Chapter V Review

Released: Aug 9, 2005
Label: Elektra
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal, Post-Grunge
Staind often settles into a stodgy trudge somewhere south of melody, and the Alice/Pearl Jam/Tool forces are still strong.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.3
 8.3
 8.2
Chapter V Reviewed by: soundrock31, on august 13, 2005

Sound: As far as sound goes, Staind is delivering the roughly same sound that came out of the (amazing) third CD they released Break The Cycle. The only difference is that it isn't as good on Chapter V. Although the album has its strong points where Mushok's brick wall of power chords and Aaron Lewis's emotional (but not emo) voice collide perfectly (Run Away, Paper Jesus). Yet on other songs, the raw heaviness tends to implode (Take This, King Of All Excuses). // 6

Lyrics: I really don't think its possible for Aaron Lewis to write bad lyrics. Whether he sings an ultimate love song (Right Here) or speaks of personal horrors (Falling), Lewis can usually bring out the best of his band in his lyrics. Still, despite whatever the band posted on their website about how this is the best material they have ever done, it is not. The lyrics of Chapter V don't nearly compare to the songs of Break the Cycle that portrayed a sick world of hate and crime. // 8

Overall Impression: I love Staind, and I hate to bash them, but after reaching their musical hiatis on Break the Cycle, Staind hasn't realesed much to make one say wow. Despite its shortcomings, this album has its strong points and overall, is much better then its predecessor 14 Shades of Grey (an entire 14 tracks devoted to Lewis's new daughter. Even when singing a tribute to the late, great Layne Stanley, he couldn't stop talking about his daughter). This album is good, but I can't say it amounts to any previous masterpieces of theirs. // 6

Chapter V Reviewed by: bunkeredugly72, on september 26, 2005

Sound: The sound was absolutly incredible. Staind has reached new heights. I absolutly loved this album. To me, this album was much like Break The Cycle. There was everything from beautiful harmonics, to crunchy, heavy distortion. This album was a #1 pick for a reason. The album was also very well mixed in that it starts with a bang, and leaves you craving for more. This band has really come a long way since their debut album. There were a couple of songs though that seemed ackward in that the tone of the singer and the guitars didnt match up, and there seemed to be some times where there would be huge tempo changes that almost made you think another song began. Every song seemed like it was packed full of emotion, but sometimes their emotions are all but nice. Either way, this albums is one of the better ones of the year so far. // 6

Lyrics: 01. Run Away - this was a pretty good opener, it really got me into the album, a lot of talent was shown to me in this peice 4/5. 02. Right Here - if you ask me, this was the best song on the whole CD. It made some serious sense. When I say that, I mean that they really expressed how they felt. This is a most wonderful tune. Excellent lyrics 5/5. 03. Paper Jesus - this song just screams bad karma. It was very poorly written, and it really had a bad message. Everything that could possibly be bad about this song happend. There was zero tone, zero harmony, and zero taste. Everything was messed up 1/5. 04. Schizophrenic Conversations - not an overly impressive peice. It was lfairly lackluster. Maybe some will like it, I just really could not get into it 2/5. 05. Falling - this was a decent song. This is one of those songs where the singer was a bit off from the rest of things. It was well thought out, though. I'll give it that 3/5. 06. Cross To Bear - this is a very original peice. The singer did his best work here, I believe. It had a very amusing intro. For some reason though, this peice left just a little to be desired. They had a good idea though, it just needed a little tweaking 3/5. 07. Devil - not a bad song at all. This is a emotion laden song. Aaron did very good work here. His lyrics were sharp and harmonious 4/5. 08. Please - well done tune. The singer kept with everything. Very emothional and it had a progression here that seemed to build in intensity. The outro was awesome, and it seemed like if that song harder, the cd player would explode 4/5. 09. Everyrhing Changes - decent accoustic intro with very melodic vocals, then the electrics burst in a with a soulful punch. Overall good song 3/5. 10. Take This - this is the best of the slow songs on the record. Vocals arent bad, Aaron seems to croon and whine more than usual in this. That doesnt appeal to me as much, but I know people who like that kinda thing 3/5. 11. King Of All Excuses - this song is one of the crunchiest on the album, has a powerful chorus that really gets the blood flowin'. There is some excellent screaming towards the end of it, but they nearly made parts of the song to blas'e. It was a close shave on this one, but it gets the thumbs up 4/5. 12. Reply - this peice has a grade A chorus that will bring a tear to every rockers eye. It also has some kinda spectatular intro and verse that almost sounds kind of westernish. This is a fantastic way to finish off the record. After this song ended and the cd ended, I thought "wow, I've just been rocked" 5/5. // 7

