Sex, Love And Rock 'n' Roll Review

Released: Sep 28, 2004
Label: Time Bomb
Genre: Rock
Styles: L.A. Punk, American Punk
It shows that Social Distortion have held onto what made them great while growing and changing in the best ways.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.4
 9.4
 9.3
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Sex, Love And Rock 'n' Roll Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: I'd never heard Social D until I heard "Reach For The Sky" on the radio. I thought it was a good song and I wanted the album, which wasn't out yet. I kind of forgot about it but then I heard their second single "Don't Take Me For Granted" and I made myself go out and buy it. This album is packed with emotion as the band mourns the loss of their guitarist which is evident on the best tracks. The thing I love about this album is the classic raw garage band feel Social D has to their sound it's simple yet refined to perfection. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album have a lot to do with life, love, and death, and they pair nicely with the raw Social D sound. Mike Ness did a great job on songs like "Reach For The Sky" and "Angel's Wings," although I'm still unsure on what "Footprints On My Ceiling" is about. The standout in the lyrics department is definitely "Don't Take Me For Granted" from the first lines "I'm your worn in leather jacket, I'm the volume in your f--ked up teenage band" to "I'm the dreams you had walking down the railroad tracks, you and me" this song is rock and roll personified. Singer wise Mike Ness Is not a great singer, but he is a great rocker his gravelly voice is a perfect match for social D's sound. My only complaint is sometimes it seems like his voice is drowned out on a few songs but nothing major. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Reach For The Sky - is a classic live life to it's fullest song with a good riff. 4/5. 02. Highway 101 - has has a great sing along chorus. 3/5. 03. Don't Take Me For Granted - is, like I said the reason I bought this album, and it's amazing the screechy guitar slide gives me chills, I love this song. 5/5. 04. Footprints On My Ceiling - Nice steady song with a steady roll to the rhythm. 3/5. 05. Nickels And Dimes - this song fits Mike Ness perfectly. 3/5. 06. I Wasn't Born To Follow - an anthem to individuality. 3/5. 07. Winners And Losers - a good one about life in general. 4/5. 08. Faithless - probably my least favorite song on the album, a good song, but it just doesn't stand out like the others. 3/5. 09. Live Before You Die - I this one alot again just doesn't stand out. 10. Angel's Wings - probably my second favorite song on the album, a much slowed down change of pace with a great chorus. It's a ballad but it's not sappy at all, a great endnote. 5/5. All in all this is a great album that has made a Social D fan out of me, I can't wait to check out their other stuff to see if it's as good, the only downside to this album is it's short only at just under forty minutes. I pray for the soul of the poor sap that steals this album from me, they would get some angel wings of their own. // 10

Sex, Love And Rock 'n' Roll Reviewed by: Jaw Knee, on april 04, 2007

Sound: One of the oldest punk bands to date shifts their music a little, but keeps it real on Sex, Love And Rock n' Roll. The "Punk Rock N' Roll" band from Orange County still has new music techniques for the genre that can relate to the band's older sound. I thought they did a great job on the CD. It combines punk rock with rock n' roll and twists it into a great CD. The music styles are pretty limited, but it doesn't really matter. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. Each and every song has its very own realistic meaning and has some story attatched to it. "Angel's Wings" is a song about the friendship that frontman Mike Ness shared with their late guitarist Dennis Danelle. "Don't Take Me For Granted" is another song about Danelle, but it would rather be fit for a girl rather than a male friend. Mike Ness' vocals sound great with the lyrics. Especially on tracks like "Reach for the Sky" and the most "rock n' roll influenced" song on the CD, "Nickels and Dimes". // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great album. But overall, it's a bit disappointing, on it's impression. It doesn't compare to their self titled album or Mommy's Little Monster. White Light, White Heat, White Trash is another album that surpasses Sex, Love and Rock n' Roll. Despite it's few flaws, it's a solid CD. The most impressive tracks from the album in my opinion were "Reach For the Sky", "Don't Take Me For Granted", "Nickels and Dimes", "Winners and Losers", "Highway 101", "Live Before You Die". The only tracks that didn't catch my full attraction, but are attractive nonetheless, is the rest of the CD. Which includes "Angel's Wings", "Footprints on my Ceiling", "Faithless", and "I Wasn't Born to Follow". I love almost everything about this CD. The music is fantastic and almost each song has a catchy riff or guitar solo. The sole acoustic song "Winners and Losers" is possibly one of the greatest songs I have ever heard. What I hate about this CD is that it has only ten tracks. It's way too short. The songs stretch it 37 minutes, so it makes each track about three and a half minutes. If it was stolen or lost, I'd definitely buy it again. I'm not just saying that since Social Distortion is one of my favorite bands. It's a great CD and every punk rock fan should own it. // 8

More Social Distortion reviews rating latest review