a no brainer. 03. Three Nil - 9/10 the begining is awesome. 04. Duality - 10/10 this is some major kickass metal. 05. Opium Of The People - 9/10 opium is good. 06. Circle - 10/10 dude, Corey sound like some Warped Tour guy singing to acoustic which for some werid reason rocks hard. 07. Welcome - 9/10 no comment. 08. vermilion - 10/10 I still can go on with this. The best part is right before the first "I won't let this build up inside of me. 09. Pulse Of The Maggots - 10/10 the best goddamn song on the goddamn CD. 10. Before I Forget - 10/10 the awesome begining and the awesome fade from heavy metal to soft metal kicks ass. 11. Vermilion Pt. 2 - 10/10 I can't go on with this one. 12. The Nameless - these last three all get 10/10 cause they rock and ther as weird as hell. 13. Virus Of The People. 14. Danger Keep Away. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2005

Sound: There's not another band on the face of this earth that sounds like Slipknot. They bring the best of heavy, death, goth and nu-metal all into one little convenient package with this CD. On this CD there are 10 heavy songs that all have things to set them apart. "The Blister Exists" has a couple of drum solos in it. Yes I said drum solos. Joey just goes off on his double bass a couple of times in "Three Nil." "Duality" and it's Rap-Metal vibe is anthemic. "Opium Of The People" is the best song on the CD hands down. It's an eery shred fest w/ an awesome chorus. "The Nameless" has a eery vibe to start and then it brightens up to a sweeping, very melodic chorus. This is continued throughout the entire album. I'm telling you, every freakin song is different and unique. The slower songs Prelude 3.0, Circle, Vermillion Pt.2 and Danger-Keep Away give an excellent change of pace to the record that allows the listener to catch his/her breath before they start back to their sonic bombardment. // 10

Lyrics: Not as angst-ridden as the previous efforts, which in my book is a good thing. It makes the album easier to listen to. Corey Taylor is an excellent vocalist with an amazing set of pipes. He can sing very melodicly and then in the next second bust your ear drums with a gravel throated howl. You really can't tell which was written 1st. The lyrics or the music and that's because they fit so well together. This just makes the CD all the more amazing because there is a wider variety. // 10

Overall Impression: IDK how it compares to their debut or Iowa. All I will say is that the few songs I have heard off those albums are the best ones and they really don't hold a candle to Vol 3. Slipknot loosened up on this one and they seemed to have more fun with this record. They aren't so concerned with hate this go 'round. They matured and it shows in the music. Best songs: Opium Of The People, Duality, Pulse Of The Maggots, The Nameless. People: the whole thing is amazing! Buy it now! if someone stole it, I'd hire a hitman to take out his punkass. I would buy it again without a second thought if it were lost or stolen. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: PyroJesus, on november 25, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is, if anything, much mellower than Iowa and the S/T album. The overall music is likeable if you got into it in the fashion I did. A friend at my school let me listen to his CD player at break, and he had a slipknot album on. I still can't remember which one. Anyway, I liked what I heard, so I bought the first CD I could find of theirs, and grabbed Vol. 3. Now, since I wasn't familiar with the previous efforts of theirs, I liked it. It was quite heavy, some aggressive yelling vocals, and the acoustic tracks gave it a nice easygoing intermission. However, after growing accustomed and bored as Corey screamed at one point and crooned gently at the next, I decided to move on to the earlier albums, and realised just how drastic the change was. Not only was the earlier stuff heavier, more raw, rougher and sharper like a rusty knife, I found I liked it more and began to wonder: why? It was like they had abandoned their essense and, well, think Metallica after "...And Justice For All". It felt like they'd become sellouts. The music on Vol. 3 was good, but it felt like they'd gone mainstream with weaker tones to appeal to weaker stomachs. Not my favourite album. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics were pretty good in comparison to the overall content. The aggression in The Blister Exsists reflected a glimmer of Old Slipknot, but the rest of it, despite its loss of appeal to me, can still be called good. Vermillion is a great display of pent-up angst and anger, but I wasn't very happy with Circle and Vermillion pt. 2. I guess it's just personal opinion, but the acoustic stuff with corey taylor's voice was kinda corny. Bringing image into the Lyrics section isnt exactly smart, but imagine this: Corey's zombie-like leather facemask churning out gentle tunes, Mick's metallic mask and James's jesterface on the profiles of two metal gods playing melodic notes on an acoustic. It just doesnt't seem to fit. That aside however, the lyrics were pretty decent. They made me want to try the rest of their music, unlike Korn's "Issues" which made me just want to listen to that album til rapture. Still, that's for another review. Lyrics- Good if you want to break in gently to the Slipknot scene. // 7

Overall Impression: I think Slipknot, overall, let themselves down with this album. Even though it was the first one I liked, it pales in comparison to the behemoth of the S/T album and the demon of Iowa. I maintain that this album seems entirely like an effort to get some airplay and rustle up a fanbase. At the time when this album was all I had heard, Duality was my non-stop track, played day and night driving my parents insane. Pulse of the Maggots followed, and vermillion came hand in hand with it. I had to vault the heaps of crap in my room to hit the "Next" button when Circle came on, but other than that, it was fine. If the album was lost, in all honesty, I would either: not notice and live my life as I do every day now; scream "joyous day!" out of my bedroom window throwing confetti on next door's lawn; go "meh." and go and get some food. I truly wouldn't care. Despite what I may have said to compliment it, I wouldn't look at this album twice had I heard the other 2 albums beforehand. Only seriously consider this album if you think you can't handle jumping in at the deep end of the bloodbath, S/T. A waste of your time if you have heard the others. // 5

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: Xerothunder, on november 29, 2004

Sound: First of all, I'd like to say that I've never listened to an entire Slipknot album before. I got hooked on the song "Wait And Bleed", and I've downloaded a few other songs like "Everything Ends" and "Left behind". I heard about this CD coming out, and I decided to check out the single, "Duality". I fell in love with the song, although in terms of Slipknot sound, it wasn't what I remembered it to be so I investigated, and heard of "Circle". I loved this song too, but I couldn't find any others. The CD was released, and I was never interested in buying it, until I saw the video for "Vermillion". I loved this song too, so I took a shot. Totally blew me away a creepy intro song, followed by crazy-ass heavy riffs. All the way through to Circle, a great acoustic song. Vermillion is a great single, but Part II blew me away. I love the acoustic songs on this album, I now have respect for this band they truly are talented. // 10

Lyrics: I always knew about Corey Taylor, and from the moment I heard "Wait And Bleed", I wondered why he didn't sing more. Taylor has an incredibly versitile voice. I used to think Chester Bennington was talented, but his voice is a little bit synthesized. Taylor can do it all, and do it without altering anything. He screams, growls, talks, and when it gets down to it, the man can sing. By far, my new favourite singer. He also manages to write everything beautifully, and this time he covers a few different topics. Great lyrics, great singer. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is probably the only Slipknot album I would buy, mainly because I know it's different. There is something for everyone here. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 21, 2005

Sound: I've always been a fan of Slipknot for their sheer energy and sincere ass kicking, but when I got this CD I realized how talented they really are. A lot of people will be stunned and hopefully a lot of people will stop hating this band as they too will hear how undeniably gifted this band really is. The sound of this CD is adrenaline as usual but really have branched out and created very diverse songs. A couple of them are acoustic and many contain guitar solos. A refreshing change for this band and I continue to beleive that Joey Jordinson (drummer) is the best in the bizz. // 10

Lyrics: Now to Corey Taylor - genius. Like his music or not you have to admitt that he can write the most mind bogglingly beautiful and strange lyrics. And to many suprises, he can actually sing as well. I think his screams and growls etc sound very good compared to others, then when he really sings I understand that he is better than probably any vocalist I have ever heard. The emotion in his voice is very sincere and can really have you taken back. The lyrics to this and all their albums gets an easy 5 star. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, very good album, they not taken steps to making themselves better musicians, they have taken giant leaps. I think everyone should give it a chance and I think you will find that this band is very talented and ranks among the top in heavy metal music. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: SLIP(SIC)KNOT, on january 09, 2006

Sound: First, I'd like to say that Slipknot is definately not for everyone, and it is an acquired like, so everyone who doesn't like them, stop persecuting all us maggots. Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses opens with "Prelude 3.0" a slow riff with powerful chords and an eerie high guitar part in the chorus. near the end of the song, it suddenly becomes heavy with corey screaming "NO!!" over and over and the guitar eventually slides right into the next track, "The Blister Exists." this is one of the heaviest songs on the CD. I give this song a 4/5. I really like how slipknot sounds when they play this. everyones part all sounds great with each other. and corey really demonstrates his singing skills here. The Blister Exists opens with a heavily distorted guitar riff repeated alot until corey comes in with his screaming and then it only gets heavier. after the second verse, corey actually comes out with something rather melodic in the chorus, which immediately leads into the well known snare solo. after the snare has had its moment in the sun, the guitars come back in with high distortion and a lot of feedback, as mick plays an eerie backround riff. they enter the chorus twice more, and then the snare solo comes back in, and eventually ends the song. I give this song 5/5. This is the part of slipknot I like most. the crazy, uncontained screams and guitars. Three Nil is a strange song to be honest, I wasn't too impressed with it. It goes back and forth between corey semi-screaming, and all out screaming, with the same guitar riff being slightly varied in the bacround. the drum part did however impress me, as it always does, all in all, good guitar work, and good individual work, but I didnt like how it was put together. Duality is a great song! This is the more melodic side of slipknot. to be compared with the earlier "Wait And Bleed" Corey does a lot of singing in this song. and the guitars are awesome! this song is full of pinch harmonics and tremelo picking, and crazy cool riffs. the lyrics are very powerful too. its about "duality" or being stuck at the crossroads of life and not knowing what to do, and having to pick between one thing and another. Opium of the people is track 5. It opens with mick playing a high trilling riff, sort of like "surfacing" it soon after becomes heavy, adn corey does his thing. a lot of the song is just that same trilling, and heavy rythym but corey does sing a very melodic chorus. Personally, I would give this 4/5. Circle is the next one. As it opens, the sounds kind of reminds you of the opening in "Me Inside" that kind of shuffling sound. hard to describe, but instead of going into a really heavy beat, it slowly evolves into a very well put together acoustic song. corey's singing is great, and the song ends in a cool drum/mixing solo. Track 7 is "Welcome." Not many people really like this song, but I actually really do like it. It is a really heavy song, and about 16 seconds or so into it, Corey pulls of a really impressive almost "inhuman" sounding intro roar. This song has great riffs, and an amazing solo. Track 8 is the well known Vermilion. It begins with an eerie sample from Craig, imediately followed by the guitars playing the same riff. Corey begins to mutter, adn meanwhile, the same eerie music is playing. about half way through, the guitar solo comes in with screaming chords, adn just all around good playing, and then corey comes in with the chorus, and then it starts to fade away with corey screaming "She isn't real! I can't make her real!" Pulse Of The Maggots is probably my favorite song on this album. It opens with another sample from craig, sort of a siren sounding thing. Then coreys yelling comes in, and then the guitars with a cool low to high bendy riff, and some crowd cheer sound effects. with powerful lyrics, and an awesome guitar solo in the middle, this song can't be beat. Before I Forget starts with a very repetitive riff (if you've ever heard the song "Carve" on the 1997 demo tape, you'll recognize this riff). And then the singing comes in. and yes, I mean singing. This song has a great chorus that will definately catch your attention, and a pretty cool bridge. The song ends with the chorus over and over again, and then song weird indistinguishable morse code sounding thingy ending. Vermilion Pt. 2 is the big hit, acoustic ending to Vermilion. Personally, I like this one more than Vermilion pt. 1. Again, corey really shows how well he can sing in this song. All the parts in this song cooperate perfectly with each other. Everything fits. I definatley recommend this one to you slipknot haters, and slipknot lovers alike! The Nameless is another really heavy, screamy song that is just total chaos with an acoustic chorus, but slipknot managed to pull it off and make it sound great. The Virus Of Life is so goood! But it's beyond creepy, whenever I'm depressed out of my mind, this song helps me. It's so weird though. It has a weird like buzzing sound with a strange ride-cymbal part for joey, and this is one of the songs that oyu can actually here the bass part. Corey mutters throughout the entire song, and it makes you pretty wary about whats going on around you... when you listen to it, your like wtf? But trust me, it's good. Danger-Keep Away is just plain retarded. I don't know why they even recorded this, 'cause it was just a stupid ending to an otherwise good album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics really fit the music. you could really feel the emotions in the music as well as the lyrics. Whenever there was a heavy song, generally the lyrics were pretty "heavy" as well. I mean they fit the context of the music. And the acoustic songs had pretty powerful lyrics, and the singing in the acoustic songs were just great. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to previous CDS from Slipknot, this was somewhat of a letdown, but dont get me wrong, I loved every moment of it, but I prefer Slipknots earlier, heavier stuff. Most immpresive songs on the album in order are: Pulse Of The Maggots, The Blister Exists, Before I Forget, Duality, Vermilion Pt. 2, Opium Of The People, The Nameless, The Virus Of Life. The others were great, but just didn't stand out as much to me. Slipknot is definatley my favorite band, and as far as I am conserned, no other band in the nu-metal genre can even compare with slipknots talent. This album is definately a keeper. If you're gonna try out Slipknot for the first time, this is the album to get. It's not too heavy, but its not too soft either. If you're a hardcore Slipknot maggot, go for Iowa, of Slipknot self-titled. // 8

