Final Straw Review

snow patrol: Final Straw
Released: March 30, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Indie Rock
Final Straw is another strong slab of emotion and invigorating energy from a solid band.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.7
 9.3
Final Straw Reviewed by: Powerhouse, on march 02, 2005

Sound: Snow Patrol has a very unique sound. I like to think of Gary Lightbody's voice as a cross between Aaron Lewis of Staind and John Mayer. The guitar work is nothing fancy, in fact the solos are sometimes played on one string, but thats not always a bad thing. Some of the songs have distorted vocals, such as Gleaming Auction and Wow, which I personally am not really fond of. But otherwise, Gary's voice and the bands music blend perfectly to produce a lighthearted, upbeat yet mellow sound unlike many other bands I've heard. Looking for heavy stuff? If so, look elsewhere. // 8

Lyrics: Like I said before, Gary's voice is very unique and soulful. It also blends perfectly with their down-on-my-luck, 3 Doors Down-like lyrics. I couldn't imagine Chester Bennington or Chad Kroeger singing these songs, as much as I like their voices. They were just made for Gary's vocal talents. The songs are mellow, yet relatable. No "darkness surrounding me" or any of that emo style whining. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very good album. I would recommend it for anyone who is a fan of Keane or Muse. My favorite songs in no order are Run, How To Be Dead, Chocolate, and Grazed Knees. If this album was stolen, I would definetly buy another one if I couldn't find and beat up the b--ch that stole it. // 10

Final Straw Reviewed by: spoonman017, on june 03, 2004

Sound: Snow Patrol's sound is also described by the band's name. It sounds "snowy". Faint, distorted, weak and enjoyable. Whenever I say 'weak', that isn't bad at all. I really like their sound. It's unique. Snow Patrol's music doesn't fit into any real categories. They don't have any solos or catchy riffs. Their music is very easy to play, most of the songs have the same format with similar power chords flooded with effects and sound effects. The music doesn't expand too far. Snow Patrol reaches acoustics in a few songs, but they don't seem to experiment with much else. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. Whenever I look at this CD, the lyrics are the heart of it. The singer has a great voice. It seems kind of nervous, but steady. Gary Lightbody uses his voice as an instrument. Their first single, "Spitting Games" for example, the heart of that song is the vocals. All of Snow Patrol's music revolves around Lightbody. He also has an amazing songwriting skill. He goes into so much detail, that it forces you to almost feel what he went through or is feeling. I would definitely consider Lightbody the best songwriter of this year. Lightbody also has so much melody in his songs that it's extremely easy to get any one of his songs stuck in your head. He also makes sure you get your time's worth by stuffing so much lyrical content into the CD. There isn't a song where you would want Lightbody to keep going, because he makes every song complete by not leaving anything out. // 10

Overall Impression: You can get Snow Patrol if you take Coldplay, take away their ritalin, add guitar effects, and give the singer a life's worth of education in songwriting. I'm supposed to tell you which songs are the best of the album, but it's hard whenever they are all so great. The album plays like a greatist hits CD, you can't skip over any track. I bought this CD for 10 bucks at Sam Goody's. I'm not exactly sure why this band hasn't been played to death by now, because they are extremely catchy. I'm not sure if Snow Patrol can live up to a live show due to all of their guitar effects, echos, playback and other random noise that has been stuffed into the Final Straw. I have been getting everyone I can to listen to this CD. I want everyone else to hear it and see how lyrics should be instead of today's senseless four-line verses. If anyone gets a chance, you should definitely check out "Spitting Games" or the CD Final Straw. It is really worth your time and money. // 10

Final Straw Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2007

Sound: Having listened to this album a few times I would describe the sound as complicated melodic rock; the reason everyone has become familiar with the sound of Snow Patrol is because of the amount of radio play they get but they are by no means your standard band. From the opening track "How to be Dead" you get the sense that this album is going to be melodic and personal and it is but it is also a lot more than that. Snow patrol rely mainly on guitar work for their songs, it is seemingly unconplicated but effective while still having a sense of mystery as to where you will end up with every song. "Wow" track 2 lightly thunders into the listeners head and seemingly ignites expectations of a more rocky undertone. This seems to be a pretty rounded album but not in the sense that the band tried to make it that way, it just seems like a complete piece of work. Indie Rock Candyfloss with gravel mixed in with the sugar. // 7

Lyrics: I was surprised at my feelings towards the lyrics on this album; during wow there is a line which is "if it looks like it works and it feels like it works then it works", pretty simple eh? but actually listen to it and it has such a remnace with you. Snow Patrol have some undoubted lyrical talent; my favorite song being Spitting Games, this song actually made me feel so nostalgic in a genuine way, "i broke into your house last night and left a note at your bedside, I'm far to shy to speak to you at school" , every boys memory of a girl he liked at school - I would recommend this song to absolutely anyone, I wouldn't be exaggerating to say I love this track mainly because of the lyrics. Grazed Knees is also another highlight lyrically. I think they're are lyrically weaknesses to this album, in the sense that im sure Mr Lightbody wouldn't change but it seems a few tracks weren't meant to be read into, just listened to. // 8

Overall Impression: Snow Patrol seems to have progressed over the years and many people now see them as a band who sell records but listen to this album and the lyrics on it and you will realise they are much more than that. Songs on this album could have been improved by making the lyrical content better but changing it would be like changing a family member. This album would make it into my top 20 albums, I know for a fact I'll listen to this album in years to come and it will remind me of better days // 9

More Snow Patrol reviews rating latest review