Ribbed Music For The Numb Generation Review

Soho Dolls: Ribbed Music For The Numb Generation
Release Date: Sep 24, 2007
Label: A&G
Genres: Pop/Rock
England's Soho Dolls have the seductive voicing of Goldfrapp with the kick and flick action of Siouxsie And The Banshees fleeting their latest release.
 7.9
 7.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Ribbed Music For The Numb Generation Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on february 26, 2008

Sound: England's Soho Dolls have the seductive voicing of Goldfrapp with the kick and flick action of Siouxsie And The Banshees fleeting their latest release Ribbed Music For The Numb Generation, produced by Robert Harder. Fronted by female vocalist Maya Von Doll and comprised of keyboardist Weston Doll, guitarist Toni Sailor, bassist Matt Lord, and drummer Paul Stone, Soho Dolls create club music for the vixen who has a steely will and strong opinions of her own. The music is sexy and intense showing iron-fisted guitar bangles gilded in slithering keyboards with a pole-dancing sensuality in the vocals. The jacked-up rhythm sections keep your fingers snapping along the hip swinging beats as the music produces notches of cloudbursts in the endorphin-soaked tracks Stripper and Right And Right Again. Some tracks have a techno-pop appeal like the siren sounding effects of Trash The Rental and the club mix of Prince Harry, while others rivet punk rock pulses like in My Vampire and No Regrets. The jazz textured instrumentation of I'm Not Cool hosts a showtunes rhapsody that is fetching as Maya's cutesy vocal tresses display a seductive lure. There are Moulin Rouge-like features in tracks like Bang Bang Bang Bang and Weekender and melodic-pop sails herald in Maya's vampy vocal intonations on songs like Pleasures Of Soho and 1724. The songs are showy and contain vigils to exhibitionists, which indulges in the baser needs of humans. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics can be self-deprecating but always provocative and dripping with seduction like in Bang Bang Bang Bang. Maya prattles in the tune, Teacher says that I've been naughty/ I must learn to concentrate/ But the girls, they pull my hair/ And with the boys, I can't relate/ Daddy says 'I'm good for nothing'/ Mamma says that 'It's from him'/ Manic sister thinks I'm cracking/ Brother says 'It's in my genes'/ Don't you want to/ Don't you want to be the one/ Don't you want to/ Bang Bang Bang Bang. The guys in the audience will find the openness in the lyrics appealing and the gals will relate to the steely backbone in the words, which kind of tell the people who belittle you to screw off and to not let them get to you. The lyrics enforce an inner strength while exploring lustful urges. // 8

Overall Impression: The songs have a hot strut and poised melodically while also conveying some vital lessons about life, especially about indulging in baser needs. The theatrics and showtunes vibe of the album is overall enjoyable. The music has a sophisticated campiness that is reminiscent of Broadway's stage production Chicago and Paris' infamous club the Moulin Rouge. If Toulouse Lautrec were still alive, the Soho Dolls music would no doubt inspire him to paint yet another masterpiece compiling with his famous scenes of Parisian nightlife through the late 1800s. The Soho Dolls album is a window into a world that has no shame indulging in unchaste urges, and they do it with the same amount of genuineness as Toulouse Lautrec had. // 8

Comments