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on february 20, 2006

Sound: Slipknot's music has always inspired and calmed me. This morning going to playoff basketball game, I was going to throw-up. I listened to Before I Forget, and it calmed me. Their drummers are just awesome, their guitars stand out from every other "heavy metal" band out there, and the lyrics wrap it all up. The title "Subliminal Verses" prodes you to read between the lines. I'm not lying, as I saw this from the interview with Yahoo! If you've ever wondered why they were their masks, here's your answer. Corey says it comes from the fact that one of the members would wear his mask whenever they would play Tattered&Torn. So the others decided to wear their's and it just started to grow. They are so gruesome because, as Corey puts it, it's the guy inside of them that has to endure every bit of pain and suffering. When they play, it's his turn to say what on his mind, which also probably explains the deep sound of their music. // 9

Lyrics: Though not as bad as some, their lyrics are hard to please anyone but hardcore fans. It would also come to shock if you were turning on a mp3 player and the first thing you hear is some dude screaming into a mic at full blast when you weren't expecting it. Been there. In future albums, it would probably be wise to use less screaming and more singing. But one suggestion can't change anything. Corey, however is very talented. It takes much more vocal endurence to scream versus singing. Regardless of complaints, a 7. // 7

Overall Impression: Slipknot is probably better vocally than other bands such as Bolt Thrower, in which you have no idea what they're saying. At they scream in a way you can understand. For the most impressive songs, I'd have to choose Before I Forget, Duality, and Circle because Circle shows that they are capable of singing and playing softer music, and Before I Forget and Duality because they're just awseome. But that's my take on them. If someone stole it, I'd seek them out and torture it out of them. I know I'm gonna get slammed for this, so I'm ready. // 9

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: x_live4guitar_x, on december 22, 2006

Sound: The one two punch of nu-metal Gods Mick Thompson (#7) and Jim Root (#4) is phenomenal! Steady, driving rhythm patterns lead almost every song and the album, and it works, to a point. Although the flow of the album gets about an 8/10, the repetitiveness of the songs really takes back from this album's potential. Without songs, such as 'Welcome', which has a strange resemblance to the later track 'The Nameless' with call and answer screaming matches between Corey Taylor (#8) and Chris Fehn (#3). Because of such drawbacks, the overall sound of the album gets a 6/10. // 6

Lyrics: This is "Corey's Album". On every song, beginning to end he delivers a stunning vocal performance. Some moments send chill through your spine, such as the bridge in 'Vermilion'. And despite all the criticism, it is still SlipKnoT. With angry anthems of hate (e.g., Opium Of The People, Pulse Of The Maggots), to songs about battles with alcoholism (e.g., Duality), to problems with relationships (eg., Vermilion Pt. I & II, The Nameless), it is the same SlipKnoT with a tweaked sound. Which brings us to another point of criticism, Corey's new voice. Now, every 'KnoT fan out there wants more albums right? Well he changed his voice so he could go on singing. At the rate he was going, with his aggressive singing style, his voice would be blown out by album four (if that won't be the last one regardless). // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album was fantastic. A blend of the same old hard driving, crunchy, in your face guitar part, with Jim and Mick exploring the key element Slipknot has needed all along, soloing. Of course, a new singing approach by Corey Taylor makes this album significantly contrast previous releases (Slipknot and Iowa). This album, as said before, is still the SlipKnoT we know and love. // 8

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: fatherlaffypant, on june 12, 2004

Sound: To say the least this album changed (or more to say gave me an idea of what bands do). The way I looked at all bands - your first cd is the hardest - your second is more experimental and still hard and the third is a huge change in music. I personally felt a little disappointed with the lack of rage and fury you got with the first couple. I thought that they did a good job with Vermillion pt.2 it's awesome. But Circles if you ask me wasn't any good. The first 5 tracks are good - Vermillion pt.1 is alright and the Nameless I thought was kind of a bad idea with the acoustic thing. I liked the chorus with distortion but not really acoustic. I thought they could have made it its own song. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics were awesome. Same with the singing. No cussing. What a huge change. I thought it didn't hurt alot but when he said butt I thought that he was trying not to cuss. I'm not sure what the deal with that was. it's awesome lyric wise though. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall it compared alright. My least favorite though. The anger and whole thing I loved about them wasn't fully there though. I thought there were alot of tracks that didn't really go well with the overall atmoshpere of the cd. If you like the others get it. Everyone loves it. I like it but don't love it so I listen to iowa and the self titled more. The new masks are awesome. Great lyrics, great acoustic song, dumb acoustic song and the drum solo on the blister exists is weak. It's 8th notes to quadduplets or something like that. 16th note triplets. Anyway it's really easy and the same thing over and over. I explained what I didn't like the rest is good/great. But no awesome songs. Most good leaning towards awesome peace don't hate me for this. // 8

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: evildeadarmy, on july 08, 2004

Sound: The sound and style on this album is much more rounded than that of the bands previous albums. Vol. 3 starts out fast and heavy after the intro with "The Blister Exists" through "Opium Of The People". Then it goes into "Circle", a slow, soft, and morose song that is followed by another fast and heavy track "Wellcome" and slows back down at "Vermilion Pt. 2", another slow and gloomy acoustic song (about a stalker?) but picks back up with "The Nameless". Despite the rather weak ending in the last track, "Danger-Keep Away", this album is definitely one of my top favorites. It really shows the vocal and musical ranges of Slipknot. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics weren't half bad, they weren't half good either, but the music and the talanted (thats right, I said talented) vocals of these guys made up for the less than perfect lyrics. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a pretty good album, it's got usual Slipknot sound plus some interesting new stuff. Caution: do not operate a motor vehicle while listening to this album, may cause reckless driving! // 8

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: guitarjared, on september 02, 2004

Sound: Hmm, what can I say. It's good if you like the untalented Nu-metal that bands are putting out today. People say that this is Slipknot's Master of Puppets, and how it's a creative masterpiece and that they actually put some solos into and how they've grown musically. I personally loved the song "Duality". When I heard what people were saying about this album and that song, I knew I had to get this album. Oh, what a mistake. It's pretty much the same thing recycled throughout the album. Nothing changes, just a bunch of screaming, lyrics about how Corey hates himself (and maybe on how he hates society), just hate, hate, hate, and more hate. Maybe a few songs are exceptions. I'm not sure. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics, well, pretty much speak for themselves. The idea I got from "Duality" is that Corey can actually sing, but, as soon as I got a glimpse at the other tracks, it was just what had been done before. The lyrics are not the worst part of the album, though. // 4

Overall Impression: I don't see anything in Slipknot. Sure, they did a ballad like song with some acoustic (what did I hear, an E chord? is that it?) but it was umelodic and just boring. And every other track is just filled with the same dropped-A power chords and mindless screaming and double-bass drum filled beats. Am I the only one brave enough to step up and say something about this? Unless Slipknot changes their style drastically for the next album, I'm done with them, and I sold this album for a good 3 dollars at Budget CD. I would much rather listen to some real metal, such as Master of Puppets, Rust in Peace, Cowboys From Hell, Killers, or even a more "grunge" album like Dirt. Those albums, my friend, actually have some musical value in them. Not this Slipknot bullshit. // 4

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2004

Sound: What can I say, this ablum is very differant to their other albums yet still has the overall feel of this brilliant band. It begins with a track quite sinister but calm (Prelude 3.0). But as soon as you react 'The Blister Exits' you know this is a brilliant album. 'Duality' is a masterpiece in itself with is slowly increasing beat to strong powerful chords and brilliant drum beat. Other great songs include 'Welcome' with its amazing drum beat that is so fast at points the beats seems to merge into one, 'Pulse Of The Maggots' that is just an outstanding song and 'The Nameless' with its pshycotic screaming of to voices. What I also love in this album and suprised me was the use of acoustic guitar! In such songs as 'Circle' and 'Vermilion Pt.2'. // 10

Lyrics: The lirics in this album are outstanding! They are quite clever how they change from sinister yet calm to full on hevy screams! The wording in the lyrics are I find lack in swearing unlike the other albums so they contain more brilliant psycotic rythmic wording. // 10

Overall Impression: It f--king rules! This is probley they've ever done! It's a masterpiece! // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: RYAN_australia, on january 20, 2005

Sound: Slipknot's Iowa left us all drained, but in a good way. It was so in your face, so brutal that it was a kick in the face every time you listned to it. Now the Knot are back with Vol 3. The sound here is still very Slipknot but an evolved Knot. It's a more mature sound that grows on you from start to finish. Yes, it is ones of those albums that needs a few runs through, but once you get it I garante you will all love it. // 10

Lyrics: This is where the Knot has always excelled. Cory would have to be one of the most significant people in the music industry today. Every word he speaks has true meaning and is not just a waist of breath. Vermilion Pt. 2 would have to be one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard and coming from cory just makes everything work. // 10

Overall Impression: I used the word beatiful to describe one of the songs and whoever would have thought the word beautiful would have been used to describe Slipknot? I'm not going to pretend though that this album beats Iowa because it doesn't, but at the sametime it's something totaly different that we all needed. I'm glad the guys from 0 to 8 had the balls to create such a mind bending album. In the end, it's Slipknot in their most healthiest state. // 8

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 19, 2005

Sound: This feels a bit unsettling. I am a fan of heavy metal, and went to see Slipknot with Metallica at a concert recently, but I still feel a shiver run down my back as I write this. Though many people call Slipknot a gimmick, they are one of the heaviest bands of all time and their unique (i. e. ball-shattering) sound is deadly. But I did not expect this from them. I was not a fan of their 1st and 2nd albums (Slipknot and IOWA) because of the lack of any normal-tuned guitars, quiet bass and lack of solos. But when I heard his album in a friend's house, I got a sharp smack in the face. The songs in this album have less mixing, and are mellower-2 are entirely acoustic. However, this does not mean that Slipknot hve gone soft, they have just gone in a musical direction (For Heaviness, see Pulse Of The Maggots). The guitars, bass, drums and sound in this album are perfect. The mastering has been done extraordinarily, as you can hear each of the nine clearly. A triumph. // 8

Lyrics: Corey Taylor (No. 9) is a phenominal singer. Though he screams a lot, his lyrics are deep, dark and passionate. For mindless shouting, see Pulse Of The Maggots (which contains the line "What tries to kill us only makes us stronger"). The best lyrics are on Vermilion Parts 1 & 2 (She is a myth that I have to believe in... All I need to make her real is one more reason). Full marks. // 10

Overall Impression: I gave it a 4 earlier because if you dont like heavy music, this ain't for you. As I said before, non-rockers beware, but for everyone else, turn the volume up to eleven and prepare to be blown away! // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2005

