White Light, White Heat, White Trash Review

social distortion: White Light, White Heat, White Trash
Released: Sep 1996
Genre: Rock
Styles: Rock & Roll, Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock
With "White Light" Social Distortion made a conscious attempt to cash in on the alternative "revolution" of the early '90s.
 8.8
 9.2
 8.4
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
White Light, White Heat, White Trash Reviewed by: Social D Addict, on july 28, 2004

Sound: Social Distortions music comes alive again in this album. With Chuck Biscuits beating the hell out of the drums and Mike Ness doing some great solos, this might be their best album yet. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics to this album are well written, Mike Ness finally seems to have recovered from his fight with drugs and gotten some of his punk writing skills back. Singing is also very good. // 10

Overall Impression: Probably the best Social D CD, and it is definately one of my favorite CD's ever. This CD contains some of their best songs such as "Don't Drag Me Down", "Down on the World Again", and "Gotta Know the Rules". I love this album, although I do dislike some of the later songs. If this album was lost or stolen I would go through hell to get it back. // 10

White Light, White Heat, White Trash Reviewed by: organic remains, on october 29, 2005

Sound: My aunt got me into this band saying that I wanted to hear what punk rock sounded like and this band was what started me. It makes you want to hear more of them. There is distortion in every song on this album, but the music is usually softer than what you'd think. A couple of the songs start with the drums tapping the top hat and then bringing in the guitars and bass. They use mostly power chords which can get kind of annoying, but they usually use different progressions in each of their songs. One downfall, is that they sometimes use the same chord progression throughout the whole song. // 9

Lyrics: Mike Ness is comes up with some of the best lyrics I've ever heard in this album. In all of these songs, there is a different subject or topic. They match with the music and fit perfectly with the style. // 10

Overall Impression: "White Light, White Heat, White Trash" is the kind of album that starts out a little boring, but once you start listening to the lyrics and learning the song for yourself, it really grows on you and becomes one of your favorites. One of my favorite songs is "Don't Drag Me Down" because its lyrics are outstanding and the chord progression and rythm changes showing you they have switched from the verse to the chorus. // 5

White Light, White Heat, White Trash Reviewed by: Jaguarman, on november 06, 2006

Sound: Before this album, Social D had a real roots rock and roll feel. But on this album, possibly their best yet, they put in more punk rock energy than ever before. The sound is great, and Mike Ness plays some perfectly crafted solos throughout the album. Only problem is some repeated ideas and structure. // 9

Lyrics: Mike Ness really delivers on this album, with some of the best lyrics I've ever heard him write. He puts all his raw energy into the vocals, so as soon as he comes in, you can feel the adrenaline in your blood. On songs like "When The Angels Sing", "Don't Drag Me Down", and "I Was Wrong", the lyrics just resonate with you. at one point, Mike Ness says, "You're 18, wanna be a man, your granddaddy's in the Ku Klux Klan. Taking two steps forward, and four steps back, I'm gonna go to the White House, and paint it black!" Genius. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a fantastic album that really brings out emotion. Especially on tracks lik "Don't Drag Me Down", you get this great feeling to get up and move. I love the energy of this record, and it was an added bonus hearing their wonderful take on The Rolling Stones "Under My Thumb". I would totally buy this album again. It truly is an amazing work of art. // 10

More Social Distortion reviews rating latest review