Rotten Apples: Greatest Hits Review

smashing pumpkins: Rotten Apples: Greatest Hits
Released: Apr 27, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge, Indie Rock
It's all their hit stuff that you crank up on your drive home, but it's also a lot of unreleased goodies that give you something new and spectacular to listen to.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.8
 9.6
 9.9
Rotten Apples: Greatest Hits Reviewed by: TyBo123, on november 10, 2004

Sound: I'm not going to lie I am a big Pumpkins fan. The bands sound is outstanding, it is very clear and some of the songs can easily get stuck in your head. Billy Corgan has some simple yet effective riffs and same with the drummer. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are also superb. Since Billy Corgan is the singer thats what you would expect, considering he is now making a poetry book or something like that. The lyrics go with the music also because when the music picks up the lyrics pick up with it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an awesome album. If you have heard any of the pumpkins songs you should pick this cd up. Since it is their greatest hits it includes: Cherub Rock, Today, Disarm (A Killer In Me), Landslide, Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Rat In A Cage), 1979, Zero, Tonight Tonight, and finally Ava Adore. I love the rhythm of the cd, the lyrics everything. Too bad the pumpkins broke up because after this cd I am suddenly a huge fan. I definitely recommend this cd. // 10

Rotten Apples: Greatest Hits Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2005

Sound: The Smashing Pumpkins sound is amazing. They can take simple, yet catchy riffs, put it together with incredible lyrics, and make incredible songs. // 9

Lyrics: Beautiful, heartfelt lyrics. Billy Corgan has a knack for writing moving songs, and songs that I can relate to. He also has a great voice. He doesn't have the typical everyday voice. He has a unique voice, that can be powerful and harsh, but then smooth and whisper-like. // 9

Overall Impression: This album compares to all of their previous albums, because it is their greatest hits, and contains a bit of each album. My favourite songs are Drown, Cherub Rock, Today, Disarm, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Zero and Stand Inside Your Love. What annoys me is that there are a lot of amazing songs that didn't get on the album, such as Bodies, An Ode to No One, Geek USA and Jelly Belly. Never the less, this album contains fabulous songs. I definately reccomend buying this album. // 9

Rotten Apples: Greatest Hits Reviewed by: haunted_soul, on october 10, 2005

Sound: This is the final official release from the masters of 90's alternatice rock The Smashing Pumpkins so crank your stereos up to full and get ready to rock! The Pumpkins are based on the idea of 'loud and quite music all in one'. This idea comes off perfectly through Billy Corgan's (lead singer/guitarist) melodic and effective riffs and Jimmy Chamberlain's (drummer) powerful drum beats. The CD is a collective works of 1991-2000 containing 18 songs, from their first CD 'Gish' through to their last 'Machina/The Machines Of God' and 2 bonus previously unrealesed tracks! // 10

Lyrics: This is Billy Corgan we're talking about here folks! He is one of the greatest modern lyricists of our day and this CD is no exception. From the ballads to the grungey distorted songs, his ability to write lyrics so beautiful that you just have to stop and listen to what he has to say is no excetion here! Highlights are Siva, Rhinocerous, Cherub Rock, Today, Disarm, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, 1979, Zero, Tonight, Tonight, Ava Adore, Perfect, The Everlasting Gaze & Stand Inside Your Love. // 10

Overall Impression: As a collection of their greatest hits I must say I was expecting a little more, but nether the less it's a must for any Pumpkins' fan or fan of this kind of music. There are so many more Pumpkin songs that could have gone on this album from such epic CD's as 'Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness' and 'Siamese Dream' but sadly we're not included. As a Pumpkin'head yes, I'd buy it if it was stolen but if you're getting into the band I say go buy MCIS or SD. // 9

More Smashing Pumpkins reviews rating latest review