Sound: The sound is alot different to normal Slipknot, in a good way. Corey is a good singer and shows it in many of the songs especially the accoustic songs. The music is much more melodic and there seems to be a tune, the guitar is less distorted than normal and is probably now easier to tab as before it was just hell to try and tab it well. Slipknot have found a new style of sound, a good one in fact. // 10

Lyrics: As I said in the previous paragraph, Corey sings alot more in a nice tone and not so shouty. As for the lryics they are classic old Slipknot "I am hated" and "I love hate" apart from Circle and Vermillion Part 1+2 they are all have very in depth lyrics which is great. But too me it seems like Corey has tryed to hard so that puts them down a mark. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I think this is the best Slipknot album since S/T and I would highly recommend buying it, and it is worth the monwy. My favourite songs are Pulse Of The Maggots, The Blister Exists, The Nameless and Before I Forget. It is actually (sort of) quite mainstream compared to other Slipknot albums, and many of my friends have become fans after listening to it. I would recommend this to any nu-metal fan, or even to anybody whos never heard of Slipknot (I know who hasn't?) // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2005

Sound: First of all: Slipknot's music is crazy. I think it takes a lot of musicianship and a slight bit of insanity for Slipknot to write songs. I think Slipknot's sound is very fierce and kind of gruesome, especially when you have 9 guys all doing their job in the studio and on stage. Slipknot had mostly heavy songs on the album, but if you're not in the mood for down-tuned guitars and maniacal drumming, you may want to listen to "Circle" or "Vermilion, Pt. 2." They use acoustic guitars and actually sing notes and harmonies! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. Since Slipknot's music is part-rap-metal, they use many confusingly fast but equally impressive lyrics. I admit I had to use the dictionary after listening to it because I had never heard the words "convolution," "pariah," or "pretense" in a rock song. The lyrics fit right in with the loud, fierce music. Corey Taylor has such talent that he can yell loudly on one song and calm down and sing vocal harmonies on another. // 8

Overall Impression: "Slipknot Vol. 3" is definitely different, but I can definitely identify it with stuff like Fear Factory and Korn that I have heard before. The most impressive songs on the album are "The Blister Exists," "Three Nil," and "Circle." I love that I can get angry (for a reason) when I listen to Slipknot. I don't think I hate anything about it, other than that Shawn and Chris don't get much play time on the songs. // 8

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2005

Sound: The sound in overall is so damn happy and positive, I don't really like it because it steped completly out of the way I had viwed Slipknot in the past, but one band must not reamin the same that's a fact, they should change every once in a while, but the change that Slipnot made was really aiming for air play and videos (MTV, Rock Stations). To my opinion the fact that Corey and Jim left Slipknot for a while and worked on Stone Sour effected Slipknot's come back, because this seem more like not a Slipknot album but very well a Stone-Knot, this is what I call it because they left out that dark mysterious enigma that Slipknot held in the past, for instance take songs like gently, skin ticket, tattered and torn, prosthetics and so on, this were songs that made Slipnot stand out from the bunch of bands from that year 1999 era (Korn, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Powerman 5000, Papa Roach and so on). So in conclusion I did not like the album, it's got good songs but only like 4. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are always good, 8 always has an ability to write such mellow lyrics and make them poems and dark deep thoughts expressed on words. So I liked the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: My least favorite album from Slipknot, sounds like pop rock to me, songs like Before I Forget, Pulse Of The Maggots and Danger make complete examples of this. I would not buy this album again, I would have it borrowed from someone but I would not buy it. Plus Slipknot became so damn airplayed and made them look like one of your daily top 10 hot artists on the stupid ass plastic world TV. I was actually inteded to make my first Slipknot tattoo but after I heard this I changed my mind. Better luck next time Knot. // 4

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: Sorcerer Steve, on november 25, 2005

Sound: The bands music is mainly excellent, but a few songs are a little too heavy for my liking as I cannot understand the lyrics. The album is nu-metal which is not to everybodies taste. If you do like metal then this is a great album to listen to. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are difficult to hear in the heavy songs and easy to hear in the acoustic tracks. The lyrics are clever but some are slightly satanic. The lyrics and the music go well together and Corey Taylor the vocalist sings very well. // 7

Overall Impression: This album meets any other metal albums standard and is something different for once. The best songs on the album are 'Vermilion' Parts 1 and 2, 'Before I Forget' and 'Duality'. I love some of the acoustic tracks on the album and dislike songs like 'The Virus Of Life' as there is a lot of shouting and distortion. // 7

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: jake14, on november 28, 2005

Sound: Slipknot, otherwise known as the maggot kings, are a mix of heavy metal, and post post grunge. They wear metal masks, which is really cool. They kind of have a texture to the music that is different from all other bands. They have their own way of doing things. Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses, is their best album in my record book, because it is the heaviest. // 7

Lyrics: Slipknot have pretty strong lyrics, but it is not parental advisory. The lead singer's voice is like no other. He is pure, no machines, and very good at it. The lyrics fit the music perfectly. // 6

Overall Impression: The subliminal verses does compare to other artists. They have their own way of doing things. The most impressive song on their album has got to be Before I Forget because the first part of it, is really hard to play on guiar because it is so fast. If the CD got stolen or lost, I would definatly buy a new one. // 9

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: [.Malice.], on april 18, 2006

Sound: Ahh, Slipknot. Now let me make this clear to you. Slipknot is not my favorite band. After the shock value has worn off of the first 3 or so CDs, there's really nothing left to it. But this CD, you would have to be entirely biased not to find something that you like on it. Now don't go into this CD expecting beautifully crafted masterworks of guitar virtuosity, or hauntingly beautiful, serene lyrics or anything resembling restraint on those drums. Slipknot is still nu-metal, and wears that label with pride befitting their masked visages. That said, this album definately cools down their angst and rage into something resembling music. A shocker, I know, but try to regard this one with open ears. The guitars are mostly rhythm peices, with one sort of frantic solo that I managed to catch, on Pulse of the Maggots, but overall it was nothing too impressive. The bass guitar is massively underused. And, unfortunately, you can hear all 3 drummers pounding away, track after track. Somebody should teach these guys the virtues of a rest. The sampler is underused, thankfully. Honestly, how much can one song benefit from a couple loops anyways? // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics have never been a forte of Slipknot, and continue to be rather uninspiring here. Mr. Taylor's voice continues to be rather harsh at times, never quite quiting down from a sort of raspy shout, but at least it does seem to fit the Slipknot brand of music. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Taylor's (although I do support his side project, Stone Sour, but that's for another review) but I understand that they're a huge drawing point for the more "hardcore." I didn't like them, but he mellowed out every now and then for me to catch some of what he said, and actually appreciate it. // 5

Overall Impression: This is, by far, Slipknot's best album. The best songs are easily " The Virus Of Life" and "Duality," but don't forget "Prelude" and the last track. I can't remember its name, but it is a good, mellow, chilled out tune. This is a CD that is more than the sum of its parts. Somehow a bunch of overactive, over-angsty wierdos from Iowa managed to craft a pretty decent peice of music. Whatever. This is one CD that you shouldn't judge until you've taken at least a couple listens of. It's really not bad, and is, in fact, the only Slipknot album I could recommend you buy. // 7

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2006

Sound: The sound in this album is like no other albums. In their previous albums is was too trashy. Now that Corey sings properly, slipknot has flourished as a band. But like all of hteir other albums, there is no definative beat and there is no real talent to the music. This no no doubt there best album and I recommend this to anyone who likes metal. Slipknot is an aquired taste and I don't have that taste. That is why I like the songs vermillion pt II and circle. Those songs show that Slipknot has some credability! // 8

Lyrics: First of all, Corey is an amazing singer and if you don; t think so, go buy one of his Stone Sour albums. The lyrics in this albums seem to have a meaning and they actually mean something to the average listener. Unlike previous albums, it is not all about blood and death. The lyrics go well with each song. Like Vermillion is meaningfull and before I forget is a bunch of meaningless singing. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, like this album and it is in the top 50 of ones I have. There could be more appealing music and they would get a vaster crowd and more publicity. // 7

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2006

Sound: When I first heard of them/got into them, slipknot were branded as one of the heaviest bands out there, and no one in my school liked them. Iowa clarrified that even more, but this is a kick in the head. The heaviest band out there have changed into what? A weird mainstreme aimed act? I don't know, but I am seriously disapointed as an ex-huge fan. // 6

Lyrics: Corey is still writing clever lyrics, even though you can tell obviously the songs are for a huge audience (no swearing) and no true horror type lyrics anymore. Corey's voice is still good, though he doesn't even try compared to him in stone sour where he kicks ass. // 7

Overall Impression: I expected a lot more from Slipknot, even buying this the day it came out (f--k you posers who waited a month of something) but obviously, people and music evolves, and slipknot would of probally been crap if they did a linkin park by re releasing everything time after time, but this is a real let down. The most impressive song if any is probally Opium Of The People, but it has it's serious drawbacks. If I feel like Slipknot, I definatly put this to the back of my mind and find Iowa. // 5

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 04, 2006

Sound: SlipKnot, because of this album I love music so much more. Since the realease of their self titled debut, SlipKnot has reformed rock and roll into a great thing again. The hard driving raw guitar tones, mixed with a steady rockin' beat layed down by Joey Jordison, Shawn 'Clown' Crahan and Chris Fehn, SlipKnot must be doing something righ because the way the album flows from one track to another scores a 10 with me. // 10

Lyrics: Sell out? I think not. People have said that SlipKnot sold out and abandoned their evil ways. Well, read the lyrics to Opium of the People, or hear the anti-Christ-like undertones in Pulse Of The Maggots and tell me that SlipKnot has gone soft. Of course Corey's haunted vocals send a chill up my spine everytime the bridge in Vermillion Pt.1 hits. But, never the less, the lyrical talents of Corey Taylor werent flying their full colors on volume three. Which earns Volume 3 a 9/10 for lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: This cannot compare. Slipknot has drifted from their elements of old. But lucky for all the Maggots, it's for the better. I would buy this CD a million times over. // 9

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: DNC, on july 13, 2006

Sound: While the 'Knots other albums have mainly been purely thrashing around and screaming (don't get me wrong, I love that kind of shit), Vol.3 brings forward an entirely different side of Slipknot, that we previously have known very little about. For example, "Circle", we here Corey singing very, very softly in places, and more of an acoustic side to the guitars rather than going for the heavy, fat kind of sound that songs like "The Heretic Anthem", (sic), and "Left Behind" bring forward. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have immensely changed in the sense that in the other albums, they have mainly sounded like Corey had a mass grudge against society; however, in Vol. 3, the lyrics show sort of a more emotional side to Slipknot, (not saying their emo). I think it is a brilliant side to them that they have done well to experiment with, and has even paid off. // 9

Overall Impression: It in no way compares to other artists albums. Of course, some artists may translate from the heavy, to the mellow, but in no way as dramatically as the 'Knot has. I think that in this album, they are exploring more genres, this is reminiscant of "Do Nothing" from the Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat album, where there is a jazz interval between screaming, which was a surprise to hear from them. The most impressive songs from this album are most likely Vermillion Pt. 2, and Opium of the People, purely because its such a transition. Vermillion Pt. 2 being a fully acoustic song, while Opium of the People reminiscing their earlier albums, proving that they still know how to do it and it's still them. // 9

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 15, 2006

Sound: Well, I'll put it this way: at first, I made a negative assumption about Slipknot before ever actually hearing any of their music. And then I heard this album. I was wrong! This album is so full-sounding. The guitars are very innovative in terms of both originality & technicality (the solos are pure shred). The vocals are at times brutal & very powerful, yet at other times very soft and melodic. The bass pounds your head in like there's no tomorrow. And the drums are pure genious-the double bass and fills are just mind-blowing! There's a lot of anthem-based material on this album, and of course, previous Slipknot fans will still be able to enjoy the complicated time signatures too. I have a 2-disc version of this album, which includes some unreleased tracks (which are also awesome), alternate versions of 2 of the songs, and a few live tracks taken as excerpts from their live DVD "Disasterpieces". All in all, this is a killer package. // 9

