Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness Review

artist: smashing pumpkins date: 08/19/2008 category: compact discs
smashing pumpkins: Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
Released: Oct 24, 1995
Genre: Rock
Most ambitious and indulgent albums in rock history.
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.8
 9.8
 9.7
Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness Reviewed by: feesk8ordie, on october 31, 2005

Sound: First things first: Corgan is a genius. He can write any kind of songs, and this album best highlights that. It starts with the orchestrated title track, before leading into the beautiful "Tonight, Tonight". Then, as the last notes from the strings die away, the dirty, distorted guitar intro of Jellybelly kicks in. The album continues with the hard-rock tone with Zero, Here is No Why, and Bullet with butterfly wings, before becoming quiet again for the haunting "Love." The first disc highlight comes in the form of the last heavy song on the disc "Muzzle" with a haunting refrain of Corgan singing "I knew, the silence of the world." The sounds on the album are absolutely incredible. // 10

Lyrics: Corgan is, in my opinion, along with Kurt Cobain, the best songwriter of the '90s. He captures the confusion of youth so beatifully in Muzzle ("And I knew, the echo that is love"), yet contrasts that with bitter sarcasm in "Bullet with butterfly wings" ("Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage"). Corgan is an amazing songwriter who's lyrical skills will amaze you. // 10

Overall Impression: All I can say about this album is that it is the essential album of the '90s. You must have it. An epic- 2-disc masterpiece, the album fails to disappoint at all. // 10

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness Reviewed by: bassplayer496, on august 19, 2008

Sound: Trying to classify a specific sound for this album would be pointless, because literally almost every kind of music is used at some point. From the classical instrumental title track, the new wave of "1979" the screaming metal in "Tales of a scorched earth" to the slow and melancholy "Take Me Down" and "We Only Come Out At Night." Almost seems to mix techno with celtic style guitars. Soundwise this is about as diverse as music gets. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, Billy Corgan is one of the geniuses, and the album contains some of his best lyrics ever. But on the same page, it also has some of his worst lyrics ever. But the lyrics are for the most part good on here, as is shown on songs like "Tonight, Tonight" "Muzzle" and the underrated "Lily, My One and Only." And people argue that the lyrics are slightly narcissistic, and maybe that's the case, but that doesn't mean they're bad. Billy Corgan's voice basically sounds like an angry robot. I don't know how to describe it any other way. He's one of the distinct voices you have to hear to get. // 8

Overall Impression: While on the whole I don't think it's as good as Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie is two Cd's of mostly good songs, with a few songs that are absolutely great. I think of it like Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" in the sense of having some of the band's best songs and some of their worst, but even while some of the songs on here just aren't all that great, they're still at least good to hear every once in a while, and with those few exceptions aside this album is stocked with great songs. // 9

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness Reviewed by: disconnected, on september 25, 2003

Sound: Everything. Sad, happy, angry, heavy, light, love, destructive, constructive, this album delves into the depths of love and then flys back into heavy rock, only to sink into pyscedelia. This album is is a 2 and a half hour sledge hammer sympthony. // 10

Lyrics: Corgan proves himself a true poet with this album. His lyrics fit perfectly with the album. Nothing is trow away, everything has a deep meaning (if you want it to) The lyrics suit the music very well. Corgan's singing isn't exactly great, but his voice definetly has character, and he does suit his own music. // 10

Overall Impression: It's not often that I get really excited by an album. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is a diferent story. This album is in so many aspects perfect. It starts off with the instrumental, mellon collie. a freind of mine once described this as "the greatest piece of music ever written. It can make me sad, happy, angry, confused, relieved and calm all at once. A masterpiece" I have to agree with her. I don't think there has ever been as good an opening track as this. And then the real stuff hits you! The album is a double disc, which was a huge risk for the pumpkins to take in making it. you can litterally count the number of good rock double LPs on one hand. "the white album" "physical graffiti" "the wall" what else? (please don't be offended if i forgot a really REALLY good one) This one. Mellon collie (MC) is one of these greats. This is proven to us by the albums first lyrical song, "tonight tonight" this song is brilliant is so mnay aspects. It has an excellent guitar riff and lead bit, and has been orchestrated so effectively. This song is good enough to pursuede any non-believers. From here it moves through solid rock (bullet with butterfly wings, muzzle, zero,) to soft lamesnts such as "lily, my one and only", "By Starlight" "Farewell and Goodnight" "In the Arms of Sleep" and "Galapogos." The album hits its heaviest note with the mind blowing X.Y.U and it's trippiest moment with "Thru the eyes of Ruby." songs such as "1979" and "muzzle" also give it a catchy, poppy ring. This album is in my mind one of the greatest rock albums ever. Billy Corgan proved himself a truly great songwriter with this album, and the band proved to us all that the smashing pumpkins are the best rock band of the 1990's. // 10

