Siamese Dream Review

9.5
 9.4
 9.5
Siamese Dream Reviewed by: localHIMsp03, on december 03, 2003

Sound: You just can't get any more alternative than this. This is one of the best records I've ever heard. Billy Corgan also played most of the instruments on the album which you can tell, and this also pissed his bandmates off pretty bad. The guitar solos and the soft/loud concepts are just amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Billy Corgan is a jeenyus when it comes to lyrics. This is him at his prime, with songs like "Cherub Rock" "Quiet" "Today" "Hummer" (which is my favorite), "Disarm", "Geek USA", "Mayonaise" and of course "Silverf*ck". "Today is the greatest, day i've ever known, can't wait for tomorrow..." // 10

Overall Impression: This compares to their other works as their best, because of Mellon Collie's sometime drifting atmosphere. This cd keeps you hooked in until the end, and never fails to impress. Geek USA is definitely the most impressive guitar song, with chunky riffs and really strong drumming. Disarm is the best lyrically, and was a huge hit because of this. I can say I don't hate anything about this record, except maybe they could have added one more harder song near the end. Yes I would buy it if it stolen, in fact mine is scratched so I'll probably end up buying a new one eventually. This record is definitely one of, if not the best, alternative album of the nineties. (Pearl Jam "ten" and all RATM records are up there with it). I'd also like to say that this record inspires me and I constantly listened to it when I was at my friend's house playing Doom. His older brother had a Tonight Tonight, OK computer and Nirvana poster, which i think is cool that i look back on it. The record pretty much shaped my childhood and it's amazing. So go and buy it. // 10

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on september 01, 2006

Sound: I would think that most Smashing Pumpkin fans consider "Siamese Dream" the band's finest and most consistent album. It's not all that different than "Gish," just an improvement in every way. The instrumental work, lyrics, and overall song quality are quite extraordinary. As everyone knows, probably the most remarkable thing about the band (Billy Corgan really, since he writes almost all of the songs by himself) is their ability to rock hard, play soft, and even become theatrical, sometimes all in the same song. Three of my favorite hard rocking Pumpkin classics are "Cherub Rock," "Quiet," and "Geek USA," just perfect songs with that signature thrumming bass and rhythm guitar sound, and the relentless Jimmy Chamberlin on drums. "Today" proves that Corgan can pen a more pop-oriented hit when he wants to. "Disarm," probably one of the band's best songs, showcases Corgan's theatrical proclivities, almost bombastic at times (we would hear much more of this style on the band's next album). Other (perhaps less obvious) standouts are "Rocket" and "Mayonaise." // 8

Lyrics: Like I said, Billy does most of the work by himself. That's is very amazing to me. He can sing them just as well as he can write them. He fuses metal and grunge in his music and it really brings out a unique vocal style. I wouldn't say he the best of the grunge vocalists or lyricists, but he isn't the worst either. All in all, I have a huge amount of respect for Billy Corgan and his work in Smashing Pumpkins, Zwan, and his solo efforts. He is a really talented guy. // 9

Overall Impression: Not much needs to be said about the sophomore Pumpkins' effort; it's in every fashion a timeless classic and one of the greatest early Nineties wonders. Really, it's a bit underrated in the world of Nineties alternative, undermined by fellow '93 releases In Utero and Vs. I can't explain why, but I think Dark Side of the Moon every time I hear this album. Maybe because it's so subdued and ahead of its time and it expresses incredible confidence for a sophomore release, muck like Pink Floyd's biggest seller. Or it could be that's it's just that damn good. Look beyond the massive radio hits Cherub Rock, Today, and Disarm and you'll find Hummer, Geek USA and an overlooked grungy epic 'Quiet' to be just as satisfactory as the singles. Could you just imagine if this masterpiece was released today? It'd be like a new version of The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show for the first time. As highly as I praise Vs., Siamese Dream made my best of '93 vote pretty obvious. // 9

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: GuitarGuitar, on july 03, 2006