Lyrics: Corey Taylor proves to be both an excellent lyricist and musical vocalist on this album. He has a great ability to scream and yell with clarity (as in "Three Nil" & "The Blister Exists"), yet at the same time; sing very soft and melodic stuff (as in "Vermilion Pt.2"). Overall, the songs were all obviously written in close contact with each band member because all of these songs are played so flawlessly by all of the menbers live as well. And with 9 musicians in a band; you could imagine how difficult that can be! // 9

Overall Impression: This album just sounds so awesome to me. The songs are very well-written and really get you into a headbanging frenzy. I think that this album destroys every other Slipknot release, and probably won't be beaten by another album to come any time soon! A lot of people have characterized Slipknot as "Nu-Metal", but this album seems to stray from that sound, and if listeners still believe that this album adheres to that sound, then it's very easy to say that Slipknot is definitely the leader of the genre. My personal favourites of this album include: "Opium Of The People", "Welcome", "Pulse Of The Maggots" & "Vermilion" (parts 1 & 2). However, I like pretty much every track on this album. If it were stolen, I'd cause a riot simply because I love it so much. // 9

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: Gibson_SG_uzr55, on august 02, 2006

Sound: This is a very good album. Slipknot has thier own unique sound that will never be duplicated. It's got that alt-metal sound that is fresh and will remain that way for years to come. Vol 3 The Subliminal Verses was totally different than thier past albums. That is mainly why I loved it. Now I don't nessesarily dislike everything in the past. The self titled album was good. Iowa I personally didn't care for but a few songs. As for Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat: never heard it; turned off by title. But this album is simply brilliant. It has the heavy stuff all maggots love, acoustic stuff to show thier other talents, and stuff that sounds a little more mainstream that is a little disliked by the heavier audienced, yet it caught the eye of a new audience to become maggots and still managed to keep most of the older fans. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics on every song. The verses match the chorus well, and Slipknot has a knack for great choruses. The only thing hurting this is they are at times pretty dang wierd. The lyrics blend perfect with the guitars and drums. Corey has a talent most singers anymore don't: singing. He screams and sings, showing his potential and power. // 9

Overall Impression: This really goes up there with the great modern metal albums. I gotta admit, before I didn't like Slipknot. But being with my friends a year and a half, I asked one of them for this record and had a change of heart upon hear it. I see that one guy rating Vol. 3 rated the songs as well, so I'll try that to give a second opinion just in case. There you go, there are the songs. As you can see, I love giutar solos. The only problem is there are only three songs with 'em. The only thing that I disliked was the few guitar solos, and the bass could have been more noticeable. After all, bass is most important. If I lost it, I would pull a burned copy I was storing previously (I burn all my CDs more than once). // 9

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: Dancing Fool, on august 14, 2006

Sound: Starting off, Slipknot has gotten much more mellower. There is more ballad-type songs than before, and the songs are less 9 different instruments, but more like a band. The songs are more polished, sound better overall, and even a solo! [Welcome] In this CD, they make some what of a transfer from Rap-Metal, to more of a hard rock with double bass/heavy nu-metal. And the switch also caused many longtime fans of Slipknot to lose intrest. They were used to in-your-face, fast, sound, only to be suprised by a more musically matured and slower Slipknot. Many can't listen to songs such as Circle, Vermillion Pt I & II and miss the old Slipknot. And the turntables are getting less work than Iowa and Slipknot. But all is not lost. Joey's fantastic drumming is still there, and it's improved. Instead of rapid-fire bass drum fills, they are more placed, and sound better overall. He even does a drum solo in Circle, which is using the hi-hat and snare to the best of his ability. In my opinion, it is a better sounding Slipknot, and I hope the new CD sounds more like this. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, this is a masterpiece. Corey has always had a knack for using metaphors easily and fluently, and this album brings out the best of his writing ability. By no means is he the best songwriter, but he may stand among them. They cover many topics, and each is hidden among layer and layer of metaphor. Corey voice on this CD is also very different from the last couple of Discs. Instead of screaming, and sings more often. And it sounds wonderful. // 10

Overall Impression: SlipKnot is very different from many nu-metal bands. It may be the line between nu-metal and metal/metalcore on some songs and nu-metal/hard rock on others. This is the perfect CD to bring a person into Slipknot. In my opinion, this is the better of the Slipknot CDs. The most impressive songs would have to be the acoustic ballads. They are incredible well written, with very good vocal work to boot. If it was stolen, I would definatley buy a second copy. // 8

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: nfldguitarist, on february 25, 2008

Sound: The overall sound of the album is something of slipknot trying to be Radiohead meets slayer meets Korn meets Mr. Bungle. The whole album to me is very raw and the guitars come at you in that rick rubin style of production. The songs definetly differ and all though the album and all though it has it's share of filler it definetly has more songs on it. The album starts of with the haunting Prelude 3.0. I can't tell if this was like the intro on korns new album but it definetly had me interested. I didn't like the guitar solo's on the album. They just seem to all over the place and almost like they were made to come up with them right on the spot. It is not an enjoyable experience to here a Slipknot solo. The best way to understand me is to go buy the album and listen to it. Besides that I think that the overall sound of the album is something of a band wishing to expand there horizons and doing so that there core fanbase wont get alienated. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are Slipknot lyrics they basically deal with hating yourself and being a maggot. I think that they could of done somemore thinking when it came to writing maybe more poetic lyrics besides that they definetly were trying to get to the point with this album as they normally do with there other albums. I think that the corey taylor has his worse moments on this record. Corey has been known to spin out a crazy no tolerance to his vocal style but this sounded to low and I think that he could have worked it up better. Chris has shown that he is amazing vocalist on this album they should definetly bring more of it into there next album. // 5

Overall Impression: As far as slipknot records go I think that this is slipknots most mature album to date. It shows how they are trying to break into a more progressive sound (it could be compared to Korn who als did this on there 8th studio effort). The stand out tracks to me were "The Blister exists," "Three Nil," "The Virus Of Life," "Circle," "Vermillion," "Before I forget" and "The Nameless." I would kill the person whoever stole this from me and would most definetly go and get a new one. // 9

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: Busproof, on november 06, 2008

Sound: This is Slipknot's third album with the 9.0 lineup, as well as probably the best selling and most recognized of the original three albums. Vol. 3 continues the Slipknot sound with the same intensity fans have gotten use to, which it's downtuned guitar work and multiple percussionists, as well as improved upon it's lyrical work and explored new sonic territory with the acoustic work on Vermillion pt. 2. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, this is obviously Slipknot. Even in the, seemingly out of place, Vermillion, the lyrics retain their dark, pessimistic, and at times, outright angry, tone that made Slipknot imfamous in the first place. You see Corey Taylor's voice hit pitches he hadn't touched in the self titled album or Iowa, and you get to see the softer side of his voice at times, something you normally wouldn't expect from the vocalist of a band like Slipknot. This is typical Slipknot-faire with some altering touches added in vocally. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to their prior albums, Vol. 3 comes across to me as an 'okay' album. It still has the aggression I grew to love on the self-titled, albeit not as much. It just doesn't give me that punch in the face anger feel the first album did. However, it loses a lot of the glam I felt from Iowa, which to me, was their worst album. I guess you could say it's the best of both worlds. You see the typical Slipknot aggression in songs like The Blister Exists and Duality, and see the softer side in both Vermillion tracks. Like I said, the best, and in some cases, the worst, of both worlds. Overall, it's not a bad album though, but I would definately suggest the self titled album over this one anyday for newer fans. If stolen or lost I probably wouldn't bother with replacing it, as I'm not too big on the band, and I'm even less so on this album. Sure, I'd be upset, but I'd just rather spend the money on something else or on the self titled album. // 8

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 21, 2009

Sound: The sound in this Album is very different compared to the first two albums. This one sounds a bit more mainstream than the others. But, they still did a good job doing it. With corey's voice, it sound like your hearing it over a radio or a PA. The guitars even have that kind of same sound. The drums are, as usual, AWSOME! The DJ (sid) and Craig are as usual having their moments as well. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics didn't really leave the slipknot category. They did mold it in a new way. They arent a dark as previous albums, but They're still pretty good. (the meanings of the songs are from what I guess, so I could be wrong.) Tracks: 01. Prelude 3.0- I didn't really get the point of this song, but it sounds like someone who has kept in a secret or something around that and finally tells someone about it. THis song makes it seem like a dying statement due to "Now it's over". 02. The blister exists- mainly in this one, the singer is trying to tell you that, if he hates you, you've done something to make him have this hate. If he loves you, It's because you've respected him. simple as that. 03.Three nil- THe song is basically about embarassing defeat. Meaning 3-0. Corey makes the song sound about him having the winning advantage, but he's actually talking about being the one with no wins. so, as slipknot should do, take your anger out on the winner! 04.Duality- IN this one the songer is in pain that is excrutiating. The only way he can stop the pain is to "Push my fingers into my eyes". It also show he's not gonna let anyone rule or destroy him. 05.Opium of the people- From what I guess, The song is about judgement day coming, and everyone is expecting the songer to be the one to lead them out of danger or come up with some miracle to save them all. 06.Circle- This sone is very acoustic, unlike slipknot. THis song is about corey meetinghis father for the first time (when he was like 30). It talks about the cycle of life, death and reincarnation. 07.Welcome- this one is very underated.It's basically a political song, I believe. I cannot put my finger on what this one was about. This one is though really good. 08.Vermillion- This one is meant to be about a break- up. The woman is very upset, this break-up controlling most of her life. She finally decides to end it all by suicide. 09.Pulse of the maggots- The song is kind of a statement to the slipknot fans, known as "maggots". It means they will always be there for the fans and they will give them the most evil, destructive music known. 10.Before I forget- The opening guitar riff for this one always puts a chill down my spine. It talks about evolution and the nature of man. THis one is probobly one of the best songs on the album. 11.Vermillion part 2- This is another acoustic one, the second part to vermillion (obviously). This talks about the aftermath of the girls death, and she later findout that she is dead and is finally at peace. Kind of odd for a slipknot song, but whatever. It's still pretty good. 12.The Nameless- This song is very underrated and it is another one of the best songs on the album. This one ralks about someone who has mixed feelings for someone else. Basically, they love to hate and hate to love them. This one is weird, it goes from Pure heavy metal to acoustic, usually during the chorus. 13.The Virus of Life- This one I cant really put on what it's about. It's either talking about how a virus gets to someone, and I'm guessing this virus is lethal. Or, It's about a stalker trying to sneak up on someone and cause them harm. It's kind of a straight foreward song, dosen't really change pace or volume during the song. 14.Danger- Keep away- this one is talking about, I guess, the state of being in the singers mind. Basically, of how he has "A place in his mind". This song is alaso very straight foreward. It's quiet and not that loud. Dosen't even involve drums, bass, maybe one guitar. Mainly it's craig and sid I think that are doing the music in this one. The ending is kind of odd. It seems like it just ends in the middle of the song. Corey does a very amazing job on this album and the lyrics are great. He's able to use alot of other voices in the album. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this album, BUT, It's my least favorite of the four albums (Slipknot, Iowa, VOl.3 Subliminal voices, All Hope is gone). Among other artists, it's great. It just proves more that slipknot can do great. This was kind of an experimentation album, and they went a little bit mainstream with this one. But, they still did a good job, so I'm not gonna complain. If you're hesistating to buy it... BUY IT! IT's great, you wont regret it. // 9

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: igotabcrich32, on may 14, 2004

Sound: The sound is amazing in this album. When I first heard the the begining track i was already amazed in the first few seconds. Slipknot used many different types of music style. They have acoustic songs, orchestras, and there normaly brutal hardcore aproach. // 10

Lyrics: Corey taylorwrites amazing lyrics. The lyrics go very well with the music. Corey has amazing singer skills. From screaming. To talking. To growling. To just plain buetiful singing. // 10

