Until The World Is Happy; Wake Up You Sleepyhead Sun Review

8.8
 8.3
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Until The World Is Happy; Wake Up You Sleepyhead Sun Reviewed by: juniorfr3ak, on march 25, 2008

Sound: At forty-six minutes long Small Leaks Sink Ships leaves no room for filler on their first album. As far as style goes, Small Leaks Sink Ships will most likely be put down as a hybrid of Indie, Progressive, and Punk. It might sound a bit like like The Mars Volta, if the Mars Volta was from planet earth. The songs on this album are varied a bit in style, as most freshman albums generally are. Nevertheless every song if full of the band's unique style and color. There's the bouncing beat and strings of "Truth of Transition," the winding interlaced guitar of "The Flood," the distorted piano and gang vocals of "Sick On Substance," and the stop start rhythm of "Sackcloth In Ashes." These songs truly show the talent and creativity of the band. This album is full of original guitar lines, impressive drums, and intricate bass. // 9

Lyrics: The singers on the most immediate factor of this band. The vocals are gravely and rough without reaching a scream. They go from near speaking to notes worthy of choir boys; and songs will often include gang style vocals. Lyrics are mostly well thought out, but this album has a few misses. "Did it hurt, yes it hurt, did it hurt, yes it hurt, did it hurt, well I told you, that did hurt," I think we can agree that these lyrics, even when sung in a answer and repeat style, are a bit repetitive. That is the only major misstep that I found in the lyrics though. Overall I find the vocals and lyrics very enjoyable and well executed. // 8

Overall Impression: The best tracks to check out on this album are: The Flood, Sackcloth In Ashes, and Sick On Substance. Any one of these songs will give you a good feel for the sound of the band. Personally, I love everything about this album; from start to finish. The only track that I seem to skip over is "The Best Time Of The Worst Year." If you are a fan of The Mars Volta, Portugal The Man, Brazil, or The Fall Of Troy; you should give this album a spin. // 8

Comments