Thunder Review

smv: Thunder
Released: Aug 12, 2008
Genre: Jazz Fusion
Label: Heads Up International
Three of the world's finest and most respected bassists made their supergroup debut with the hour-long, funky and fun "Thunder".
 9.9
 9.7
Thunder Reviewed by: Kwyjibo2006, on august 17, 2009

Sound: It's time to crank the subs on your stereo. Last year, three of the world's finest and most respected bassists - Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten made their supergroup debut with the hour-long, funky and fun "Thunder". Most people thought SMV wouldn't work - you can't put three bassists like these together in a song without it just being a complete bass orgy, but SMV proves everyone wrong about a minute into the first track (right after the epic/cheesy intro). Throughout the album, one bassist will hold the main beat while the other two trade solos or play harmonies with ease. Each bassist gets their chances to shine, each plucking, thumping and strumming like there's no tomorrow. Marcus Miller's production on the album is astonishing, with each bassist being heard clearly along with the rest of the drums and keyboards, while still keeping the basses from sounding distorted. At some moments you can even hear their fingers glide through every groove in their strings. But perhaps the biggest achievement on the album is that they have somehow managed to fit arguably the three best jazz bassists in the world onto one album and not having it sound clutterred. Album highlights include: The six minute title track, the epic show-off riffs of "Thunder", "Los Tres Hermanos", which features some very nimble playing and probably the prettiest melody on the album, "Lopsy Lu-Silly Putty", a great reworking of the classic Stanley Clarke song, the simply astounding triplet trading and upright bass on "Milano", and the closing track "Grits", which is played as the final song on just about every concert the supergroup plays. SMV pulled off this album, flawlessly. 'Nuff said. // 10

Lyrics: The album contains no lyrics, but America's Got Talent's Butterscotch does appear on a few tracks to do some great beatboxing on the title track as well as "Pendulum". And really, the music speaks for itself, with the great harmonies and funky riffs showing that there really is no need for words. // 10

Overall Impression: "Thunder proved once again that Stanley Clarke is the legend, Marcus Miller the funky, multi-instrumentalist, and Victor Wooten as the true jazz virtuoso. These three are and will always (and in all ways) be the true titans of jazz bass. SMV pulled off this album, flawlessly. // 10

Thunder Reviewed by: Chrois, on august 18, 2009

Sound: The collaboration between Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten was originally conceived by Wooten, and after playing Clarke's "School Days" at a bass award ceremony, they seriously considered the idea of working together. The result was this 2008 jazz CD, Thunder. The first thing that struck me as I listened to this was the incredibly impressive production, done by Marcus Miller. Each bassist and their bass has their distinctive sounds and styles expressed clearly throughout each song without becoming cluttering or crowded. This also means that you can hear all other instruments with crystal clarity too, adding to the listening experience. Each bassist manages to support the others, usually with one taking the bottom while the other two do nice solos over the top. The artists utilise a variety of instruments to create a very diverse album. Apart from the bass guitars, there is also a trumpet, mini-moog, Clarke's upright bass, Miller's bass clarinet and synths, and the beatboxing talent of Butterscotch. I would say all the tracks on this album stand out by themselves, but the main notable highlight are the title track "Thunder" where the bassists get their little introductions and kick ass with solos throughout. It really isn't fair to the rest of the CD to call Thunder a notable highlight, though, since each track is stunning. // 10

Lyrics: There's no singing throughout the CD except perhaps the introduction of each bassist in the title track Thunder, and some humming in Pendulum. These are done by female beatboxer Butterscotch. I'm not familiar with her work since I'm not American, but she blends in very nicely with the music and helps to reinforce it. Her beatboxing skills are commendable, and she also supplies the "vocal trumpet". I'm not sure what that's meant to be, but the fact that I can't pick it out of the song demonstrates how seamlessly it's applied. // 10

Overall Impression: I honestly didn't have anything I didn't like about this album, from start to finish. In fact, I didn't think I would do it justice if I didn't rip the CD onto my laptop with lossless quality. So now the one album takes up 632mb of my music collection, and don't worry, I applied copy protection. Another significant thing to note is that it's evident that a lot of effort and detail was even put into the physical CD, its case and contents too. The CD is a great black design, with the bassists' names subtly embossed on the top surface to give it a quality look. The insert folds out to show the details of the CD (including thanks, credits, and song details e.g. composer, instruments), and the back side is a larger picture of Clarke, Miller and Wooten. The high quality production of even the case contents rounds off a great CD with a great appearance. This is a thoroughly enjoyable CD to listen to, and there are definitely no regrets about it. If this CD was somehow lost, stolen or damaged I would definitely purchase it again for want of a hard copy. // 10

Comments