Overall Impression: Slipknot is a band of there own... they sound like noone else the most immpresive songs are definetly Prelude 3.0, The Blister Exists, Three Nil, Circle, Danger, Keep Away, The Nameless, Vermilion, and Vermilion Part 2. Its definetly worth buying. I love everythingabout it. The only thing i hate about it is tht it ends. I know its not in stores yet. But i got it. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: Bass Playin Bam, on may 22, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is totally new, acoustic guitars, more members sing (eg. in Vermillion part 2 all 9 members sing) the band have remade there image and this will desstress the narrow minded maggots who may call slipknot traitors. There are also a few Heavy tracks, when listening to this album you can hear the Stone Sour and to My Surprise influences, (some of the side projects of some members). This album socked me, I waas expecting a repeat of IOwa and I was rewarded with a great album // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics tell a story of how they have become the first album was we are here and f--ck you all, the second album was like We've made it big and we hate ourselves, and this is like, we were what the madia wanted and now we are the true meaning behind slipknot, the lyrics go great with the songs as well, slipknot have thought about what they were doing this time and must have said to themselves, this album is gonna be the greatest album to date. // 10

Overall Impression: As I have said you can hear the influences of the side projects, esspecially stone sour, my favourite songs have to be Duality and Vermillion Part 2, they are completely different, this album will shock all, I know its not out yet but I have heard it and its fantastic, other good songs on the album are the Virus Of Life, Circles and The Blister Exists, but every track on this album is enjoyable, I love this album, if I lost it I'd would definatly relace it, in fact id copy the album first and keep the original in mint condition so as I had a perfect copy at all times, definatly worth the money you'll spend, and just for the record Jeoy Jordison is the dudiest dude on this planet. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: MaggotCorpse, on may 26, 2004

Sound: The sound of his album is just amazing, not including the acustic songs, it seems like Joey, Mick, Jim, and Paul have started useing there instruments way better, not saying that they sucked before, but this album seems like they are putting a new style to back up how the different way corey is singing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were really surprising, for some reason it jsut didnt seem like corey was mad or had any bad days wen he wrote this album, come to think of it. I couldn't even pick out much swareing, corey really cleaned out his vocabulary, but hey, it stil sounds good and kicks ass! // 10

Overall Impression: Ok, I had no clue wat to think on this album, I've been hearing for months all these things about it not being good and that there is acusitc and that corey doesnt scream at all, well, ill admit corey did tune it down a notch, but it doesnt sound bad at all, it's just a different style for him, and the acustic songs, there is about 4 of them, big deal its not like they are bad, corey can actually sing so needs song like that to show people that he doesnt just yell, may be that will make ppl think more of slipknot other then ppl that just yell, anyway I love this album and I recomend this to everyone, it's deffinently worth the money to buy. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 28, 2004

Sound: All I can say as a true maggot(slipknot fan), is that the new album is awesome. The sound is great, the acoustic is pretty cool, and it seems the band has matured a little and have unlocked thier true potential. Also the solo is awesome(I forget which song, but theres one). Listin for yourself and hear how great it is. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep. He doesn't have to scream and curse to get recognition or to have a great song(I did like the screaming though). also as someone above me mentioned, more of the band sings. // 10

Overall Impression: The album is definitly gonna be among the greats for this year. The best songs are probibly Pulse of the Maggots, The Nameless, and Duality. All of them kick ass though. I made 3 copys incase it gets stolen or broken. I recommend it to anyone who is into rock/metal/alternative/ whatever, just go buy it. Also if your into the screaming stuff just check out the self titled album or Iowa. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: Spike6sic6, on may 28, 2004

Sound: Firstly I gotta say this album really impressed me. The first time you listen to it you may be disappointed but after listening to it again you'll probably get hooked. This album is very different then their last albums. Some of their songs contains solos and there are accoustic songs. Their music is way better then it used to be. Some parts sound a lot like Stone Sour,which kinda disappointed me, but most of the parts are still like the old Slipknot. I almost had goosebumps the first time I heard the smooth part in The Nameless. // 10

Lyrics: Again they innovated on this album. Some of the lyrics now seems more serious than they used to be. You can hear Corey using "She" in Vermilion Pt. 2 which sounds kinda strange for a Slipknot song. Corey sings a lot like in Stone Sour for some parts, but it's still good. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion it's better then the other albums. My personnal favorite songs are Vermilion Pt. 2 and The Nameless. I love the fact that they seemed to have put much more efforts in this album. The accoustics parts are awesome. I'd definatly buy it again, it's definatly worth it. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 28, 2004

Sound: This album truelly suprised me. I was expecting the usual heavy riffs and insane drum solos but, it was still a great album. I was very suprised at all the acoustic songs but I loved every minute of it. // 10

Lyrics: Corey taylor calmed down. Very suprising. He didn't really scream alot. But it's ok because he has a great voice, no matter what. He can scream, growl and sing beuatifully. I love his voice. And his lyrics always matched the intensity of the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was the most musically diverse album yet. It kicked supreme ass. Although I was startled by the balled style of some of the songs, I enjoyed every minute of this album. I loved the way corey sings his lyrics with the music, but as all great albums do, it had to end. If somebody stole this cd from me, I'd hunt the person down and the torture would include wire clothes hangers. If you dont but this album you should get your ass kicked. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: axeslinger0u812, on may 29, 2004

Sound: I bought this cd after playing the single on my radio show and liking the sound of the band. I thought "maybe, just maybe the whole cd is as good as this...", unlike some other cd's I've purchased. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this cd far exceeded my expectations. Theres a great variety of songs and moods throughout, and the sound quality is just amazing. You can hear all of the musicians now. It's not muddy at all. Well done Mr. Rubin. The guitars have an interesting tone, they seem to change continuously to me. It's also nice to hear guitar solos. One of my favorite parts comes in the chorus to "The Nameless", as the band adds vocal harmonies to Corey's melody. Very nice. How they are going to pull this song off live though. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are quite a change from old school Slipknot. Not near as angry. The lyrics match the songs well. Heavy songs are a little angrier, while the lighter songs delve more into the subconcious and seem moodier than the rest. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say this is one of the best rock releases of the year so far. Every song is an entity unto it's own, and the musicianship is far surpassing their earlier releases in every apsect. The production allows for every member to be heard through the mix. Definetely a must have for any hard rock/metal fan. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: im not mental, on june 01, 2004

Sound: Slipknot have always had an amazing sound, but this one takes the cake. The guitarists solo Joey is still the greatest drummer on earth, and the snare drum solo on the blister exists is just plain awesome. Circle is a nice acoustic song that reminds you of Bother by Stone Sour. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a bit different, they're pretty hard to describe, except by the words "Pretty Damn Good." But no matter how the lyrics change, Corey Taylor's voice will always prevail. In some of Slipknot's older stuff, you couldn't understand a word that he was saying when he screamed. Guess what? You can understand them here. His amazing vocals just make the lyrics complete. // 10

Overall Impression: It seems that Slipknot just gets better and better with each album. If you liked Stone Sour, but wish that Corey and Jim ditch Slipknot and stick to Stone Sour, give this album a try. They compare to Stone Sour a lot. My favorite songs are The Blister Exists, Cirle, Duality, Before I Forget, and Opium Of The People. I have absolutely no regrets about this album. If it got stolen, I'd go out and buy it again. It's worth every penny. Get It Now. You Won't be sorry. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 02, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is amazing. The acoustic, the samples, the vocals, everything about this album is amazing. It really shows how much slipknot have matured. Coreys vocals and lyrics have definetly improved, joeys drumming is just as good as it's ever been and in songs like predule 3.0 it shows that joey can do other drumming than mental, fast pace, mental drumming which i like, and the solos are amazing too they are not what you would exspect from Slipknot but they are great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are incredible especially in welcome and three nil. One thing concerned me about the lyrics in three nil, when he say's 'millions of people lined up for miles to see the great big mouth shut up and apologize' it made me think that maybe this is coreys clever way of saying that this is gonna be the last Slipknot album. But overall the lyrics are definetly more complex and diabolic compared the the other albums much more mature. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is pure genius, the band should be proud. After hearing this album i just don't wanna stop, Slipknot have definelty made a good impression on me and any true maggot (Slipknot fan) should love this album too. It shows just how great slipknot really are. If you ain't got it get it if you ain't got the money find a way or download it it's worth every penny or every single second of time you put into it stay. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2004

Sound: This cd is the best sounding slipknot album ever and I noticed that some songs sound like old metalica with the fast highpitch tones and what not. But I love this cd to death opium of the people is one of the bands best songs ever. I hope they continue to make more cds and songs like they have been. // 10

Lyrics: My over all impresion is that the lyrics have really matured and you can hear what they have to say now. Just so you know how much they have changed my dad who hates slipknot like some of the songs on the album and I think that really shows that they are changing. The lyrics really melt into the music and its really good imo. Corey's singing skills have really improved, I really enjoy the older songs but the singing in this is great. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd really blew my mind when I listend to it I even passed up a chance to buy it cause there was no parental advisory so I thought it was edited so I decided not to buy it then I went to a diff music store and still saw no sticker so I asked why is there no sticker on here and the dude said "there is no need for it" and that really blew my mind. I really love every bit of the album and its great so I don't dislike a thing about it. It is worth buying in every sense of the word. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: snapneck, on june 03, 2004

Sound: Slipknot's Vol. 3 The Subliminial Verse has change for the good. The have experimented with many type of music. Such as acoustic, orcrastra, and some song with both acoustic and heavy guitar parts in it. At first I thought how would pull off acoustic but the did and it was awesome to hear nu metal in acoustic. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this cd are awesome but some are creepy. I thought how would he think of the things he puts into the songs. Overall the lyrics are awesome. The lyric on this cd compared to the others are different. The first two cds were all about kicking some ass. But this cds lyrics were about personal problems ones life. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd could not be compaired to the other cds. The were so experimental on almost everything it to hard to compare. If this cd got stolen I would definialty buy a new on. I got it for $18.00. It was well worth the money. The things I love about this cd are the acoustic songs such as Circle, Vermillion pt.2. The took the band to a whole new level I think this is one of the best cds I got. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2004

Sound: This (By A Very Long Shot) Is The Greatest Slipknot Album Ever Released! It Replaces Slipknot's Trademark 'Scream And Hope For The Best' Method And Replaces It With Something Alot Better. Slipknot Now Sound More Like Corey's Side Project 'Stone Sour' And By Changing Their Sound Have Created A Music Defining Record. The Music Is New And Fresh And Never Before Have You Heard Blistering Metal Anthems (The Blister Exsists, Three Nil, Duality, Opium Of The People, Welcome, Pulse Of The Maggots, Before Forget, The Virus Of Life) Meet Slow Roling Emotion Filled Anthems (Prelude 3, Circle, Vermillion (Pt 1 And 2), Danger - Keep Away) And Even Combine Them Both (The Nameless). This Album Kicks Total Ass And The Sound Is So Original! Best Album Of The Year (In My Opinion) So Far! // 10

Lyrics: Although The Music Of Slipknot Has Totaly Changed, The Lyrics Remain Basically The Same, With Corey Yelling Down The Mic About (Most Of The Time) None Meaninful Things. Although For The Mass Proportion Of The Album The Lyrics Are Like This, You Can't Help But Feel The Emotion Drifting Through Them (Circle, Vermuillion Pt 1 And 2) And Feel As Though Slipknot Have Finally Reached Their Goal In The Music Industry. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I Have Said Before, This Is My Album Of The Year So Far, And Is An Essential Purchase Whether You Liked Slipknot's Old Material Or NOt, Because There Is Something In This Album For All Rock Fans, So Go Out, And Buy It. Slipknot Have Finally Found Their Meaning In Misic, And They Have Done A Great Job In Doing So! // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album was great. The band got to use all member in this one. Mick and James doing some bad guitar solos and riffs. The drums are amazing. They use acoustics? Yes! This shows how creative they can get with their sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album shows that Corey isn't always mad at someone. And their isn't any profanity, now if other people listen to this CD, they won't say that they worship the devil, which happens to me alot. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great album, and it shows how soft Slipknot can get, and how heavy they can. It also shows how great they are musically. I think everyone can find a song on this CD they will like. It's a really great CD. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: blindboards, on june 23, 2004

Sound: The sound of this new SlipKnot cd is just totally awesome. It's like everyone in slipknot learned to play their instument better. And compared to the other 2 this one, tho isnt nearly as aggresasive, blows the other 2 out of the water. I think Rick Rubin (who produced the record) really brought out the best in Slipknot. // 10