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on june 29, 2004

Sound: Smashing Pumpkins were a very unique band. They were always creative in different areas of music. The sound is very creative. Disc One starts out with Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Then moves on To Tonight, Tonight which sounds like your living in a dream. Then the albulm mixes some hard guitar riffs from Billy Corgan and James Iha to more softer tracks like Porcelina. Disc 2 is softer than disc 1 which is a good thing. I think there were about 4 or 5 hard songs while the rest were soft. The band is able to make the soft songs sound really poetic. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics are original and poetic. Billy Corgan is one of the most creative lyricists of all time. He expresses his anger by using metaphors in some of the songs. His voice may turn some people off but I like it. The Lyrics with the sound are an excellent mix. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Smashing Pumpkins best albulm hands down. The band created a more unique poetic sense in a lot of the songs. The lyrics were very original. Smashing Pumpkins were one of the best bands in the 90's. Its a shame they broke up though. Im sure they would've revolutionized music. I think disc 1 is my favorite. Disc 2 is also good but I mostly listen to it during late night drives. Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness is worth the money. Buy it. // 10

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness Reviewed by: supergerbil, on december 25, 2007

Sound: The band has many different sounds on this album and all of them are good. There a re few new styles not featured on previous albums and I'm glad they're there. I really like the opening track, a piano ballad. Very different to most of their other stuff. The last tracks Farewell and Goodnight features all the members singing as is one of my favourites (I have 28 from this album). It is mainly rock with songs like zero, here is no why, jelly belly, bodies etc. but some sound a bit 'odd' like "Where Boys Fear To Tread". There are some other songs which I was unsure of styles from the accordion tunes of "We Only Come Out At Night" to the beautiful "Thirty Three". The song 'X.Y.U.' is probably the craziest song on the album featuring mumbling screams of random sounds by billy. The song 'Lily' sounded quite country and western-ish to me. Overall lots of sounds that are an innovation. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great on this album. In zero there is a great bit of circularity about emptiness. The lyrics match the music well and on songs such as 'Stumbeline' they are perfect and create a brilliant picture. They are great to listen to, and combined with billy corgan's unique singing style, they sound amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the earlier albums it has some similar tracks but a lot of new styles including a fair use of synths on some tracks. Songs like 1979 and beautiful would feel right at home on adore. All pumpkin albums are brilliant and it is just as good as any other album. The most impressive songs on the album are 'To Forgive' and 'Thru The Eyes Of Ruby'. 'To Forgive' is simply brilliant and features fantastic harmonies between voice and guitar. 'Thru The Eys Of Ruby' feautes such an amazing piano introduction and swirling guitar intro that when the main chord sequence comes in it just blows you away. I love everything about it from the organic-ness of some songs to the variety of styles. I don't hate anything about it. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again and keep it safe. // 10

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness Reviewed by: board_inferno, on march 28, 2005

Sound: This album is a perfect soundtrack to life and Smashing Pumpkins new this when they published the 2 disc album with the titles "Dawn To Dusk" and "Twilight To Starlight." The album sounds so original with crisp chilled out songs and gritty heavy songs, the way the songs run into each other and change moods so immediatly is a highlight of this album because it fits, this is noticable when "Tonight, Tonight" meets with the epic "Jellybelly" then youll find you have yourself the album! // 10

Lyrics: Billy Corgan hits home with gloomy and reflective lyrics that shows himself in true form and adds his vocal talent of having a scarred voice that has the impression of jazz music where "it doesn't go right but it fits perfectly!" He gives the songs a mystical and dream like feel thats so soar but lucid at the same time. // 10

Overall Impression: I love listening to the second CD at night because it is so calming and soothing that its what doctors should give for a good nights sleep, where as the first album is the "fury" CD that makes you feel much better when your angry. The greatest songs on the album would be Zero, JellyBelly, Where Boys Fear To Tread, Bodies, XUY, Tonight, Tonight and 1979. If this album were stollen I would cut off the guys fingers, or buy it again, deffinently! If you don't already have this album I insist you should get it because its a landmark in rock history. // 10

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness Reviewed by: GuitarGuitar, on july 01, 2006

Sound: This is the Smashing Pumpkins greatest work along with Siamese Dream. This album has everything that you could ever want in an album from dreamy soft songs like "Tonight, Tonight" and literaly insane songs like "X.Y.U". Just about everysong on this record has something new to offer music and I think it is one of the greatest records of all time. // 10