Sound: This album is one of the most perfectly crafted albums I have every herd. From the open riff of "Cherub Rock" to the beatiful love song "Luna". The songs on this album combbines elements of rock, grunge, psychedelia, and metal to vreate a truly unique song. Just about every song has a soaring guitar solo and a chorus full of densly layered, fuzzy guitars. If you only have one album for the rest of your life this is it! // 10

Lyrics: Againt Billy Corgan opens the door to us into his own world. The lyrics on this album are truly amazing. One of my favorite songs is Today which songs like a sweet song and the lyrics are disguesed by the way Billy sings them, but if actualy listen to what he is saying "Today is the greatest day I've ever known, can't live for tommorow, tommorows much to long" he is singing about suicide. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Arguably The Smashing Pumpkins' best album along with Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. There are no best songs on this album it's like one song and the Greatest song ever written. This album is so complexly layer and diverse you can listen to it anytime and not get bored. If it was lost/stolen I would buy it again but I would not let it get stolen in the first place! // 10

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: valentinezxifax, on november 13, 2007

Sound: One word to describe the sound of Siamese Dream: epic. Truely epic. The sound is the best thing about Siamese Dream. Corgan's layering of guitars, making a swirling distortion, sounds absolutely mind blowing. If you've ever listened to My Bloody Valentines "Loveless", you would know exactly what I mean. The sound is so original and the production is flawless. It seriously sounds like a wall of sound. Nothing is louder than anything else. Everything stands out. From track to track you hear every note picked and that is not a common thing. This really is the best sounding album I've ever heard. Butch Vig and Billy Corgan work very well together. Although Corgans playing style isn't truely innovative, he is a superb guitarist. Vastly underated. The quiet guitar solo in "Soma" is some of the most beautiful noise on the album. In the end, it's Corgans use of layering that makes the album sound so great. // 10

Lyrics: I personally loved the lyrics on Siamese Dream, and I say personally because they really hit me on a personal level. Songs like "Hummer" with Corgan screaming, "Yeah, I want something new, but what I am supposed to do, about you, yeah, I, love you, it's true", are some of the best on the album. Corgan shifts a lot in his lyrics though. One song he'll be praising love, and the next he'll say how much he resents love. But that's what he does best. Billy's voice, I always thought, is beautiful as well. His voice is truely unique in every way. His nasal to his yell to his scream. Everything about it is amazing. It may take time to get used to, but let it sink in and his voice will be stuck in your head all day. // 10

Overall Impression: This is no mere album. Siamese Dream is an experience. No other Smashing Pumpkins album compares to this. Siamese Dream is the Smashing Pumpkins magnum opus. It will consume you, if you let it. Track by track, every song is intense. From the blazing riff of "Cherub Rock", to the drowning fuzz of "Hummer", and to the peaceful end of "Luna". I can't say one track is better than another. At some point, every one of these songs will be your favorite song (mine currently is "Silverf--k"), and that has shifted many times over. I could not live without this album. It has impacted my life so much, that just thinking about it makes me tear up and almost cry. For the past 6 years I've listened to this entire album everyday, and it just gets better every time. If it was lost, I would most definetly buy another one. Of course. Hell, I'll buy 20 copies and hand them out. This is one of the greatest albums of all time, surely the best of the '90s, and deserves to heard by anyone interested enough to take on something new. // 10