Lyrics: Corey Taylor is just an awesome singer, and lyricist. Like on circle, and Vermillion Pt. 2, he sang wonderfully on them, and in my opinion is on of the most versitile sirgers out there. He can go all out metal and kick ass and he can also sing beautifully. the lyrics, as I said before, are not as agressive but still get the point across. this is just an all around kick ass album. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the other ones in my opinion this is the best. I think all the songs on the cd are good except three nil, and Vermillion pt.1. I love every thing about this album it kicks major major ass, hell yeah I'd buy it again if someone stole it, or better yet hunt there ass down and beat the shit out them for stealing it in the first place. Definitley go out and buy it. It is nothing short of extrordanary. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2004

Sound: Oh my god! The greatest album I've ever heard. The Brutality of 'Iowa' with the insane beats and guitar riffs from 'Slipknot'. Heavy metal, Acoustic, Orchestra are some of the sounds on this album. Corey's voice has never sounded better, Mick & Jim's guitars sound so fucking amazing, everything about this album is great. It also features Slipknot's first ever solo's. // 10

Lyrics: Everyone knows Corey Taylor writes and sings from his soul, which is why he is the greatest singer on the fucking planet. Lyrics go well with the music as always. Corey Taylor is an amazing singer, he can sing anything, just listen to 'Bother' by 'Stone Sour', and you'll know what I mean. // 10

Overall Impression: When Slipknot said this is their greatest album ever, they weren't kidding. This is the greatest. Album opener 'Prelude 3.0' is great, but different from anything Slipknot have ever done, 'The Blister Exists' is f--king amazing! With a cool chorus that Corey sings and doesn't scream, and cool bridge part with drums that sound like the military marching towards you. Other stand out songs are 'Three Nil,' 'Duality,' 'Opium Of The People,' 'Circle,' (which is all acoustic, with an orchestra) 'Pulse Of The Maggots,' 'Before I Forget,' 'Vermillion Pt 2,' (which is also all acoustic). I love everything about this album. Oh man, if anyone ever tried to steal this from me I would fucking kill them, and if I lost I would turn my house upside down looking for it, if I failed to find it, I would definetly buy another one. If you've never heard Slipknot before, then where the f--k have you been for the past few years? It is worth buying a million times over, so all you have to do now is go out and buy it, hold your breath. Listen. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: gary666, on july 19, 2004

Sound: I think that Slipknot have changed a lot since thier preveous albums. The sound of the music is a huge difference. It is by far the best album I've ever heard. I'm into metal/clean and acoustic stuff and this album derlivers all. It has the metal only this time it is different! It's more melodic and styled. Some songs are both styles like 'The Nameless'. In the song 'The Blister Exists', the music cuts out half way through and is taken over by an army styled march on the snare drums. The slow Slipknot is the biggest change. The best Jim Root and Mick Thompson's talent is shown in this album. Acoustics, solos and the melodic and amazing metal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics work ang go with the songs very well. There sumtimes is more than one person singing at a time, like in songs such as 'Vermillion Pt.2' and 'The Nameless'. The lyrics in 'Vermillion' are about love but at the same time make the song have it's share of evil and energy. Other song are filled with Slipknot's dark humor like in the self-titled album (Slipknot, 1999, roadrunnerrecords) but stil don't sound the same. The songs also have catchy choruses. This makes every song seem addictive! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a one of a kind! It sounds like no other. No band in the world coud even compare to this album because it is everything. Although I believe some Metal fans would be dissapointed, This maybe Slipknot best album to date! Slipknot are defenatley on the rise with this album and if they keep making more like this, they will become the best band ever! (not that they aren't anyway!) // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 06, 2004

Sound: This album can be described in one word. Epic. It really is. Throughout the entire album the sounds are changing, a contrast beetween melodic and heavy. From the 'Pink Floyd' esq intro, like nothing that you've heard from these guys before, to the Death metal 'Three Nil', to the shredding-fest 'Opium Of The People', to 'Vermillion Part 2' - One of the most beautiful songs on the album. To tell the truth, there is no reason why any metalhead shouldn't like this but it all comes down to your point of view I guess. Excellent. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were extremely impressive on this album, manifesting coreys sonwriting skills. It's a large step up from 'Iowa's' lyrics, wich seemed to be hate fuelled pretty much all the time, but these lyrics are much more diverse, from love, to society, to war, to what it means being a human, he writes about alot of things. Another thing that impresses me is his large vocabulary, that I, shamefully had to fetch a dictionary to understand what some of them meant! But well done corey. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before. Epic. A must buy album of this millenium. Forget the masks, listen to the music, there's tonnes of talent in this extraordinary band. Bringing nine members to their full potential. The guitar solo's, may I say kick ass, the drums as always, are breathtaking, coreys vocals are much more diverse and impressive, the dj add's an extra spice to things. And the thing is, it all fits. They've raised the bar once again. Well done guys. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: skatersic666, on september 14, 2004

Sound: Everyone hyped this album up, corey was quoted saying, 'this is the biggest -- you to the establishment we could think of'. I don't know if all the hype was totaly true but all I can say is this album is defently different but different in a very good way. Slipknot have defently changed since Iowa, it's less heavier and more melodramatic. The album starts with a eerie track called Prelude 3.0, when I first heard this track my hairs sttof up on the back of my neck and arms and I said to myself 'is this Slipknot?' If you didn't know it was Slipknot you would never of guessed. Then the CD goes heavier for Three Nil and The Blister Exists. Then the song Duality; I did like this song but I think slipknot have gone to mainstream with it and too 'poppy' if thats the right word. Theres also soft stuff on the album like 'Circle', 'Danger-Stay Away' and 'Virmilion Pt. 2'. Coreys singing voice in these songs is amazing. Oh and lets not forget the new national anthem 'Pulse Of The Maggots'. After you have listened to the songs a few times you can hear a stone sou relation as some songs really do sound like a dtone sour song. If you like the heavy old slipknot you might as well check it out but I'm not shure how much you will like it. I loved the heavy stuff slipknot did and I though this album was different but it grew on me. // 10

Lyrics: Corey Taylor is amazing with lyrics both writing and singing. The lyrics are very meaningfull and dramatic. (This is the only band-well stone sour aswell-that I have to get a dictionary out to find the word meanings, corey is amazing with his choise of words and putting lyrics together.) These is defently more backing vocals which gives the music real feel and depth. Every song has a meaning and a cause. I really felt attacted to some of the songs becuase the lyrics are so powerful. (Oh and the whole album has a theme which I have yet not fully worked out nut I'm gussing something to do with a girl.) // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums and artists in thier catogary it beats them any day. The best songs have to be 'Circle', 'Virmilion Pt. 2', 'Pulse Of The Maggots', 'Virus Of Life' and 'The Nameless'. I am very glad that Mick has included solos in the songs (amazing solos at that, try to learn 'Pulse Of The Maggots' solo!) This gives the music a new angle. The onlything I hate is that there is no very long song on it (like Scissors or Iowa), I think that the boys could of really experimented with a real long song like Iowa. This is a must buy for any Slipknot fan. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: LEOLACEY, on october 18, 2004

Sound: When Slipknot's first album came out, it sounded very unique and made Slipknot a special band. People say their masks were stupid and childish, but I believe they are extremely clever to have used that Idea to promote themselves and get more noticed. Now more bands are starting to wear masks (Mushroomhead, The Locus), and experimental rock is coming from all over the place. Their second album was completely different from its first; hardcore metal with deep screaming vocals. For me, it was a disappointment after 'Slipknot', as it was too heavy, but Iowa is one of the best heavy metal albums around, which showed Slipknot was an amazing band to have pulled off such a range of music. Then, there were rumours of them splitting, which then made their third album even more special. Produced by the legendary Rick Rubin (Slayer, Red Hot Chilis), recorded in his mansion, Vol 3 (The Subliminal Verses) is an absolute masterpiece. This album is obviously the best produced out of the three. This album again has a completely new sound, with a few songs sounding like songs on Iowa, a couple sounding experimental again, but some of the songs sound nothing like slipknot at all, and you have to praise them for that. // 10

Lyrics: From just the lyrics, you can tell that the nine men have matured in music and as people. No longer is Corey screaming 'Fuck you all, fuck this world, fuck everything you stand for'- lyrics full of swearing and ranting on about hate. This album doesn't even have any swearing in it, apart from 'Bastard' on 'Pulse Of The Maggots', but that isn't that offensive. But then again, their new acoustic songs wouldn't be right with Corey chanting 'People = Shit' over and over. Slipknot have also used more backing vocals in this album; not just shouting, but soft singing as well. It is possible to hear that Corey, and the others who sing have improved their singing skills, and made the 18 legged band a more melodic band. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall Impression of this album is one of the best albums around. Slipknot have returned with probably their strongest album yet. There are a few parts of 'the subliminal verses' that are a bit shabby, but most of the music is the dogs bollocks. The best part of the album is that the guitarists are finally allowed to do solos, and they are kick ass! This album has proved to the public the good guitarist Mick Thompson has always wanted to be shown as, and what a great guitarist he is. The guitar riffs are even better, and the melody lines are really catchy. My favourite songs are: Opium For The people - the guitar intro is amazing; double guitar playing really fast harmonizing each other sounds really impressive, and the chorus is really catchy; Pulse Of The Maggots - another hardcore anthem from the masked men, with a strong chorus and amazing solo; Before I Forget - this song has a punky feel to it, and sounds like a perfect single for Slipknot to release. The chorus is amazingly catchy, and the guitar riffs are really cool. The only song I really despise is 'Welcome'; it is too heavy and their doesn't seem to have anything special about it unlike the other songs. Volume 3 The Subliminal Verses is a must gets album, even if you don't like their original sound; it's catchy, it's different, it's amazing. Lots of people say slipknot is a band of just noise, but with this new album, they can final prove those idiots wrong, and let Slipknot live up to their full potential. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2004

Sound: What can I say. I think Slipknot really did a good job on this album. The sound is great. The guitars are more deep, melodic, and they play off eachother alot more. The sound is much more developed. Drums sound great sampling wasn't as prominant in this record, but it still added that flavor to it. Songs like "Opium Of The People" has great openings, and changed alot throughout the song (multiple chorus', verses) wich added some variety to the music. The acoustic songs ("Vermillion Pt.2" and "Circle") really sounded great, especially with the dual guitars. Along with some of the more mellow songs ("Danger, Keep Away" and "Prelude 3.0") started and ended this album great. And the sound on the import bonus track, "Scream" was amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album were much more refined, the lack of cursing had so much more emotion in the lyrics. "Circle" used great metaphors to relate to things. The songs just had so much feeling in them, something I can relate to every day life. As always, Corey really does a great job with his voice. He pushed the limits with himself on this album, and did things that werent seen/heard on previous works. "Welcome" is a good example of his melodic screams that hyped up the song alot. "Duality" had a great sound to his voice, and the occasional backup by Chris and Shawn added some nice dynamic. The only problem I have with the lyrics is he sometimes sounds strained, and in the last chorus in Duality, "it pushed its way inside..." he sings the last word higher, when he always goes lower in live shows not really big but I think it would have made the song that much better. // 10

Overall Impression: I think it compared just as well as, if not better than there other albums. Some people give them crap for doing the mellower stuff, whatever, there pushing there boundries, I like that. It's worth the money, I would probably get it again if somethign happened to it but I'm not gonna let that happen. Its got a nice flow to it. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2004

Sound: This band's sound is always really cool because I don't know any other band that has 9 musicians! This album is very unique in it's sound and the solos are freakin crazy, especially becaus the 4 guitarists are collaborating so awesome! Great musical style! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are powerful and say anything anyone has ever felt. The lyrics really show what drives Slipknot into thier desire to express themselves. No one can hate anything about the words. The lead singer screams very well, and occasionaly he'll sing, and he can actually sing very well! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is alot more calm than previous albums of Slipknot. I definently do not regret getting this album, I've listened to it everyday since I bought it! The best song by far is Vermilion! It's the best song in the world! "I won't let this build up inside of me...", I'm sure you've heard it. Other good tracks are "The Blister Exists" and "The Pulse Of The Maggots". Go buy it so you can see what I'm talkin about! // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: LedZeppelin, on november 26, 2004