Overall Impression: This album was #1 for a reason. It started off well, and ended on a good note. That is somthing most bands never can accomplish. I love that this record had some of the best riffs I have ever heard. I hate that this cd is basically a repeat of Break the Cycle and that there was this spell of terrible songs (Paper Jesus and Schizofrenic Converstions). Right Here was without a doubt the best and most impressive of the bunch. It's hard to compare Staind to anyone else, because they really have their own sound, lyric style, and beat that no one else really has. If I had to name another album, I would say it would be 'We Are Not Alone' by Breaking Benjamin. If this album were stolen or lost, I would probably replace it. // 7

Chapter V Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 28, 2005

Sound: For the decade since their first gig in February 1995, Staind became multi-platinum band, released five albums and played numerous amounts of concerts. Their fifth record, "Chapter V," out in August 2005, as singer Aaron Lewis describes it, "is the fifth chapter of feelings in a six-year long book; a narrative of feelings." The band called their fourth album on Atlantic record label "Chapter V" to attract the fans' attention to their first album, 1996's independent release "Tormented" (it's got such an overwhelming response that they decided to re-release their first record). After recording four albums with producer Josh Abraham, the band was looking for something different and thought it was time to change things up. The new record was produced by David Botrill (Tool, Godsmack). The band members admit it was harder to work with the new producer ? what they used to do for four hours, they did a whole day with Botrill -? "he was going for perfection," recalls bassist Johnny April. "Chapter V" starts strong with "Run Away." The moment in the song that got me excited is when you hear drums rolling from the right ear to the left and back. The album is full of beautiful melodies -? they are simple and stick in your head, but there's something wrong with them. You forget about the song when you hear the next one. What I noticed about the record -? all the songs are equally catchy. The track that you hear last is the one that's gonna play in your head for the rest of the day. Doesn't matter which song it was. Most songs are very much alike and are not memorable. The only standout on the album could be semi-acoustic "Everything Changes." The lead single "Right Here" has a catchy chorus due to repetitive lyrics and simple melody. "Paper Jesus" and "Run Away," filled with grinding guitars, are like a little reminder what the band sounded like back when they released "Dysfunction." Skirling guitars on other songs complete the band's "emo" status. Thick layers of heavy-sounding guitars and serious kick drum rhythms push songs in metal intensity. All of the musicians are very skill-wised and every song is played perfectly, which makes the record enjoyable to listen to. // 8

Lyrics: Writing songs for Lewis is the way to get all the things that bother him out. Instead of exploding his emotions directly to people, he puts his feeling in songs, which makes them very personal. You can realize that Lewis lived through each feeling he sings about as he puts his soul into every song. That, plus his perfect vocal delivery, makes songs very reach in sound. Lyrics, being emotions Lewis accumulated inside, are bitter words about how hard relationships and life in general is (apparently all the joy he saves for the ones, who he talks to). The singer claims he tries to be as vague lyrically as possible and puts his bare emotions in songs. There's one track that differs lyrically from all the rest relationship melodrama. "Reply" is a song for all faithful Staind fans -? "So thank you for the letters that/You though you wrote in vain/And for the times you chose/To stand out in the rain/And wait for me." Much better, than thanking fans in the "thank you message" somewhere at the end of a CD booklet. // 8

Overall Impression: Staind found it's niche and invented their own unique style -- unlike their rap-rock colleagues, Staind is one of those rare bands, whom you weren't hear blatant screaming from. Instead of that there a whole lot of crooning and melody-based emotional songs. They could be called the most "emo" band on the alt-rock scene. Most bands have 70% of their album filled by fast-paced songs and a few ballads. Staind has is vice versa -? among 12 track only about three can be called fast. Why not, if powerful ballads are what Staind can do best? They certainly became experts in making crooning rock ballads, but is that all they have talent for? I remember listening to my first Staind album "Break The Cycle." After the third song I started to think "Is he always gonna whine like that?" And nothing changed till the end of the record. Nothing changed till now either. It gets quite annoying when somebody's complaining in your ear for almost all of 12 songs straight on every of 5 albums. Unfortunately that can spoil the whole impression, even if the record is done perfectly. Hopefully, it's the last depressing self-pitying chapter of the band's suffering. Cheer up, guys! // 6

