Tormented Review

artist: staind date: 04/12/2011 category: compact discs
staind: Tormented
Release Date: 1996
Genres: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
This is a raw performance from Staind, using heavy drums, dark vocals and deep synths.
 9.7
 9.7
 9.6
Tormented Reviewed by: Synectics, on october 14, 2005

Sound: It's amazing how many people love Staind, but have never heard of their very first album. I am almost certain that any current-day fan of Staind could listen to a song or two from "Tormented" and never realize that it was actually Staind. I would certainly call this album a heavy metal album. The guitar riffs are hard and heavy - Mike Mushok did not use a baritone guitar in this album, so his riffs have a much more bite-y, ear-piercing sound. The perfect use of off-key chords and scales gives the slower riffs, such as the one in "4 Walls", gives the songs a very dreary, hopeless expression; it definitely had a strong part in devleloping and creating the "Staind" sound. Mike Mushok also uses a lot of natural harmonics and feedback in his songs, which helps along the metal-ness of each track. Aaron Lewis's growls and screams are heavily highlighted each time he uses them which, unlike the newer albums, he uses extensively. For any metal fan, this is a very good listen. // 9

Lyrics: I was amazed at the difference in lyrics from Staind's newer albums, and their very first. Aaron Lewis is certainly a tortured, troubled person, which is very apparent through the lyrics he writes. The entire album seems like an entire story the opening track, "Tolerate," starts with a man contemplating suicide as he loads a gun. During the very last track, "4 Walls," the sound of a gunshot crackles, and after a long silence, a minister of some sort can be heard reading the Last Rites. Lewis's lyrics show a troubled life, and his voice perfectly conveys it in songs such as "Self Destruct." // 10

Overall Impression: Again, for fans of the newer Staind, you may or may not actually like this album. It is much harder, much heavier, and resembles a metal album -- not a normal rock album like "14 Shades Of Gray." Fans of Staind will also enjoy gettin to hear the track "MudShuvel," which is an earlier, much harder version of "Mudshovel" from their second album, "Dysfunction." To listen to this album, and see how much Staind has evolved and developed as a band from going heavy metal to a rock band with ballads, it is just an amazing thing. Metalists, hard rockers, and most Staind fans will certainly like this record if you haven't heard it, find it and give it a listen. // 9

Tormented Reviewed by: HoverFan#1, on april 12, 2011

Sound: Although the album's sound didn't appeal to many, I loved it! The sound of the screaming was pretty good too. Singer Aaron Lewis was actually suicidal during this time period, with Tormented and Dysfunction, but it really contributed to a lot of great songs! It's a shame it's out of print or I'd definitely get it! 01. Tolerate: To kick off the album, a gun is loaded and cocked. Then we get a cool, feedback laden riff. 02. Come Again: The single off the album. I can't really think of something for this one lol! 03. Break: A creepy chorus effected riff with sudden loud and soft dynamics. It also has the first "solo" on the album, although just a short lick. 04. Painful: I can't really make out the notes in Mike's riff (just like the rest of the album haha), but it's pretty cool! It also has the first actual solo, with hilarious tremolo picking I might add! 05. Nameless: The second riff before the verse is one of my favorite riffs on the album. I love the screaming at the end! 06. Mudshuvel: This is the earlier version of Mudshovel, which later appeared on Dysfunction, the version I personally like better. The harmonic riff is pretty good, though. 07. See Thru: "What is your f***ing problem?!" lol I play that to people at my school! The first riff with the pinch harmonics is another one of my album favorites. The bridge with the whispering, and later talking, is my favorite part of the song. 08. Question?: I noticed, like probably everyone else, that the drums in the beginning are almost exactly the same as in No One's Kind before the solo. For some reason, there's no swearing, which is kinda weird. 09. No One's Kind: Aaron sings kinda funny in this one, eventually singing unintelligibly. There's also a hilarious "I'll kill you!" several times. We also get a supercool solo with the funniest "I'll kill you!" proceeding. 10. Self Destruct: Great dynamics! "I think I'm gonna, think I'm gonna, I WILL SELF DESTRUCT!" 11. 4 Walls: Here's a nice ending to a heavy, nightmare inducing album! "The thoughts from my mind feel the pain as rats claw at my flesh/smell the stench as s*** runs down my leg" hahaha priceless! And finally to wrap it up, the gun loaded and cocked at the beginning is fired. 12. The Funeral: Several minutes after the gunshot, we get a funeral scene. I actually don't like it at all. Being 20 minutes of just about nothing, it's the only part of the album I don't like. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics here are great! A7X's Nightmare, Ozzy's Black Rain, Metallica's Load, and Tool's Lateralus are the only other albums I've heard with awesome lyrics all the way through! And they go great with the music too! Aaron Lewis is and always has been one of the best singers I've ever heard. // 10

Overall Impression: You can't possibly find any comparison between this and any of Staind's other work besides Dysfunction. It's just too different. The Funeral is all I don't like about the album. If it was stolen or lost, I'd probably cry (jk lol, I'd be pissed!) because it's out of print. Anyway, see ya! // 10

More Staind reviews rating latest review
+ Staind 8.1 10/19/2011