Leaving Through The Window Review

artist: something corporate date: 10/11/2006 category: compact discs
something corporate: Leaving Through The Window
Released: May 7, 2002
Genre: Rock
Tones: Melancholy, Earnest, Sophisticated, Intimate, Plaintive, Reflective, Smooth
Styles: Punk-Pop, Emo
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.8
 9.5
reviews (5) user comments vote for this album:
Leaving Through The Window Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on october 11, 2006

Sound: I've had "Leaving Through The Window" by Something Corporate a little over 3 years now. This is one of those cds that you will get hooked onto everytime you listen to it. And if you were ever to neglect it, then pick it up later, you'll get hooked all over again. This band puts this CD together with brilliance. There are a lot of catchy songs, beautiful melodies, and the lyrics are amazing! 01. I Want To Save You - perfect begining to the CD, espicially with the simple piano opening, then blended in with a drum and guitar line. Opening lyric of "Standing on the edge of morning, scent of sex and New Found Glory, playing as she's pulling back her hair" is perfect. Song's about trying to save a modern girl, the mentioning of sex involved in why she needs to be saved is essential really. Song and guitar picks up for chorus throughout the song, simply a perfect opening. 02. Punk Rock Princess - I don't know why, but I really couldn't ever get into this track. The guitar riffs are great, pounding throughout. McMahon's lyrics of "You could be my punk rock princess, I could be your grage band king. You can tell me how you just don't need this and your going to be something" is great and placed perfectly in the song. I'd like for the piano to take more of a prominiant role inthe song, but other then that, my complaints are at a minimum and I still don't like the track. Wierd. 03. I Woke Up In A Car - first single from the album, is the defination of 'piano rock'. More fast paced paino opening from McMahon, again with the start of the song with only his voice and piano (similiar to track 1). What gets me about the track is the chorus, by far one the best I have ever heard (one of the reasons why SoCo is such an amazing band are their chorus's). Building guitars to the lyrics of "Well I woke up in a car, I traced away the fog so I could see the Mississippi on her knees. I've never been so lost, I've never felt so much at home. Please write my folks and throw away my keys". Fast paced song, exceptional lyrics of moving on, and amazing instrument plays makes this one a classic. 04. If You C Jordan - I'll give the band credit for writing a song about a childhood bully, plus putting pop sounding instruments to the song, but as a whole I'm not a fan of this track. In a way, it's too poppy and McMahon's vocals go from edgy to plain whiney on this one. Always skipped. 05. The Astronaut - first true ballad on the CD, but one that does fall short on some levels. My biggest problem with this track is comparing ones self to a space traveler, how tackful is that? it's a shame becase the piano on this track is excellent, along with the drums and McMahon's lyrics hit perfect pitch on the chorus, espicially when saying "I need to be high". If you take out the stupid comparison, it's a great song, so if one can get past that then I'm sure you'll enjoy the song much more then I do. 06. Hurricane - best song on the CD, would be the top SoCo song if not for that pesky old "Konstantine" song. Great monotone opening, giving into heavy guitars and a perfect drum line. McMahon basically ditches the piano on this one (except for the small solo near the end) to focus on keeping up with his band mates thriving guitars throughout. Make no mistake, this one is a rock song that will get you off your ass. Slow break of McMahon on the piano to the lyrics of "You don't do it on purpose, but you make me shake. Now I count the hours 'til you wake with your babies breath, breathe symphonies. Come on sweet catastrophe." to a final pounding chorus is amazing. 07. Cavanaugh Park - much better ballad then the first one on this track, about childhood reflection and what we all once had innocence wise before growing up. Is perfectly placed on the CD to go after the up-tempo 'Hurricane'. McMahon again shines on this, his work on the piano is amazing. Only thing keeping from it getting a better grade is the lyrics are subpar in my opinion. 