Lyrics: I don't realy listen to the lyrics that closely but I believe they are song universal that you dont have to. Billy Corgan is definatly one of the best musicians ever even if he is slightly insane (40 guitar track on "Soma" from Siamese Dream). His singing skills are superb. My faforite track for singing is definatly "X.Y.U" because Billy sounds like he has gone insane with rage. It sounds like he is trying to hold his words back but they are just so power and seething that they eventualy come out. Definatly the most moving song I've ever heard. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I have said before this is one of the bands and rock music in general's best albums. The on smashing pumkins album that compares is Siamese Dream. Stand outs tracks are Mellon Collie And The Infinant Sadness, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Zero, X.Y.U, Stumbleine, 1979. But the whole album is magnificent. This album is perfect in every way and I would buy it a thousand times if it was lost or stolen. // 10

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness Reviewed by: AgainsTheMirror, on july 14, 2006

Sound: One reason the Pumpkins are so great is becuase of the unique sound and atmosphere they create. The guitars also creates a unique trance that shapes the music. The songs are also very varied. You can go from the melodic Tonight, Tonight to the heavily distorted storm of guitar strings on Jellybelly in a quick transformation. Even in certain songs parts of them sound totally different. Corgan truly has shown himself as one of the elites in music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are truly stunning. Corgan can wrap the words around the music perfectly never making a bad song only great ones. Corgan is the best lyricist of the '90s. Not really much to say about the lyrics but amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: I was blown away by this album. Truly one of the best along withe SiameseDream. There are so many epic songs on here like "Thru The Eye's Of Ruby" and "X.Y.U". The hits on this album are truly breathtaking too. "Bullet With Butterfly Wings," "Jellybelly," "Tonight, Tonight," "Muzzle" and "Zero." If this were lost or stolen I would run out and buy again as soon as it happened. But I wouldn't let it happen anyway. // 10

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness Reviewed by: Dr. Metal Head, on october 19, 2006

Sound: The Smashing Pumpkins may not be for everyone, but on this CD I think everyone can find atleast one song they enjoy or like. You might ask why this is, it's because of how much time and effort the band put into this CD and the 28 songs on it, it's because they love music and wanted to do something not only original, but great. They are an alternative band and really play all kinds of music, they have guitars, drums, bass, pianos and other cool effects that not only add to the audio, but they add to the very feel and nature of each song. You won't find one song on here that sounds like another on this album and that's because each one is special and was given a lot of time to make the song as good as it could be. It's not easy to describe The Smashing Pumpkins, but if you had to use words I'd say that the best two would be, 'unique' and 'original' because they are so different from everyone and that's a very good thing. One of the reasons that the music is so good and unique is thanks to Billy Corgan. Not to say that all the other members aren't great, but Billy is really the one behind a lot of their ideas and really brings the band to a higher level than they would be. Being able to let out his emotions, Billy really adds to the quality of each song on not only this album, but every one of their albums. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics off of Mellon Collie are some of the deepest and most thought provoking words that you could ever hear. There are so many elements and issues that are dealt with and it's interesting to hear how they end up and each one is really just a small story of a huge picture in the end. Not everyone likes Billy Corgan's voice, but I personally do and it fits so well with The Smashing Pumpkins that no one could ever replace him. His talents at not only writing these beautiful lyrics, but at singing them with so much emotion and feeling are incredible. I know this has been said before, but without him The Smashing Pumpkins wouldn't be the same and nowhere near as good as they are with him. He can go from singing in a normal toned voice, to screaming at the top of his lungs, all the way down to almost a whisper and that just covers one song. It's truly amazing at how his voice sounds good and perfectly fit no matter what the song calls for and thanks to the deep lyrics, his voice is all the more interesting to listen to and no one could pull it off like he does. A very skilled singer isn't always easy to find, so I know that having Billy makes the Pumpkins very happy. // 10

Overall Impression: If I were to compare this with any of their other albums, it really wouldn't be fair, because each album is different and it's own strengths and weaknesses. The sound of course is consistent and if you liked their earlier work or even some of their later work then you'll probably like this one quite a bit. Out of the 28 songs that span the two discs it's hard to pick only a few that I enjoy, because except for maybe two at the most I love every single song on here. Each is perfect for a different mood and a lot of them can even change the mood that you're in, just by listening to them. Like I've said before, this is a great CD and a lot of that comes from the care for each song and the emotions that were put in each and every song. I love that it's so original and that nothing sounds like it, I love the interesting guitar work and the verying styles and levels that are used. A few songs, a very few songs and a few other things keep this from being a perfect CD, but in my opinion I don't think there is one. For the most part I like heavier bands and albums, but Mellon Collie is something special and that will probably atleast get you interested in hearing the rest of the CD, no matter what type of music you generally listen to. You might not like the whole album, or you might not even like more than one song, but this CD could really make anyone listen to it atleast once. This is one of my favorite CDs and it's because of how well it was done, this is a true masterpiece and I don't say this about many albums, but I would buy this again if anything ever happened to it. Even if you don't like this type of music, you can atleast give it a chance, because you just never know. // 10

More Smashing Pumpkins reviews rating latest review