Back From The Dead Review

spinal tap: Back From The Dead
Released: Jun 16, 2009
Genre: Comedy Rock, Heavy Metal
Label: Spuzzle, Polymer
It's a bunch of re-recorded songs, mostly from the 1984 mockumentary movie, "This Is Spinal Tap." The actual movie is included on a second disc.
 8.8
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Back From The Dead Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on october 17, 2013

Sound: Spinal Tap were the original Tenacious D. The main differences were that Spinal Tap have a musical style similar to the "Hair Metal" of the 1980's, while the D are just plain standard Rock style. Another important thing to note is that both groups are classified as "Comedy Rock," meaning their lyrics poke fun at pretty much anything and everything you can imagine. As for the Tap's "Back From the Dead" album, it's a bunch of re-recorded songs, mostly from the 1984 mockumentary movie, "This Is Spinal Tap." The actual movie is included on a second disc. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are so funny that I have decided not to print them in this review, due to the fact that if I start thinking about the lyrics, I will undoubtedly lose all focus and become unable to finish writing. The actual music is really impressive, considering the fact that well, the members of Spinal Tap are actors, not musicians. That's right, the band didn't exist before the movie came out. Nowadays, I could easily see actors making good music, what with Jared Leto's rock group, 30 Seconds To Mars (who, despite what annoying people say, aren't terrible), as well as Scarlett J's couple of albums, but this was the beginning of all that. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great album, but I don't see the point in re-recording these songs and putting them out on a whole new album. They don't really sound that different or that much better from the original movie soundtrack versions. The thing that makes "Back From the Dead" a cool thing is the fact that essentially, the movie and the re-recorded soundtrack are now available in one compact package. Oh and there's absolutely no denying the fact that the cover art to this album is totally awesome. So, I guess there's another thing that makes "Back From the Dead" cool. // 9

More Spinal Tap reviews rating latest review