Primitive Review

soulfly: Primitive
Released: September 26, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
Primitive finds Cavalera in a reluctant holding pattern.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.1
 8.5
 7.7
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Primitive Reviewed by: THE KORNMAN, on june 24, 2004

Sound: Primitive is a pretty heavy album. It has some killer riffs and deafening vocals. It's heavy almost all the way through, but then there just had to be a rap song. It's still a hard-rockin, heavy-hittin album, though. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. The experimentation with all of the different featured vocalists (example: Chino Moreno, Corey Taylor, etc.) is awesome. I also think it's great that Max put a Portuguese song on the album (Mulambo). Very experimental and creative. Max's voice is wonderfully aggressive, gritty, but melodic, in a way. // 10

Overall Impression: All I have to say is: awsome rockin album, go freakin buy it. // 10

Primitive Reviewed by: postmortem2006, on august 27, 2007

Sound: Soulfly's second record contiues on the nu-metal path taken by their debut album (and more importantly, Sepulutra's calssic 'Roots' album). One of the very few nu-metal albums that were actaully good, Primitive is brimming with aggression and overflowing with headbanging riffs. Opener 'Back to the Primitive' has since become a live staple at Soulfly gigs and it's really sets the tone for what's yet to come from this astonishing album. This record features plenty of guest appearances, from Corey Taylor (Stone Sour/SlipKnot) to the likes of Tom Araya (Slayer). Deftones frontman Chino Moreneo makes an appearance on 'Pain', which is a fantastic song with plenty of bounce in it. One of the standout tracks on the record however, is the immense 'Jumpdaf--kup' featuring Corey Taylor, a song that oozes anger-fuelled brutality and emulates the feeling of being at a gig yourself. Simply put, for a nu-metal record this album is fantastic. The tribal rhythms are also present and accounted for here, making for quite a spectacular listen. If you love metal hten chances are you'll like this, although the whole nu-metal vibe and the tribal stuff might put some people off. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are relatively varied on this record, Back to the Primitive, from what I can gather, is a kind of protest song with the refrain 'F--k all your politics, F--k all your bullshit'. 'Terrorist' is rather self explanatory, and the rest is a kinda mixed bag that I cna't get much sense out of I'm afraid. Lyrics were never my strong pioint, so I'll just give this a 7. // 7

Overall Impression: Well Soulfly's second effort certainly blows their self-titled debut right outta the water. There aren't very manys songs that are worth skipping on here, possibly two at max (pardon the pun). The digipak edition contains a live rendition of 'Tribe', 'Soulfire' (which is a remix of 'Fire' from their debut) and 'Soulfly; Universal Spirit Mix' (which is again, a remix from their debut). Personally, my favourite songs on the record are Back to the Primitive, Bring It, Jumpdaf*ckup, Boom, FlyHigh and (if you count the digipak edition) Soulfire.This album really is brilliant, the tribal rhythms make for a breath of freash air when compared to all the other nu-metal 'albums' being released at the time. If you can hunt down the digipak edition (I'd suggest ebay) then get it, the bonus tracks are worth it, although a live track and two remixes might not sound like much. This is a must for any fan of Sepultura's later offerings, although if you heard Soulfly's later records first (like Dark Ages or Prophecy) then this might be a little offputting. But all in all, this album is amazing. Pick it up, it'll be money well spent. // 8

More Soulfly reviews rating latest review
+ Savages 7.9 10/03/2013