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 01, 2012

Sound: Late 90s and early 00s there were a lot Nirvana-, Alice In Chains- and Pearl Jam-sounding bands (Bush, Staind, Godsmack, Puddle Of Mudd, Nickelback and so on and so on); Soundgarden transformed into Audioslave and then faded. However, none of the major label "hardy-riding" rock bands of that time ever been compared to the Smashing Pumpkins. Were they that original? - "Siamese Dream" might be an answer. Recorded in early 1993 over a period of three months in Atlanta, with Butch Vig again at the helm (as it was for 1991's debut LP "Gish"), production costs over 200, 000$, tensions within band at the time (frontman's Billy Corgan suffering from depression and writer's block, Jimmy Chamberlin's drug addiction, James' and D'Arcy's nasty breakup) - all that resulted in 13 tracks on the cut and, probably, the best Pumpkins' work. Passive/aggressive approach keen to "Gish" is all here, the album rides high ("Quiet", "Geek USA", "Silverf--k") and low ("Disarm", "Soma", "Luna"), while "Today", "Hummer" and "Mayonaise" definitely stand out. The best word to describe the record's mood is "dreamy" - resembling a hot-summer-day-laying-in-the-sun-with-that-fresh-breeze-through-the-open-window-blowing-slowly-in-your-face feel. Multi-track guitar layering was again used for "Siamese Dream" by Billy and Butch, helping to keep that dreamy feel going. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrical content has greatly improved since their debut LP, with Corgan's lyrics becoming more introspective and thoughtful, as opposed to the surreal "Siva" and "Window Paine" from "Gish". "Disarm" is about "shaky relationship I had with my parents while growing up" (B. Corgan), "Today" (despite having such an upbeat positive melody) is about suicidal thoughts actually, "Cherub Rock" touches the themes of an indie band becoming a major label success and being "somebody's fool this year". "Spaceboy" is a tribute to Billy's seriously ill brother, Jesse. // 8

Overall Impression: Rolling Stone wrote, that "Siamese Dream" was "closer to progressive rock than to punk or grunge". Really, it's a weird mix of My Bloody Valentine, Black Sabbath and psychedelic pop melodies, that somehow works. "Today", "Disarm", "Hummer", "Mayonaise" and "Geek USA" are the best cuts, with music video for "Today" being one of the most unconventional, yet still spectacular rock videos of the '90s. While discussing the Smashing Pumpkins, Billy was quoted on saying, that "we're a difficult band to love. Or we're worth it?" They're sure worth it. And yeah, if my copy of Siamese Dream was stolen/lost, I'd get another one from the store. Definitely maybe. // 8

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: talesofblarg, on december 08, 2003

Sound: If you are a guitar player and have never heard this album, you are completing missing out on the best album of the 90's. This album is full of Billy Corgan's amazing skill at what he does best. He rights amazing songs that are amazing. We goes from a all out rocker (chreub rock), to a poppy altenative (today) to in classical piece with an string essembly backing him. The sound on this album is nothing less than superb. // 10

Lyrics: I don't think the lyrics could have been any other way. He put 100% in every song he wrote on this album. The lyrics fit more than perfectly. Most people cringe hearing billy's voice but he growns own you after a while. // 10

Overall Impression: Simply Amazing. It is by far my favorite album of the 90's. If you're a fan of any type of grunge or alternative, I suggest you find this album fast. You will definitely be blown away. // 10

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: mojo-pin, on december 29, 2003

Sound: This album is just amazing. The mix of so many genres has made an interesting and innovative sound. This has album has it all, gigantic guitar solos, multi-layered rhythmn parts, epic compositions and billy corgan's vocals top it all off. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very heartfelt and reflective. Billy Corgan's lyrics very often have severe indictments to his family and friends. For example the song 'spaceboy' is about Corgan's brother who is in a wheelchair. If you bother to take the time or listen to the lyrics carefully it is apparent that Corgan is a tremendous lyricist and a true alternative music legend. // 10

Overall Impression: Siamese Dream is one of the greatest alternative rock records of all time. It is hard to judge it against any other smashing pumpkins album as all their albums are unique from the grandioseness of mellon collie and the infinite sadness too the stripped down songs and programmed beats of adore. But compared with the other albums by bands in that alternative rock scene of the 90's Siamese Dream easily is one of the best albums ever made standing shoulder to shoulder with such classics as Nevermind and Superunknown. // 10

