Set Yourself On Fire Review

stars: Set Yourself On Fire
Released: Mar 8, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Pop, Chamber Pop, Indie Electronic
Stars rely instead on melody, charisma, and lyrics as sharp as any modern essayist, and it's all they need to sell the quiet grandness of Set Yourself On Fire.
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Set Yourself On Fire Reviewed by: lifeofagitbox, on may 02, 2005

Sound: Stars are just a wildly creative band that sometimes (most of the time) uses odd instruments (a glockenspiel for instance), electronic sounds/beats, and regular instruments. This band has been causing a revolution for new music, and they sure sound like it on their album. Stars is kind of a side project for most of the members because they have other bands too. I believe these other bands are Broken Social Scene, Metric, and one or two others. The collaboration is amazing and they have very incredible music and sounds. // 10

Lyrics: The boy/girl vocals between Amy Millan and Torquil Campbell really makes Stars stand out among other groups. Amy has the angelic, beautifully translucent voice, and Torquil has this mellow, soothing, yet angry voice. The anger in his voice just really comes out in how easy it is for him to say some of the lyrics. I love the songs that they both sing on like "Your Ex-Lover Is Dead," "The Big Fight," and "One More Night (Your Ex-Lover Remains Dead)" for example. These songs stand out a lot above the rest. The one thing that I can't give a rave review on is how the lyrics revolve around the same theme of "Love." All of the songs are great, and they all flow together real well. The lyrics are original, but the theme remains the same. They only stray from that theme on maybe "Soft Revolution," but it gets somewhat repetitive. I do, however, love every song on this album and they're all incredibly unique in their own right. I can't really get bored with this album. // 8

Overall Impression: I haven't listened to Stars' other efforts, but this one sure is damn good! They have both sides of the field; really mellow songs, and really upbeat songs. "The Big Fight" will stand out as one of the more mellow ones. "He Lied About Death" will most definitely stand out as the most upbeat song on the album, it has the craziest solo (not a guitar, but something electronic, I have no idea though). There's nothing I don't like about this album, it is one of the top cd's in my collection and I listen to it very often. It's one that you just can't get bored of. Check out their video for "Ageless Beauty" that's circulating (it's not the best song on the album, but it's very good). Also, if you're interested in buying it I'd go through the internet because the only record store I found this in was in Seattle where I instantly bought it. // 10

More Stars reviews rating latest review
+ In Our Bedroom After The War 8.7 09/25/2007