14 Shades Of Grey Review

7.9
 9.5
reviews (5) 1 comment vote for this album:
14 Shades Of Grey Reviewed by: Angelic_Demon, on july 19, 2004

Sound: The sound can be really depressing, but that is great. I like the way they combine the metal with the emotions of some of the songs, like they do on So Far Away and How About You. But there are heavy songs on it too, Like Price To Play. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, they always show what the want to say. The voice is great, Aaron's voice is one of the best ever! // 8

Overall Impression: This album is great, even compared to the two other great albums, they've done a great job considering there are high exspections, because of songs like "It's Been Awhile" from other albums. I would without a doubth replace it if it were stolen! // 10

14 Shades Of Grey Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 30, 2003

Sound: This album is probably the most melodic of Stainds albums yet. If you are a fan of the heavy powerful songs, 'Price To Play' will have you hooked. On the other hand, if you like the calmer, more melodic rock music, 'So Far Away' will have you hooked. For fans of rock music overall this albums sound will be as good as any, for melodic rock fans, there will be times when you ask yourself 'why?', as there will be for just for the heavy rock fans out there. Overall, though, I think the album uses better effects than that off 'Break The Cycle', and also has an easier sound to listen to than 'Break The Cycle'. // 8

Lyrics: One of my favourite things about Staind are their lyrics. They are all so heart felt and with some songs I feel as if I relate. Especially on this album. The lyrics to 'Fade Away' are brilliant. 'Zoe Jane' is a heartfelt account of how Aaron Lewis feels about his new daughter, and it works well. I don't think any of the lyrics on this album, bar 'Fade Away' match up to the lyrics off 'Break The Cycle' though. It seems that for this album, they have really just focussed solely on the music. // 6

Overall Impression: I really enjoy listening to this album, and I would recommend other people to buy it. It will not be for everyone. Heavy rock fans may be dissapointed by the lack of 'heavier' songs, but more general rock fans will be pleased with this album, as it touches alot of areas many other 'nu-metal/grunge' bands do not. The album has alot of ups, e.g.'Intro', 'So Far Away', 'Fade Away', but also has the downs e.g. 'Layne. If you're looking for a record to mosh to - avoid. If you want a nice heartfelt melodic rock album - buy it. // 8

14 Shades Of Grey Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 19, 2004

Lyrics: Aarons lyrics are always deep and thought provoking. Usually in the earlier staind albums he sings about how fucked his life has been. Which I love because I love songs with alot of emotion. In this album he doesn't as much which proves in his songwriting he writes from his heart, like in Tormented his lyrics were angry and he sang about ending his own life. In Dysfunction they were also angry talking about his family and how thing were fucked up at his home. In break the cycle he sang about stuff like world destruction and about how some kids mom ask him how to help her kids problems and It also has a Love Song (Its been awhile) Then in 14 shades of grey you see that he writes from his heart because in Zoe Jane he writes how much he care about his daughter and you can tell how much his life has gotten better since he has a wife that he love and a daughter that he loves. He has nothing bad in his life to write about. That why I love Aaron Lewis's songwriting because he writes from the heart. // 10

Overall Impression: I think if you are a fan of great songwriting and love Aaron Lewis's voice you will love this album. I would most likely buy this album again if it got stolen. // 8

14 Shades Of Grey Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2005

Sound: Aaron Lewis has a good voice and there are some good guitar parts on here, but the sound is mostly mellow and slow, leaving the album unbalanced with 90% of the disc being slow songs. Also, few songs are very catchy, the only songs I really liked were Price To Play, How About You, and I thought So Far Away was alright. I never cared much for all of the other songs, though. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, Staind is good at writing songs, and Aaron Lewis makes them work on certain songs. However, I found some songs, like Yesterday, Fray, and Layne to be rather irritating, and they could have done a lot more to make those songs alot better and make better use of the lyrics. So, while the lyrics aren't bad, they pale in comparison to the raw and emotional lyrics from Break The Cycle. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, being a big fan of Staind, and a huge fan of the Break The Cycle album, I have to say I am not impressed with this album at all. I just never liked it very much. I thought it just felt forced and dull. If you're wanting a great Staind album, pick up Break The Cycle, and maybe download Price To Play, but I can't recommend this album. I hope Chapter V is way better than this when it comes out next month. // 4

14 Shades Of Grey Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on february 21, 2006

Sound: Given that I listen to alot of heavy metal, this was a break, and it was worth it. Although it's basically all slow music, it's actually very good. Price To Play, How About You, So Far Away, Yesterday, Fray, Zoe Jane, and Fill Me Up are the only good songs on the album, but's that's what I think. The music is very easy to get attached to. The acoustic (I think) is very skillfully exploited, and it seems as if the bass is guiding it. Try turning the bass off on your computer and listen to it. The bass is very importatnt as you can see. // 10

Lyrics: Aaron is an incredible singer, and the lyrics prove that. It sounds like there is a meaning to the songs because of the lyrics. And since I listen to mostly metal, my dad has grown to hate most of the bands, Staind has become the halfway point. I would say to improve, try adding less slow songs to the next CD. // 8

Overall Impression: Staind is one of those rare bands that actually sounds like they can play their instruments (Fall Out Boy, I'm looking at you). I have now devoloped a need to listen to it everday day. Though it's a little on the slow side, 45% of it is trash, the ones that are good are awseome. Definatly by it if it was stolen. // 9

More Staind reviews rating latest review
+ Staind 8.1 10/19/2011