Chapter V Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 10, 2005

Sound: Chapter V, Staind's 5th album (for those that don't know, Tormented was their first), was the first album that I've ever bought the day it came out, and needless to say, it wasn't a waste of time or money. This album has a better mix of heavy and slow songs, as apposed to 14 Shades Of Gray, their last album. Pretty good drum work by Jon, and to my surprise there's actually a couple solos on the disc, something that I don't believe has been done on a Staind record in the past. Overall the sound on the CD appeals to different types of listeners, from people who prefer heavy songs to casual listeners. // 10

Lyrics: When you see a Staind CD, you think depressing lyrics from Aaron Lewis and several angry songs, right? Well, compared to a CD like Dysfunction, it's not even close. Sure, there are a couple songs such as Please or Cross To Bear (I guess) that are negative, but no real depressing songs on this CD. Either way, the lyrics are still very good with a lot of different topics that Aaron wrote about, and very good vocal skills too, particularily on Take This. If you're a fan of screaming in songs though, you'll be disappointed, because the bridge of King Of All Excuses is the only place you'll find Aaron screaming. // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinion, Chapter V is, like guitarist Mike Mushok said, some of the best material Staind has done. If they do more singles after Right Here and Falling, I think that Everything Changes, Take This and either King Of All Excuses or Reply should be singles as well. There isn't a song that I can't listen to on the record though, so that's a good thing. If I lost it or had it stolen then I'd definately buy it again. // 10

Chapter V Reviewed by: subliminalblue, on august 12, 2005

Sound: The first thing I noticed on this CD that differed from previous Staind albums were the solos. Much of the CD sounds like Staind, as it should, but the solos help add a new element to the overall sound. They are not overused or overdone, so the current fanbase won't feel this is a totally new band, but speckled here and there at a welcome pace. Whereas 14 Shades Of Gray sounded like 2nd rate rehash of Break The Cycle, this album is refreshing and breathes new life into a band that some folks were forgetting. It may lack the heavy crunch of some older tracks by them, especially songs off Torment and Dysfunction, but it allows them to move forward and branch out in a new direction, so they aren't dragged down by the dying nu-metal generation. // 8

Lyrics: Typical Aaron Lewis lyrics here, though they aren't as angry as with Dysfunction, depressing as with BTC, or as redundant as with FSOG. Some songs sound a bit redundant, but it allows the album to flow quite nicely. In Run Away he uses a few new pitches and draws some words out, and his voice fluctuates nicely on Right Here. The parts where he let's loose and screams are few and far between, but he still has the range to nail them. Of course the ballads, which they seem to excel at as a band, are top notch. // 10

Overall Impression: After hearing Break The Cycle, one of the albums in my top 10 favorites, I was giddy when 14 Shades Of Gray was released only two years later. I found it to be dissapointing, and thought it lacked what made its predecessors great. So when I picked up Chapter V I was hesitant. This album however is very refreshing, though at the same time generically Staind. It has a mixed variety of song compositions, and gets progressively better with each listen. I enjoy every song on the CD, but especially like Run Away, Right Here, Schizophrenic Conversations, and Everything Changes. I would never allow my CD to be stolen, but knowing that it is solid from start to finish, I may fork out the money again if it ever was. // 10

Chapter V Reviewed by: Metallifan2k5, on august 27, 2005

Sound: One of stainds better sounding albums that I've heard. Definitly an improvment over 14 Shades which I never really liked except for 2 songs (guess which ones). This album has a rare occurance on it where Mike Mushok actually solos (and is pretty good at it too). Great sounding album and some of stainds best music overall. // 10

Lyrics: Arron Lewis is one of the better songwriters of his genre and frankly I'm impressed with the amount hes cutdown on the swearing (not that I really minded it). The songs are as follows: 01. Run Away - 4/5. 02. Right Here - 1st radio single 5/5 (personal fav # 4). 03. Paper Jesus - cool track, one of the harder songs on the album 4.5/5. 04. Schizophrenic Conversations - another cool track with some decent lyrics, one of the 2 songs with any profainity 4.5/5. 05. Falling - 2nd radio single. Decent track but not one of my favs, but doesn't stop me from listening 4/5. 06. Cross To Bear - 3rd fav on the album. Another hard track with kinda depressing, typical arron lewis lyrics. I still likes it 5/5. 07. Devil - not one of my favs again, but still a pretty good track. Sounds sorta depressing in my opinion but most of Staind's music is, so what are ya gonna do? 4/5. 08. Please - fav track on this album, only other song with any profainity and some really good lyrics by Arron. Impressive to say the least 5/5. 09. Everything Changes - awesome song, and one of 2 with a solo by Mike Mushok which is really good considering he doesn't solo a whole lot on any other albums (if at all). Again, great lyrics 4.5/5. 10. Take This - didn't really get into this one, still some decent work by Arron 3.5/5. 11. King Of All Excuses - only song on album with Arron screaming into the mic. Pretty cool track 4/5. 12. Reply - 2nd fav on album, and 2nd song where Mike solos (best solo in my opinion), and yet again Arron did great with the lyrics 5/5. Overall the lyrics were great, Arron Lewis is one of the great ones. // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare with some of my other fav artists(Metallica, SOAD) but it's still great work by Staind. I feel I can listen to this album from track 1 to track 12 without stopping, and I don't own many albums where I can do that. If lost or stolen, well see my review for Metallica's "Ride The Lightning" and you'll see what I'll do to any thief who even considers thinking about robbing me of my music. 5/5 excellent work guys, keep it up! // 10

