Louder Than Love Review

soundgarden: Louder Than Love
Release Date: 1990
Label: A&M
Genres: Grunge, Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
It's worthwhile to sift through Louder Than Love, but don't expect consistency.
 9.5
Louder Than Love Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2006

Sound: Not many people know about this album, as it is due to the lack of reviews of it on this site. I was lucky to find this album at Best Buy and picked it up. This is, I dare to say, nothing like the '90s Soundgarden. It is pure, raw and probably the best Soundgarden material. The tempo is slow, yet heavy. Chris Cornell sounds a tad different but this is a very early record (I think their first) for Soundgarden. I was fairly impressed. The music sounds kind of eerie but in a good way. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are fairly well put together. No complaints here just old school Chris Cornell. // 10

Overall Impression: This album sounds nothing like any other Soundgarden, or Audioslave album for that matter. Plainly said this album is very diverse and hard to describe. But if you are a Soundgarden or Audioslave this is definitely a buy if you can find it. You will be surprised at first but happy in the end, at the sound of this record. // 10

Louder Than Love Reviewed by: HardAttack, on april 22, 2006

Sound: This is where grunge really started to take off. And as always, Soundgarden is right on top of the genre. The album was recorded in 1989 but it sounds absolutely nothing like something that came from the '80s. The guitars are great (thank you Kim Thayil) and Cornell's voice, although different due to this being their first album, is still fantastic. This Soundgarden is a bit different and more experimental, but it's definately something you should buy. You can clearly hear how some of today's greatest bands are influenced by Soundgarden. Cornell & Thayil's brilliant and often times strange song writing abilities can be heard in bands such as System Of A Down and Tool. // 10

Lyrics: I always thought Cornell's lyrics to be very well thought out, and full of nothing but meaning and diversity. This album is no exception. In fact, I would dare say that this album is Soundgarden's deepest ever made. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was the only one missing from my Soundgarden collection. I now have all of their albums. This one was a bit hard to find, as was 'Down On The Upside'. The ones you see most often in the stores are 'Superunknown' and 'Badmotorfinger' since they were their best selling ones and the ones that really defined them as a band. But I can honestly tell you, that any fan of this kind of music (grunge, rock, metal) would be foolish to pass up the oppertunity to own a great album like this. Go buy it. // 10

More Soundgarden reviews rating latest review
+ Screaming Life 6.3 11/28/2013