Figure Number Five Review

9.3
 9.3
 9.2
Figure Number Five Reviewed by: simba_product, on september 21, 2006

Sound: Well first off, that guy above me doesn't know what he is on about, I have been a fan of Soilwork since 1998 and they sound nothing like Rammstein or Stratovarius. Anyway, Figure Number Five is a landmark album in Soilwork's history. This is album where they began to move away from their more aggressive almost death/thrash sound for their early albums, with this album they have clearly experimented with the Death Metal genre, in a similar to In Flames who are close friends of Soilwork. This album has touches of thrash, nu and speed metal, with Death Metal being the underpinning genre. The riffs are as brutal as ever and the drumming from Dirk is out of this world. Bjorn is as ever, fantastic on vocals, blending his brutal screams with angelic harmonies. All in all, the sound is nothing new to the genre, but still unique. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album have come along way from those in earlier albums such as Steelbath Suicide and A Predators Portrait, the band have matured a lot so their writing skills are definatly improved. My personal favourites for lyrics would have to be 'Light The Torch' and 'Rejection Role'. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall impression is that this is a superb album, which shows them to be at the top of todays Death Metal roster, alongside the mighty In Flames. The bestr songs from this album (even though their isnt a bad song on it) would have to be 'Rejection Role', 'Light The Torch' and 'Overload'. Although this is a fresh attempt from Soilwork in terms of genre, this album is still as good as the previous releases and if it was stolen/lost, I would definatly re-buy. // 10

Figure Number Five Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2004

Sound: Definite similarities to Rammstein except they sing in english and are not really industrial. They have their own unique style of crunching metal tunes mixed with a bit of keyboard(not really that noticable in most songs) AND yes you metal heads there are solos. // 10

Lyrics: The singer switches between heavy and light vocals which blend suprisingly well. The lyrics don't sound out of place what so ever and seem perfect. Dunno if you guys have ever heard those lesbian russian pop singers tatu or effiel 65 a few years back but thats wht the keyboard sounds like in some songs eg 'Departure Plan' a great song from the album which shows this. // 10

Overall Impression: In the top 10 of albums of 2003. This album does not disappoint, if you are fans of bands like Deftones, Megadeth, Korn, Disturbed and Metallica you may very well enjoy this album. They remind me of scandinavian metal bands such as Stratovarius(Speed of Light, Check this song out, fast or what) but alot heavier. I have checked out previous albums by them and this album is a defeinite evolution of the band less heavy vocally and creating some great songs with guitar. 'Rejection Role' by Soilwork made me a believer and I didn't make a mistake buying the 'Figure Number Five' album. Not like these crappy bands like slipknot, mudvayne and manson. These guys have real talent, dunno if they've made it in the US but they have toured Europe in 2003. // 10

Figure Number Five Reviewed by: Dexter_prog, on may 02, 2007

Sound: In the past years, Soilwork has improved their sound. The quality of this record is flaweless, similar to Stabbing The Drama. Their sound is characteristic: growl and symphonic vocals, attonishing guitar riffs, creative drumming and a pinch of synths, making them sound both heavy and electronic. Song go from death metal, to slow-driven ballads, both with great harmonies and solos. // 9

Lyrics: What makes this album different to other Soilwork albums is that it is probably their more melodic release to date. With "Figure Number Five" you will get people that hate growling vocals start liking them and eventually like the genre, as well as getting into more extreme genres. You have to start with something, this album is a great choice to start with. And if you already like the genre give this album a close listen, pay attention to what you are listening to because this album is different than other melodic death metal albums. But I insist, you have to open your mind before listening to this, if not, don't even bother. // 8

Overall Impression: Great guitar riffs, exceptional vocals and synth fills that couldn't be better. it's structure is simply perfect, from the beggining to the end it stays in place not having any weak points. Catchy songs pop up along the way showing the album is full of heavy riffs, melodic and agressive vocals, emotional solos, and of course great drumming. You will sing the whole album along to the last song. The album opens with "Rejection Hole" and, in my opinion, this a great start because it makes you want to listen to the whole thing. I think albums always have to start with a solid and catchy song: a weak beginning leads most of the times to weak album, this song is no exception to my demand. Furthermore we get to "Light The Torch", another hit that will keep you tunned to the album, this time with a more melodic song, but full of great synth leads, another good step for the album. We then come across "Departure Plan". This is the most melodramatic song of the album, it will touch you for sure (the balad of the album). Upon the end we get "The Mindmaker": the headbanging and mosh-pit song, clearly. This is one of thos songs that makes you want to jump all it's long. Of course there are more songs, but I won't spoil them for you, listen to them. I ensure you that the rest of the songs are as great as the ones I described. // 9

More Soilwork reviews rating latest review
+ The Living Infinite 8 02/27/2013