Chapter V Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2005

Sound: Similar in sound to the softer songs off 14 Shades Of Grey, Break The Cycle, this album has steered away from the more 'meaty' guitar riffs and thrown in a couple of decent solos. In my opinion the sound has become a generica, all the songs are painfully similar, and often the guitar just doesn't fit the vocals. The backup vocals are often off key i.e. "You Didn't Get It." What happened to songs like "Yesterday" and "Mudshovel" where you could feel them? // 4

Lyrics: No one can knock Lewis' work here, he is an excellent writer and an excellent singer. I just wish he'd opened up on this album like in dysfunction. In Chapter V, it sounds to me as if the guitars were done in a seperate room when the lyrics were written. There's just no feeling, it's as if he's simply talking over the music, not singing with it. Imagine "Blow Away" or "Home" without the power in the chorus, and spoken rather than sung. // 6

Overall Impression: I love Staind, I bought this the day it came out, with the hope that they had gone back into heavier direction of tormented and dsyfunction, but with more class, power, and a clear message like in Break The Cycle. I was actually pretty upset when I listened to this CD, and it wasnt because I was connecting with the music. // 4

Chapter V Reviewed by: Let it Happen, on december 02, 2005

Sound: This was an overall strong album. Not quite as good as Break the Cycle, but still a very strong effort. There is not much screaming in the album, so fans of the screaming in Break The Cycle might be a little dissapointed in that respect. However, the music was just as heavy as Break The Cycle. Also, the album had a very good mix of heavy and slow songs. This was good to see after 14 Shades of Gray, which kind of got bogged down in the same song patterns. Of course, Staind has suffered a little in terms of album sales now that the Limp Bizkit era has ended (or is at least nowhere near as popular). As far as the style goes, Staind sticks to their bread and butter sound. However, they make it interesting by changing the pattern and sound of every song on the album. This is kind of innovative for Staind, who are very capable of boring us to tears with their clean verse/heavy chorus routine. However, this is strictly an alternative metal album, and they stick with that genre the whole way through. Overall, a totally cool album with big, heavy riffs and even a few solos. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical Staind. They seem to be in the vein of Break The Cycle. This is good, because this is what Staind does best. They are not happy lyrics, like most of 14 Shades Of Gray was. The lyrics don't deal with self-loathing (as with previous albums), but seem to be mostly dealing with relationships and betrayal/being forsaken. Of course there are a few exceptions, such as "Schizophrenic Conversations," which attempts to take you into Lewis' head. But for the most part, the lyrics deal with relationships gone bad. The lyrics fit the music well. When the music is sort of uplifting and hopeful, the lyrics reflect the same. When the music is dark, so are the lyrics. Lewis is an excellent singer. He sounds just as good on this album as any other of Staind's. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this album compares well with any Seether album, but maybe a little less grungy with less screaming. Fans of Break the Cycle will definitely like this album alot. As far as the most impressive songs, "Right Here" is a great song which really stands out on the album. Also, "King Of All Excuses" is a great angry, hateful song, in which there are really heavy guitar parts, and alot of screaming during the bridge. Gotta love it. Also, "Falling" and "Cross To Bear" and have great heavy riffs with a great chorus. I love the fact that Staind did chose to break their own cycle of clean verse/heavy chorus for all the songs. It makes their music so much more interesting and fun to listen to. I love the guitar tone on the cd. It can get pretty heavy, but the intricacies of Mike's playing still come through. I really don't hate anything about the cd, although one or two songs are a little too uplifting to kick any ass. They're not bad songs, I just prefer the pissed-off, despairing Staind that we hear on the rest of the album. If I lost this album or had it stolen, I would definitely buy a new one. Go do yourself a favor. Buy this album and support the great music that Staind has given us over the years. // 9