Sound: I'd never heard an entire Slipknot song before buying this album except for Duality, which I loved, and was hoping every song would be as good. I was blown away, because every song is just as good if not better. The sound is great, 9 people producing a full-on metal assault. I don't really see what role the DJ plays - there isn't a lot of scratching. There is a lot of sampling and junk though, but I thought they had a Sampler that's not important though. The point is that the sound is awesome and can go from hard-pounding screaming and insane drums and guitars to soft, melodic, eerie stuff like Vermilion Part 2 and Circle. The sound is fantastic and nothing less than perfect. // 10

Lyrics: After getting used to Corey Taylor's voice it's not hard to figure out what he's saying when he's screaming, which is definitely a plus because he's quite the poet. "Chemical burns and the animalistic, I'm just another hardline pseudo-statistic!" is what most of the stuff you'll find here sounds like, and while not all of it really makes sense, songs like Three Nil definitely do, when dealing with issues like acceptance brilliantly. Corey Taylor is definitely on my top 10 list of amazing singers. // 10

Overall Impression: I've heard samples of other Slipknot albums, and Iowa seems to be the better of the other two. The first one is just too hard for me. On Vol. 3, the best songs are actually, I love every single one of the songs except for The Virus of Life. It's just horrible I love everything about it, and the only thing I hate is I can't get "Unlock Joey" in the CD extras. If it were stolen or lost, I'd find whoever stole it and beat them with a large stick. Then get the CD back. I'd definitely buy it again. If it's your first time buying a Slipknot album, I reccomend this one because it's the most varied with all the acoustic songs and stuff. Slipknot rules! // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: chamberlain k, on january 17, 2005

Sound: The sound in this CD can be defined as amazing. It's got songs with heavy guitars and plenty of screaming, and songs with acoustic guitars with no screaming. The thing I absolutely love about most of the songs on this CD is that in every one of them, there is one part near the end of the song that I wait for every time, and when it plays, my heart starts beating faster. It really gets me going. To use an example, listen to "Before I Forget" and the part where Corey sings "My ends, it justifies my means" would be a prime example. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics can be summed up in one word: genius. Although most of the time, the lyrics can't be 100% heard/understood because they are screamed, if you can understand them or take the time to open the CD booklet and read them, you will see what I mean by "genius". They are just absolutely incredible in my opinion. If you take "Vermilion Part 2" as an example, all the lyrics can be heard and understood and they are excellent. The music and lyrics blend in perfectly. In times of singing (I'll use "Vermilion Part 2" as an example again), we have a nice acoustic guitar background, and in times of screaming, we have heavy guitars. // 10

Overall Impression: First I'd like to point out my favorite songs from this CD: The Nameless, Before I Forget, Pulse Of The Maggots. These songs are really the highlight of the album in my opinion. Some things I love about this CD is the fact that I dont skip a single song! They all rock big time. I also love the blend of different songs. The best part, is the screaming in my opinion. I love it. To me, there is nothing to hate about this album. This was the best album of 2004 in my opinion, and quite possibly the best Slipknot CD. If I lost this CD, I would definatly buy it again, seeing as how I listen to it everyday which is another bonus. It never gets boring! I would definatly recomend this CD to everyone who enjoys good music. The gets a perfect score without a doubt. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2005

Sound: The sound is somewhat different from the older Slipknot that I have heard. To tell you the truth I love it, I think Mick and James are both geniuses and Joey is definatly a genius when it comes to the drums. // 10

Lyrics: Amazing. I'm speechless, I mean if I could write stuff like Vermilion I would be like god. And I also like the approach of no, or if there are, small amounts of cursing, not that I care, bt my bands philosophy is that you dont need to curse to sound good. // 10

Overall Impression: To tell you all the truth I've never been a slipknot fan. My neighbor loved them from like 7th grade till now (he's gotten into a new band called Bleeding Through) and he would always play them, and I would always hate it. Yea there were certain songs I liked, Wait And Bleed, Spit It Out, My Plague, Left Behind And Snap, but thats it. So just the other day I bought the Subliminal Verses special thing because I had always liked the song Duality and Pulse Of The Maggots, and since all my Slipknot freinds didn't like the new one because it got more stone sour sounding, I though wat the hell ill buy it. I lik every song on the album, and everything about it is awesome. But there lies the problem for other slipknot fans, that it is different than the others. So I think with this album, they have lost some fans, and gained alot more. My final thing to say about this album, is that it's actually getting me into old Slipknot, I just downloaded People=Shit and Heritic Anthem and I like those songs so, who knows. Also I think this album steers alot more towards what nu-metal really is, opposed to the heavy metal thing they also do. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: maggotSTRONG, on may 24, 2005

Sound: The sound is incredible, it's not as heavy as iowa mind you but all the same I have the upmost repect for Slipknot and always will I can't stop listening to their music. It's simply and purley bright and intelligent. My personal favoite song off the album is "Before I Forget." // 10

Lyrics: Corey Taylor is not only a genious and not only a poet but my idol. Oh ya by the way to "unregistered" the 4th guy down Corey's # is 8 just so you know. But back to corey his violent screams his meaningful singing is just mind boggling. Corey Taylor, you are a metal god! The lyrics to each and every song blow me away but my favorite lyrics to a song are probly Pulse Of The Maggots! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall who doesn't love this CD I do and to everyone who doesn't like them just 'cause theyre supposibly nu-metal can speak up because no matter what genre you should like a band for their music. So everyone who hates Slipknot or hates their music speak up and besides "what kills us only makes us stronger!" // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2005

Sound: Ok all you people who said Slipknot are only about screamin and shoutin swears, be prepared to eat your words. It is a statement to show that after all the doubt, we can all see how incredibly talented each of them from 0 to 8 is. Corey Taylors voice still blows me away. From his mind destructive screams to his hauntingly melodic and beautiful singing voice he is an utter legend. Sure you may have heard him sing in his side project "Stone Sour" but who would have thought that he could incorperate this into Slipknot, one of the most destructive and heaviest bands to date. But even with the acoustic songs and the lack of screaming in this album, Slipknot still show that they are a metal band, and will plough anybody down who disagrees. Jim Roots guitar solo's are amazing and Joey's drumming is incredible. // 10

Lyrics: Corey's singing is amazing. What more is there to be said. The lyrics are still as meaningful and passionate as previous albums, but now Slipknot have proved they can get a message across without swearing. The only swear in the whole album (as far as I know) is on Pulse Of The Maggots and that isn't even in the sung lyrics. Slipknot still strive to stand up for the litle guy. The ones who are scared to take a stand and make their voice heard. In lyrics such as "I fight for the ones who can't fight, and if I lose, at least I tried." Lyrics both sung and screamed are awesome. Corey's voice has no boundaries. And the sheer beauty shown on Vermillion Part 1 and 2 is astounding. // 10

Overall Impression: Those of you who have loved Slipknot from the very beggining should be proud that they can still produce mind blowingly heavy material, but now have the balls to stick a huge middle finger up at the world and say "look what we can do!" They should be proud that they have proved a good chunk of the music community wrong. They have experimented more, which is always risky but the end result I think we all agree is truly immense. Doubters of Slipknot and people who did think that all they were about is screamin and havin "scary" masks. Sit down, take a listen to this album and eat a slice of humble pie. Slipknot are back, but not as we no it. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2005

Sound: Absolutely incredible. I have the special edition and even on the bonus CD there is not one bad song, not one. I especialy like the acoustics and I think they pulled it off extremly well. Also the adition of more solos was a big plus over IOWA and there fist self titled album. Pure genius. // 10

Lyrics: I wouldn't consider Corey a songwritter, the man is a poet. The lyrics in this album are so emotional and personal it realy gives you a look inside his head. Vermilion and The Blister Exists are great also Pulse Of The Magots probly the best lyrics on the album in my opinon. // 10

Overall Impression: Pure geniuous (spelling). Everything down to the lyrics book is just plain sick (in a good way). Favorite Slipknot album yet. Keep up the good work guys. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2005

Sound: I had IOWA and the self titled album wen they came out as I did with Vol 3. It wasn't a great deal of change between IOWA and self-titled, except that IOWA had more to offer. In Vol 3 they hit a new level and are definatly braking some new ground. // 10

Lyrics: Corey taylor is the lyrical master. His lyrics are suttle and meaningful and aren't repetative, this album seemed to have the perfect lyrics for the riffs they went with, Corey Taylor also shows in this album that he isnt just cookie monster vocals. His vocals can blow anyone away, from Vermillion Part 2 to The Blister Exists. // 10

Overall Impression: Lots of people think they have gone downhill, I feel that people that say this just want to jump around and hav a good time, my guess is that most of the people that think this album is shit aren't musicians, because this album has loads to offer and is the best album I have bought next to Mezmerize. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it for sure! I love all this album. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: darthballs, on july 14, 2005

Sound: The first thing I would like to say is that Slipknot is the greatest band of all time. On this album the really sweet guitar riffs are better then ever. The solo on Pulse Of The Maggots is the greatest thing I have ever heard. I like the cool drum part on The Blister Exists. Three Nil is my favorite song on the whole album with the really cool intro and awesome lyrics it is just perfect. Another song that I really like is Duality. It has awesome guitar parts and it was the best sone in '04 according to Guitar World. On Opium Of The People I love the inrto and how they do the awesome bridge thingy. Circle is not my favorite but it does still has some pretty good lyrics. Welcome is a really cool song mainly because of the solo and I have always loved the way that the drums play in the background. Vermilion and Vermilion Part 2 tell a story about a girl that is imaginary and tells how she is imagined almost like describing a dream and at the end they chant, "She isn't real! I can't make her real!" On part 2 the accoustic guitars help make it sound more dreamy. // 10

Lyrics: All the lyrics were really good. They flowed with the music. I love Corey Taylor's voice. I like how they scream. They show their anger and in some songs they show sorrow and lust. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that this is the best album by Slipknot from both a lyrical and musical standpoint. I recently purchased the songbook and I have been working on the songs but some of them are really hard but since its Slipknot I really work at them and get better. If this album was stolen, I would buy it again and again because I love it so much. Not much else to say but this is a goddamn sweet album. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 29, 2005

Sound: After listening to all 3 CDs, Vol. 3 is easily Slipknot's greatest achievement thusfar. This CD showed the maturing of 9 guys that have grown together musically as well as emotionally. Although the other two cds were great, Subliminal Verses portrayed various sides to the singer that is Cory Taylor. All the songs have their own atmosphere, and the mood of the entire CD evolves as it goes on, and finally ends on a darker note, that is more like the older Slipknot. Some people may say that the CD sucks because they do 2 acoustic songs, and actually show the bands vocal abilities, but this CD has what the other two did not balance. That is what makes this CD great. It's like the previous 2 CDs plus a very special blend to end on a final note (Slipknot may never make another CD). // 10

Lyrics: Compared to the other CDs, Vol. 3 contains words that are more than junior high level vocabulary. There is a set of lyrics on this CD for everyone, no matter what fan of music you are. This ability to connect with various people, and yet still maintain an independent and strong connection with its hardcore listeners is why I rate the lyrics so high. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is the greatest Slipknot has created to date. The CD has various sounding songs, cool and creepy art, kick-ass masks, and a bunch of great songs. If this CD was lost or stolen, I'd definitely get it again, without even thinking. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 01, 2006

Sound: Who couldn't like this album? It has awesome sound with great guitar solos. You could build up excitement in one song and then have a complete rush when the next song comes. If you like heavy metal but don't like Slipknot, then you might as well listen to something else because you could define heavy metal whith these guys. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are easy to understand and they flow. If you try to listen you can make out pretty much every word. The songs like Before I Forget are awesome with the screams. They don't sound high pitch and like crap that you hear in some other bands. // 10

Overall Impression: When I first heard the name Slipknot, I thought of some sadistic guys yelling at the top of their lungs and sound like crap. But then I heard them on the radio and I couldn't believe how good they sounded. Duality, Opium Of The People, Pulse Of The Maggots, and Before I Forget are definitly the best songs on the CD. You can't hate this CD or the band. I give it the best rate I possibly can. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: Flashback4, on april 17, 2006