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 07, 2005

Sound: The variety on this album is amazing. The changes in songs is still surprises me today from a grungey "Quiet" (ironic title for ya there), an acoustic "Disarm", a heavy "Geek USA", an anthemic "Today", a psychadelic "Soma". This album is packed with classics. Any one of them could be a single and be just as popular as the other. This album inspired me to pick up a guitar all those years ago and it's the best thing I've ever done. I'm listening to it as a type and it's just so awesome. Everything flows so perfect. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics. Ah, the sheer brilliance that we know as Billy Corgan (aka God). His cleverness of disguising lyrics to be of other emotions is brilliant. for example, on "Today": "Today is the greatest, day I've ever known", you'd think it was a happy line... nope, he's just symbolising that as... Because it couldn't get any worse"! I love the lyrics on here, whenever I'm depressed, lonely, bored, whatever it just perks me back up and makes me feel so good. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is almost certainly the best album ever made. All the other Pumpkins albums are genious yeah. But this just has a certain chemistry about it that makes it so brilliant. It's totally worth buying, and if it was stolen I'd probably go look on eBay for some sort of rare limited edition collectible, it's certainly worth a listen to at least in some respect. Overall, 11 out of 10, pure genius, worthy of anyone's collection and is my all time favourite album. // 10

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: afrothunder666, on september 10, 2005

Sound: Billy Corgan is one of the greatest songwriters in the world. He teams up with Jimmy Chamberlin (drums), James Iha (guitar), and D'Arey (bass) to create one of the most greatest albums of all time. The guitar solos fit very well inside the songs. They are also very well put together. The album in a mixture of rock, alternative, and some grunge. There are a few slow tracks like: Soma (one of my favorites), Luna, Disarm, and Spaceboy. There are also a lot of the hard rocking stuff for example: Cherub Rock (the coolest song ever), Quiet, Geek USA. The album is produced by Butch Vig (who also worked with Nirvana). // 10

Lyrics: Billy Corgan's lyrics are pretty staright forward. His lyrics flow with the music pefectly. His voice and be very grainy at times, but it is a nice sounding grainy voice. His voice can range from the grainy-throaty scream to a soft slur. Billy Corgan is very talented when it comes to lyrics and singing. // 10

Overall Impression: Siamese Dream is an album that I can sit down and listen to comfortably. The opener of the album, Cherub Rock, is perfect for the intro song. It opens up the album very well. The album stays on it's rock instincts until Disarm comes around with it's acoustic chords. After Disarm ends, the soft song, Soma rolls on in. The album becomes more and more softer as it progresses. The album ends on a positive note with Luna. I loved the soft songs throughout the whole CD. If it were stolen/lost I would try and get another one. It is worth buying. // 10

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: liberator, on september 20, 2005

Sound: Smashing Pumpkins sound is something special, no one have really done anything like it. That can be good but sometimes it's not, bacause when you try not to sound like everybody ells you dosen't always do your best. Some. One or two songs on this album falls in that trap, I will not say which because I want the reader to listen and get an own opinion. Every song is a different style of music. Some songs have heavy distorstion and Billy Corgan put on a harder voice while some songs are very soft and Corgan almost whispers the lyrics. // 10

Lyrics: Corgan is one of this world's best songwriters! The lyrics and the music match perfectly and even if Corgan isn't a very good singer his voice sounds good with the music and the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Smashing Pumpkins and presumably this worlds best album. I haven't heard anything that can compare to this. It's just great! Eveything Corgan writes come directly from his heart and every song have something important to say. All the song are really good but if I have to choose I say Mayonaise, Spaceboy and Hummer. I love this album because you dont have to be in a special mood to listen to it, you can be angry, sad, happy and any other mood there is. // 10

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2005

Sound: The Smashing Pumpkins are incredible. Siamese Dream is an incredible sounding album, and one that I could not stop listening to. From the moment I heard Cherub Rock, which is the first track on this album, I became a fan. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics off the songs are extremely deep, such as, Today and Quiet. I liked the way the lyrics of Today and Rocket contrasted with the music; until I completely listened to the lyrics, I regarded them as happy songs, because of the ice-cream truck sound of Today, and the rocket-like sound of Rocket. This gives off the impression that people can put on a front and be fake, but deep down they're unhappy. Billy Corgan is a talented singer and guitarist. His voice can be harsh and loud, then suddenly become quiet and soft, in the same song alone, and Cherub Rock is an example of this. // 9

