Natural Born Chaos Review

soilwork: Natural Born Chaos
Release Date: 2002
Label: Nuclear Blast
Genres: Scandinavian Metal, Heavy Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal
Old fans might have a difficult time adjusting to Natural Born Chaos, but it's an impressive disc in that it combines two seemingly disparate styles seamlessly into a unique listening experience.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
Natural Born Chaos Reviewed by: Stonewall X, on march 26, 2007

Sound: I am always impressed by the brilliant guitar work of Peter Wichers and Ola Frenning. They write great death metal songs, and the best thing about them is they don't all sound exactly the same. In my opinion, Sven Karlsson did his best keyboard work on this album. The coordination of Peter and Ola is also very amazing; these riffs are so fast and heavy, but they are still able to stay perfectly in synch with each other (listen to the verse riff on Follow The Hollow). The drums are really good, but I think Dirk, their current drummer, is better then Henry Ranta. // 10

Lyrics: Speed is one of the best death metal vocalists around. He has a great combination of screams, growls, and clean vocals, making him one of the definitive death metal vocalists. All death metal vocalists should take hints from him. I like how he can scream so much and still hit (somewhat) high notes, such as in Black Star Deceiver or Minefields, or make his voice sound distorted, a la Natural Born Chaos and Follow The Hollow. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is one of Soilwork's best albums, if not their best. This album, and the band in general, have showed me that I still have a lot of work to do on guitar. These songs have a lot of energy to them and are sure to drive all aspiring metal guitarists to do the absolute best they possibly can. Really, all these songs are great. If you are a Soilwork fan and don't have this album, get it. If you are a death metal fan or just looking to expand your interests, this would be a great album to have. I should also have you know that I am very anxious to hear their new album! // 10

More Soilwork reviews rating latest review
+ The Living Infinite 8 02/27/2013