MACHINA - The Machines Of God Review

artist: smashing pumpkins date: 07/25/2003 category: compact discs
smashing pumpkins: MACHINA - The Machines Of God
Released: Feb 29, 2000
Genre: Rock
Tones: Angst-Ridden, Cathartic, Melancholy, Theatrical, Aggressive, Gloomy, Precious, Plaintive, Somber, Wry
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge
 8.6
 9.1
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
MACHINA - The Machines Of God Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Overall Impression: According to Pumpkin's frontman Billy Corgan, the Pumpkins released 2 albums which were "perfect". One was their debut, Gish and the other Machina. I heard this statement shortly before I played the album for the first time. This gave me fresh hope for another epic such as Mellon Collie. Adore had been a good come down album, but I wanted more steady rock from the Pumpkins. Machina didn't fail to please. The opening and the albums first single, "The Everlasting Gaze" reminds us all that the Pumpkins are one of the rockin-est bands in the world. A simple but oh so catchy riff and they're away. the album then delves into heavy metal, love songs and yes, more rock. Unfortunetly the acoustic guitar is not used as much as it should be, with only 2 songs even featuring it, "Try Try Try" and "Wound". More mysteries are unveiled about the legend of Glass and Zero, in the 10 minute epic "Glass and the Ghost Children." This album really is more of a fan's album though, the songs on it stand almost no chance of finding new fans like Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie did. Nevertheless, songs like "Age of Innocence", "Stand Inside Your Love" and "I of the Mourning" make this album definitely worth it. // 8

More Smashing Pumpkins reviews rating latest review