A-Sides Review

soundgarden: A-Sides
Release Date: Nov 4, 1997
Label: A&M
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Grunge, Alternative Metal
This collection of what can loosely be defined as "hits" briefly sweeps over the indie years with SubPop and SST, placing emphasis on the band's successful A&M years.
 9.6
 9.7
 9.4
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
A-Sides Reviewed by: rockon1824, on january 30, 2006

Sound: Before I bought this CD, I had only heard a couple songs by Soundgarden, and decided to check them out mostly because I was hoping they'd be like Audioslave, which Chris Cornell (Soundgarden vocalist) now fronts. They do have similarities, but Soundgarden is a little harder. They have some softer, slower songs, like Black Hole Sun and Burden In My Hand, but also have some harder stuff such as Ty Cobb and Jesus Christ Pose. I was impressed overall with the sound, as it had good guitar riffs and good vocals. // 9

Lyrics: If you've listened to Audioslave, you already know that Chris Cornell is a gifted songwriter. The lyrics on this album are pretty deep and thought provoking and match well with the music. In addition to that, Chris Cornell probably has one of the best voices in rock today, and there's no exception here. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, if you are an Audioslave fan or are just looking for something new and different to listen to, this is a good album. If you are a Soundgarden fan, this is good because it has all they're best songs on one album. Personally, my favorite songs are Outshined, Pretty Noose, Burden In My Hand, Blow up the Outside World, ok, I like them all! There is really nothing I don't like about this CD. I would definitely buy it again if I lost it, and I'm even looking into other Soundgarden CD's to buy. // 9

A-Sides Reviewed by: soundgardner, on january 21, 2008

Sound: This is a collection of Soundgarden's songs that were popular. They were very hesitant to call it a greatest hits album. The great part about this CD is that it does a great job of showing the diversity of Soundgarden's sound. It starts out with a couple of their early songs (Screaming Life-Ultramega OK) that show their raw talent, heaviness and energy. Chris Cornell's voice and Kim Thayil's great riffing skills really shine through on the first two songs. Then next couple of songs come from Louder Than Love, the first grunge album to be released for a major label. They still have the energy and heaviness of early work but they are clearly starting to hone their skills. The rest of the songs are polished gems from Badmotorfinger, Superunknown and Down on the Upside. The production quality increases exponentially on these songs. The songs become more intricate, deeper and more meaningful without losing the heaviness. "Black Hole Sun" is just one of many amazing songs on this album. "Jesus Christ Pose", the only song credited to the whole band, starts with an awe-inspiring drum line and slowly builds to some of the heaviest bass and guitar work from the 90s, not to mention Cornell's stronger-than-ever vocals. // 10

Lyrics: These aren't your basic lovey-dovey, sexual-innuendo-filled, any-dufus-with-half-a-brain-could-have-written-this lyrics. Cornell has always been an amazing lyricist and songwriter and this CD really showcases his talents. The depth of these songs is amazing, though "Ty Cobb" isn't exactly the most meaningful of songs. Anyone can relate to the angst and frustration of "Outshined", "Fell on Black Days", "Blow up the Outside World" and "The Day I Tried to Live". Every song's lyrics bring something new to the table and they get better and better as the album goes on. Each song's lyrics perfectly compliment the music behind it. Cornell is one of the best vocalists of all time and his prowess really shines through on this CD. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the album that got me into Soundgarden. Admittedly, I only got this album for about 5 songs but when I listened to the rest of them I was blown away. That's another great thing about this album: there are 17 songs on this album so you're really getting your money's worth. There is not a single song that doesn't belong on this album and it is better than any greatest hits compilation I have heard. "Black Hole Sun" is one of the greatest songs ever created but it is only one of the great songs on this album. My only criticism is that there were so many great songs that didn't make it; this isn't a greatest hits album though, it's just a collection of their more popular songs. Because of this, a number of great songs like "Hunted Down", "Mood for Trouble", "Uncovered", "Slaves and Bulldozers", "Superunknown" and "Zero Chance", to name a few, were left off. I guess that just gives listeners more incentive to buy the other albums, which I highly recommend doing. If my copy of A-Sides was stolen, I would hunt down the individual who stole it, kill him with my bare hands and take it back. If my copy becomes damaged beyond use, I would buy another copy without giving it a second thought. Great collection. // 10

More Soundgarden reviews rating latest review
+ Screaming Life 6.3 11/28/2013