In Our Bedroom After The War Review

Genres: Indie Pop, Chamber Pop, Indie Electronic
 8.7
 8.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
In Our Bedroom After The War Reviewed by: Something_Vague, on september 25, 2007

Sound: Anyone who is familar with Star's sound won't be surprised with anything here. The most surprising thing is how consistantly good it is. Their newest release incoorporates more electronic sounds into the mix and is over all more upbeat, and actually a heavier album. It's got some really great and powerful hooks, especially in, "Take Me To The Riot." Yet, it features the same, soft and lovable tragical-quirky-rock that was such a hit on their last album. I'd say this is deffinately an upgrade in terms of their assecesibility of a testament to how well they were click as a band. I feel this is stronger than the nearly identical band "Broken Social Scene's" latest release this year. It feels stronger, and more personal and I just think this is a lot easier to listen too a lot of the time. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty great, I feel like music like this is the focus, yeah the lyrics are cool. Sometimes they can tell a great story, but the beautiful thing is how well Torquil Campbell and Amy Millan compliment each other, and manage to make those cliched stories so much better. The lyrics are either hit or miss here. When they hit, it's still not as powerful as the musical arrangement, and when they miss it doesn't really matter because the music is making up for it. A good example of really awful lyrics and the music kind of making up for it is the song in the middle of the album, "The Ghost Of Genova Heights." Overall, the beautiful arrangement of the music and the how well Torquil and Amy compliment each other really make up for the lyrics being a bit forgettable, except on a few tracks where their story telling is absolutely great, like "Personal." It's a great story about two people putting personals in the newspaper or something, great stuff. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this album is a really great, and overall the good far outweighs the bad. I feel like this is a huge upgrade from their last album, which really had only a few decent songs on it, and the rest were throw away, on this album it's much more consistantly listenable. The bad songs I feel is when they try to go too personal. Stars really shine with their production, their usage of instruments and the ability to really shine with the quirky stories over great beats and riffs. I think the low parts of the album are, "Barricade" and "The Ghost of Geneva Heights." The really great songs are, "The Beginning After The End" "Midnight Coward" 'Personal" and basically the last half of the album really shine. If you like indie rock, if you like Broken Social Scene, then you'll probably love this, if not, give it a try, you might fall in love with the lush production and the cute stories. If it were stolen, well, considering I've gotten an advance copy from a friend who has a friend who has a friend that works somewhere, I can say I'd wait until it comes out on Septemeber 25th and buy it. // 9

More Stars reviews rating latest review
+ Set Yourself On Fire 9.3 05/02/2005