The Panic Broadcast Review

Label: Nuclear Blast
 8.9
review (1) 20 comments vote for this album:
The Panic Broadcast Reviewed by: opeth714, on september 06, 2010

Sound: Soilwork have always been an impressive band at the top of their game, and I think their back catalogue speaks for itself. Peter Wichers said of the newest album, The Panic Broadcast, "The next album definately needs more performance". I think this sums up this album wonderfully. It is quite possibly the best album they have released yet. They have a varied history, something I will not go into, but the songs on this new album cover everything they have ever done. The opening song begins with a quite frankly brutal musical section, right after a very short typically soilwork melody. The second song shows the incredible skill of Bjorn Strid on vocals, with some of the clean singing associated with later soilwork. The musicality on every song is beyond impressive, they seemlessly blend brutal with melody with breakdown with catchy hook, again and again and again. The drumming is awesome, in the best sense of the word, and very technical. The guitars are just brilliant, playing technically and sometimes incredibly fast, but slower and with a lot of feeling where it is suitable. A delight to listen to! I don't like to put individual song reviews up, I think the listener does that! But I could write a sterling review on each song! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics speak of different things depending on the listener I feel, so check this album out and listen for yourself, its worth it! As for the singing itself, its possibly the best effort that Bjorn has put out yet. It sounds very slightly different to any other record, but its difficult to put your finger on it. He is as skilled as ever however, and it fits the music perfectly. I've already said a bit about the instrumentation, but again, its impressive stuff, no snobbishness, no showing off, well no more than necessary! // 9

Overall Impression: Its as good as, or better than other albums, but sums up soilworks career in one record. Late for the kill, early for the slaughter is an impressive track, there is sublime singing on Two lives worth of reckoning, and the solos on Night comes clean are awesome, and some serious drumming on King of the threshold but really all the songs are brilliant, I urge you to check this record out! Well done Soilwork, a brilliant album. // 9

More Soilwork reviews rating latest review
+ The Living Infinite 8 02/27/2013