Social Distortion Review

social distortion: Social Distortion
Released: Mar 1990
Genre: Rock
Styles: Rock & Roll, Alternative Pop/Rock, College Rock
Social Distortion isn't a great roots rock album, but it's a pretty good one, and it's better and more affecting than anything this band had cranked out before.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.3
 8.7
reviews (4) user comments vote for this album:
Social Distortion Reviewed by: Social D Addict, on july 26, 2004

Sound: The music for this album is well-written. It contains an obvious influence from jazz music in some of the songs. It also contains the only song yet released in which John Maurer played a part in the writing (So Far Away). This album also has some of Social D's most popular songs such as "Story Of My Life", "Sick Boy", and their punk cover of "Ring Of Fire". // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are also very well written. Most of the songs look back on Mike Ness's life, some look at his mistakes, while others simply talk about how things change around you. The lyrics work well with the music. The singing is probably best on "Story Of My Life". // 10

Overall Impression: This album is probably the best starting place for new Social D listeners. Some of the best songs are "Sick Boy", "Story Of My Life", and "Ring Of Fire". This is a great album, but the last four songs can get very depressing. If this album were lost or stolen I would buy it again, without a doubt. // 10

Social Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 25, 2005

Sound: Social D. kicks ass. Their songs are great, and very well thought up. Mike Ness is the only original member now, but nowadays they're still pretty good. All the albums are similar in a way, and this one has great sound. The guitar solos in the intro of most songs are awesome. Mike's a great guitarist, one of the only punk rockers left. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics are kind of lame, like the song So Far Away. It's an excellent song - great vocals and sound. But the lyrics are kind of annoying after "so far away, so far away, so far away..." it keeps going on. But Story Of My Life and Ball And Chain are two of the greatest songs I've ever heard. // 8

Overall Impression: Social Distortion is my favorite band. And they haven't killed their name, like some have. Some older bands that are left have completely different members and their new music sucks. Social D has newer members, but they still are the kick ass band they always were. If I lost this CD or if it were stolen, I'd buy it again. Definitely. // 10

Social Distortion Reviewed by: jklsadj;sadjfak, on april 10, 2006

Sound: This is Social Distortion's major label debut. It's not that different than their older stuff, but you can hear a little more, almost country-ish sound in it. They have a great rock cover of Johnny Cash's Ring Of Fire, and theres also the legendary Story Of My Life. There's also no shortage of the good punk sound from their earlier albums. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics and singing are the best part. Mike Ness is one of my favorite singers/songwriters of all time. The lyrics go well with the music. Ball and Chain is a more slow, sad song, but it shows off his songwriting. // 10

Overall Impression: If your looking for another punk band that sounds exactly like NOFX, dont get this. It's finally something a little different, mixing punk, rock and even some country. The most impressive songs are Story Of My Life, Sick Boys, and the cover Ring Of Fire. I do wish that it was a little faster, maybe a little more energy, but then again, theres a million other bands that are all the same if you want that. Definatly a landmark album in punk rock history. // 10

Social Distortion Reviewed by: MAXPAYNE4664, on may 17, 2007

Sound: When I first listened to the album, I thought it had a pretty sweet guitar sound to it. It has a very different sound compared to the other music albums that I own from other bands. The sound in this album is very, how do I say it, mellow. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. The distorted sound of the chords being played is nice too. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics. If there's one thing that pops into my mind in this album for lyrics, it's definitely the song "Story of my Life". That song is one of my favorite, if not best song I've heard in a long time. The lyrics can relate to many people out there. It's just very well written and Mike Ness knows how to carry the song with passion. His voice is a one of a kind no doubt. One thing I noticed is that his voice seems to have stayed the same throughout all the albums because it sounds almost the same when he sang "Reach For The Sky" on Social D's most recent album. // 10

Overall Impression: Well comparing to my other albums, it's above most of them. Social D may not be technical but they sure make great music. It's not about how fast you can play, it's about the attitude, the energy, the passion, all the good stuff. Social D knows how to manage all that in this album. The most impressive songs in my opinion is "Story Of My Life", "Sick Boy", "Ball And Chain", and "Ring Of Fire". But overall they're all great songs. If there's one thing I hate about the album, it's that they could have had maybe a couple faster songs. But that's just something I would like, not really necesary. If someone stole this album or if I lost it, I would definitely buy it again. // 9

More Social Distortion reviews rating latest review