M-16 Review

Lyrics: 8.5
 9.4
 8.7
M-16 Reviewed by: colm c, on september 28, 2010

Sound: Sodoms 2001 album M-16 is a concept album based on the experiences of people involved in the Vietnam War and is a return to form after a string of disappointing albums. This is an aggressive Thrash assault but compared to the other Teutonic bands its production is somewhat lacking. The drums can sound messy and the guitar tone can be a bit thin at times but the pure strength of the songs here more than make up for any issues that the production raise. The riffs here are infectious are the vocal performance is awesome layered on top of some of the best chorus patterns I've heard in Thrash. The flaws here are outweighed completely by the strengths but even still a little more volume wouldn't have gone amiss. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics here are quite colourful as it's a concept album the aim is to paint a clear picture to keep the story moving. Some great chorus's here too. The vocal performance itself is fierce! It's clear and yet still has grit to it. Very satisfying to listen to! While Tom is not a classically trained singer he makes due with what he has(not saying he's lacking) and he shines on this album. // 8

Overall Impression: This a really fantastic album and I've been listening to it for a long time and I'm not bored of it yet! I don't think I'll even tire of this one. I recommend it completely and the stand out tracks are set staple Napalm In The Morning, M-16 and Lead Injection. It's a must for Metal fans even just for the ludicrous version of Surfin' Bird. Buy it. // 9

M-16 Reviewed by: krvolok, on july 08, 2010

Sound: Sodom are back in the sh**t and they brought their M-16s proving not only that you can have a great comeback but that you can also surpass it tenfold. Code Red, the previous album was a return to the thrash style of Agent Orange and M-16 continues that return, there are a couple of properly fast songs and a few more mid-tempo ones, a bunch of nice leads and a lot of good riffs. The album is very well balanced being very heavy and just slightly melodic, the performance is at the usual polished level. My only dislike is that a couple of songs, namely "Lead Injection" and "Napalm In The Morning" are to long and they get boring towards the end. // 9

Lyrics: Tom Such "Angelripper" does a nice job on the vocals whether the harsh style on songs like "Minejumper" or the more clean like on "M-16". The lyrics mostly deal with the Vietnam War, they neither glorify it nor mystify it in any way, they deal with the people caught in it and there are a lot of memorable lines like the chorus of "M-16". The lyrics definitely add to the great atmosphere of this album. // 9

Overall Impression: There are so many good songs on this album, "Canon Fodder", "Little Boy", "Marines", I am The War", but M-16 is my favorite, it's a straightforward song with a couple of good riffs and of course the lyrics. M-16 is a lot like Agent Orange and if you liked Agent Orange you will like M-16 as well. The only flaw are the long songs, they ruin overall feel of the album. // 9

More Sodom reviews rating latest review
+ Agent Orange 8.9 11/03/2013