Vultures Review

8.7
 8.8
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Vultures Reviewed by: stepco12345, on february 26, 2007

Sound: When I first heard the album, I thought it was the best album yet. There was still the same raw intensity and the powerful vocals, however, a new factor was introduced. This band has come back with an edge. The vocals shout out the emotion and the instruments do some talking as well. The instruments help convey the feeling the emotion that Sean is feeling. They provide great energy in the album and make it really enjoyable. The music is relatively cleaner on this album. The sound is more smooth and flowing. The experience is really heard and felt on this album. You can tell the band has worked on to produce a well articulated album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are well done on this album. The lyrics are dark, however creative. The lead singer expresses his feelings and beliefs well throughout the album. Sean expresses his feelings on religious aspects, the music industry and personal issues clearly and with strong emotion. The amount of swearing throughout the duration of the album is at times a little excessive and may not be needed. The lyrics match up quite well with the lyrics. The 'angrier' songs are played with a faster tempo and have an increase heaviness. The more saddening, personal lyrical songs on the album have a nice slow, smooth sound. Sean belts out the lyrics with the proper intensity. When the lyrics are angry and directing a point, Sean makes sure the point gets across with the delivery it deserves. // 9

Overall Impression: This album took a while to get into. I was at first attracted to only a few songs. I was not disappointed, however I did not become attracted to many of the the songs. After a couple more listens to the album, the songs grew on me and I began to listen to each song more and more. The songs began to appeal to me. This album is a major improvement from their previous album(s). They have become more fluent and their have changed their tone, just subtlety enough that it has caused a positive effect. The same aggression and intensity is still on the album and it is a definite a masterpiece of the post-grunge genre. // 9

More Smile Empty Soul reviews rating latest review