08. Fall - another one of my favorites. Again McMahon ditches the piano to focus only on singing, although this is a much slower song then 'Punk Rock Princess' and 'Hurricane'. Very slow begining to the track with only vocals over a blase guitar and drum line, however both picking up to McMahon's pleading chorus of "And so I fall." The lead into the second chorus of "I was so close, that was the most that I have ever been through. Now old cassettes and cigarettes will be the ones to save you. How can you ask for me to stay when all you ever do is go? Just go!" is one of my favorites on the CD. This one gets in your head like 'Hurricane", another great one. 09. Straw Dog - if you ever get your hands on a live perfomance of this song, cherish it because it's amazing live. That said, this is one of their more poppy songs, however the guitar riffs are simply addictive and will have your head swaying back and forth through out the entire track. Song about confusion and trying to figure out what to do next, the fast paced guitars and extrememly catchy (once again on this CD) chorus make this one another great one. 10. Good News - really nothing special about this track, lyrics and instruments are very bland and lacking any sort of direction on this track. I really see this one simply as a filler track without any sort of purpose or audience to enjoy it. Shame because it's really on the only track on the CD that isnt aimed to anyone or different enough to give credit for at least attempting to write. Always skipped. 11. Drunk Girl - as a guy who has done this way too many times, I always laugh at this song. Very poppy, but they lyrics are just plain funny to me, espicially simply saying "I kissed a drunk girl on the lips" as part of your chorus. Brings me back to some questionable calls of my own drinking life! Great boozing song! 12. Not What It Seems - I want to like this song a lot more then I actually do. The message of ones life being worse then what people actually thinks it is is an intriguing topic to write about. Chorus is great, as usual, but the insrumentals leading into it are lacking any sort of buildup. Most tracks also feature a great fast paced section to the song, which would have been great on this track, however is absent. 13. Your Gone - I'm shocked more people don't like this song. I think the mixture of acoustic and electric guitars throughout the song fits the song perfectly, espicially when the emotions are suppose to be one of sadness and anger at the same time. What makes this track though are McMahons pleas of "Your gone... your gone... your gone... your gone... your gone... your gone... your gone away. If you don't like being hurt then please don't stay." The raw emotion going into each 'your gone' makes shivers go down my spine each time. 14. Globes And Maps - best piano ballad on the CD. Only the piano and McMahon vocals on this one, where he is simply spilling his hear about missing someone. I'll always give massive credit to anyone who has the courage to write a song that exposus themselves down to their core, which this track absolutly does. The final chorus and meloncholy piano base can invoke some tears. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are smart, sexy, and melodic, influenced by years of Elton John and The Beach Boys yet definitely sporting a large dose of New Found Glory and Simple Plan. Most of the writing is done by pianist/frontman Andrew McMahon. McMahon has a way of taking the experiences, the positives and negatives of his everyday life and turning them into engaging and sometimes uncomfortable anecdotes, the verbage put to music with a definate hook. Guitarist Partington has his say on the album as well, his edgier music providing a great counterbalance for some of McMahon's softer offerings. Andrew McMahon went above and beyond on this release, perfectly expressing the emotions that make the genre as popular as it is. From love and loss to anger and frustration, to even just a few wierd lyrics about child hood bullies, the lyrics of this album are just as dynamic as the hypnotizing sound placed to them. // 8

