Badmotorfinger Review

soundgarden: Badmotorfinger
Release Date: 1991
Label: A&M
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Grunge, Alternative Metal
Badmotorfinger is perhaps Soundgarden at their prime -a tumultous, pummeling titan equal parts Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, with a psychedelic metal tinge.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.6
 9.6
 9.5
Badmotorfinger Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 07, 2006

Sound: I don't care what some other people say about Soungarden. This is a metal album, and a hell of a good one at that. Lead guitarist Kim Thayil coaxes some Tom Morello-like sounds from his instrument, using shrill feedback and various other effects. He pounds out numerous memorable riffs, from the opening frenzy, Rusty Cage, to the album epic (and my favorite), Slaves and Bulldozers. Chris Cornell shrieks like a madman, and is versatile enough to tone it down when the occasion calls. I swear, he could peel paint off the walls with his Robert Plant impression. He's easily one of the best vocalists of all time. As for the overall sound of this album, it's much more raw than it's follow-up, the smash hit Superunknown. While I do recommend that album too, this is the essential album for the average rock and metal fan. // 10

Lyrics: I have always thought that Chris Cornell wrote mediocre lyrics, especially now that he's formed Audioslave. But, he just sings them with so much conviction, I can't help but listen to every word he's saying. Although the lyrics on this album are decent. // 8

Overall Impression: My pick for one of the best albums of the early '90s, along with Rage Against The Machine's debut. It's a shame that Badmotorfinger was lost among the mainstream successes surrounding them, like Ten from pearl jam and Nevermind from Nirvana, but this is still a great pick up. But if you're looking for that mainstream quality, I also recommend Superunknown, their Blockbuster follow-up, although it's a completely different album. // 9

Badmotorfinger Reviewed by: sicformyage, on december 20, 2006

Sound: When I hear this album, I said to myself, "Wow, they must have been really high when they wrote it.". Witch is pretty cool. It's a calm record that has a few upbeat songs. I listen to this album when I sleep, or when I'm angry I'll listen to slayer, or some other thrash band, then this to calm myself down. The sound of it is very low tuned but not like the nu-metal low tuned. it's only dropped 1 step with E at D flat. // 9

Lyrics: I love the lyrics. I was suprised at what the songs were about, and how Chris Cornell sang them. The lyrics to with the music very well. The music is slow sad kind of music, so are the lyrics. Like in "Outshined" He sings "I'm lookin' California/But feelin' Minasota." It's just awesome. I could go on and on about how Chris sings, But for times sake, I'm going to say he's a damn god singer. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the only soundgarden album I own, But I have heard a few others. I think superunkown is probably the better album. But it sounds to me like he uses weird tunings on most of the songs. I first got this album for learning on guitar, but now I use it to relax, and I think that if your getting it for guitar work, get superunknown, but it's your choice. I think the most impressive song on this album is 'New Damage'. It's an epic. But most of the songs on this album are made to be like epic songs. Most of the riffs are very heavy like in 'Outshined' and 'Rusty Cage'. This album remains my favorite grunge album. If this album were stolen or lost I would rent it from my library again. If I had bought it I would have bought something else because I feel the need to have more influences. If I were to buy something else it would be blues, not grunge. But anyway, the whole album is awesome. // 10

Badmotorfinger Reviewed by: Benjamin2112, on january 30, 2012

Sound: This is one hell of an album by the legendary Seattle rock band Soundgarden. It's deadly guitar attack, fierce drum beats, impeccable vocals, and vivace bass lines make it one if not the best album of the 90's. If you like any of Soundgarden's work and haven't heard this record, then you should test drive it immediately and hopefully wont be disappointed. This album also marks bassist Ben Shepard's first studio outing with the band, as Hiro Yamamoto had left. It is also their 2nd release on major label A&M as well. This is a total grungy, deep, heavy album that rocks on all levels. Quite wonderful, bada-s work. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are great and feature many great verses and choruses and are instantly singable and easy to rock out with. The lyrics seem to fit perfectly with each accompanying song as well, making it an awesome listen. Chris Cornell is a f--king genius at singing, high or low Chris can do it. // 10

Overall Impression: This compares very well to other Soundgarden albums, it has certainly a nice touch from "Louder Than Love" that adds to its heaviness and points in the direction of "Superunknown" as well. The most impressive songs on the album I would say IMO are: "Rusty Cage", "Outshined", "Slaves & Bulldozers", "Jesus Christ Pose", "Face Pollution", "Somewhere", "Searching With My Good Eye Closed", "Mind Riot", and "Drawing Flies". I love it's heaviness, shrill and fast guitar solos, bass playing, and it's insane vocals. I don't hate anything about it really. If it were stolen or lost, I'd sure as f--k buy it immediately again. // 10