Sound: This is Vol 3: Subliminal Verses. This is the best album that slipknot have published yet. In The album you will hear and find out that they have made pure magic! They Have met the metal gods! Now enough of that and let me talk about the sound quality. All songs are completly different from eachother and you will find a favourite track by slipknot after listening to the CD. Mine has varied over time. My favourite track has changed like 4 or 5 times because there all just amazing tracks. You will come across some of Mick Thompson's and Jim Root's (guitarists) most treatening solos and riffs. You will hear Corey Taylor's (singer) most skilful lyrics and Joey Jordison's (drummer) breath taking fills and beats. // 10

Lyrics: Corey Taylor is the singer and writes most of slipknots songs. Shawn Crahan (custom percussion) has wrote a few and Joey Jordison wrote the last song scissors. Corey Has brought together some great anthems, but all the songs have meanings. For example one the albums most famous track duality is about standing at the crossroads of your life, looking down both paths, and saying' What am I Going to do'. // 10

Overall Impression: This as I've said is Slipknot's best album so far. Overall it contains a variety of slipknots talent and style. You will never get bored maggots 'cause each song is a new story a new life a new adventure for your soul to seek. The only thing I hate about it is that 'oh god I wish I was in that band'. If it was stolen, well sorry it wouldn't get stolen as I have my eyes on it. Once you've listened to it once, you will won't to listen to it again and again. Untill their next album comes out. So yeah overall it's amazing in all the ways you can describe. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is flawless, with the weird mixing and the mad drumming, the the pounding bass to the eye-brow raising rythym guitar, and the solos are an unexpected surprise, although I hated Slipknot at first, I remember reading in a book that Metallica were considered to be just noise until Master Of Puppets was released. this album lets everybody contribute with their instrument (in Corey's case - his throat. I warn anyone who doesn't like metal, this is the heaviest band of recent times and they'll scare the hell out of you (and if not hell - then heaven). // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are powerful and meaningful, see the thing is that the screaming puts everybody off they don't exactly look deeper and find what the song actually means, in my opinion there is nothing with screaming it only matters if its done right, Corey's voice is at its highest peak yet, the screaming is unnatural (in a good way) and the singing is melodic. Actually Corey should sing more than scream, keep the screaming for the of the song, but that aside the screaming is top notch, the lyrics help it, coreys smart for a metaller who swears as much as he screams. He uses such big words. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is their strongest yet no band will top it, at least they've taken a more melodic approach than last time so, best songs will have to be Duality, of course, both Vermillion Parts 1 & 2, Circle, Before I Forget and Pulse Of The Maggots. The whole album is the highlight! // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 14, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is just simply amazing. The guitars on this album are astonishing and I'm really, really happy they put solos and this album and 3 acoustic songs which I am currently trying to learn. The drums on this album are just brutal kick ass straight up your face metal drumming. The bass is really amazing on this album especially in Duality I like the bass intro thing the bassist does. The rest of the instruments do a good job too like the Turntables, the keyboards and Percussion are all amazing here. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are amazing. Corey is one of the best songwriters and he always will be one of the best. I love the way Slipknot scream and I really love the way they sing all their soft songs it just touches you a lot you know. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other artists or albums that I have ever heard, here is the reason why. Slipknot have their own sound of heavy/punk/alternative metal all on this one absolutely astonishing cd. I dont have any favourite songs because they kick complete ass. I love everything about the album and I hate nothing about it. If this album were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy it again. It is defenitely a good buy for any fan of metal or Slipknot. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: StringsofBlack, on september 07, 2006

Sound: What can I say, Slipknot has one of the most orignal sounds out there today, and they've done it without giving into the American mainstream bubble. Slipknot has managed to make death-metal, alternative metal, and even some rap-metal and create such a wide fan base, that they've created a precident for what metal should be. Truth is, I didn't used to like metal that much, but this album converted me into a true metalhead. Every song on this CD is great. Some I don't particularly care for as much as others (Opium of the People, Three Nil), but there's something in each of those songs that not only saves them, but makes them strong too. There are so many highpoints to the album that it's just ingenious: Prelude 3.0, The Blister Exists, Duality, Pulse of the Maggots, Vermillion, and Before I Forget are absolutely amazing. // 9

Lyrics: Corey Taylor has got some thinktank going on these songs. If you don't believe me, just read the lyrics to Vermillion and you'll learn what true pain and love can be twisted into. Listening to the whole CD, there's no real pit falls and the flaws lyrically are so minor; there's a consistency through out the entire album that makes the lyrics just plain great. // 10

Overall Impression: I really try not to give every CD a 10 because lets face it, not every CD is perfect. there's always some flaws, which this album does have in a few minor points, but to the overall impression I give it a 10. Every song is great, every guitar crunch powerful, every thundering beat of Joey's drums fierce, every scream Corey lets out is intense. This album to me beats out even their debut album which is a bold statement I know, but it does so just barely. Slipknot is here to stay, criticisms or not, and they're not afraid to speak their minds. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: killing spree, on february 09, 2007

Sound: I liked this album the best out of all of their albums. This album combines their heavy music with a normal voice that you can actually understand. Don't get me wrong, I love their other albums too but this one sticks out to me (and I like when you can under stand lyrics). Also, I think they really perfected their sound in this album in songs like Welcome and The Nameless. It makes you realize that Slipknot is not half-bad at soft stuff even though everyone thinks of them as screaming death metal freaks. But don't worry, there's still plenty of heavy stuff. This album also showed the skills of Mick and James on the guitar and Joey, Shawn, and Chris on the drums I think better than their first two albums in little parts that, if you listen carefully, are totally worth the ear strain. // 10

Lyrics: Slipknot's angry tone is back with a vengeance but it's lyrics improved a lot. Now they use more meaningful language and big words that are a big improvement from their usual f--k this, f--k that. For you guys out there whose parents don't approve of explicit lyrics this is the Slipknot album for you unless your parents consider saying bitch and damn two or three times in like two songs an explicit album. I think Corey has a lot of singing potential in that he can yell, roar, sing normally, and sing softly, the lyrics usually go along with the music, too. Usually when the lyrics are about desires the music starts out mysterious and gradually gets heavier. The soft guitar also works out very well with their more sad lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this is definitely their best album out of all of them. Other albums are great too but not as great as this one. My favorite songs from the album are The Nameless and Welcome because of the fast pace, intense drums and guitar, and angry voice and lyrics in those songs. If you prefer softer songs I'd recommend Prelude 3.0, Circle, and Vermillion Part 2. I love everything about this album, even the turntable spins and the piano they play in some songs really gives this the edge that puts it above other bands. If I lost this CD I'd walk a mile through six inches of snow to buy it back, assuming I had a nice warm coat and hat. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2007

Sound: A lot of the songs on this album are really kinda goth-ish. But the band really matured as musicians as well, throwing in some solos and highly complicated riffs. I'll break it down song by song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are about the same as ever on most songs, but they go deeper on Vermilion and Before I Forget than usual. The lyrics and the music really fit because they are very psychotic and sometimes disturbing. As we all know, Corey Taylor is the greatest vocalist of his generation, but he goes farther than the normal growl, so it's probably his best performance yet. // 9

Overall Impression: It's very hard to compare Slipknot to anybody else because of how diverse they are, but this is one of my favorite albums so far. If you are just planning to get a few songs from the album off itunes or limewire, or something, I suggest Before I Forget, Duality, both Vermilion parts, The Blister Exists, and The Virus of Life (if you don't get scared). I would buy this album the moment it was lost or stolen. If you are a true maggot, then you will go out and buy this immediately! // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: execution_666, on june 10, 2008

Sound: Slipknot has gone experimental on this album. That is not a bad thing. In fact, it's quite nice. Their last albums were intense, brutal and heavy. Now it's time fore Slipknot to try other things, yet keep the same brutal low tuned guitars and unique turntables with samples and not to mention, three drummers (one drummer, two percussionists). With soft sounding like Vermilion Pt. 2 and Circle all the way to some heavy things such as Before I Forget (won a Grammy for "best metal performance") and Duality, Slipknot does a really good job at showing s a wide range of sounds and music while still presenting a general Slipknot feel. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics can be strong on this album. Each song has its own meaning. This album is the first Slipknot record to have a soft intro leading into a heavy song. It's really quite nice. Corey Taylor makes each song come to life with his voice. Some killer ways of saying things over and over (i.e. "All I've got is Insane" - Duality) make the mood of the album intense and enjoyable. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this record, man. Slipknot does a good job of modernizing a variety to their sound without ruining the band (unlike some bands). One of the best tracks on the album is Duality. Some killer stuff. I love the band's way of experimenting. If it was lost or stolen, I'm making another purchase. // 9

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: thezohan, on march 04, 2009

Sound: Slipknot is definitely one unique sounding band. I liked lighter music such as Van Halen and stuff. My cousin introduced me to the world of metal with bands such as Metallica, Slayer, All that Remains and of course SLIPKNOT! Slipknot (on this album) shows a lighter side on two or three songs, and for the first time, Guitar SOLOS! They combine Death Metal, light rock, I guess rap, and they basically are their own genre. // 10

Lyrics: Corey's lyrics fit great with the songs, and I enjoy them. One big difference from the first two albums(not MFKR), is that there is much less swearing and cursing. I don't mind the cursing so much, but it let's younger kids listen to Slipknot also. Corey's a great singer. // 10

Overall Impression: Some very memorable tracks are Three Nil, Pulse of the Maggots, The Nameless, Duality, Opium of the People, and my personal favorite Vermillion. I love the fact that it's different from the first two, but don't like how Slipknot sort of lost their really unique sound. If this album were lost or stolen I would definetely get a new one. // 10

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses Reviewed by: StoneRomance, on january 10, 2011

Sound: It sounds the same as the other Slipknot records.. but better. I didn't think it was possible for them to make a better record than Iowa and their self titled album, but the awesome metal band never fails to impress me. My favourite song on the album is Vermilion (Part 1). I love the way the song and te video follows the girl during her dead-like life where she has no connection to the world. It is an amazing song, as well as Vermilion (Part 2) which is an acoustic version, but with some of the lyrics changed. The video for this shows the girl in her final resting place and at peace at last. They are both truly amazing songs and I don't see anyone else covering them and being better than Slipknot at it. Track 4, Duality, is also an amazing song. Although the video for it creeps the hell out of my friend, I think it is amazing. The lyrics and tune to it is awesome and te fact that Slipknot got their fans to be in the video is so cool. The musicians in Slipknot, especially the guitarists Mick Thompson and Jim Root, really shine on this album. I think it's the first album Mick does an epic solo on and he does loads. They are such amazing guitarists and the amount of different styles they can play is incredible and, as I am a guitarist myself, they really inspire me. The drummer, Joey Jordison, also shines on the record with his outstanding drumming skills. In my opinion, he is the greatest drummer there has ever been and he plays so well on this album. Unlike other drummers, his playing isn't sloppy ta all and he plays so fast, it's unbelievable. All the percussionists on the album are epic as well. They give the songs more of a background sound and help Joey out with the beat, which not many other bands do. The vocal skills Corey uses are the best so far. He shows he can do thrash metal screaming as well as singing in a "normal" way. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to Vol 3 are true Slipknot work. They are real personal and Corey sings them with so much emotion, it's outstanding. If you compare Slipknot to another band, you can see how much passion, hate, discomfort and emotion there is to the band and you can see exactly how they feel towards things. To haters or Slipknot, reading or listening to the lyrics would make you think that they are full of hate and depression, but they're not. They are just letting their anger o ut and making great music at the same time. The lyrics in this album inspire me so much and do for a lot more people as well. // 10

Overall Impression: Vol 3 is Slipknot's best album, by far. I love it so much and it's definately my best album EVER made. The sound of the songs are so amazing and all the stories the lyrics tell are so awesome, especially Vermilion which really shines on the record. The band really explore different sounds in this record by playing acoustic songs as well as their usual metal. The acoustic songs show a completely different side to Slipknot and can sometimes be more likeable than the other songs. This is a must buy album for any metal fan and is definately Slipknot's best record to date. // 10

More Slipknot reviews rating latest review
+ Slipknot 8.7 05/28/2012