Overall Impression: I also own a copy of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, which is just as superb. My favourite songs off Siamese Dream are Cherub Rock, Quiet, Today, Disarm and Geek USA. I love the title, and the fact that it seems to have been taken from the lyrics of Geek USA. My pet peeves of Siamese Dream are the softer songs; I prefer the blaring, in-your-face songs, and also the fact that there are no explanations behind the lyrics. The lyrics of each song have a meaning, and I'd love to know what they are. If it was stolen or lost, I would definately buy it again. This album is one of the best I've listened to. // 9

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: AgainsTheMirror, on july 14, 2006

Sound: This album is the cream of the crop. Sound is incredibly original and fluctuates from a quiet whisper to a screaming guitar. The songs Today, Disarm, Cherub Rock, Geek USA, and Rocket aren't the only reason this album is so highly reveered. All the songs are uniquely arranged, sound beautiful, and can wrap a blanket around you're mind. There sound can never be copied. Their authenticity and effort shows. truly a rock fans most prized possesion. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics - masterpeices, Corgan - master of lyrics. Truly a superb writer who can weave his words into your head and nail them in there to make the experience all the more majestic. // 10

Overall Impression: Impressed? Most definetly. Rest assured this is the best album of the '90s in my opinion allong with MCIS and Nirvana's Nevermind. I truly adore everything about it. the guitarwork is simply beatiful, the lyrics and Corgan's voice fit perfectly in the songs, Jimmy's drums are always a joy, and D'arcy's bass fits right in nicely. To wrap it up I would want to kill myself if I lost it becuase it's so awesome and I'm kinda lazy but I would get off my ass to get it so there (and if you know me, you know how dangerously lazy I am so that's a big deal). // 10

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: larry jones, on september 11, 2006

Sound: The Smashing Pumpkins have developed a sound that is comparable to that of Boston or ELO through complex song structures and layered guitars that are reminiscent of the '70s. Billy Corgan leads the group with his undeniably talented song writing as the Pumpkins grow to a whole new level of stardom with their second full length album, Siamese Dream. The guitar work sounds similar to that of Gish's, yet there are undeniable amounts of hooks and catches that weren't present on Gish. Siamese Dream succeeds in it's refreshing sound that at times is very psychadelic and complex in a league all it's own. The Pumpkins know how to make good music, and this album is undoubtably their best work (in terms of musical prowess and ability). // 10

Lyrics: Billy Corgan has been known to show off a very distinct voice unlike any musician ever. Corgan's voice is at times haunting, at other times chilling, but is always successful at meeting the level necesssary to compete with the Cobains and Vedders of his time. Corgan shows off his voice more so on Siamese Dream than on Gish, but doesn't sound nasally or as annoying as on Mellon Collie. Corgan's songwriting ability is undeniably impressive, and each song is filled with deep and mysterious lyrics about our world today and the stories that fill it. Siamese Dream succeeds as an album in terms of it's lyrical content, as well. // 9

Overall Impression: Siamese Dream is the most impressive album of the phenominal Pumpkins' catalogue. This is a musically-sound musician's choice, which is a great buy for those who enjoy rocking as well as those who prefer listening and transpiring on the content of this album. Corgan and the group were getting together very well at this point, and it strongly reflects how the Pumpkins were one of, if not the, best grunge bands of all time. This is undeniably one of the five best albums of the' 90s, and is an instant classic among all rock musicians. Simply put, you must by this album if you love '90s music at all. Heck, buy it if you don't like '90s music. Just buy it, because of it's lasting importance on the alternative music scene. // 10

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: Tster, on april 16, 2007

Sound: An orginal sound which is really doing the band really good. My impession was that it was slightly 'spacey' rock. The music is a kind of rock with the 'smashing pumpkins' twist to it. This might just be their best album. It's really well done. Smashing Pumpkins is an amazing band and this album proves all that. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics I guess aren't the most orginal if your talking about the topic they are on about but the they use them is amazing, Billy and D'arey have amazing voices. Their voice jumps straight into the song itself causing an amazing song. My overall impression of the lyrics is great. Their voices mix well with the song and their skill is amazing. // 7

Overall Impression: Smashing Pumpkins will always be one of the best bands to ever to slam this world with their music but there is better. This is most likely their best album; straight out. The more impressive songs have got to be Cherub Rock, Today, Hummner, actually the whole album it top class. I love the sound and feeling you get when you hear these guys. I would 100% buy it again if it was lost or stolen. // 8

