Greatest Hits Review

artist: social distortion date: 11/04/2008 category: compact discs
social distortion: Greatest Hits
Release Date: Jun 26, 2007
Label: Time Bomb
Genres: L.A. Punk, College Rock, American Underground, Punk, American Punk, Alternative Pop/Rock, Hard Rock, Roots Rock
Greatest Hits could stand to be longer, but as a summary of SD's career and what they do best, it does the job with flying colors and never wears out its welcome.
 9.9
Greatest Hits Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2007

Sound: The sound is great. Social D is one of the best bands out there and this is probably going to be the best greatest hits albums ever, including popular songs such as "Mommy's Little Monster" (from their debut album 1983's "Mommy's Little Monster"), "Ball and Chain", "Story of My Life" (both from their 1990 self-titled album), "I Was Wrong" (from 1996's "White Light, White Heat, White Trash"), "Prison Bound" (from 1989's "Prison Bound"), and many more spanning their 20+ year career. I've been a huge fan of this band for a long time and I hope they won't retire anytime soon. OK back to the "Greatest Hits" album, I just heard the new song "Far Behind" and in my opinion, I think this will be one of the best hits of 2007. // 10

Lyrics: I'd say Social D's lyrics are never any bad as far as I can tell. The music and lyrics go along really good. Some of them have a lot to do with life, love and death, whatever and also dedicated to the late Dennis Danell, who was the rhythm guitarist on all Social D albums until "White Light, White Heat, White Trash". Mike Ness is not only a great singer in the world, but he is also one of the best punk songwriters. // 10

Overall Impression: Social D is amongst my top five favorite punk bands (others include The Offspring, Bad Religion, Blink 182 and MXPX). Sometimes, it just takes a long time for any famous band (that has put out 5 records or over) to release a greatest hits album, even Social D. All songs, including the new one "Far Behind", are awesome. I would recommend this greatest hits album (or any other Social D album) to everyone who likes punk music or who is a huge fan of Social D as well, worth listening and recognizing their well-known songs. Word on the street is that, Social D was going to release a new studio album this year and I'm really looking forward to it as well. I'll say it again, you gotta check out this greatest hits album, even though I haven't bought it yet. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: bassplayer18A7X, on november 04, 2008

Sound: This I think is Social Distortion's best CD, but it is a greatest hits CD so it is supposed to be a very good CD. The sound quality of this CD really good, and you could hear all of the instuments very well. Music styles on this CD vary a lot. Some songs sound like hardcore punk rock songs, such as mommy's little monster, and another state of mind, while others sound more like rockabilly songs, such as prison bound, and ball and chain. Here is what I think of all of the songs: 01.Another state of mind: good song, but not one of the best on the CD. 02.Mommy's Little Monster: good song, Mike ness sings more a Hardcore punk style of vocals on this song, nothing amazing about it though, but a solid song 03.Prison bound: one of my Favorite songs on the CD, has a rockabilly sound to it, great lyrics, and a fun song to listen to. 04.Story of my Life: another Great song, lyrics have a very good meaning to them, not amazing but a decent gutiar solo, and has a very nice beat to it. 05.Ball and Chain: good song, a little bit longer than most of their songs, but still a good song that tells a story. 06.Ring of Fire: Great Johnny Cash cover, personally I like it more than the original version of the song, gives the song a punk feel to it. 07.Bad luck: good song, nothing stands out in it too much, but a solid song. When the angels sing: 10/10 Amazing song, amazing lyrics, and the song has a very good meaning to it, good drum beat, good bass line, nothing special with guitar though. 08.I was Wrong: it's an okay song, dosent stand out too good to me, and nothing really special about anything in the song. 09.Reach for the Sky: great song, very good vocal preformance, and a nice guitar solo. 10.Far Behind: amazing again, my favorite song on the CD, great meaning to the song, Amazing vocals, good bass line, and good guiatr solo. 11.Maybellene: I don't like this song too much, it's alright but it's probably the weakest song on the album, not a great cover. // 9

Lyrics: All of the Lyrics on this CD has some meaning to them, and told stories. Mike Ness sang very good on this CD. Many songs made his vocals stand out a lot, such as Far Behind, Reach For the Sky, When the Angels sing, Story of my life, Prison bound, and ring of fire. The lyrics fit in pretty well with the music, I was very impressed with the singing on this CD. // 10

Overall Impression: This I think is one of the best albums that Social D has made. The Most impressive songs on the album are Far Behind, Reach for the Sky, When the Angels sing, Story of my life, and Prison bound. The things that I like most about this album are the Vocals. There is nothing I really hate about this album. If I lost this CD I would buy it again, it is definitly worth the money, and I would suggest it to anyone who is just starting to like Social D, or any of their older fans, I think that it appeals to both of those parties. // 10

More Social Distortion reviews rating latest review