Yeah So Review

slow club: Yeah So
Released: Jul 6, 2009
Genre: Indie Pop, Folk Rock
Label: Moshi Moshi
As a band Slow Club show a wide variety of sounds, demonstrated in their first album, "Yeah So."
 8.2
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Yeah So Reviewed by: samdebrunner, on august 02, 2013

Sound: Slow Club are a boy girl duo known for their tantalizing harmonies and use of household objects such as bottles and chairs to make music. As a band they show a wide variety of sounds, demonstrated in their first album, "Yeah So," from the gentle acoustic that opens the album with "When I Go" to the upbeat '60s style "Giving Up on Love" to the slow "Sorry About the Doom" and to the alluring guitar style in "Wild Blue Milk." As a result of this a lot of Slow Club fans, when asked about their favourite song, will give completely different answers as we all love Slow Club for our own reasons, giving a really personal touch to the album in my opinion. For me, I was brought to Slow Club upon hearing what is now one of my favourite songs on a television programme called "Chuck." That song is "Christmas TV," however having heard the full album I would be hard pressed to pick a favourite. Despite my praise the sound is of course not for everyone, some people will hate the album but I find that all the best things in life somebody hates, because it is out there, controversial, punchy, catchy and good. If you are someone that hates good music, and there are more people than you'd think out there that do, don't bother listening to this album. // 10

Lyrics: Rebecca and Charles produce some beautiful harmonies, however both also sing solo at some point in most of their songs. Particularly strong vocals can be found in the "secret song" at the end of what is the final track in the non-deluxe album - "Our Most Brilliant Friends." This is essentially a solo song from Rebecca with Charles only coming in at the very end. The lyrics to the album are derived from a mix of personal experience and random story-telling with one member of the duo providing the idea and the other either "telling them it is stupid" or helping develop it. Though most of the songs are co-written, Charles did mention in a interview the "more personal" songs were not interfered with by the other person, though which songs they are is unclear. Overall, I would say the lyrics are cheesy, soft and uncool, telling innocent stories of love rather than stories of sex and "rock 'n' roll" and for me there is something brilliantly charming and refreshing about that. // 8

Overall Impression: The songs that stand out for me are: - Christmas TV - When I Go - Boys on Their Birthdays - Apples and Pairs - Dance Till the Morning Light - Because We're Dead As I said, I would be hard pressed to pick a favourite, hence the fact I had to pick 6! However if you asked another fan of slow club, their top 6 could not have any from this list in as it is such a varied album. This is my favourite album of all time and I never go more than a week without listening to at least a couple of songs from it and I have recommended it to anyone willing to listen. I am not a particularly good writer and have never done a review before so this review wasn't for your enjoyment to read or mine to write, it was simply meant to spread the word of a great, under-appreciated band and to tell you to buy the album and fall in love with it like me.

// 10