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: VLVTRVOLVR13, on august 17, 2007

Sound: Sound is not an easily described essence of any Smashing Pumpkins album, for not only does it change from album to album, but every song has a unique feel and sonic trait that makes it distinguishable from every other track. The follow up to Gish, Siamese Dream is a very "hard rock" Many of the tracks are straight up in your face rock as oppossed to some of the more artistic or ballad type tracks on an album like Mellon Collie. The album is full of awesome riffs, from the classic Cherrub Rock build up, to the aggresive Geek USA, to the more mellodic Rocket and back to full throtle energy on Silver F--k. Stylistically, Siamese Dream can be, in my opinion, considered one of the best alternative rock albums of the 90s, and certainly the best of the Smashing Pumpkins. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrist and lead guitarist Billy Corgan delivers some stunning vocals on this album. As a singer, Corgan is renown for the range in his singing. From silent whispers to screams of anger, Corgan beautifully accompanies every song with his voice and lyrics. Lyrically, Corgan sings cryptically, masking the true meanings of many of his songs behind vague lyrics. Never the less, it is the mysticism of his meanings that intrigues many listeners. A romantic, many of Corgans songs draw inspiration from love, hardship, and over coming lifes obstacles. // 9

Overall Impression: The 90s rock scene was a dramatic change from that of the '80s. Nirvana became a raging commercial success with Nevermind, so much that a lot of great music produced by many bands is sometimes over looked and brushed aside. Siamese Dream made an impressive stand and put the Smashing Pumpkins into the public's eyes. The classic songs from this record include Cherrub Rock, Today, Geek USA, Mayonnaise, and Silver f--k. But in my opinion every song is an incredible master piece. I love the differences in every song, truly creative and awesome music. The Pumpkins best and masterpiece of it's own! // 9

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: DanBLON00, on july 11, 2008

Sound: This is probably my all-time favorite album. It has such a great sound to. Some songs can be like headbanging grunge songs, while others can be like relaxing mellow alternative songs. 01. Cherub Rock - a nice opener to the album, has a nice alternative/grunge sound to it, It's really good song. 02. Quiet - not really one of my favorites, but it's still a pretty good song, it also has a alternative/grunge sound to it. 03. Today - this is was probably one of the biggest commercial hits from the album, but it's still a great song, kinda short though, but still one of my favs. 04. Hummer - this is a pretty instresting song, it opens up with a distorted sitar loop, and the drums come in with a wierd sound to it but it's still good, it's one of my favs but not like my all-time fav. 05. Rocket - this song has a real good song to it, with all the layers of guitar makes it sound real great, deffanitly one of my favs. 06. Disarm - this song was also a big commercial hit, it has some of the greatest lyrics in album, and a really great sound to it. 07. Soma - this a really mellow song, but has a great distortion burst and a great solo, it kindaeminds me of the song "Rhinoceros" from Gish, but this is one of the stand-out songs in the album. 08. Geek U.S.A. - this song is definitly one of the headbanging grunge songs, this song has probably the most impresive guitar and drumming in the album, it's just a totally awesome song, definitly one of my favs. 09. Mayonaise - this in my opinion is the best song on the entire album, it has an awesome mellow alternative sound to it, it also has a sad feeling to it, but overall this is song is amazing. I have no idea why they called it Mayonaise though. 10. Spaceboy - a really kinda touching song about Billy's brother, Jesse, and how he was rejected because of his disabilities, it's a pretty good song. 11. Silverf--k - a really heavy song with a mellow sorta creepy sounding break-down, and thne blasts back into the heavy sound, one of my favs on the album and one of my favs to play on guitar. 12. Sweet Sweet - probably my least favorite song and the weirdest on the album, it's really short and mellow, but yeah it's an ok song. 13. Luna - the last song on the album, and probably the mellowest song on the album, it's kinda short, but it's still a good song, it's a nice way to end the album. The sound to this album is amazing, all the songs are great, the sound is one and only, really. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are sung great by Billy Corgan and very well written by him as well. All the songs have really great lyrics in them they're really poetic, and filled with emotion. Billy's lyric writing really stands out in Disarm, Cherub Rock, Today, Mayonaise, Spaceboy, Soma, and Rocket. The lyrics really make you think, they just make the album great. // 10