Badmotorfinger Reviewed by: MorbidAngel333, on march 13, 2006

Sound: Ths album is a sonic force to be reckoned with. Cornell's vocal abilities combined with fuzzed out guitars, basslines and powerful drumming make this album devastating and inspiring all at the same time. In the early '90s Soundgarden, even with their handful of hit songs, were real grunge kings. During this time period, while most others were pushing along power ballads or having overnight dance music succeses, Soundgarden were the supreme beings of grunge music, and their third album proves this further. // 10

Lyrics: Chris Conell's religious insights and intellectual lyrics move along nicely with the rhythm section. Whether he sings of being breaking away, being outshined, freedom, or jesus christ, the feeling of overcoming obstacles usually comes across. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to it's most prominent pier, Pearl Jam's Ten, this album does much better as far as vocals, song structure, and overall talent. Rusty Cage, Outshined, Slaves and Bulldozers and Holy Water are among my favorites, but every song on the album is far better than anything else from their counterparts. I love the way the album flows along rampaging heavily through time at a nice pace, never too fast nor too slow. There's nothing I can say I dislike about this album, and I would definitley have to buy it again, but it's not like I would let anything happen to it. // 10

Badmotorfinger Reviewed by: RATM_Rocha, on june 24, 2006

Sound: Personally I love Soundgarden, they should have been the grunge heroes of the early '90s, And this CD proves how Soundgarden should have been the heroes of grunge, not Nirvana. Chris, Matt, Kim etc. put the record together very well, with different mixes of music, from slaves and bulldozers to jesus christ pose to searching with my good eye closed! A very good mix of grunge metal which fits together to make one hell of an album, that got cancelled out by Nirvana's "Nevermind." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics vary from song to song, Cornell doesn't sing with the same voice twice, the lyrics just blew me away "And you stare at me in your Jesus Christ Pose, Arms held out, Like you've been carrying a load." Lyrics like that blew me away, Cornell is a real genius, and my favorite lyricist. Cornells voice fits in well with the drums, the bass, and guitar, he knows what note to hit his voice out, Cornell is just a pure Genius, without him I don't like I'd be into metal/grunge, I'd be liking that MC crap if it wasn't for Cornell, thanks Chris. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best grunge album ever in my opinion, beating out rivals like Pearl Jam's "Ten", Nirvana's "Nevermind" And Alice in Chains "Dirt", And the best grunge song of all time "Jesus Christ Pose" Destroys All other grunge! My Favorite songs off the album are "Outshined," "Slaves And Bulldozers," "Face Pollution," "Rusty Cage" and the all time Classic "Jesus Christ Pose" (what a song). I love everything about this album, the riffs, the vocals, the complex drum beats, everything is amazing. There is nothing bad about it, apart from the artwork on the front, I'm not too keen on that, but oh well, Its still a belter album. If it was stolen, I would be right down to HMV even if it's midnight and buy it, I can't live without this CD. // 10

Badmotorfinger Reviewed by: slowhand91, on may 16, 2008

Sound: Soundgarden are easily one of the greatest bands of the 90s, perhaps even all-time, and Badmotorfinger is them at the peak of their musicianship, passion and intensity. The sound on this album is 100% raw, unbridled hard rock with heavy, detuned guitar thunder and piercing vocals to match. It might not be as musically mature as later efforts, but the amount of energy present makes up for it ten fold. Easily the heaviest record of the grunge era next to Dirt. // 10

Lyrics: Chris Cornell's lyrical abilities are simply amazing. His master of metaphore and phrasing is second to none, and his voice is godly. This album really shows off his talent, especially as a vocalist. Take note to Slaves & Bulldozers and Jesus Christ Pose. // 10

Overall Impression: Rusty Cage- The breakdown from a fast, frantic rocker to a sludgy, pounding riff make this one of the best on the disc. Outshined- Heavy riff. Ripping vocals. Slaves & Bulldozers- What a song! Very heavy. Props to Chris on this one, he really screams his lungs out. Jesus Christ Pose- A frenetic song with superb musicainship, especially on Matt Cameron's part. Face Pollution- A short and uptempo little song. Very cool. Somewhere- Time to slow it down a bit. Love the melody and chorus on this one. Searching With my Good Eye Closed- Amazing. The riff is so haunting and the lyrics are phenominal. Room A 1000 Years Wide- Carrying the mistique of the last track over, this one rocks a little harder. Awesome. Mind Riot- I adore this track. The melody, the vocals, the lyrics, the musicianship, everything. The best slow track on here. Drawing Flies- Another short, fast one like Face Pollution. Holy Water- Midtempo rocker with cool vocals by Cornell, as always. New Damage- The only track I'm not too fond of. It closes the album well and Chris really sings on this one. It just never stood out to me. Overall, Badmotorfinger should be in anybody's collection if they're a fan of hard rock. // 10

More Soundgarden reviews rating latest review
+ Screaming Life 6.3 11/28/2013