Overall Impression: There's really not much more I can say about this. Something Corporate is an awesome band I've had the pleasure of seeing live a few times. This album is the epitome of great music. I could listen to this album for so long and never get tired of it. Some people give the songs Drunk Girl, If You C Jordan, and a couple other of the faster songs on the album a bad rap, but I really like when SoCo picks up the pace. I think Drunk Girl is a pretty funny song, and If You C Jordan is a good transformation of just saying you don't like a kid to saying you hate him. The lyrics get angrier at the end. I'd say this CD is worth the money it costs, and it gives a lot in return. // 9

Leaving Through The Window Reviewed by: lassise, on february 05, 2004

Sound: This band is a great piano punk rock band. When most people hear piano rock, they think what?!? Piano? Punk Rock? That Is Not A Combo?!? Wrong!! Something Corporate has taken a new approach on music by adding a piano while still keeping the music rocking. They are really different from anything I have ever heard before and it is a great CD. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the songs are very good and never do you get the feeling of "I've heard this before." Their lyrics are deeper than your typical emo punk band and I think it really adds to the whole Something Corporate experience. // 10

Overall Impression: This is their first full length album and it ends with quite an impression. Anyone can enjoy thier soft and fast rock. The band is quite a show live as well if you ever want to check them out. I would recommend this CD to anyone who enjoys wholesome Good music. Their talent is just amazing and should be experienced by everyone. Buy This Cd! // 10

Leaving Through The Window Reviewed by: Hairy rocker, on june 16, 2005

Sound: One of the most underrated bands out at the moment, these guys deserve to be one of the best bands in the world, this is their first major effort with Geffen, a label usually associated with teen rock bands, Something Corporate live up to this but also provide something for everyone. The best tracks for me are the pop-punk 'I Want To Save You', the piano driven 'Drunk Girl' and the beautiful ballad 'Globes And Maps'. The piano really compliments the way this band sounds and makes them different from anyone out there. // 10

Lyrics: Andrew McMahon, lead singer and piano player extroadinaire has penned most of the lyrics, and he hsa done a superb job. This is on of the best albums I have ever heard about being a teenager and how to cope with it. Whether it's about being bullied ('If You See Jordan') or the trials of a relationship ('Hurricane') it's superbs from start to finish. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best debut albums that has ben produced, you can tell these people really care about their music and have thought long and hard about which material to put on it, it works a treat. In my opinion, a band to look out for in the future. // 10

Leaving Through The Window Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2006

Sound: SoCo managed once again to get piano and guitar together and even some acoustic parts (You're Gone) to come up with an amazing touching sound matching just perfectly with the lyrics. The piano only songs (Cavanaugh Park, Globes & Maps) are just so beautifully written by Andrew McMahon that I'm considering learning piano to play them! The guitar for itself isn't impressive, the riffs are quite simple, no big solos too but their style just doesn't offer the occasions to throw in these kind of things. Fall is simply a masterpiece and proves that power chords can always do the job when the melodly is there! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are not too deep and the slightly whining voice of McMahon is totally great. The main themes are frustration (If You C Jordan), hope (Good News), a girl that's feeling used in Straw Dog and so on. If you just get dumped by your girlfrien/boyfriend this is a good album to listen to. // 9

Overall Impression: Like some other reviewers written, this band is really underrated. None of my friends knew it but I introduced it to them and now they wanna see them live! I bought all of their albums and they are just as good. They really deserve it. If mine was scratched to death, eaten by a dog or lost I'd buy it all over again. // 9

Leaving Through The Window Reviewed by: tml492, on january 30, 2006

Sound: The album Leaving Through The Window, starts off with a wonderful song "I Want To Save You." The overall general sound and quality of the album is quite impressive. Andrew McMahon makes this album with his great vocals and piano playing along with the mix of their guitar and drummers. I think that the mix of that sound is very unique. I'm not all into the whole "emo" style, but I have to say that the music is really good. // 9

Lyrics: Something Corporate being a soft music, emo band, it is really easy to listen to the lyrics. The lyrics in this album vary. It can go to a great love slow song such as "Cavanaugh Park," to more of a loud rock song "Punk Rock Princess." The lyrics are really amazing in my opinion. I enjoyed listening to every song. My favorite lyrics on the album were to the songs "Hurricane," "Cavanaugh Park," "I Woke Up In A Car" and "I Want To Save You." To me, those songs had the most beautiful lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: When listening to Something Corporate, you can really tell that they really love their music. If this CD were to be stolen, destroyed or lost, I would definently go out and buy it again. I would recommend this album to anyone who enjoys great, soft, loving music. It is really an influential band. Andrew McMahon, the lead singer and keyboard player, has been diagnosed with Acute Lymphatic Lukemia. The doctors expect a full recovery. // 10

More Something Corporate reviews rating latest review