Overall Impression: Yeah I definitly give this album a 10, from it's sound, lyrics, and everything it's all amazing! This was my first Smashing Pumpkins album and when I first listened to it I didn't quite fully appresiate it, but after listening to some more and figuring out what the lyrics meen made me love this album! This album is definit must-buy for any Smashing Pumpkins fan, even if you just like playing Cherub Rock in Guitar Hero, I still suggest you to get this album, because that's how I discovered Smashing Pumpkins, lol. If I ever lost this album or it got too scrated up to play, I would defanitly buy it again, this album is The Smashing Pumpkins at their best, thanks to this album, I'm now a hard-core fan and I own all of their albums, even Machina 2! So yes, defanitly buy this album! // 10

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: Bambi Slaughter, on june 09, 2009

Sound: The sound of this album is undeniably amazing, and captivating. It's one of those albums that you would like to bring with you out into a huge open field on a really nice day in the summer and just lay around in a hammock and listen to it. The record kicks off with "Cherub Rock" which boosts you into thoughts of saying "this album is really going to kick ass". Though songs on the album feature serious topics such as "Spaceboy", written about a friend of Corgan who passed away, and "Today" which features thoughts of suicide by Corgan, they remain probably one of the best and most musically uplifting songs on the album. Amazing tracks like "Mayonaise", "Disarm" and "Soma" pull you into a trance of psychedellic, groovy, shoegaze-esque grunge. An absolute masterpiece and inspiring work of art. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep, motivating and harmonic, they reflect well with the overall tone and voice of the song itself, both musically and poetically. Billy Corgans unique vocal style adds to the unconventional nature of the album, as well as its overall ambiance. The song "Today" features an unusually happy tone for a more serious song on the album, being as it is about Corgans suicidal tendencies. Though it remains a masterpiece. Truly incredible. // 10

Overall Impression: My personal favorite from the Pumpkins. It is raw, powerful, entrancing, and musically rich. One of the more underrated songs on the album that one should give a few listens to would be "Mayonaise" which features an amazingly wonderful harmony and slow-paced rich sound. I cannot find many flaws on this album, if any, even. The album is simply breathtaking. If it were stolen, I would hunt down the thief and shoot him in the face with a nailgun. If it was lost, I would buy another copy. This album is too good to pass up. An absolute MUST HAVE for any Smashing Pumpkins fan, or anybody interested in giving them a listen. This album is win. // 9

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: Jaded7, on april 02, 2010

Sound: Gish was a great album, but it was not one of those great groundbreaking alt-rock albums, nor were the Smashing Pumpkins a groundbreaking alt-rock band...yet. A few years later, they released Siamese Dreams, which was a groundbreaking alt-rock album...but still didn't establish the Smashing Pumpkins as one of the great alt-rock bands of the 90's. It took another album (Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness) to establish the band as one of the greats. However, Siamese Dream did show that the band was on their way and one hundred percent capable of being one of the greats. Siamese Dream starts out with the alt-rock anthem "Cherub Rock", which is by far the best song on the album (and is also my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song...along with being one of my favorite songs). It has an alternative/grunge vibe from the fuzzy guitars while also giving us some psychadellic feel to it a la Pink Floyd. Call it lame if you will, but the first minute of this song actually does sound like you yourself are climbing up a sacred mountain trying to reach the sacred Cherub Rock. I know, that last sentence is basically the result of playing too much Legend Of Zelda, but "Cherub Rock" does truly sound like that. It's just too epic for words to describe. The one thing about an album is that it's normally the first track that sets the tone for the rest of the album. But not in Siamese Dream's case. Sure, every track does have that fuzzy guitar sound, but none of them have the psychadellic sound "Cherub Rock" does. The rest of the album has a sound of its own. For example, "Quiet" is more of a hard rock/alternative metal song while "Disarm" is Billy Corgan's answer to the Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby" with all sorts of string instruments. The sound may seem random and scattered at first, but the diversity is truly the best part of the album. // 9