Chapter V Reviewed by: chrono84, on december 03, 2005

Sound: This is one of the best work of the band. They put all their feelings in the album and the music is perfectly merged to the words. I think Staind created their own kind of music, a sort of ballads with a mix of electric and acousstic sounds called (by me) melancholy rock. Three songs are perfect example of their style: "Paper Jesus" starts very strongly but at the end 30 seconds are too slow to underline words in it. The other is the couple "Everything Changes" and "Take This" a perfect sequence the reflect my impressions. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics made by Staind are too introspective and maybe misunderstood but reflect feelings and emotions that sometimes are unexplainable. Best lyric is "Schizophrenic Conversations" in which a person is struggled by his blame and begin a schizophrenic conversation with himself. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is obviously similar to the others by the style of the music, but the lyrics are more mature than Break The Cycle and 14 Shades Of Gray. Their way of making music is a sort of post-grunge. They differ especially in one thing: while Cobain explained his angry against the world, screaming his chorus, Lewis keep the same voice tone despite the increasing of guitar strenght in chorus. It means that personal feelings are the only important things in life and all the rest flow around us. // 10

Chapter V Reviewed by: garretts, on january 09, 2006

Sound: Staind never fails to amaze me. No album is alike but all sound awesome and Staind really gets me with the lyrics. I am so attached to Aaron's lyrics b/c they are all true stories (with the exception of two songs off of "Tormented"). I really can cope with their lyrics b/c I've been through alot of the shit they sing about and have said most of it myself too. I can always listen to Staind no matter what mood I'm in. Each album has a different mood. Tormented, which I really don't listen to much, is like a release of extreme anger. I always listen to "Dysfunction" when I'm pissed or to get adrenaline pumping in me. "Break the Cycle" was more of a things-are-comming-together-album. I listen to it when I need an honest release of anger or saddening emotion on a level of a kind of nice "f--k you" to people who has hurt me or I've hurt and still feel guilt about. "14 Shades Of Grey" was a very down to earth emotional album to me. It deals with the death of a friend ("Layne" of alice in chains) and the birth of a daughter and how far they have come and how burdens and torment were starting to go away (hence "so far away"). "14 Shades Of Grey" brings tears to my eyes. I can listen to it for inspirational purposes. "Chapter V" was almost a small combination of each album, in my opinion. I deals with some of the same stresses of the other albums. It reminds me that there is always a way out (besides the dark alternatives). I have the limited edition which has some bonus tracks and a dvd and lyrics to all Staind songs released on a Staind album. I like the use of acoustic throughout the album (especially the limited edition) and then suddenly a turn to something angry and heavy. This album is almost like a push to stay on my feet. It reminds me that it's not easy to stay on your feet or get back up on your feet (hence "Falling"). Mushok kinda went a more alternative way on some songs but still reminds us of the pounding riffs of Staind as well. // 9

Lyrics: I kind of through it all together in that one paragraph didn't I? Well anyway, as I said, Staind is who they are to me b/c of their lyrics. If you were to put Manson's lyrics w/Staind's music then I wouldn't even listen to it. Or for that matter Staind's lyrics with manson's music, I still wouldn't bother with it. Another words their lyrics and music come together perfectly as one. Their lyrics has actually pushed me to do things or get through things I never thought were possible and I mean all Staind albums when I say this. // 10

Overall Impression: The best way to sum it up is label it a materpiece. After all it is their third album in a row to hit #1 on it's release. Their live show is what actually made me even such a bigger fan as to go out and get this album. They sound just like the album live and they play songs from all albums and not just the hits. It's pure adrenaline to me. Go out and get Chapter V limited edition. If it were lost or stolen, I don't know. I think I'll burn a copy of it (since it is legal to make one copy for personal use or back up only). That solves that, but I would buy it again. // 9

Chapter V Reviewed by: staind915, on september 08, 2006

Sound: The overall sound was really well put together. Though at some points the music kinda seemed to screech the horrors to make your hears bleed. But it never happened all the time. A little here and there but it wasn't too noticeable. I like the creativity Mike Mushok puts into some of the riffs he plays throughout the cd. His solo to Everything Changes was absolutley amazing. And for Reply, it was all quick and awesome! But also, Aaron's voice made an amazing effort through this whole album too. // 9

