Teargarden By Kaleidoscope Review

smashing pumpkins: Teargarden By Kaleidoscope
Released: Starting Dec 8, 2009
Genre: Alternative rock
Label: Martha's Music / Rocket Science
"Teargarden by Kaleidoscope" is the newest Smashing Pumpkins album, all of the 44 tracks will be released for free.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.3
 7.6
Teargarden By Kaleidoscope Reviewed by: Ir a+infinitive, on april 09, 2010

Sound: "Teargarden by Kaleidoscope" is the newest Smashing Pumpkins album, all of the 44 tracks will be released for free at www.smashingpumpkins.com over the next few years at four week intervals. My impression of the new album is that it could be the revival of the Smashing Pumpkins, with songs like "Song For a Son" "Widow Wake my Mind" and "A Stich In Time" the Pumpkins return to their roots. The album is based on the idea of the journey of life, base through four characters. Most of the album has an alternative rock sound to it with some touches of phychedelia. In my opinion this is going to be one of the greatest albums of all time. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics return to a very 90's Pumpkins style and are touching and inspiring like almost all of Corgan's literary works. The lyrics fit the music like almost nothing else I've ever heared and reassure me that the Pumpkins will never die. Corgans singing skills are incredible to say the least and everything he does ends up being a work of art. // 10

Overall Impression: This album competes with earlier Pumpkins albums such as Gish and Siamese Dream because it sounds very authentic and spacey, almost like you floating on clouds made of the genius behind Corgan's art. The most impressive songs so far would have to be "A Song For a Song" and "Widow Wake My Mind" because the venture into a style that sounds completely fresh and against the grain of the top 40 world that we live in. So far I love this album and cannot wait for more songs. If I lost thi album I would go back on the site and get it for free, I wouldn't have to buy it, thanks billy. // 10

Teargarden By Kaleidoscope Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 13, 2010

Sound: "Teargarden bY Kaleidoscope" is The Smashing Pumpkin's new album, which will have a finished product of 44 tracks, all released free on their website. They are also releasing the songs in groups of 4 as EP's. This review is of their first EP, "Songs For A Sailor." It can be easily said that these few songs are a return to the band's early endeavors such as the album "Gish", but as I listened carefully you can tell that Billy Corgan was trying this 1960's sound in the production of it all. "Song For A Son" sounds like something you've heard on your classic rock station. Corgan is also trying to state something with the two solos that ride the song by clouds of Nostalgia, that he is quite the "Guitar Hero." "Widow Wake My Mind" is the obvious, playful single with floaty keys and wonky "OHs." It wants to be a punk song I fricken swear, but it becomes, again, this 60's-ish song that glides us into the next and probably best track on the EP, "A Stitch In Time." This track is probably the most amazing thing that TSP has put out in quite some years. Corgan plays the sitar wonderfully, yet... // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of the song is like some Bob Dylan b-side. Kind of like a protest song. "A Stitch In Time" lyrically takes me on a journey by sailboat, disapproving of... Something haha. Corgan is trying to be, well, Corgan. WTF lyrics touching you somehow, on the verge of not even making sense, yet, being something you've been wanting to hear for years. I gotta say I love it. Even though "Song For A Son's" lyrics are kinda stupid, Corgan's conviction in what he is singing is what grabs you. He STILL sounds all nasally and all like he did in 1995, and he don't give a hoot. Its Billy. Being Billy. And he is on his A-game. // 7

Overall Impression: If your not going back to listen to "Song For A Son" for its solos, you've put "A Stitch In Time" on your iPod and it grew on you. I love this new Corgan, re-filled with a sense of adventure. I can't wait for the next 41 releases. "Willow Wake My Mind," meh. I suggest you go download these songs, they are amazing in every sense and may make you forget the Pumpkins of the 90s for just 10 minutes. // 9

More Smashing Pumpkins reviews rating latest review