Lyrics: Let's face it: Billy Corgan's singing skills in Gish weren't that great. It's not that they were terrible, but they weren't exactly ready for primetime yet. However, that's not the case in this album. Billy Corgan's vocals aren't exactly perfect in Siamese Dream, but they have definitely improved since Gish. While his voice is still a tad nasally like it was in Gish, it does have a more majestic tone. As for the lyrics, they are definitely poetic. While I can't exactly say they rank among the lyrics written by Bob Dylan or John Lennon, they definitely do work with the overall tone of the album. // 7

Overall Impression: While Siamese Dream is not the greatest alternative rock album, it definitely ranks among them. It is an ambient spectacle of what the Smashing Pumpkins were capable of in their hey-day. It's majestic, hard, fuzzy, soft, mysterious, happy, sad, and anything else you can think of. // 9

Siamese Dream Reviewed by: Hammer-On-22, on june 07, 2013

Sound: This record has an overall sound that I don't think I have ever heard before. Everything sounds so full, and you never have the feeling where you think, "I wish they had put more (-) here." The heavy, distorted guitar on tracks like "Cherub Rock" and "Mayonaise" are examples. The drums on these tracks are also very defined and full. The use of strings combined with the other instruments on "Disarm" and "Spaceboy" is an innovation that I'd like to note, for it helps create one of the most subtle yet powerful blend of instruments I have ever heard. Another style that they used was hanging on the octave and using it for melody, like in "Mayonaise" and "Cherub Rock." It is no wonder that this album went way over the production deadline, and $250,000 over budget. It was definitely worth it. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are also something special. As mentioned before, everything blends so smoothly in this album, including the vocals. Whether it be a soft, passion-filled song like "Disarm" or one of the more fast-paced, driving, hardcore songs like "Geek U.S.A.," the vocals are always filled with emotion and blend with the music in perfect interludes. This being said, you can tell that melody/rhythm section parts may have been a priority over lyrics, as they definitely are held back a little on some tracks and have more lengthy spaces in the spaces between each verse. When you hear the lyrics, you will notice that it always seems Billy Corgan is addressing somebody. This adds great depth to each song, for it almost touches you in a different way, like you can really feel the meaning of each song. I find the lyrics to be another thing that really stand out on this album, and by no means lack any depth. Corgan has one of the most unique singing voices I have ever heard, and one may, upon first listen, think that his vocals belong nowhere near rock and roll music. It is just the opposite. Music is a creative window in which anyone with the highest-pitched voice can rock and where anyone with the grimiest voice can sing smooth jazz. I can't exemplify enough how well his voice goes with this dreampop, shoegaze alternative rock masterpiece that the Pumpkins created. // 9

Overall Impression: This is by far the Pumpkins' best album. They have not created another album with such fullness, diversity and creativity that has songs that sound like a ballad, a true rock and roll song with heavy guitars, and a lullaby all at once (though Gish comes close). I think this album stands up with other artists in the '90s, not to mention all time, and will not fail to gain recognition as one of the "classic" rock albums of the past (not that it already hasn't). Some of the most impressive songs are "Cherub Rock," for its catchy yet head-bangingly heavy melodic riffs, "Mayonaise" for its heavy, dreampop sound that almost puts me in a (pleasant) trance, and "Disarm" for the beautiful arrangement and emotional, powerful vocals. What I love about this album is the composition and full sound, which I have discussed. What I also love is that there's really nothing to hate about the album, unless you really don't like nineties rock. I love that the record has a little bit of everything to offer, and that if you like rock music, you will not be disappointed. I'd like to say that it is an understatement that I would buy this again is it were stolen/lost (a true nightmare), but it really doesn't make too much sense. You get the point though, that this album is worth ten replacements. If you came up with a list of the top ten defining albums in Alternative Rock, I would really not like to speak with you if you did not include "Siamese Dream" (if I did, it would be to talk some sense into you). // 9

More Smashing Pumpkins reviews rating latest review