Lyrics: Aaron's heartfelt lyrics really came into play here. From the heart-breaking "Take This", to the ultimate love song "Everything Changes", everything was well written to the point that you can either feel Aarons' pain or his heart of joy. As with great lyrics comes Aaron's amazing voice skills. It made your blood flow in "King Of All Excuses" made your hate rise with songs like "Falling" and "Cross to Bear". Though his major win comes from the moody "Take This". It perfectly blended with Mike's guitar rythmn and made you heart sing during the bridge of the song. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Staind at their best. Not as crunchy as Tormented, or Break The Cycle, but this is thier major step foward and it was done with little flaw. The songs to really look out for as hits are "Everything Changes", "Right Here", "Take This", "King Of All Excuses". I love these songs and I'm sure other people will like them as much as I did. I hate the fact that there's only a dozen songs, but you get what you pay for and it is damn well worth it. I had to lose this CD I'd get my lazy ass off this couch and run over to Best Buy and buy like 5 more copies. // 9

Chapter V Reviewed by: danielbalcombe, on november 01, 2006

Sound: When I purchased this NEW Staind CD I had the highest expectations. As I had grown to love their music and it actully inspires my own personal song writing. This CD I believe does not match 14 shades of grey or Break the Cycle, well lets face it, those albums wear really deep and expressive. But this particular Album, showed me a evolving Staind. From their first Album Tormented they have been chaning their music and I believe it's changing for the better! This new cd's sound focus on a rather 'softer' side rather then the likes of the songs 'MudShovel' and 'Price To Play' although don't get me wrong, there are still some heavy songs, but I see more of a slow side in this CD! // 8

Lyrics: What have I come to expect from Aaron Lewis Lyrics? I have come to expect nothing but Beautiful, flowing and emotinoal lyrics (not emo). I first heard 'Zoe Jane' and was mesmarised by it. Do any of their new songs do the same for me? 01. Run Away - a Heavier song on the album. Not one of my favorites but still a decent listen to. 02. Right Here - the 'title' track. This song flows perfectly, perticuly the chorus. As most of Stainds songs do they build into a massive bridge and chorus. I particuly like the line 'I've got some imperfections But how can you collect them all and throw them in my face'. 03. Paper Jesus - I am personally not a big fan of this song! It seems like they are trying to accomplish what they had in their older songs. But in saying that, the lyrics don't not fail. 04. Schizophrenic Conversations - my favorite song off the album! Although some imperfections can be seen within the song, the lyrics are amazing! I don't know how Aaron fit all the lyrics in the bridge in, but he did perfectly! 05. Falling - honestly, this song is quite good, lyrically! I believe that Aaron never really fails in the lyric department, and this song just proves it! Lyrics can change the whole song! 06. Cross To Bear - I have to be honest, I have never really payed much attention to this song. The lyrics to me are Aarons worst and the song doesnt't do much for Staind. Sorry! 07. Devil - I like this song. One of the better 'heavier' songs on the album. Not much wrong with this song. 08. Please - amazing! My second favorite song, mainly due to the lyric aspect, but the music is also quite amazing and goes perfect with the lyrics! I really do like the last chorus of the song! Also the line Tell me please, Who the f--k did you want me to be? Was it something that I couldn't see? 09. Everything Changes - Very much the same as 'Right Here' nothing stands out incredibly in this song. Although I do love the lyrics and emotion shines throughout Aaron' voice. 10. Take This - I love it! This song, I think is the most emotional song on the whole cd! It reminds me a lot of the song 'Zoe Jane' and I think the music is beautifully written for the lyrics. A unforgetable chorus! 11. King Of All Excuses - my favorite of the heavy songs on the album! Great lyrics! Great music! a Great song. 12. Reply - this song for me, reminds me of 'outside' but not the level of it. A good finish to the album. Not much wrong with this song! Overall Aaron hits everything right and never ceases to amaze me. But, this band is not just Aaron, so credit must go to the remainder of the band who formed nicely in this CD. // 9

Overall Impression: Well it is always going to be hard for Staind to live up to 'It's Been A While' 'Outside' and 'So Far Away'. But nonetheless, they still are making music that is still on it's own in the musis scene. Personnally my favorite song is Schizophrenic Conversations which really holds the top half of this album. I was very impressed with the last couple of songs on the album, which saved some of the, well, un-impressive songs. I would buy this CD again, it is worth it, but just don't expect another 'Break The Cycle' and you will be happy. // 8

More Staind reviews rating latest review
+ Staind 8.1 10/19/2011